Table of population, 1801-1901

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1907

Pages

213-224

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Table of population, 1801-1901', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 2 (1907), pp. 213-224. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=101944 Date accessed: 24 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Appendix No. IV

Table Of Population, 1801 to 1901

Introductory Notes

Area

The county taken in this table is that existing subsequently to 7 & 8 Vict., chap. 61 (1844). By this Act detached parts of counties, which had already for parliamentary purposes been amalgamated with the county by which they were surrounded or with which the detached part had the longest common boundary (2 & 3 Wm. IV, chap. 64–1832), were annexed to the same county for all purposes; some exceptions were, however, permitted.

By the same Act (7 & 8 Vict., chap. 61) the detached parts of counties, transferred to other counties, were also annexed to the hundred, ward, wapentake, &c. by which they were wholly or mostly surrounded, or to which they next adjoin, in the counties to which they were transferred. The hundreds, &c. in this table are also given as existing subsequently to this Act.

As is well known, the famous statute of Queen Elizabeth for the relief of the poor took the thenexisting ecclesiastical parish as the unit for Poor Law relief. This continued for some centuries with but few modifications; notably by an Act passed in the thirteenth year of Charles II's reign which permitted townships and villages to maintain their own poor. This permission was necessary owing to the large size of some of the parishes, especially in the north of England.

In 1801 the parish for rating purposes (now known as the civil parish, i.e. 'an area for which a separate poor rate is or can be made, or for which a separate overseer is or can be appointed') was in most cases co-extensive with the ecclesiastical parish of the same name; but already there were numerous townships and villages rated separately for the relief of the poor, and also there were many places scattered up and down the country, known as extra-parochial places, which paid no rates at all. Further, many parishes had detached parts entirely surrounded by another parish or parishes.

Parliament first turned its attention to extra-parochial places, and by an Act (20 Vict., chap. 19— 1857) it was laid down (a) that all extra-parochial places entered separately in the 1851 census returns are to be deemed civil parishes, (b) that in any other place being, or being reputed to be, extra-parochial overseers of the poor may be appointed, and (c) that where, however, owners and occupiers of twothirds in value of the land of any such place desire its annexation to an adjoining civil parish, it may be so added with the consent of the said parish. This Act was not found entirely to fulfil its object, so by a further Act (31 & 32 Vict., chap. 122–1868) it was enacted that every such place remaining on 25 December, 1868, should be added to the parish with which it had the longest common boundary.

The next thing to be dealt with was the question of detached parts of civil parishes, which was done by the Divided Parishes Acts of 1876, 1879, and 1882. The last, which amended the one of 1876, provides that every detached part of an entirely extra-metropolitan parish which is entirely surrounded by another parish becomes transferred to this latter for civil purposes, or if the population exceeds 300 persons it may be made a separate parish. These Acts also gave power to add detached parts surrounded by more than one parish to one or more of the surrounding parishes, and also to amalgamate entire parishes with one or more parishes. Under the 1879 Act it was not necessary for the area dealt with to be entirely detached. These Acts also declared that every part added to a parish in another county becomes part of that county.

Then came the Local Government Act, 1888, which permits the alteration of civil parish boundaries and the amalgamation of civil parishes by Local Government Board orders. It also created the administrative counties. The Local Government Act of 1894 enacts that where a civil parish is partly in a rural district and partly in an urban district each part shall become a separate civil parish; and also that where a civil parish is situated in more than one urban district each part shall become a separate civil parish, unless the county council otherwise direct. Meanwhile, the ecclesiastical parishes had been altered and new ones created under entirely different Acts, which cannot be entered into here, as the table treats of the ancient parishes in their civil aspect.

Population

The first census of England was taken in 1801, and was very little more than a counting of the population in each parish (or place), excluding all persons, such as soldiers, sailors, &c., who formed no part of its ordinary population. It was the de facto population (i.e. the population actually resident at a particular time) and not the de jure (i.e. the population really belonging to any particular place at a particular time). This principle has been sustained throughout the censuses.

The Army at home (including militia), the men of the Royal Navy ashore, and the registered seamen ashore were not included in the population of the places where they happened to be, at the time of the census, until 1841. The men of the Royal Navy and other persons on board vessels (naval or mercantile) in home ports were first included in the population of those places in 1851. Others temporarily present, such as gipsies, persons in barges, &c. were included in 1841 and perhaps earlier.

General

Up to and including 1831 the returns were mainly made by the overseers of the poor, and more than one day was allowed for the enumeration, but the 1841–1901 returns were made under the superintendence of the registration officers and the enumeration was to be completed in one day. The Householder's Schedule was first used in 1841. The exact dates of the censuses are as follows:—
10 March, 1801
27 May, 1811
28 May, 1821
30 May, 1831
7 June, 1841
31 March, 1851
8 April, 1861
3 April, 1871
4 April, 1881
6 April, 1891
1 April, 1901

Notes Explanatory of the Table

This table gives the population of the ancient county and arranges the parishes, &c. under the hundred or other sub-division to which they belong, but there is no doubt that the constitution of hundreds, &c. was in some cases doubtful.

In the main the table follows the arrangement in the 1841 census volume.

