AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN THE CITY OF LONDON.
ACCREDITED TO A DATE ANTERIOR TO 1714, Arranged by Wards.
(Unless otherwise stated the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made.)
1. ALDERSGATE WARD.
(Within and Without).
Aldersgate Ward includes the parishes of St.
Botolph Aldersgate, St. Anne and St. Agnes and
St. Mary Staining and parts of the parishes of
St. John Zachary, St. Olave Silver Street and St.
Leonard Foster Lane. The church of St. Anne and
St. Agnes is the principal monument. A portion
of the Roman Town-wall of the city is exposed
on the S. side of St. Botolph's churchyard (see
London, Vol. III, p. 91).
(1) Parish Church of St. Anne and St. Agnes
stands on the N. side of St. Anne's Lane, between
Noble Street and Aldersgate Street. It is a
Renaissance building with the internal plan in
the form of a Greek cross. The walls are of
brick rendered in Roman cement, with the exception of the two lower stages of the tower, which
are built of rubble. The roof is slated. The
two lower stages of the tower are probably of
14th-century date, but the rest of the church,
much injured by the Great Fire, was re-built by
Sir Christopher Wren in 1676–87 on the old foundations, at a cost of £2448 0s. 10d.; the tower was
remodelled and the upper part re-built at the
same time. The exterior of the church was
restored and rendered externally in cement in
Architectural Description—The church forms a
slightly irregular square (54½ ft. on the N. and
52¾ ft. on the S. by 53 ft.), with a tower at the
W. end flanked by a vestry and vestibule.
The E., N. and S. Elevations are each of three
bays, with a round-headed window in the central
bay, and similar but smaller windows in the side
bays. The jambs and heads were all restored in
1820. The side windows at the E. end are both
blocked, and above them the wall is finished
with a wooden cornice. The centre bay is carried
up higher and finished with a stone cornice and
In the N. Elevation the middle bay is carried
up with a plain truncated gable, having a cornice
across at half its height. The side bays on both
N. and S. have hipped roofs at a lower level.
At the N.W. angle is a Vestry with a plain segmental-headed window in the N. wall.
The S. Elevation (Plate 49) is the most ornate.
Here the middle bay is finished with a moulded pediment, supported at either side by inverted curves
springing from plain pedestals. The window in the
western bay is cut short to admit of a doorway
below, which is restored but has an old cherub-head keystone. At the S.W. angle is a Vestibule
with a square-headed window in the S. wall.
The W. Elevation. The Tower stands a little
to the S. of the centre, at the W. end. It is four
stages high and surmounted by a cupola. In the
W. wall of the ground-stage is a late 17th-century
round-headed doorway, and in each face of the
bell-chamber stage is a square-headed louvered
opening with architrave and plain key-stone.
The tower is finished with a cornice and plain
parapet. The lead-covered cupola rests on a
square base, with raking supports at the angles
and a round-headed louvered opening in each
face. It is capped with a cornice and roof of
ogee form and surmounted by a vane bearing the
letter A. The vestry on the N. of the tower
projects slightly from the W. face, and the
vestibule on the S. has a plain square-headed
window in the W. wall.
Interior. The body of the church has an inner
square formed by four Corinthian columns of wood,
standing on high wainscotted bases and supporting
an enriched entablature (without the frieze).
This is carried back against the outer walls, on
the plan of a Greek cross, and rests on Corinthian
pilasters against the E. wall and on modelled
brackets against the N., S. and W. walls. The
ceiling of the cross is in the form of intersecting
barrel-vaults, with transverse coffered bands
springing from above the columns. The arms
of the cross are each divided into three panels
with enriched borders, and the groins at the crossing
are masked by moulded ribs. The four square
bays at the angles of the church have flat plaster
ceilings, with a rich circular wreath of fruit and
foliage, and cherub-heads in the spandrels.
Church of SS. Anne & Agnes
The tower (10 ft. by 8½ ft.) has a round-headed
arch in the E. wall, opening to the church, and two
smaller round-headed arches in the N. and S.
walls, with small round windows above. The
archway in the S. wall opens into a staircasevestibule, and that in the N. wall into a small
lobby between the tower and the N. vestry.
These arches are all late 17th-century, but the
circular staircase at the N.W. angle dates perhaps
from the 14th-century and is approached by a
doorway in the lobby with a two-centred head.
The 14th-century masonry of the tower extends
up to the floor-level of the third stage. In the
second stage, in the N. and S. walls, are the internal
reveals and splays of two 14th-century windows
with segmental-pointed heads. In the E. wall
is a blocked square-headed doorway and in the
N. wall a 14th-century doorway, from the turret-staircase, with a two-centred head.
Fittings—All of late 17th-century date unless
otherwise described. Doors: To S. lobby—
panelled side doors; above, a cornice with pediment; lobby surmounted by panelled attic with
enriched entablature. In W. doorway—of two-panelled leaves; above, pieces of old woodwork
refixed. Font (Plate 10): octagonal white-veined
marble bowl with acanthus and gadrooned enrichment and carved stem, with black marble necking.
