ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL
MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS OF ENGLAND.
REPORT TO THE KING'S MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY.
1. May it please Your Majesty.
We, the undersigned Commissioners, appointed to make an Inventory of the
Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions connected with or illustrative of the contemporary culture, civilization and conditions of life of the
people in England, excluding Monmouthshire, from the earliest times to the
year 1714, and to specify those which seem most worthy of preservation,
humbly submit to Your Majesty the following Report on the Monuments in the
West Division of the County of London, being the Ninth Interim Report on the
work of the Commission since its appointment.
2. We tender to Your Majesty our respectful thanks for the gracious
message which accompanied Your Majesty's acceptance of our Inventory of
3. We have pleasure in reporting the completion of our enquiries into
West London, an area containing 259 monuments in 16 boroughs, with an
average of 16 monuments per borough. This Report is the second Report on
the monuments of the County.
4. Following our usual practice, we have prepared an illustrated volume
containing the full Inventory of the monuments in the Western area of the
County, which, under the advice of the Lords Commissioners of Your Majesty's
Treasury, will be issued as a separate Stationery Office publication.
5. The only alteration that has been found necessary in the order and
method of describing the monuments scheduled is the abandonment, for the
County of London only, of the parish as the unit of description and the
substitution of the borough. This was found to be desirable, partly from the
inconclusive nature of parish boundaries in an urban area and partly with a
view to grouping the monuments described under the various areas of local
government. The detailed Inventory is introduced by the usual Sectional
6. As in the previous volumes, the descriptions of monuments have been
referred for revision to the incumbents of each parish, and to the principal
owners of domestic buildings, and we are satisfied that no important monument
dating from the earliest times to the year 1714 has been omitted.
7. Our special thanks are due to Dr. Philip Norman, F.S.A., and Mr. W.H.
Godfrey, F.S.A., for having revised the proofs of the volume, to Lady Hope for
the use of an advance copy of the late Sir W. H. St. John Hope's plan of the
Charterhouse, and to Colonel Storey for the use of his plan of Canonbury House.
8. We humbly recommend to Your Majesty's notice the following monuments
in West London as "especially worthy of preservation":—
(1) Old Parish Church, chiefly remarkable
for its monuments and the early
Renaissance decoration of the More
(2) Parish Church of St. John, Clerkenwell, mid 12th-century crypt with late
12th-century extensions, remains of
(4) Chapel of St. Etheldreda. Chapel of
c. 1300, formerly part of the town-house
of the Bishops of Ely.
13. St. Pancras.
(2) Fittings of St. Katherine's Hospital,
formerly in St. Katherine's by the
Tower and including monument, stalls,
(8) Parish Church of St. Margaret, Westminster. A much restored church containing good painted glass and monuments.
(10) Parish Church of St. Clement Danes.
An ornate example of the work of
Sir Christopher Wren, with some good
(11) Parish Church of St. James, Piccadilly. A work of Sir Christopher Wren,
with good internal decorations and
(13) Parish Church of St. Mary le Strand.
Probably the best example of the work
of the architect Gibbs. Begun under
Queen Anne and finished under George I.
(20) Rolls Chapel. Monument of Dr. Yong;
a remarkable example of pure Italian
Renaissance, by Torrigiani.
(22) Marlborough Chapel. A late 17th-century private chapel, built for
Catherine of Braganza.
(2) Royal Hospital, founded by Charles II
in 1682 and designed by Sir Christopher
Wren. Statue of Charles II.
(11) Lindsey House. Rebuilt in 1674 and
now the only remaining example of the
former mansions of Chelsea.
(12) Cheyne Row. A nearly complete terrace
of houses, built in 1708.
(4) St. John's Gate. The Gatehouse of the
priory of St. John of Jerusalem, a stone
building with a ribbed vault erected in
(5) The Charterhouse, a large building incorporating remains of the Carthusian
priory, Howard House, and Sutton's
Hospital, and containing good woodwork of the 16th and 17th centuries.
(7) New River Head, fine panelling, fireplace and ceiling in modern offices.
(6) Fulham Palace. Remains of a courtyard-house built by Richard Fitzjames,
Bishop of London, early in the 16th
(6) Fenton House, built probably in 1693
and a good example of the period.
(5) Lincoln's Inn. Late 15th and early 16th-century hall, gatehouse and chambers;
early 17th-century Gothic chapel by
(6) Gray's Inn, mid 16th-century hall with
fine screen and roof.
(7) Staple Inn, late 16th-century hall with
screen and roof; timbered front to
Holborn of similar date.