The table gives the population and area of each parish, &c. as it existed in 1801, as far as possible.

The areas are those supplied by the Ordnance Survey Department, except in the case of those marked 'e,' which are only estimates. The area includes inland water (if any), but not tidal water or foreshore.

† after the name of a civil parish indicates that the parish was affected by the operation of the Divided Parishes Acts, but the Registrar-General failed to obtain particulars of every such change. The changes which escaped notification were, however, probably small in area and with little, if any, population. Considerable difficulty was experienced both in 1891 and 1901 in tracing the results of changes effected in civil parishes under the provisions of these Acts; by the Registrar-General's courtesy, however, reference has been permitted to certain records of formerly detached parts of parishes, which has made it possible approximately to ascertain the population in 1901 of parishes as constituted prior to such alterations, though the figures in many instances must be regarded as partly estimates.

* after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that such parish (or place) contains a union workhouse which was in use in (or before) 1851 and was still in use in 1901.

‡ after the name of a parish (or place) indicates that the ecclesiastical parish of the same name at the 1901 census is coextensive with such parish (or place).

[o] in the table indicates that there is no population on the area in question.

— in the table indicates that no population can be ascertained.

The word 'chapelry' seems often to have been used as an equivalent for 'township' in 1841, which census volume has been adopted as the standard for names and descriptions of areas.

The figures in italics in the table relate to the area and population of such sub-divisions of ancient parishes as chapelries, townships, and hamlets.

In the following instances it is possible to show the population back to 1801 for the towns as constituted at the census of 1901:—

(a) Bicester Urban District consists of Bicester King's End and Bicester Market End Townships (both in Ploughley Hundred).

(b) Chipping Norton Municipal Borough consists of Chipping Norton Township (Chadlington Hundred).

(c) Thame Urban District consists of Thame Parish (Thame Hundred).

(d) Wheatley Urban District consists of Wheatley Chapelry (Bullingdon Hundred).

