List of maps, plans, and illustrations


Victoria County History



Simon Townley (Editor), A P Baggs, Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, Nicholas Cooper, Alan Crossley, Christopher Day, Nesta Selwyn, Elizabeth Williamson, Margaret Yates

Year published


Supporting documents




Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of maps, plans, and illustrations', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 14: Bampton Hundred (Part Two) (2004), pp. IX-XI. URL: Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


(Min 3 characters)


Frontispiece Witney's southern end from the air in 1955. (Cambridge University Committee for Aerial Archaeology P. V. 32. © Crown Copyright/MoD)
1West Oxfordshire parishes c. 1880xiv
2Geology and early settlement in the Witney area. (Reproduced from Allen, Mount House, Fig. 1.2, by kind permission of Oxford Archaeology)2
3The Witney estate c. 1050: conjectural reconstruction, based on map and documentary evidence4
4An Anglo-Saxon boundary: St John's Lane (suga rode). (Photo VCH)6
5Witney Parish c. 1890, showing later urban expansion9
6Witney from the south-west in 1933. (Ashmolean Museum, Allen collection, album Gi, photo 109)16
7Witney Borough c. 1880, from contemporary maps.18
8Witney market place and Church Green, c. 1780. (V & A Picture Library, D.915–1904; reproduced, with permission, from Bodleian Library, MS Top. Oxon. a 48, f. 70)22
9Witney: Church Green about 1856, etching by John S. Austen. (COS, OPA 79/7703)24
10Witney market place and High Street in 1832. (Bodleian Library, MS Top. Oxon. a 48, f. 69)25
11Witney: cottage yards west of High Street, drawn by William Langford in 1865. (V & A Picture Library, E. 2586.7,8,9–1917)26
12Witney: High Street c. 1880, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 6080)27
13Witney: Church Green in 1892, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 6087)28
14Witney Mills and the beginnings of the Springfield development, Burford Road, c. 1930. (COS, OPA 74/1. Reproduced by permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd)29
15Witney c. 1921: (a) Bridge Street and Woodgreen; (b) Church Green and Corn Street. (OS Map 1:2500, Oxon. XXXI.8, 1921 edn)30–31
16Witney: the Woolgate Shopping Centre, 1986. (COS, OPA 88/593)33
17Witney: the Corn Returns Office at the market place, 1851, drawn by William Seely. (COS, OPA 79/7639)34
18Witney: Nos. 3–5 Church Green (The Hermitage); measured and drawn by Nicholas Cooper, 200234
19Witney High Street in 1828, by S. Jones. (COS, OPA 79/7728, from an original in Witney town hall)35
20Witney: Buswells Row, Corn Street, in 1972. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. BB 73/2208)41
21Witney: working-class housing: (a) 13 Lowell Place in 1894, redrawn from a sale catalogue in ORO (Welch XXVIII/7); (b) 161 Corn Street (Buswells Row) in 1974, redrawn from plans in NMR, file 32436.41
22Witney: Cape Terrace, Gloucester Place. (photo VCH)42
23Witney: working-class housing: 3 Mill Street. Redrawn from a plan of 1968 by J. M. Lowe in West Oxfordshire District Council planning department (W530)43
24Witney: blanket factory behind 55–6 West End, c. 1910, redrawn from plans in the PRO (IR 58/65169/778)45
25Witney: former blanket factory behind 55–6 West End, 1988. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. BB99/02892)46
26The development of Witney Mills: (a) c. 1880; (b) c. 1910; (c) c. 1980; redrawn from plans in the PRO (IR 58/65168/929–32), and in the possession of Mr J. B. Crawford.46–47
27Witney: Mount Mills c. 1910, redrawn from a plan in the PRO (IR 58/65170/1002).48
28Witney union workhouse c. 1840, redrawn from plans in the Victoria and Albert Museum (E. 1448, 1, 2, 3–1977) and Bodleian Library (Bodl. G.A. Oxon. c 256 (55)).51
29Witney: the Blanket Hall and High Street, c. 1896, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 1991/150/10)56
30Witney: the Corn Exchange in 1974. (COS, OPA 74/2124)61
31Witney feast fair c. 1895, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 38093)64
32Witney: the Electric Theatre cinema c. 1913. (COS, OPA 1989/105/4)66
33Witney: captured German aeroplane in the market place, 1918. (COS, OPA 1975/36/6)67
34Witney: reconstruction of the medieval manorial curia from archaeological, documentary and map evidence. (Reproduced from Allen, Mount House, Fig. 6.1, by kind permission of Oxford Archaeology)70
35Witney: the manor house ('Witney Palace') as depicted by Samuel Buck c. 1729. (Bodleian Library, Gough Maps 26, f. 60)72
