(O.S. 6 in. London Sheets (a)F. (b)J.)
The borough of Hampstead includes only the
parish of that name. Fenton House is the principal
a(1). Parish Church of St. John was rebuilt
in 1745 and enlarged in 1878, but retains the
Fittings—Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In churchyard—S. side, (1) to Mrs. Dyer,
1666, slab with inscription almost obliterated;
W. end, (2) to Elizabeth, wife of Richard Bull,
1702, head-stone. Floor-slab: In N. aisle—to
John Rixton, 1658, and Margaret, his wife, 1687,
with shield-of-arms. Plate (Plate 36): includes
large secular cup of 1629, richly embossed with
scroll-work, birds, children and achievement-of-arms, and cover surmounted by figure of Roman
soldier; a plate, probably of 1628, given in 1701,
and a stand-paten of 1642. Miscellanea: In N.E.
porch—mural tablet relating to the charitable
bequests of John Rixton, 17th-century. Balustrade (Plate 100), with Jacobean balusters in the
form of diminishing pilasters, made up with
b(2). Church of St. Mary, Abbey Road,
Kilburn, is modern but contains the following:—
Fitting—Brass: In S. transept—head of a nun,
broken off and lower part of figure missing, dug
up on site of Kilburn Priory, early 15th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century
date and of three storeys; the walls are of brick
and the roofs are covered with tiles or slates.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(3). Old Mansion, 46, Frognal, 100 yards N.W.
of the parish church, is of two storeys with
basement and attics. It has been much altered
and added to at either end; the S. front was
probably refaced in the 18th century. On the N.
front a plain brick band divides the storeys and
at the eaves is a modillioned cornice carried up in
a pediment in the middle of the main block. The
windows have rubbed-brick dressings and segmental
heads. Inside the building the walls are lined with
painted panelling, some of which may be original.
a(4). Houses and Shops, Nos. 61 and 62, Heath
Street, 270 yards N.E. of the parish church, are of
two storeys with attics. They have been much
altered. The shops which occupy the forecourt are
modern additions. At the eaves-level is a moulded
wood cornice. The window-frames are set flush
with the outer wall and may be original.
a(5). The Mount, house on W. side of Heath
Street, 130 yards N. of (4), is of Z-shaped plan with
the end wings extending towards the S. and N. The
W. wing is a later addition. The main block has
an added top storey, the E. wing is of two storeys
with attics and both have basements. At the
first-floor level is a projecting brick band and the
E. wing has a modillioned eaves-cornice of wood
and a dormer-window with moulded cornice and
curved pediment. Inside the building are two
original staircases with moulded rails and twisted
a(6). Fenton House, (Plate 65) formerly known
as the Clock House, garden-wall, gate, etc., on W.
side of the Grove, 80 yards N.N.W. of (5). The
date, 1693, scratched on the upper part of one of
the chimneys with the initials 'N.S.' and 'E.B,'
together with a lead pump-head in the garden
embossed with the same date suggest that the house
was built in that year. The house is of two storeys
with basement and attics, and is a complete and
interesting example of a domestic building of the
period. It is symmetrically designed and built on
an almost square plan with a projecting wing at
either end of the E. front connected on the ground-floor by an open loggia. The walls are of a brownish
coloured brick with rubbed-brick dressings, and
have plain projecting bands at the ground and
first-floor levels and a wooden modillioned cornice
at the eaves, carried up in a pediment over the
middle of the S. front. The window-frames are
set flush with the outer face of the walls and some
have their original sashes. The roof is hipped and
has flat-topped dormer-windows lighting the attics
on the N. and S. fronts. On the E. front the loggia
connecting the projecting wings has two Doric
columns which support an entablature, and in the
middle of the wall above is a brick recess with a
blank circle in the centre which formerly contained
a clock. The projecting wings are surmounted by
modern balustrades and behind them are gabled
projections from the main roofs, partly masked by
the main chimney-stacks. On one chimney-stack
besides the scratchings mentioned above is the
date 1644. Inside the building the original plan is
retained. The building of the four chimneystacks, one in each corner of the house, some few
feet from the outer walls, is unusual, but allows of
small cupboards or bays to be framed off each room.
Most of the rooms are lined with moulded panelling
and many of the original doors remain; some retain
their old fittings. Most of the fireplaces have been
replaced, but in the attics are two panelled overmantels and one fireplace with a bolection-moulded
architrave. In the basement the former kitchen
has the upper part of an old dresser with carved
brackets to the shelves. The main staircase
(Plate 6) has moulded strings and handrail,
square newels and twisted balusters. The back
staircase is similar but of slighter construction
and has turned balusters.
