List of photographs and drawings

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Simon Townley (Editor), Christina Colvin, Carol Cragoe, Veronica Ortenberg, R.B. Peberdy, Nesta Selwyn, Elizabeth Williamson

Year published

2006

Supporting documents

Pages

9-11

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of photographs and drawings', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 15: Bampton Hundred (Part Three) (2006), pp. IX-XI. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=116991 Date accessed: 01 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF PHOTOGRAPHS AND DRAWINGS

Frontispiece Minster Lovell church and Hall from the south, showing the south-west tower at the end of the western residential range. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046290)
FigurePage
3Alvescot: the school and main street in the 1920s, looking east. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive P/1825)9
5Alvescot village from the air, showing earthworks and the former manorial site near St Peter's church. (© English Heritage. NMR. 18627/15; SP 2704/25)13
6Alvescot: Shill House from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001134)14
7Alvescot House from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA000795)15
8Alvescot: Butlers Court from the north. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001127)20
9Alvescot: Park Farm from the south-east. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001132)23
11Alvescot Particular Baptist chapel in 1986, shortly before its closure. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 87/754)35
12Asthall barrow. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 11929)40
14Asthall: The Cottage and No. 1 Stonelands, presumed to be the former 'Bastard School'. (photo VCH)43
15Asthall: Toque House from the south-east. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001157)44
16Asthall: Lord and Lady Redesdale and their children (the 'Mitford Family') outside the 'Cloisters' at Asthall Manor, September 1926. (The Devonshire Collection, Chatsworth. Reproduced by permission of the Duchess of Devonshire)46
17Asthall Manor from the west, showing the hall range, cross wings, and stair tower. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046321)51
19Asthall: Worsham Mill, showing ranges of c. 1830 and 1902. (photo VCH)63
20Asthall church and Asthall Manor from the north-east, drawn by J.C. Buckler in 1821. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 50; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)66
21Asthall church: tomb and effigy, probably of Lady Joan Cornwall, in the Cornwall chapel. (Photo Miss K. Mair; reproduced by permission)69
22Asthall Leigh: the chapel of St John the Evangelist in 1974. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. BB74/740)71
23Black Bourton: the former Primitive Methodist chapel at Spout Green, looking east. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001151)74
24Black Bourton: High House or Fiveways (left) and Bridge House (right), south of Spout Green. © English Heritage. NMR. BB001130)77
25Black Bourton: model cottages built about 1863 to designs by W.C.C. Bramwell, looking east. (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001152)78
26Black Bourton: the former National school (now a house), built in 1865 and subsequently extended. (photo VCH)80
27Black Bourton: Manor Farm, showing the medieval range (left) and W.C.C. Bramwell's block of 1861–3 (right). (© English Heritage. NMR. BB001239)84
29Black Bourton: William Wilkinson's design for model labourers' cottages at Rock Farm (now in Carterton), 1857. (Reproduced from W. Wilkinson, English Country Houses (2nd edn 1875), plate 55)91
30Black Bourton: church from the south-east, drawn by J.C. Buckler in 1821. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 95; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)97
32Carterton: Brize Norton Road in the 1920s. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 87/456)104
33Carterton: the main crossroads in the 1920s, showing the war memorial and Kennett's stores. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 87/457)104
34Carterton buildings:
(a) Rock Farm; converted barns at Rock Farm; early settler's house near Milestone Road; Women's Institute hall (1926); Brize Norton road in 1997, showing St John's church, WI hall, and settler's bungalow; The Parade in the 1930s. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive P/3111 (The Parade); other photos VCH)
107
(b) prefabs in 1963; converted Robin hangar on Alvescot Road; 1970s housing on Upavon Way; St John's church in 1997; the town hall (built 1982–3); the main crossroads in 2004. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 77/5545 (prefabs); other photos VCH)108
35Carterton badge of office (Carterton Town Council)111
36Clanfield: the Wesleyan Methodist chapel and main village street in the 1920s, looking north-west. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 76/95)113
37Clanfield: the river Thames at Harper's weir in the late 19th century. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 6673)114
39Clanfield: the Plough Inn and war memorial in the 1920s. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 76/94)118
40Clanfield: the Thames Valley (Knapp's) Ironworks Band at the owner's house, c. 1913. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 782/281)120
41Clanfield: Club Day procession outside Chestlion Farm, c. 1911. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 81/4372)124
42Clanfield: Friars Court from the south-east. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. BB92/15019)125
44Clanfield: Little Clanfield Mill in the early 20th century. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 81/4388)138
45Clanfield: disused windmill at Windmill Farm, photographed by H.M.J. Underhill in 1907. (Bodl. MS Dep e 65, f. 17; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)139
47Clanfield church from the south-east, drawn by J.C. Buckler in 1821. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 66, no. 172; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)144
49Kencot Lodge (left) and North Lodge (right). (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046271)150
50Kencot House from the south. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046263)155
52Kencot: Manor Farm from the north-east. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045940)158
53Kencot: The Old School House, formerly the village school. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA 045786)165
54Kencot: the Carter Institute. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045798)166
55Kencot church from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045794)168
56Kencot church: tympanum over south doorway. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045793)174
57Kencot: Red Rose Cottages from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045838)175
58Kencot: Kencot Cottage and Kencot green from the south-east. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045797)176
59Kencot: Asthall Farm from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA045783)177
60Minster Lovell: the main village street, looking south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046285)178
63Minster Lovell: the Swan Inn from the south-west. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046287)182
65Charterville in 1848, showing the school (with tower). From the Illustrated London News for 1848184
66Minster Lovell Hall from the north in 1729, engraved by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck. (Bodl. MS Gough Maps 168, f. 78; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)186
67Minster Lovell Hall from the south-east. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA000584)187
69Minster Lovell Hall and church from the air, showing vicarage house and Manor Farm. (© Crown Copyright. NMR. 18214/06; SP 3211/5)189
70Minster Lovell: the south front of Manor Farm from the churchyard, probably incorporating remains of the chapel of St Cecilia. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA046284)190
72Minster Lovell church: the crossing, looking east. (Reproduced by permission of English Heritage. NMR. AA82/660)202
73Brize Norton: the village street in the late 19th century, photographed by Henry Taunt. (Reproduced by permission of English Heritage. NMR. CC57/464)206
75Brize Norton: Kilkenny Farm in 2001. (Photo VCH)212
76Brize Norton Airbase:213
(a) from the air in 1943, showing part of Carterton and Brize Norton village. (© English Heritage. NMR. US/7PH/GP/LOC 95 FR: 5016)
(b) station headquarters in 2004. (Photo Mr Peter Davis; reproduced by permission)214
(c) the 'Base Hangar', opened 1967. (Photo Mr Peter Davis; reproduced by permission)214
77Brize Norton: the Chequers Inn in the early 20th century. (COS, Oxfordshire Photographic Archive 5567)216
78Brize Norton school and church in the late 19th century, photographed by Henry Taunt. (Reproduced by permission of English Heritage. NMR. CC57/465)217
79Brize Norton Manor from the north-east, showing hall range and west cross-wing. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA049342)222
80Brize Norton: Grange Farmhouse from the north, showing the gabled stair tower. (Photo VCH)225
82Brize Norton church from the south-east, drawn by J.C. Buckler in 1821. (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 118; reproduced by permission of the Curators of the Bodleian Library)238
83Brize Norton church: tympanum over south doorway. (© English Heritage. NMR. AA049345)242
84Brize Norton Primitive Methodist (formerly Congregationalist) chapel in 2002. (Photo VCH) 245