Table Of Population

1801–1901

Acreage18011811182118311841185118611871188118911901
Ancient or Geographical County (fn. 1) 483,626111,977118,953138,224153,526163,127170,434170,973177,960179,593185,274181,149
ParishAcreage18011811182118311841185118611871188118911901
Bampton Hundred
Alvescot † ‡2,119339339357361357375407349362390306
Asthall †2,223304291365352389383424381374342355
Bampton:—11,2382,0102,2692,5702,7512,7342,7802,8632,7592,4072,3132,029
Bampton Township (fn. 2) †4,4911,0031,2321,4601,6057788518657641,3951,3461,167
Lew Hamlet ‡1,64222224326623719519318218312911992
Brighthampton Hamlet †6659392971021201018975746163
Cote and Aston Hamlets2,997629621659718727734811908711730647
Chimney Hamlet6682532464236242729282620
Shifford Chap.7753849424752444149703140
Weald Hamlet (fn. 2) 826833848751
Black Bourton † ‡2,379273269336352331278260266212226197
Broadwell:—5,6598668709389331,0511,1071,1031,0931,066938865
Filkins Hamlet †1,834454442508473556606641629590473393
Broadwell †1,725210234226224201221211238255214202
Holwell Chap1,06370688696115131110110120106106
Kelmscot ditto1,037132126118140179149141116101145164
Broughton Poggs9091031081141581511221091171218891
Burford:—2,9391,7251,5841,6861,8661,8621,8191,6491,6481,5601,6051,323
Burford Township †7501,5161,3421,4091,6201,6441,5931,4351,4031,3121,3461,146
Upton and Signett Hamlet †2,189209242277246218226214245248259177
Clanfield † ‡1,713455458490529584591547602499429445
Ducklington:—2,612442424497509541571606629550540547
Ducklington †1,941321299373406430443472480435439413
Hardwick Hamlet †671121125124103111128134149115101134
Kencott † ‡1,099191177174199196206214244202147151
Langford:—4,351584647638673707751701685599579522
Langford2,117356405387391427453449410384339297
Faringdon, Little Tything ‡1,168131148140156153185136159125132126
Grafton Township6256669817173778077647570
Radcot Hamlet4413125305554363639263329
Norton, Brize † ‡3,277453475528627687720716695639610537
Shilton (fn. 3) 1,604253248256290305319298287287237234
Standlake †2,346570577643669707810822775708619524
Stonelands, Extra Par. (fn. 4) 8198
Westwell ‡1,4451391491601621801861691641369081
Widford5524039515145433347495230
Witney:—7,1824,0874,1854,5185,0995,7075,4375,1805,1835,0465,3765,072
Witney Township †1922,5842,7222,8273,1903,4193,0992,9892,9763,0173,1102,879
Crawley Hamlet1,128157169221275252245253248160198206
Curbridge do.* †2,983353352372398596767622654604703637
Hailey Chap.2,8799939421,0981,2361,4401,3261,3161,3051,2651,3651,350
Yelford † ‡33616161617161714881315
Banbury Hundred
Banbury:—3,4073,8104,1735,2475,9066,7538,2069,1409,8639,6609,79210,012
Banbury802,7552,8413,3963,7373,7464,0264,0594,1223,6003,6393,394
Neithrop Township*3,3271,0551,3321,8512,1693,0074,1805,0815,7416,0606,1536,618
Charlbury (part of) (fn. 4) (fn. 6) 4,6751,4031,6371,9922,0362,0322,1542,0561,9911,9182,1541,939
Fawler Hamlet1,655112161147134123145143130109172136
Finstock do883326402497519534532533526490504451
Charlbury (fn. 5) 2,1379651,0741,3481,4331,3751,4771,3801,3351,3191,4781,352
Clattercote, Extra Par.338798915984994
Cornbury Park, Extra Par. (fn. 6) 63250483943444419
Cropredy (part of) (fn. 7) :—7,3781,8831,8762,0662,2262,3422,3612,1062,1541,9361,7581,654
Bourton (Great and Little) Township ‡1,681433405441563593573560551498449426
Claydon Chap.1,199235240252291337330317332300239223
Cropredy †1,926470474548548547596497520515476436
Wardington Chap. † ‡2,572745757825824865862732751623594569
Prescote (Lordship) Extra Par. (fn. 8) 554221919151991915312517
Swalcliffe (part of) (fn. 9) :—4,1808559351,0881,2071,1031,1131,1231,038951864755
Swalcliffe1,679264290356378338367379356358287255
Epwell Chap.1,140284302355367316330358304259217217
Shutford, East, Chap.40931343333131242627212112
Shutford, West Township952276344431418392360351313339271
Binfield Hundred
Bix3,078303379383409427367392426427387360
Caversham4,8791,0691,1271,3171,3691,6421,7521,7832,4063,5835,4417,135
Harpsden (fn. 10) ‡2,021173195223238211215261260226244256
Henley-upon-Thames*1,7582,9483,1173,5093,6183,6223,7333,6763,7363,6923,4153,521
Rotherfield Greys2,9276776687171,1451,5351,5181,6291,8891,9092,7473,337
Rotherfield Peppard2,194317325401426439406437483484453410
Shiplake2,740476485528515565569621586615756870
Sonning (part of):— (fn. 11)
Eye and Dunsden Liberty3,152705756845887868829799804863942943
Bloxham Hundred
Adderbury:—6,0451,9231,7752,2772,4732,5252,3102,1462,1922,1202,1302,025
Adderbury, East Township2,0588187109249611,060978895902909846796
Adderbury, West Township1,160326345402397442370346378313331336
Barford St. John Chap.726100120123131126125107888010255
Bodicote Chap. † ‡1,291574467638779729673626677687715689
Milton Hamlet810105133190205168164172147131136149
Alkerton742135174158192190190194201159119105
Bloxham:— ‡4,3961,3581,3571,5201,5731,5431,5771,6071,7341,7591,5591,509
Bloxham ‡3,1421,1571,1571,3001,3431,3191,3361,3661,4771,5381,3401,340
Milcombe Chap. ‡1,254201200220230224241241257221219169
Broughton ‡:—2,083419432517538629616641591576539525
