|1664.||Third Visitation of London (D. 19), Register of Pedigrees. Fo.
73. College of Arms.|
|1677.||Little London Directory. J.C. Holton, Piccadilly. Reprinted
|1708.||Certificate of Burial of Sir John Morden. College of Arms.|
|1720.||Magna Britannia et Hibernia. Vol. 2, p. 1078. Rev. Thomas
|1720.||Survey of London by John Stow. Edition by Rev. J. Strype.
Vol. 1, pp. 219–224.|
|1720.||List of the Works of Sir Christopher Wren (signed by himself),
compiled by his son Stephen Wren. Lansdowne MSS. No. 698.
British Museum. (This list is printed in Elmes' "Memoirs,"
and in the article on Wren in the "Dictionary of Architecture,"
issued by the Architectural Publication Society, Vol. 8.)|
|1721.||Hist. Register, Chron. Diary, p. 28.|
|1724.||A Tour thro' the whole Island of Great Britain. [Daniel Defoe.]
Letter II., pp. 4–6.|
|1778.||History of Kent. E. Hasted. Vol. 1, pp. 37–38. (See below,
|1787.||The Ambulator, or The Stranger's Companion in a Tour Round
London . . . . 3rd edition, p. 153. Printed for J. Bew in Paternoster Row.|
|1796.||The Environs of London. Vol. 4, pp. 338–339. The Rev. D.
Lysons. (The extra illustrated copy at the Guildhall Library
should be consulted.)|
|1806–9.||London, being an accurate survey and description of the British
Metropolis and neighbourhood. Vol. 5, p. 121. David Hughson,
|1828.||(Circa.) History of Kent. By W. H. Ireland. Vol. IV., pp.
|1853.||(Revised 1867.) Rough Notes toward a Memoir of Sir John
Morden, Bart., founder of Morden College, Blackheath. Henry
Smith, Treasurer. Greenwich: H. Richardson.|
|1857.||Brief Historical Relation. N. Luttrell. vi. 347–348.|
|1885.||Echoes from Theocritus, etc. Sonnets (25–26). E. C. Lefoy.|
|1886.||Hasted's History of Kent. Part I. Hundred of Blackheath.
Edited by H. H. Drake. pp. 125–127, etc.|
|1890.||Notes and Queries. 7th Ser. x. 56.|
|1892.||Historical MSS. Commission. 13th Rep. App. V. 412.|
|1911–16.||Princess Ælfrida's Charity. 7 parts. (A history of Morden
College, and the property forming its endowment, from the
earliest times.) Henry Lansdell, D.D.|
A volume of notes, papers, portraits and poetical effusions, collected by
Horatio Elphinstone Rivers, Treasurer of Morden College from 1872,
is mentioned by the writer of the notice of Sir John Morden in the
"Dictionary of National Biography."
The following works on architecture and on Sir Christopher Wren
contain references to the College:—
|1852.||Sir Christopher Wren and his Times, p. 329. James Elmes.|
|1893.||Inigo Jones and Wren, p. 170. Rev. W.J. Loftie.|
|1894.||Renaissance Architecture in England. Reginald Blomfield.|
|1897.||History of Renaissance Architecture in England. p. 184.|
|1901.||The Later Renaissance Architecture in England. J. Belcher and
Mervyn D. Macartney.|
|1908.||Sir Christopher Wren. p. 193. Lena Milman.|
|1911.||A History of Architecture in London. Walter H. Godfrey.|
The following works of reference contain information concerning Sir
John Morden and the College:—
|1835.||Synopsis of the Extinct Baronetage of England. William Courthorpe.|
|1844.||Extinct Baronetcies, p. 367. J. and J. B. Burke.|
|1873.||Pedigrees of the Knights. MS. volume at the College of Arms.
|1876.||Handbook of the Environs of London. James Thorne, F.S.A.|
|1892.||Murray's Handbook of Kent. (Blackheath.)|
|1900.||London and Environs. Baedeker.|
|1904.||Complete Baronetage. Vol. 4 (1665–1707). Cockaigne, pp.
The Dictionary of National Biography.
Prints and Drawings, etc., including Illustrated and other
Articles in Periodicals.
Engraving of the west front of the College in the Universal
Magazine. Published by J. Hinton at the King's Arms, St. Paul's
|1722.||Engraving by J. Kyp in "Views of Kent" (Badeslide). This
engraving is reproduced in Strype's edition of the "Survey of
London" by John Stow.|
|1741.||Survey within Ten Miles of London, by John Rocque.|
|1849.||Water-colour drawing by J. C. Buckler, F.S.A., dated Oct. 1849.
(This is preserved in the dining-hall of the College, which
possesses several other original drawings of the buildings.)|
|1890.||The Architect. July 11, 1890. Plates Nos. 242 and 243 by the
Architectural Illustration Society.|
|1899.||Architectural Association Notes. June 1899. Drawings by
|1899 and 1901.||The Architectural Association Sketch Book, 3rd Series :—|
1899, Vol. IV., Organ Loft, drawing by G. N. Clift.
1901, Vol. V., measured drawings by T. F. Green, and
mouldings by Horace Farquharson, Plates 3–7.
|1904.||The Builders' Journal and Architectural Record. 16 March
1904. Drawing of Organ Loft, by A. C. Bossom.|
|1906–8.||The Architectural Review. Vol. 19, No. 115; Vol. 22, No.
133; and Vol. 23, Nos. 134–5. Illustrated articles by T. Frank
|1908.||The Kentish Independent. August 1908.|
|1908.||The Estates Gazette.|
|1910.||Country and Town. Feb. 1, 1910. A 17th century Haven of
Refuge. Cecil A. Sharpe.|
Note.—In the Imperial Art Museum, Vienna, is a full-size replica of
the chapel vestibule in oak, made by J. S. Henry and Sons, of Old
Street, St. Luke's, in 1908, to the order of the Austrian Government.