(O.S. 6 in. London Sheets (a)J. and (b)N.)
The borough of Hammersmith is conterminous
with the civil parish formed in 1834 out of the
E. part of the parish of Fulham.
(1). Pile Dwelling in the Thames. Many
late Celtic objects and an early Iron Age bronze
fibula from the site are now in the Guildhall
Museum.—Guildhall Museum Catalogue.
b(2). Parish Church of St. Paul, on the W.
side of Queen Street, was entirely rebuilt between
the years 1882 and 1891, but retains from the old
church the following:—
Fittings—Bells: eight; 3rd dated 1657; 4th,
5th and 7th, given by Nicholas Crisp, 1639; 6th,
the "Town Bell," 1639. Chairs: In chancel—
two, with richly carved backs and baluster-legs
connected by shaped framing, probably late 17th-century. Font: of marble with circular bowl and
baluster stem, late 17th-century, modern surround
and cover. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N. wall, (1) of James
Smith, Alderman of London, 1667, and Sarah
(Cotton), his second wife, 1680–1, wall-monument
(Plate 11), of black and white marble, upper
part in form of a moulded sarcophagus surmounted
by a pediment enclosing a shield-of-arms and supporting a bust of the man flanked by seated figures
of women; lower part of monument in form of
a base with acanthus enrichment; monument
restored 1917. (2) to Rt. Hon. Edmond Lord
Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave, Baron Butterwick,
K.G., 1646, restored white marble tablet with
shield-of-arms, erected by his wife. In N. aisle—
on W. wall, (3) to Sir Nicholas Crisp, Bart., 1665,
cenotaph of black and white marble, in form
of a pilaster with a broken pediment at the
top supporting a bronze bust of Charles I
ascribed to F. Fanelli, base brought out
on carved consoles to support a pedestal and
urn, and having a cartouche-of-arms in front.
In S. aisle—on S. wall, (4) to Sir Edward Nevill,
2nd Justice of the Common Pleas, 1705, and
Frances, his wife, 1714, white marble tablet with
Composite columns and a cartouche-of-arms. In
churchyard and in shed—fragments of other
monuments including: (5) to Mary (Trussell),
wife of John Greene, 1657; (6) to Francis Wolley,
1659, tablet, with shield-of-arms; (7) to Elizabeth
Lannoy, 1700–1. Floor-slabs: In churchyard
—N. of chancel, (1) to Sir Nicholas Crispe, Bart.,
1665, with shield-of-arms (brought here from St.
Mildred, Bread Street), (2) to Louis de St. Delis,
Marquis de Heucourt, 1703, with two shields-of-arms. Plate: includes two cups with cover-patens
of 1656, each with inscription and shield-of-arms of Smith; two flagons of 1708 and beadle's
staff with metal knob dated 1704. Pulpit: (1)
formerly in All Hallows the Great, Upper Thames
Street (Plate 68); of oak, hexagonal, angles
covered with foliage and cherub-heads, sides with
elliptical inlaid panels, with frames of foliage and
flowers, moulded and carved base on a restored
Composite column as stem, stairs with turned
balusters partly original, late 17th-century; (2)
formerly in this church, but now at St. Mark,
Hammersmith; hexagonal with panelled and inlaid
sides, late 17th-century. Miscellanea: In N. porch
—two carved stone panels with achievement of
the arms of the City of London, and Crisp impaling Prescot, 17th-century, and a stone dated 1630.
a(3). Church of St. Katherine, about ¼m.
S.W. of the Prison of Wormwood Scrubbs and 1¼ m.
N. by W. of Ravenscourt Park, is a modern building,
but contains the following fittings removed from
the dismantled church of St. Catherine Coleman
in the City. Monuments and Floor-slab: Monuments: In S. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to Luke
Lucy, 1663, and Anne, his mother, 1653, black
marble tablet in moulded frame with borders of
scrolls, cherub-heads and small medallions carved
with female busts. Outside vestry door, cut down
and relaid as pavement, (2) to Thomas Knight
..., Mary, his wife, 1697, seven children and
one grandchild, with skull and cross-bones at top,
probably head-stone. Floor-slab: Used as lower
step to door and with inscription partly covered up,
to David Papillion and Anna Mary, his wife, 1675.
b(4) Garage, on the E. side of Queen Street,
150 ft. E. of (2), is modern, but includes the former
S. front of Bradmore House, re-erected facing the
street. The front is of two storeys and is built of
red brick and stone. It dates from c. 1700. The
central bay is flanked by Composite pilasters,
supporting an entablature, above which is a stone
balustrade with vases. In the side bays the main
cornice is ramped down and continued across to an
angle pilaster with a separate entablature. Above
the cornice is a wrought-iron balustrade following
the ramp. The doorway and windows have round
heads and the middle window on the first floor is
flanked by Doric pilasters. Inside the building,
one room on the first floor has original panelling
refixed; it has a richly carved entablature, and
the window and door-openings are flanked by
Corinthian pilasters; the round door-head and
panels have carved spandrels.