Broughton975157170226220181180213152158164159
Newington, North Hamlet1,108262262291318448436428439418375366
Cropredy (part of):— (fn. 12)
Mollington Chap. (part of) (fn. 13) 783199179310360283241234165158147132
Drayton ‡926183197185184206224186169162176172
Hanwell ‡1,270264230286288297301285255253225176
Horley †1,141269290317330425392337338315277247
Hornton †1,473485453529551592591514561500426362
Shenington1,628300332381433463437415373385328284
Swalcliffe (part of):— (fn. 14) 2,766610659710755821899796757698696649
Sibford Ferris Township1,008213234216248287350314308267276255
Sibford Gower Township1,758397425494507534549482449431420394
Tadmarton ‡2,070387377401355404450411434357320301
Wigginton ‡1,187192220291327310314338310265245211
Wroxton ‡2,543613652792780819789751736662643562
Bullington Hundred
Albury ‡:—1,131177194214239244234183200209203207
Albury6745446384137604229315339
Tiddington Hamlet †457123148176198207174141171178150168
Ambrosden ‡:—4,336625650843914892937871813717653594
Ambrosden605111140180183181172161151160168138
Arncot Chap1,700209200270314331348334311243202196
Blackthorn Chap2,031305310393417380417376351314283260
Baldon Marsh ‡829208277312318360351342316300270280
Baldon Toot ‡1,565223262258272269290260250217292228
Beckley:—5,859691758825776763778749737646685573
Beckley3,620318343396371345352329353354345300
Horton-cumStudley Hamlet1,287283317339320330351347319243261213
Studley Hamlet9529098908588757365497960
Cowley †9963453924725586067751,4043,7255,6338,1619,258
Cuddesdon:—2,9011,0651,1431,3281,4601,4831,5421,5911,6031,5451,4251,332
Cuddesdon †1,052244239267317305337384410372343301
Chippinghurst Hamlet3142219283018131916151617
Denton Chap545114121134137163155157136138146142
Wheatley Chap.9906857648999769971,0371,0311,0411,020920872
Elsfield ‡1,295175164188185185168179159170176150
Forest Hill † ‡650115118157142149149191208166133163
Shotover Extra Part.† (fn. 15) 900598785149177163157127199183156
Garsington ‡2,233493492595597591635643636607589577
Headington* (fn. 16) 2,2576698411,0871,3881,6681,6532,1102,3842,7763,3423,696
Holton †1,594238224260277289244245236224200188
Horsepath ‡1,154205241264275306333334373324330333
Iffley:—1,1383313705276569589691,0049909901,1142,358
Iffley †3313705276567647557708177668552,198
Littlemore Liberty (part of) † (fn. 17) 194214234173224259160
Marston ‡1,251264296340364396471452447515720668
Merton ‡1,932152154163234230200204217169195182
Milton, Great (part of):— (fn. 18)
Chilworth Hamlet1,0823572638793907994768668
Nuneham Courtenay ‡2,108278261312314351358314304261285277
Oxford, St. Clement † (fn. 19) 2614134887701,8361,7692,1392,2863,3894,5455,1785,180
Piddington2,354310317359422427420389347281280212
Sandford (or Wet Sandford)‡1,005178172193229304273376348318287301
Stanton St. John ‡2,731349397468470510555518488548497452
Stowood5933319262633312727185043
Waterperry ‡ (fn. 20) 2,500195239242243270258231225191182156
Wood Eaton ‡7887367698662898380678487
Chadlington Hundred
Ascot-underWychwood ‡ (fn. 21) 1,839410392409419463456458462401430372
Bruern (Ville) Extra Par.1,8763042644146485147423870
Charlbury (part of) (fn. 22) :—5,6298358238859419501,0251,028983924883772
Chadlington, East, Chap.3,450593570633681654709753727706685620
Shorthampton Chap. (fn. 23) (fn. 24) 1,678242240252251287309267247218198152
Walcot Hamlet (fn. 25) 5011399789
Chastleton ‡1,769218223250238239236218202208203149
Churchill †2,848491588665633651645642562505548519
Cornwell ‡8498711397110971109791938667
Enstone ‡6,2459129621,0771,1721,1211,2491,1981,0941,1021,144925
Fifield1,160133147136163213248234223246222182
Fulbrook †1,951320333351361368406392332349311299
Idbury †1,559188187193185207222233225189219195
Kiddington ‡2,190189235252292274303305256275252237
Kingham ‡1,877428442464504555617678613617769816
Minster Lovell ‡1,951283252326355316450586561511443459
Northmoor † ‡2,048334351366360367375364366299267212
Norton, Chipping:—‡4,8742,2002,3312,6402,6373,0313,3683,5104,0924,6074,5644,130
Norton, Chipping, Township*2,4561,8121,9752,2662,2622,6292,9323,1373,6414,1674,2223,780
Norton, Over, Hamlet†2,418388356374375402436373451440342350
Norton, Hook ‡ (fn. 26) 5,4951,0321,1291,3511,5061,5251,4961,3931,2591,2321,2651,386
Rollright, Great ‡ (fn. 27) 2,414403362419438459445410371388349318
Rollright, Little ‡6272936282925303634382739
Salford ‡1,567225251293341330372397390378347289
Sarsden1,43192120128154179188166135156175168
Shipton-underWychwood:—8,6671,9692,0052,2752,4542,6242,9683,1663,3472,9723,0572,686
Shipton-underWychwood:—2,520406395441506546616655761724743672
Langley Hamlet3035150636468525346506630
Leafield Chapelry (fn. 28) 901487478553656740837871896712734671
Lyneham Hamlet1,943195206260237248261237249215192202
Milton Township2,080495522567568660799895962836898759
Ramsden Chap ‡920335354391423362403455433435424352
Spelsbury ‡4,304509554610609597578516593540501442
Swerford ‡1,925327370395441430440402437416387310
Swinbrook †1,319132167208222218195191201168186145