(8) Powis or Newcastle House. A good
late 17th-century mansion designed by
William Winde and finished by Sir
(9) Lindsey House, a good house of c. 1640
in the Palladian style.
(2) Canonbury House and Tower. Remains
of a large late 16th-century house with
fine ceilings and woodwork and a
(2) Kensington Palace. Extensive palace
buildings designed by Wren and built
in the last decade of the 17th century.
(3) Holland House. A large Jacobean
mansion with interesting fittings.
(2) Lambeth Palace, London house of the
Archbishops of Canterbury, with buildings of various dates from the 13th
century onwards, including chapel,
gatehouse and great hall.
(7) Roehampton House. A large country-house designed by Thomas Archer and
built 1710–12, with good staircases and
(24) Palace of Westminster. Late 11th and
late 14th-century great hall, early
14th-century undercroft of chapel and
early 16th-century cloisters.
(25) Jewel House, a 14th-century tower,
with contemporary vaulting.
(26) Banqueting House, Whitehall, designed by Inigo Jones and with a
painted ceiling by Rubens.
(27) Malmesbury House, Undercroft. An
early 16th-century vaulted undercroft.
(29) St. James' Palace, including a gatehouse and chapel built by Henry VIII,
the chapel with a ceiling decorated by
(30) Marlborough House, built by the 1st
Duke of Marlborough in 1709 and designed by Sir Christopher Wren. Paintings of the former's victories by
(32) Schomberg House, built in 1698 by the
3rd Duke of Schomberg.
(35) Harrington House. A good early 18th-century house.
(36) York Gate. The Water Gate of York
House, built for the 1st Duke of
Buckingham by Nicholas Stone.
(38) Bluecoat School. A complete school
building of 1709.
(39) Queen Anne's Gate, a street or square
of houses built temp. Queen Anne and
still largely intact. Statue of Queen
(55) The Piazza, Covent Garden. Portion
of the arcaded walks designed by Inigo
(69) Carlisle House. A house of c. 1700,
with original staircases and fittings.
(83) Statue of Charles I. Bronze statue by
Hubert le Sueur, pedestal by Grinling
(84) Statue of James II. Bronze statue by
9. We offer our grateful thanks to the Rev. E. E. Dorling, F.S.A., for
revision of the descriptions of Heraldry; to Mr. Oswald Barron, F.S.A., for
revision of the descriptions of Costumes and spelling of names; to Mr. Mill
Stephenson, F.S.A., for revision of descriptions of Brasses; to Mr. J. Murray
Kendall, M.B.E., F.S.A., for revision of the descriptions of Armour; to Mr. R. E.
Mortimer Wheeler, M.C., D.Litt., F.S.A., for revision of descriptions of Roman
Remains; and to Mr. F. S. Eden for his descriptions and illustrations of the
Ancient Glass in the county.
10. We desire to express our acknowledgment of the good work accomplished by our Executive Staff in the persons of Mr. A. W. Clapham, O.B.E.,
F.S.A., Mr. J. W. Bloe, O.B.E., F.S.A., Mr. E. A. R. Rahbula, F.S.A., Mr. G.E.
Chambers, F.S.A., Mr. P. K. Kipps, Mr. A. T. Phillips and Miss M. G. Saunders;
also by Miss M. V. Taylor, M.A., F.S.A., who has investigated the Roman
Remains of this portion of the County of London.
11. We regret exceedingly that owing to loss of staff and its continued
non-replacement owing to Treasury ruling, and, a fortiori, to the refusal to
entertain any immediate prospect of its extension, it has not been possible to
go forward with the pre-war intention of the Commission to train and place
senior investigators in charge of separate areas with competent staffs under
them to report the results of their enquiries to a central office in London for
final editing and publication.
12. Since the publication of the last Report, the Commission has begun the
survey of the monuments of the County of Huntingdon. This was rendered
possible by the generous financial assistance of Mr. Granville Proby.
13. The next Inventory of the Commission will therefore deal with the
County of Huntingdon in one volume, followed by the third and concluding
volume of the County of London.
14. In conclusion we desire to add that our Secretary, Mr. George
Duckworth, C.B., F.S.A., has continued to afford invaluable and unremitting
assistance to us, your Commissioners.
All of which we submit with our humble duty to Your Majesty.
CRAWFORD & BALCARRES (Chairman).
J. F. F. HORNER.
J. G. N. CLIFT.
E. J. HORNIMAN.
ARTHUR J. EVANS.
C. HERCULES READ.
M. R. JAMES.
D. H. MONTGOMERIE.
C. R. PEERS.
GEORGE H. DUCKWORTH,
26th May, 1925. Secretary.