A niche of brickwork of c. 1700, formerly in the
garden of Bradmore House, has been re-erected in
Geffrye's Garden, Kingsland Road, Shoreditch.
a(5). Public Library, Ravenscourt Park, about
¾ m. N.W. of (2) (formerly Pallingswick Manor
House), is of two storeys with attics and basement;
it is built of red brick and the roofs are covered with
slate. The basement probably formed part of a
late 16th-century house, but the superstructure
was entirely rebuilt c. 1720. The librarian's wing
was added in the 19th century. The basement,
originally the ground-floor, has in the middle of
the E. front an original studded door with later
hinges. Inside the building, in the basement, is an
original doorway with moulded and stop-chamfered
jambs and head and a moulded and panelled
door; two other doorways have frames and another
has a moulded and battened door, all original. In
the S.E. room is some original panelling with some
of the 17th century. On the first floor the N.E.
room has some early 17th-century panelling. On
the second floor, refixed on the landing is a door-case
of c. 1640 with an eared and scrolled architrave
enriched with carving and surmounted by an
entablature and broken segmental pediment enclosing a blank cartouche. In the N.E. room is a
fireplace of c. 1640 with moulded architrave and
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are covered with tiles or
slate. Most of the buildings are of late 17th-century date.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
Queen Street. W. side
b(6). House, two tenements, Nos. 24 and 26,
15 yards S. of (2); the windows have original
frames and sashes.
b(7). House, now two tenements, Nos. 72 and
74, 270 yards S.W. of (2), has at the back a projecting
staircase-wing, carried up above the eaves, with a
b(8). Block of eight cottages, Nos. 65 to 79,
220 yards S.W. of (2). Some of the windows have
original solid frames.
b(9). House, two tenements, Nos. 11 and 12,
430 yards S.W. of (2) has a brick band between
the storeys. A passage at the W. end has an
original moulded oak lintel and the first-floor
windows have solid frames.
b(10). House, No. 21, now offices, 100 yards
N.W. of (9), is of two storeys with attics and
basement and of early 18th-century date with
later additions. The front has a projecting brick
band at the first-floor level and an enriched eaves-cornice of wood with carved modillions; the back
is of similar character but the cornice has plain
modillions. Inside the building the first-floor rooms
and the staircase are panelled and have moulded
cornices and dado-rails and the back room has an
original chimney-piece with moulded surround and
shelf with pulvinated frieze. The doors generally
are six-panelled, but on the top landing are three
of moulded battens. Between the staircase hall
and entrance passage is a round-headed opening with
moulded archivolt, panelled pilasters with moulded
cappings and carved key-block. The staircase
has a moulded string and handrail, twisted balusters
and square newels with terminal pendants and
ball-finials to the upper flight.
b(11). West Lodge, No. 27, house, now offices,
100 yards N.W. of (10), though of early 18th-century date, has been much altered. Inside the
building one of the ground-floor rooms is lined
with panelling and has a moulded cornice and
dado-rail; the fireplace is original and of marble
with a bolection-moulded surround and shelf.
b(12). Cottage in Banners Yard, 600 yards W.
of (2), has some original casement windows.
b(13). House, now two houses, Nos. 22 and 24,
on the N. side of the road, 730 yards W. of (2),
is of three storeys with basement; it is much
altered and was heightened late in the 18th century.
Some windows at the back have original frames and
sashes. Inside the building the late 17th-century
staircase has moulded string and handrail with
turned balusters. On the second-floor landing is
some moulded panelling and a panelled door with
the old lock and drop-handle, all of the same date.
b(14). Old Ship Inn, on the S. side of the road,
about 1,000 yards W. of (2), has been almost
entirely rebuilt except for the porch which is of
brick with rusticated pilasters at the sides and a
rusticated semi-circular arch.
b(15). House, Nos. 8 and 9, Bridge Street, now
two tenements on the E. side of the road, 660 yards
W. of (2), has some original two-light windows with
solid frames and transoms.
b(16). House, No. 5, Western Terrace, nearly
1 m. W. of (2), is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the S.W. and N.W. On the
N. side is an original window with solid mullion
and transom. The staircase has moulded strings
and rail, turned balusters below and shaped
balusters at the top.
b(17). House, two tenements, Nos. 205–207,
Hammersmith Road, on S. side of road, 430 yards
E.N.E. of (2), is of early 18th-century date, but has
been much altered and has the lower windows
converted into shop fronts; at the eaves-level is
a wooden modillioned cornice.
b(18). Manor Hall, house on the N. side of
Great Church Lane, about 360 yards E. of (2),
is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably
early in the 18th century and has modern additions
on the E. and W. The original entrance in the
S. front is flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an
entablature and pediment. Inside the building,
the original staircase has carved stair-ends and
turned newels and balusters. Some rooms have