36Seal of the Witney Blanket Company, photographed c. 1898. (COS, OPA 4494-N)83
37Blanket factory at Woodgreen, from an etching of c. 1840. (COS, OPA 79/7641)89
38Witney Mills, spinning shed, c. 1898. (COS, OPA 1991/150/7)91
39Witney Mills, power-loom weaving shed, c. 1898. (COS, OPA 1991/150/4)92
40Witney Mills, fulling stocks, c. 1898. (COS, OPA 1991/150/11)92
41Occupations in Witney borough, 1851; from evidence in PRO, HO 107/1731.93
42Witney: Leigh and Sons' ironmongers, Market Square, c. 1930. (COS, 79/7670)95
43Witney: boiler supplied by Daniel Young of Witney, in transit from Witney station to Witney Mills, 1896. (COS, 74/386)95
44Witney: Bridge Street Mills:
(a) the street frontage in 1975. (COS, OPA 75/5839)98
(b) aerial view of the mill site in 1999. (© Crown Copyright. NMR 8167/15. SP 3510/8)98
45Witney Blanket Company's Buttercross works at the Leys, c. 1935. (From a line-drawing in Witney Official Guide, c. 1934 edn)99
46Witney (formerly Curbridge): Smiths' of England Engineering works and Cubridge Downs Farm in 1970. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. SP 3210/1/358)102
47Witney: the cattle and sheep market, early 20th century, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 1989/98/8)104
48Witney: UDC water tower at Tower Hill, 1904. (COS, 80/12444)125
49Witney: the borough seal as depicted in 1852. (Reproduced from Giles, Hist. Witney, opposite p. 38)129
50Witney: the rectory house from the south-east, drawn by J.C. Buckler in 1825. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 69, no. 600)133
51Witney: plan of St Mary's church. (Redrawn, with modifications, from a plan by F.H. Crossley in ORO, MS dd Par. Witney, c 43, item c)138
52Witney: St Mary's church from the north-east in 1802, by J.C. Buckler. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 64, no. 24)141
53Witney: Woodgreen and Holy Trinity church in 1905, from the south-west. (COS, OPA 38074)143
54Witney Congregationalist chapel and High Street in 1969. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. BB 75/2811)147
55Witney: the 18th-century Methodist chapel, drawn by William Seely in 1849. (COS, OPA 79/7691)151
56Witney: the Methodist chapel and schools c. 1895, photographed by Henry Taunt. (COS, OPA 38097)152
57Witney grammar school: plan and elevation by P. Russell-Cox, c. 1944. (Reproduced by permission of English Heritage. NMR. B 44/3130)156
58Witney: Church schools treat, 1907. (COS, OPA 79/7715)160
59Witney: Holloway's almshouses at Church Green. (Reproduced from W. Wilkinson, English Country Houses (2nd edn 1875), plate 60)165
60Crawley village street in 2003, looking north. (Photo VCH)172
61Crawley: Chasewood Farm in 1874, as designed by William Wilkinson. (Building News, 16 January 1874, p. 66; reproduced by permission of the British Library from British Library LD. 86)175
62Crawley Manor Farm from the south-east in 2000. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB 001147)177
63Crawley township c. 1816; from contemporary maps and documentary evidence178
64Crawley Mill from the north-east, photographed by Henry Taunt c. 1896. (COS, OPA 1991/150/9)186
65Curbridge: the Merry Horn public house c. 1900. (From a photograph in the possession of Mr A. Crossley)196
66Curbridge: aerial view of Caswell and Caswell House Farm from the east in 1990. (© Crown Copyright. NMR 4365/03; SP 3208/5)199
67Curbridge: Caswell House from the south-east c. 1850, drawn by William Seely. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. b 91, no. 363 D)205
68Curbridge township, c. 1816; from contemporary maps and documentary evidence214–215
69Curbridge: St John's chapel (demolished 1906) in 1873. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. b 91, no. 329 A)223
70Hailey: Middletown in the early 20th century, looking north-west. (COS, OPA P/6095)226
71Hailey: Delly End green in 2003, looking north. (Photo VCH)229
72Hailey: Swanhall Farm from the south-west in 2000. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB 001145)235
73Hailey township, c. 1816; from contemporary maps and documentary evidence.239
74Hailey: New Mill c. 1830. (ORO, B1/PH1/8, from a painting by T. Langford in Oxfordshire County Council Museums store; reproduced by kind permission of the Early's Archive Trust)247
75Hailey: chapel of St John the Evangelist (demolished c. 1868), drawn by William Langford c. 1860. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. d 218, f. 114)250
76Hailey: the chapel of St John the Evangelist (built 1868–9) in the early 20th century. (COS, OPA P/6090)252