Cover: of oak, octagonal with richly carved sides,
ogee-shaped cupola with carved terminal. Gallery:
at W. end (for organ) now removed but staircase,
in S.W. vestibule, remains. It has a heavy
moulded hand-rail, moulded string and turned
balusters. Monument and Floor-Slabs. Monument: in body of church—on S. wall, to Sir
James Drax, 1661–2, and Henry his son, reconstructed tablet formerly in St. John Zachary, with
two busts and festoons. Floor-slabs: in body of
church—at W. end, (1) to Stephen Hamms, 1690,
and Thomasine his wife, 1696, with shield-of-arms; (2) to Thomas Gough, 1705, with shield-of-arms. Panelling: The internal walls of church
and the column-bases are wainscotted in oak,
the former three, the latter two panels high;
walls of vestry are panelled, with moulded archi
trave round fireplace. Old panelling is re-used
in the screen within the tower-arch, in the lobby
of the S. door, and in the low quire-screen; the
last includes some pierced carved panels. Plate:
includes cup and cover-paten, late 16th-century,
the paten repaired 1826, cup and cover-paten of
1619, three patens of 1707 and a spoon, all the
above from St. John Zachary, two cups of 1632,
two flagons of 1636, a flagon of 1666 and a paten
of 1707. Reredos (Plate 36): of oak, painted, central
portion with fluted Corinthian pilasters at sides
and two round-headed panels with enriched borders
and a four-winged cherub-head in the middle
spandrel; side bays are panelled with carved
foliage-festoons at the top and panels below.
The entablature supports a broken and scrolled
pediment with a modern vase in the centre.
Royal Arms: Stuart, formerly on the reredos,
now on the N. wall. Table: in S.E. vestry—
with turned legs in form of modified Doric columns
and moulded rails. Miscellanea: Moulded rainwater-heads, including one on N. side of Tower,
dated 1680. On S. wall—two brass plates, one
dated 1684, recording benefactions of Drax
(2) Parish Church of St. Botolph, at the
S. corner of Aldersgate Street and Little Britain,
was re-built in 1790–91, on the site of the original
church. It contains from the former building the
Fittings—Brass: On W. wall—to Anne, wife
successively of Robert Dun and Richard Stoney,
1611, inscription only. Communion Table: of
painted oak with turned legs in the form of columns,
on front rail the initials and date S.B., 1639. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: On E. wall, (1)
to Anne, widow of Sir John Packington, 1563, plain
altar-tomb with recessed and panelled Gothic
canopy with brattishing; on back wall, two
kneeling figures, of man and wife with daughters behind, shield-of-arms, all incised in black
and gilt to imitate brass, lower part of monument
and inscription, modern. On N. wall, (2) to
Elizabeth, wife of Sir Thomas Richardson, 1639,
small tablet with bust in oval niche with broken
pediment and shield-of-arms. On S. wall, (3) to
Elizabeth (Kaye), widow of Ralph Ashton, 1662,
small tablet with bust and shield-of-arms; (4) to
John Micklethwaite, 1682, marble cartouche with
scrolls, drapery, etc.; (5) to Richard Chiswell,
1711, his father John, his mother Margaret,
his wife Sarah and five children by his first wife,
large marble cartouche with drapery, cherub-heads and shield-of-arms, erected by his son
Richard; (6) to Christopher Tamworth, 1624,
and Frances his wife, 1637, marble tablet with
painted inscription and reclining cherub. On
W. wall, (7) to John Coston, 1614, Frances (Blyth)
his wife, 1637, and Ann his daughter, 1621, small
tablet with segmental pediment, three skulls and
shield-of-arms; (8) to Mary, wife of George
Buckley, 1707, and George Buckley, 1711, cartouche with scroll-work and shield-of-arms. In
churchyard—(9) to Anthony Poole, 1679, flat
stone, with shield-of-arms. Floor-slab: In S. porch
—to Richard Chiswell, 1711, with shield-of-arms.
Plate: includes a paten of 1706, given by Hannah
Jones and a spoon of 1710. Miscellanea: In vestibule—moulded base of pier of 15th-century church
having four engaged shafts, not in situ.
(3) The Parish Church of St. Mary Staining
was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not
re-built. The churchyard lies on the N. side of
Oat Lane opposite the end of Staining Lane.
Fittings—Memorial Stones: In S. boundary
wall, (1) square with inscription (re-cut in 1913)
recording the destruction of the church. In W.
boundary wall, S. end, (2) square, with inscription,
said to have been similar, but now painted over
(4) Parish Church of St. Olave was destroyed
by the Great Fire of 1666 and not re-built. The
churchyard lies at the S.E. corner of Silver Street
and Noble Street.