Taynton † ‡2,338315305324371381379341335323290230
Wychwood (fn. 23) 3,782106163213212189
Dorchester Hundred
Bensington (or Benson) (part of):—
Fifield Hamlet (fn. 29) 111621321121211
Chislehampton93912811211812615315213312510311485
Clifton Hampden ‡1,245216223277288297369355377347302290
Culham ‡2,063364389359404404417474579544474344
Dorchester ‡:—2,6339139019991,0291,0781,0611,0971,0531,012993944
Dorchester1,954777754854866895872925866813852808
Burcot Hamlet679136147145163183189172187199141136
Drayton † &‡1,288260287343333327327327315287265241
Stadhampton623193203254313384401329313268276253
Stoke, South ‡3,370564645739751907856810762838717780
Ewelme Hundred
Bensington (or Benson) (part of) † (fn. 30) 2,9208118849591,2531,2331,2191,1571,2481,1451,113960
Berrick Salome †6001431421741341641521411461057587
Brightwell Bald win ‡1,612237266286332312294277253220242187
Chalgrove †2,385518506569549691616549527512429379
Cuxham492144135182207222172177160139135130
Easington †2353120251324182634223126
Ewelme † ‡2,495490535573619663673684691602540494
Haseley, Great ‡3,255608598628749786750714745681623551
Ickford (part of):— (fn. 31)
Draycot Ham let †25012112116171912
Nettlebed ‡1,172501456545618690754737688657697544
Newington:—2,836247314445470471454446450413404324
Newington † ‡2,116195252401418419408403369363343264
Britwell Prior Chap.7205262445252464381506160
Nuffield ‡2,104139154198197216251259203215236203
Swyncombe ‡2,708285287345367399428446397364308342
Warborough ‡1,697535600684681737729764741689658585
Warpsgrove ‡3352519273623302023192630
Langtree Hundred
Checkendon † ‡3,077278262295346398410357339383415407
Crowmarsh Gifford ‡662204184230325330373360339304300300
Goring ‡4,6116777908679339719939479021,0271,4871,419
Ipsden †3,442476481583582610629623640699754726
Mapledurham ‡3,068452450508536481509486479422445519
Mongwell1,654125150142162202197177160148177143
Newnham Murren1,852213216260249254237231246248214197
Stoke, North853166147203199160160177187167161156
Whitechurch † ‡ (fn. 32) 2,358577540647745843893857836902934946
Lewknor Hundred
Adwell †4434036444846756851556864
Aston Rowant ‡2,924740787870946885901884840646601579
Britwell Salome884155159192216233248217212158124110
Chinnor ‡2,7128628951,0971,2251,3081,2571,2961,3791,2371,2471,002
Crowell ‡99614958159159169167162203121102104
Emmington ‡74076697780971048883755144
Kingsey (part of) (fn. 33) 53059316698926684
Lewknor (part of) † (fn. 34) 4,263597592691709847803770779669547510
Sydenham ‡1,548331326367423438394397377355339262
Stokenchurch †4,3748118881,1021,2901,3341,4921,5081,5511,6301,6611,458
Pyroton Hundred
Ibstone (part of) (fn. 35) 273170148172192158137120
Pishill79396133155170147192214217170195139
Pyrton4,847527551622661711692705600566557453
Shirburn‡2,421313321332325338250292308313300285
Stoke Talmage ‡ (fn. 36) 86915312714010710110611312910697100
Watlington (fn. 37) 3,6871,2761,3121,4791,8331,8551,8841,9381,9431,8151,7341,554
Weston, South48510594108118104989297979392
Wheatfield†78889857910599858991998872
Ploughley Hundred
Ardley‡1,493109136191170168152169177161135130
Bicester‡:—3,7391,9462,1462,6442,8683,0223,0543,0493,3283,3063,3433,023
Bicester, King's End Township1,457196225271280279291338310329322278
Bicester, Market End Township*2,2821,7501,9212,3732,5882,7432,7632,7113,0182,9773,0212,745
Bletchingdon‡2,654503521570641638673659693602649549
Bucknell‡1,894218219235274287343326296264233205
Caversfield†1,4989487108123178132183174140128147
Charlton on Otmoor‡:—1,961478515581658658657687604503477464
Charlton on Otmoor822215253307358345368374358290294301
Fencot and Mercot Hamlets1,139263262274300313289313246213183163
Chesterton‡2,527330361392382393435384336317384352
Cottisford‡1,506106131140163187263269246240222175
Finmere‡1,570308337395373387399338327291283226
Fringford‡1,460252258289358390357401479411403335
Fritwell†‡ (fn. 38) 1,879396436476494524514542552556560454
Godington‡1,0199985110118117878570607257
Hampton Gay‡6846776868674826746403033
Hampton Poyle‡807100128153156141131125123105106105
Hardwick†3856185988080665974605046
Heath (or Hethe)†‡1,102262319350414380418442393375371311
Heyford, Lower‡1,765346359495541562605625625518515494
Heyford, Upper‡1,628217230257326337399453449384341319
Islip†‡1,978557564655645674744688635600579549
Kirtlington‡ (fn. 39) (fn. 40) 3,582525536697687846716725761718733594
Launton‡2,818372431553570619706711746597619545
Middleton Stoney‡1,853309363340307309307259309293328324
Mixbury†‡2,972304336336387391402381338273239221
Newton Purcell602931161431311181171051228990103
Noke†‡80815015316818715314011613411810888
Oddington‡1,363158160166176126126169147150161109
Shelswell (fn. 41) 8224246514943434443421745
Somerton†‡1,842254314400392329342335365344286265
Souldern‡1,496394449491599604619587588515453406
Stoke Lyne3,901334394509593601631625603551511409
Stratton Audley†‡ (fn. 42) 2,089379288342360319305378368311346270
Tusmore (fn. 39) 73531231619524543271651
Wendlebury‡1,154146181200196214242257189166203196