At the S. end of the garden, set between two brick
piers surmounted by stone cornices with carved
ball-finials, is an elaborate wrought-iron grille with
a central gate (Plate 66). An old wall surrounds
the terraced garden to the N. of the house. In the
garden is a sundial (probably imported), dated
1675, and a lead pump-head with the embossed
a(7). Old Grove House, on the E. side of the
Grove, 20 yards N.E. of (6), is of L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the N. and E.;
both wings were extended c. 1730. The E. wing
and S. end of the main block are of three storeys,
being carried one storey lower than the N. wing
and fronting the garden, which is below the level
of the street front. The windows to the original
building have rubbed-brick dressings with segmental or flat arches and some retain their original
frames and sashes. The doorway to the garden is
flanked by Doric columns which support an entablature and pediment. A plain projecting brick
band marks the floor-levels and at the eaves is a
modillioned wood cornice. The roof is hipped
and on the S. front has a lead flat in the middle
with a wooden balustrade. Inside the building
some of the rooms are lined with early 18th-century
panelling. The cut string to the main staircase is
old and on the topmost floor are a few twisted
balusters with moulded handrail and plain string
of c. 1700.
b(8). Vine House, on the N. side of Hampstead
Square, 130 yards N.E. of (7), is a symmetrically
designed rectangular building with later additions
on the N.E. At the first-floor level is a projecting
brick band and at the eaves a modillioned
wood cornice. The lower windows have segmental
heads while those to the top floor have flat
a(9). Elm Lodge, house on S. side of Elm Grove,
80 yards E.S.E. of (7), is of three storeys with
basement. It is symmetrically designed and built
on a rectangular plan with a hipped roof; small
one-storeyed additions have been made at either
end of the house and the upper part of the walls
and chimney-stacks have been rebuilt. The
dressings are of moulded bricks; the windows
have flat arches and at the floor-levels are plain
projecting bands. On the N. elevation are two
shaped rain-water heads. Inside the building
many of the rooms are lined with original panelling,
and one room on the first floor retains its original
fireplace with a bolection-moulded architrave,
deep frieze and moulded shelf. The walls of the
staircase are panelled; the stairs have a cut string
with shaped brackets at the ends of the risers,
turned and twisted balusters grouped in fours to
form newels at the half-landings, a column-shaped
newel at the ground-floor, and moulded handrail;
the balusters to the basement stairs are of heavier
section; the stairs from the first to second floor
are of mid 18th-century date.
a(10). White Bear Inn, New End, 120 yards
S.E. of Christ Church, is of two storeys with attics.
It has been much altered and added to but has an
original chimney-stack. On the N.W. front are
two dormers with hipped roofs and in the middle of
the wall is a small panel with the initials and date
a(11). Burgh House, New End Square, 68 yards
S.E. of (10), is of three storeys with a basement.
It has been added to on the S.W. but remains a
complete and almost unaltered house of early
18th-century date. The S.E. front of the house is
slightly narrower than the back which has two
projecting wings extending towards the N.W.
The windows are square-headed but with the
exception of one in the back block all have modern
frames and sashes. The entrance-doorway has a
projecting hood with a modillioned cornice. The
front block has a modillioned wooden cornice
and plain brick string-courses marking the floorlevels. Inside the building, the rooms on the ground
and upper floors are lined with plain panelling and
have moulded cornices. The cornice round three
sides of the hall is carved and some of the rooms have
High Street. N.E. side
a(12). House and Shop (No. 36), 100 yards
S.E. of Heath Street, is of three storeys with attics.
It has been much altered but retains its original
a(13). Two Houses, now shop (Nos. 25 and 26),
80 yards S.E. of (12), is of three storeys with attics
but has been much altered. The front has an
original modillioned eaves-cornice. Inside the
building some of the rooms on the upper floor have
plain panelling and one room retains an original
fireplace with plain bolection-moulded architrave.
The staircases in both houses have turned balusters,
moulded rails and shaped strings.
a(14). Old Bank House (No. 14), house and shop,
60 yards E. of (13), is of two storeys with basement
and attics. It is a rectangular building of mid
17th-century date to which modern additions have
been made at the back and a shop added in
front. At the back the brickwork is exposed and
at the first-floor level is a plain brick band. The
windows have segmental arches and flush-frames.
Inside the building the upper part of the staircase
is original and is built round a square well. It is
of massive design and has turned balusters, moulded
string and handrail and square newels with ballfinials. The lower part of the staircase is of early
18th-century date and has twisted balusters,
circular newel and plain panelled dado.
a(15). King of Bohemia, inn, 15 yards E. of (14),
was built possibly as part of that building but has
been completely altered.
a(16). House and Shop (No. 68), opposite (12),
is of three storeys with attics and basement. At
the back are modern additions. The front wall
has a projecting brick band at the level of the
second floor; the windows have rubbed - brick
quoins, flat brick arches, and old frames; in the
roof are two flat-topped dormers. Inside the
building, the front room on the first floor has plain
original panelling, with a moulded wood cornice.
The staircase is original and has a panelled dado,
turned balusters and moulded string and handrail;
the lower flight appears to have been rearranged.
a(17). House and Shop (No. 73), 35 yards S. of
(16), is of three storeys with attics and basement.
It has been added to and altered. The front wall
has a plain brick parapet and a projecting brick
band at the level of the second floor. The windows
have flat brick arches and flush frames which are
probably original. The dormer-windows have flat
tops. Inside the building, one of the rooms is
panelled to the full height of the room and has a
a(18). House (No. 74), adjoining (17) on the
S.E., is of three storeys with basement and attics.