Fittings—Memorial-stone: In boundary wall,
by the entrance, square, with incised skull and
cross-bones and inscription recording the destruction of the church.
(5) Goldsmiths' Hall (Parish of St. John
Zachary) stands on the E. side of Foster Lane,
S. of Gresham Street. The old hall, dating from
after the Great Fire, was pulled down in 1829
and the existing building was finished in 1835.
It contains the following fittings from the old
hall:—in the entrance hall is a carved and painted
wooden figure of St. Dunstan (Plate 46), from the
Company's barge; on the first floor several rooms
have old wood-work incorporated in modern work.
These include, in the ante-room at the N. end of the
W. range, some bolection-moulded panelling; in
the next room to the N., similar panelling with a
moulded cornice and panelled doors; in the room
S.W. of the vestibule, similar panelling with an
enriched cornice and architraves to the N. and E.
doorways; towards the N. end of the room are
fluted Corinthian columns supporting an enriched
entablature; the panelling on the S. wall is
divided by pilasters into three bays; on the E.
wall is a carved cartouche-bracket with the date
1669; in the room, to the S. of the vestibule, is
bolection-moulded panelling; the N. door is
panelled and has an enriched architrave; it is
flanked by fluted Corinthian columns supporting
a cornice and broken pediment, with the royal
arms of Queen Anne, before the Union. The
small room at the W. end of the N. range has been
lined with late 17th-century panelling with an
enriched cornice, from East Acton Manor House;
on the E. and W. walls the panelling alternates
with carved Ionic pilasters; the doorway in the
S. wall has an enriched architrave and a carved
frieze; the overmantel (Plate 8) of the fireplace has
a bolection-moulded panel with carved festoons of
fruit and flowers.
(6) Ironmongers' Hall, in Shaftesbury Place.
Aldersgate Street, is a modern building; Preserved
in the building is an embroidered funeral-pall; it
bears on the flaps the arms of the company four
times repeated, two figures of the Virgin in glory
and four figures of saints with the inscription,
"The gift of John Gyua, late Iremongr and
Elizabeth hys wyffe wythe whoo good thys cloth
was made." The gift was made in 1515.
(7) Coachmakers' Hall (Parish of St. Mary
Staining) stands on the E. side of Noble Street.
It was re-built in 1842–3 and again in 1870, but
contains from a building of 1703 the following
fittings—Above the modern entrance is a carved
cartouche of the Company's arms. In the hall
is the original oak screen (Plate 52); it has a middle
bay with an elliptical arch and flanked by coupled
Corinthian columns supporting a continuous enriched entablature with a curved and broken pediment; the side bays have Corinthian pilasters. The
walls of the hall have some original panelling, including four carved panels with pediments and a larger
panel at the end of the room; there are also carved
achievements of the royal Stuart arms and those of
the Company. The fireplace in the ante-room has
a moulded and carved surround, and above it a
panel with a festoon of fruit and flowers. In
the vestibule are two tables of benefactors with
carved frames and cartouches of the Company's
(8) Schoolhouse of St. Leonard Foster Lane
adjoins the church of St. Vedast on the N. It is
of one storey with cellars, the walls are of brick
and the roofs are tiled. It was built in 1691 and
the wooden gallery adjoining is probably of the
same date. The W. elevation has a wooden
modillioned eaves-cornice and windows with solid
frames, mullion and transom; the roof is hipped at
the ends and has the base of an octagonal lantern
on the ridge. The wooden gallery runs along the
N. wall of the church and is of two storeys, finished
with a modillioned eaves-cornice and divided into
bays by pilasters. The lower part of the upper
stage is panelled, and the upper part is fitted
with sash windows. The N. elevation of the school
is blank, but has a small stone inscribed "Non
Nobis 1691." The interior of the school has a
panelled dado and preserved here are late 17th-century wood-carvings of the Royal Arms, repainted, and a Lion and Unicorn from the destroyed church of St. Matthew Friday Street.
(9) House (Nos. 5 and 6) on the E. side of Foster
Lane, 15 yds. N. of St. Vedast church, is of three
storeys with attics and basement; the walls are
of brick and the roofs are covered with slates.
It was built late in the 17th century, but has been
much altered. The front has a moulded band at
the first floor level and a modern parapet. The
windows of No. 5 have original flush frames.
(10) House (Nos. 13 and 14) on the N. side of
Little Britain, 100 yds. W. of Aldersgate Street,
is of four storeys; the walls are of brick, the
front being plastered. It was built late in the
17th century, but has been much altered. The
front has been entirely altered, but the back has
original windows with flush frames.
(11) House (No. 11) on the E. side of Noble
Street, is of three storeys with attics and cellars.
The walls are of plastered brick and the roofs
are tiled. It was built late in the 17th century,
but has been much altered. Inside the building
some of the ceiling-beams are exposed.