Weston on the Green‡2,295350390462494504517459413363325263
Thame Hundred
Attington Extra Par.44471087816156292518
Milton, Great (part of) (fn. 43) :—2,025566634638697644664650637627567486
Milton, Great Township1,444509588593600615643630618609547455
Ascot Hamlet5815746459729212019182031
Milton, Little1,348325384442473482418411418364348311
Tetsworth1,179396426495530523512481501428460382
Thame* ‡ (fn. 44) 5,2292,2932,3282,4792,8853,0603,2593,2453,2293,2673,3342,911
Waterstock † ‡678114135132142127141147133130127108
Wootton Hundred
Aston, North ‡1,288220258296305289308296273225253207
Aston, Steeple ‡:—1,974423440515562580702736844776803677
Aston, Steeple1,076333346395441469601650749682699619
Aston, Middle Township898909412012111110186959410458
Barford St. Michael †1,162266292339350370392332305298295231
Barton, Steeple † ‡2,983393432404606640757859956915798651
Barton, Westcot † ‡974184205253258290279302284236231177
Begbroke † ‡577801181021021109810480687995
Bladon:—1,456351481510585687720666664613670699
Bladon851287368380442399484395371333432408
Hensington Hamlet * (fn. 45) 60564113130143288236271293280238291
Cassington ‡ (fn. 46) 2,299374397393428381454433401335356314
Cogges ‡ (fn. 46) 2,285343281452673757814714664694782790
Combe, Long ‡1,417424511564619605655627564541527468
Deddington † ‡4,2431,5521,6501,8472,0782,0252,1782,0242,0611,9581,7771,490
Duns Tew ‡1,749318371460450449452407378307266232
Eynsham5,4461,1661,4181,7051,8581,8931,9412,0962,1772,0761,9981,757
Glympton ‡1,25996114141125119149153167158160147
Handborough ‡2,2706557218858831,0091,1531,0591,0109681,002879
Heythrop and Dunthrop † ‡1,6898956136123198190122142250254257
Kidlington ‡:—4,7688579481,1531,2171,3031,4941,5071,4041,3941,3701,380
Kidlington †2,1946577369389861,0351,1851,1901,1291,0871,0401,070
Gosford Hamlet2604741474539305240404456
Thrup Hamlet †81356645584125160150127139125106
Water Eaton Hamlet †1,50197107113102104119115108128161148
Leigh, North ‡ (fn. 47) 2,500517525592591617725738722656748717
Leigh, South † ‡ (fn. 48) 2,074240248316339326359319320359325305
Newington, South ‡1,437395343428462434419400372324282250
Rousham ‡1,068141140160156123134131128156167128
Sandford ‡2,292312352489534515526476476485443340
Shipton on Cherwell ‡1,0581061041471481231351311481157180
Stanton Harcourt † ‡3,740504553606657665699661624541561491
Stonesfield ‡817374436498535553632650572586577497
Tackley ‡2,913369390478564583558626570540506453
Tew, Great ‡3,007402457531440459541454504479433334
Tew, Little ‡1,579219208229216215237262275277264191
Wilcote ‡ (fn. 46) 31911109101271089
Woolvercot † (fn. 49) 1,440341429493524470637617680756867966
Wootton4,2748238881,0841,0601,1291,2501,2381,2311,0811,0691,027
Worton, Nether ‡7345783969459626169612952
Worton, Over ‡6315354565645858266608966
Yarnton (or Yarington) † ‡1,493215237273299302317294293279299280
Oxford City and University
All Saints (fn. 50) 7584485600560593559468383372319216
Binsey ‡ (fn. 51) 3865566827461776795637354
Holywell (or St. Cross) (fn. 50) 236732862982944930901916934821709710
St. Aldate (part of) (fn. 52) (fn. 50) 1011,0451,4721,8711,4521,4171,4811,3231,3451,2041,102926
St. Ebbe488539511,3323,1234,1694,6564,9095,1055,2974,9644,486
St. Giles (fn. 53) 9761,2411,3121,5162,8553,9704,8825,0255,9458,58410,54811,877
St. John (fn. 50) 911113012512289107130101978064
St. Mary the Virgin:—6255966297378447621,1241,2061,3301,3011,3271,639
St. Mary the Virgin ‡ (fn. 50) 12337356383419409391314262272224206
Littlemore Liberty (part of) † (fn. 54) 6132592733544253537338921,0681,0291,1031,433
St. Mary Magdalen ‡ (fn. 50) 421,4461,5792,0562,4402,6002,4762,6162,4192,0671,7331,377
St. Martin5451468506490459449377306295314236
St. Michael ‡ (fn. 50) 158539041,0419711,0341,022876869696592586
St. Peter-leBailey ‡ (fn. 50) 118009231,2651,2361,2821,3151,1491,240887695656
St. Peter-in-theEast (fn. 55) (fn. 56) 861,0501,1041,3851,1261,1671,144976850593497366
St. Thomas (fn. 56) 6501,0201,3701,8393,2773,7334,2055,0426,4968,3748,4348,895
University of Oxford (fn. 56) 1,1711,0151,4631,6341,6291,251641377468263298
University College61546514231221
Balliol College7677812323271010
Merton College44633920161169
Exeter College9811010077172956
Oriel College6978552297106
Queen's College1058637421711812
New College6464662215211622
Lincoln College40522610614912
All Souls College2226161718311916
Magdalen College5359509839421215
Brasenose College9410073145466
Corpus Christi College4642312271759
Christ Church College32029020177677358104
Trinity College.646062111016188
St. John's College627278302427138
Jesus College826544181216510
Wadham College767776271420117
Pembroke College574331241721106
Worcester College687541179221613
St. Mary Hall142611158964
Magdalen Hall (or Hertford College)5043241671074
New Inn Hall9141340800
St. Alban Hall31241815101100
St. Edmund Hall2929136491110
Liberty of Oxford
Blenheim Park, Extra Parochial (fn. 56) 2,269121121908310993118141122151164
Woodstock (fn. 57) 621,3221,4191,4551,3801,4121,2621,2011,1951,1331,1361,106