The front wall is plastered and has a plain parapet;
on the back wall is a wooden eaves-cornice. In
the front of the roof is a flat-topped dormer, that
at the back is hipped and gabled.
a(19). House and Shop (No. 75), adjoining and
similar to (18), has had the ground-floor altered.
Inside the building one of the rooms has a
moulded cornice and a small corner-cupboard with
pilasters having moulded caps and archivolt. The
staircase has a plain panelled dado, moulded string
and handrails, square newels and twisted balusters
of 18th-century date.
a(20). Row of Houses and Shops (Nos. 79 to
81), 50 yards S.E. of (19), is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered. It has been
a(21) House (Nos. 82 and 83), now two tenements, 5 yards S.E. of (20). At the floor-levels are
plain projecting bands of rubbed bricks and the
front windows have quoins of lighter coloured
bricks and flat arches; the side windows have
segmental heads. Along the S. half of the main
front is a moulded eaves-cornice which returns
partly along the S.E. wall but the N. half of the
main front has a plain parapet; the roof is hipped.
On the S.E. front is a mullioned and transomed
window but the others have hung sashes, all
modern, except one, though most of the frames
are probably original. The two original rooms on
the ground-floor of No. 82 are lined with original
panelling and have moulded cornices and dado
rails. There is an original staircase in No. 83 with
moulded strings and handrail, square newels and
twisted balusters. Some of the upper rooms have
moulded cornices and some original panelled doors
a(22). Stanfield House, at corner of High Street
and Prince Arthur Road, 30 yards S.W. of (21),
is of three storeys and basements and has later
additions on the N.W. and S.W. The front
elevation has plain projecting brick bands at the
floor-levels and an eaves-cornice; the windows
to the ground and first floors have segmental arches;
those to the top floor are flat; the S.E. wall is
covered with cement. Inside the building, the
entrance-hall is panelled and the staircase is
approached through an elliptical arch with key-block and panelled imposts with moulded caps. The
lower stairs to the basement have a continuous
string and moulded handrail, square newel-posts
and slender turned balusters. In the ceiling of
the kitchen is a large exposed beam; the wide
fireplace has a moulded architrave and moulded
Rosslyn Hill. N.E. side
a(23). Houses (Nos. 14 and 16), 360 yards S.E.
of (15), are of three storeys and basement. They
were built in 1702 on a rectangular plan under one
roof with symmetrical elevations; later additions
have been built on the N.W. and N.E. and bay
windows to the lower part of the S.W. front. The
elevations have moulded brick bands at the floorlevels and a modillioned eaves-cornice; the
dressings are of rubbed brick. The windows to the
three lower floors have segmental brick arches;
those to the top floor are square-headed; some
retain their old sashes. On the N.E. and S.W.
fronts the windows to the southernmost house are
blocked. In the S.W. wall are two stone tablets,
one inscribed W.R./S. May 7th 1702, the other M./Z.R.
1702. Inside the building both houses have original
staircases (Plate 6) with panelled dados, moulded
strings and handrails and turned balusters. The
hall to the southernmost house is panelled and
has a wood cornice. Some of the rooms have
original panelled window-shutters, doors and
a(24). George Inn, 380 yards S.E. of (23), is
of two storeys. The walls are of brick covered with
cement. It has been added to and much altered.
Church Row. N. side:—
(25). House, No. 5, about 110 yards E. of the
church, is partly of weather-boarded timber-framing. The front of the ground-floor is faced with
boarding in imitation of rusticated ashlar; the
floors above have a large three-sided bay-window
of weather-boarded timber-framing. Inside the
building the front room has original panelling. The
early 18th-century staircase has slender turned
balusters, square newels and moulded rails and
strings. The upper rooms have plain panelling.
(26). Row of three houses, No. 6, 7 and 8, W. of
(25), is brick-faced and has flush frames to the
windows; the doorways are all of mid 18th-century date. No. 8 has moulded brick bands
between the storeys and the gate has wrought-iron standards and a scrolled overthrow.
(27). House, No. 9, W. of (26), is of brick with
a band between the first and second storeys and
a later parapet. The front is symmetrically
arranged but has a later doorway. The gate has
scrolled standards and overthrow of wrought-iron.
Inside the building several rooms have original
panelling but the staircase is of later date. In the
basement is a dresser with shaped ends and above
a cupboard is a range of flat shaped balusters.
(28). House, No. 10, W. of (27), has a brick
front with moulded bands between the storeys.
The doorway has two carved brackets to the hood.
Inside the building most of the rooms are panelled.
The staircase appears to be of later date but the
upper flights have close moulded strings.
(29). House, No. 12, about 10 yards W. of (28),
has a front of brick with moulded bands between
the storeys, pilasters at the sides with entablatures
and the main cornice continued across the front.
The windows have aprons, heads, and reveals of
rubbed brick. Inside the building several of the
rooms are panelled.