Footnotes

1 Ancient County.—The County as defined by the Act 7 & 8 Vict. c. 61, which affected Oxfordshire to the following extent:—Gained from (A) Berkshire, the main part of Langford Parish (i.e. Langford Civil Parish), Little Faringdon Tything, and Shilton Parish—all from the Faringdon Hundred: (B) Gloucestershire, the parishes of Widford (from Slaughter Hundred—Lower Division), and Shenington (from Tewkesbury Hundred—Upper Division); (c) Buckinghamshire, the hamlet of Studley (from Ashenden Hundred), and the parish of Caversfield (from Buckingham Hundred). Relinquished to (A) Buckinghamshire, Lillingstone Lovell Parish and Boycutt Hamlet (both from Ploughley Hundred), and part of Lewknor Parish (from Lewknor Hundred); (B) Gloucestershire, part of Broughton Poggs Parish, viz. Great Lemhill Farm (from Bampton Hundred)—Great Lemhill Farm is included in Gloucestershire (Lechlade Parish). The area is taken from the 1901 Census volume. It does not include a part of Whitchurch Parish in Berkshire (309 acres), part of which area was added to Sulham (Berkshire) under the Divided Parishes Act of 1882, and the remainder was added to Purley (Berkshire) in 1894 (See note to Whitchurch, Langtree Hundred). The population for 1811 excludes 1,423 militia, who were not assigned to their respective parishes. The area, as given in 1901, also includes any parts added to Oxfordshire under the Divided Parishes Acts, but excludes any parts taken from it under the same Acts—two such changes only are known, probably both small in area, one from Northamptonshire and the other to Berkshire. There are still (1901) some lands in Oxfordshire common to two or more Parishes (or Places); these uninhabited lands are included in the area of the County, but not in the areas of the Parishes (or Places) to which thay jointly belong. (See also notes to Mollington, Kingsey, Ickford, Lewknor, Ibstone, and Oxford St. Aldate.)
2 Weald Hamlet included with Bampton Township, 1801–31 and 1881–1901. The area is also included there.
3 Stonelands was added to Shilton before 1871, and there included 1871–1901. The area is also included there.
4 Charlbury Ancient Parish is partly in Banbury Hundred and partly in Chadlington Hundred.
5 Charlbury Township (or Civil Parish) includes Walcot (Chadlington Hundred), 1881–1901.
6 Cornbury Park, perhaps included in Charlbury Parish, 1801–31.
7 Cropredy Ancient Parish is comprised (A) partly in Banbury Hundred, (B) partly in Bloxham Hundred, and (C) the remainder in Warwickshire.
8 Prescote maintained its own poor as early as 1841.
9 Swalcliffe Ancient Parish is comprised partly in Banbury Hundred and partly in Bloxham Hundred.
10 Harpsden includes the former parish of Bolney, which had ceased to have any separate existence prior to 1801.
11 The remainder of Sonning Ancient Parish is in Berkshire.
12 See note (3), p. 216.
13 The remainder of Mollington Chapelry in sin Warwickshire; the figures for 1821 and 1831 for the part in Warwickshire cannot be ascertained, so the whole is shown in Oxfordshire.
14 See note (7), p. 216.
15 Shotover, described as Extra Parochial up to and including 1851, seems to have been partly a Civil Parish and partly Extra Parochial (Shotover Hill Place), the latter becoming a separate Civil Parish under the Extra Parochial Places Act, 1857. The two are, however, shown together in the table for convenience of comparison.
16 Headington.—The figures for 1801 are estimated.
17 Littlemore Liberty is partly in Iffley Parish (Bullingdon Hundred) and partly in St. Mary the Virgin Parish (Oxford City and University). The whole population is shown under the latter Parish, 1801–31. The increase in the part in St. Mary the Virgin in 1851 is due to the erection of a lunatic asylum for paupers between 1841 and 1851.
18 Great Milton Ancient Parish is partly in Bullingdon Hundred and partly in Thame Hundred.
19 Oxford St. Clement.—A new workhouse erected between 1861 and 1871 for the Oxford Poor Law Incorporation.
20 Waterperry includes Thomley, which has been shown separately in Census volumes from 1861.
21 Wychwood Forest, previously Extra Parochial, was created a Parish under the Whichwood Disafforesting Act, 1853. High Lodge (in the Forest) is known to have been included with Ascot-under-Wychwood 1831–51. Ranger's Lodge and Waterman's Lodge (in the Forest) are known to have been included with Shorthampton in 1841 and 1851. Poole's and Pratley's Lodges (in the Forest) are known to have been included with Leafield in 1841 and 1851.
22 See note (2), p. 216.
23 See note (7), p. 218.
24 Shorthampton includes Shock's Coppice, formerly described as Extra Parochial; Shock's Coppice was added to Shorthampton between 1861 and 1871.
25 See note (8), p. 216.
26 Hook Norton.—The increase of population in 1821 is said to consist only of paupers.
27 Great Rollright.—In 1830 67 persons emigrated to America from this Parish.
28 Leafield includes Brice's Lodge, stated to be formerly Extra Parochial, which was definitely added to Leafield before 1871.
29 Fifield Hamlet included with the rest of Bensington Parish in Ewelme Hundred 1881 to 1901. The area is also included there.
30 See note (8), p. 219.
31 The remainder of Ickford Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire, where the population of Draycot Hamlet is included 1801–31.
32 Whitchurch includes Whitchurch Tollhouse, stated to have been at one time Extra Parochial. Part of the Parish is in Berkshire, but the whole is shown in Oxfordshire (1801–1901), as the part in Berkshire was not distinguished until 1861.
33 Kingsey.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire. There seems to have been considerable confusion as to where the County boundary really divided the Parish, consequently the figures for each part (though not for the whole) must be received with caution. The whole population is shown in Buckinghamshire 1801–31.
34 Lewknor.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire; the whole population is shown in Oxfordshire 1801–41. The part in Buckinghamshire was transferred to that County under the Act 7 & 8 Vic. c. 61.
35 Ibstone.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Buckinghamshire, where the whole population is shown 1801–31.
36 The decrease in Stoke Talmage in 1831 is attributed to the non-residence of pauper parishioners.
37 The increase in Watlington in 1831 consists mainly of paupers.
38 The population of Fritwell for 1801 is an estimate.
39 Hardwick included Tusmore in 1821.
40 There was a temporary increase of 157 persons in Kirtlington in 1841 owing to the annual village-feast being held at the time of the Census.
41 The population of Shelswell for 1801 is an estimate.
42 Stratton Audley.—There seems to have been, according to some of the earlier Census volumes, a part of this Ancient Parish in Bucks, but no such part has ever been set out.
43 See note (4), p. 218.
44 Thame.—The increases in 1821 and 1831 are stated to be chiefly of paupers.
45 Hensington was stated in 1841 and 1851 to include certain Extra Parochial almshouses (adjoining Blenheim Park); apparently, if they ever were legally Extra Parochial, they were added to Hensington, as the figures for the latter 1851–1901 relate to the same area.
46 Cogges included Wilcots in 1801 and 1811.
47 North Leigh included 1841–1861 an Extra Parochial Place, viz.: Horse-in-Hill or Osney Hill. In 1871–1901 this area is shown as a separate Civil Parish, but is included with North Leigh in this Table.
48 South Leigh.—In 1831 there were nearly 7 persons to each house and yet 60 pauper parishioners were living outside its limits.
49 Woolvercot included 1841–1861 the following Extra Parochial Places, viz.: Cutslow, Godstow, and King's Weir. In the 1871 volume a new Civil Parish of Cutteslowe is shown (formed out of Woolvercot); this Parish is not shown in the Table, but is included with Woolvercot.
50 University of Oxford.— The Colleges and Halls are arranged according to seniority of foundation. In 1841 all the Colleges and Halls were said to be Extra Parochial; in 1851 this was said to be doubtful; in 1901 those in the Oxford Incorporation are rated and the rate is paid by the University—they are not rated to the Parishes in which they stand—in the Headington Union they are, viz. Corpus Christi College, Merton College, St. Alban Hall, and part of Oriel College to St. John.
Their areas are included in the Parishes where they are locally situated:—Worcester College in St. Thomas; Lincoln College in All Saints; Wadham College in Holywell; Corpus Christi College, Merton College, St. Alban Hall, and part of Oriel College in St. John; All Souls College, Brasenose College, St. Mary Hall, and part of Oriel College in St. Mary the Virgin (Proper); Balliol College, St. John's College, and Trinity College in St. Mary Magdalen; Exeter College and Jesus College in St. Michael; New Inn Hall in St. Peter-le-Bailey; Magdalen College, Hertford College, New College, Queen's College, University College, St. Edmund Hall in St. Peter-in-the-East; and Christ Church College and Pembroke College in St. Aldate (part in Oxfordshire).
In 1811 the female residents were not included in the Return.
51 Binsey may be in the Liberty of Oxford. Its population includes 35 gipsies in tents in 1871.
52 Oxford St. Aldate.—The remainder of the Ancient Parish is in Berkshire, viz.: Grampound Tithing, which was, however, included in Oxfordshire in 1821. The part in Oxfordshire includes certain almshouses in St. Aldate Street, which claimed to be Extra Parochial; they are not mentioned after 1851, so seem to have either been added to St. Aldate or to have relinquished the claim.
53 Oxford St. Giles includes Keble College and Charsley's Hall, both erected between 1861 and 1871. The Workhouse was pulled down between 1861 and 1871.
54 See note (3), p. 218.
55 Oxford St. Peter-in-the-East.—Merton Fields claimed at one time to be Extra Parochial.
56 Blenheim Park was not returned in 1801; its population is assumed to have been the same as in 1811.
57 Woodstock.—The decrease in 1851 is attributed partly to the fact that in 1841 a large number of workmen were temporarily employed in alterations and repairs at Blenheim Palace.


Next:-->
Industries