Portsoken Ward

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1929

Page

172

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Portsoken Ward', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 4: The City (1929), pp. 172. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120264 Date accessed: 20 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

22. PORTSOKEN WARD.

Portsoken Ward consists of the parish of St. Botolph Aldgate, except that portion now in the Borough of Stepney.

Ecclesiastical

(1) Parish Church of St. Botolph stands at the E. corner of Whitechapel High Street and Houndsditch and was re-built in 1741–44, partly on the site of the original church, which was, unlike the present structure, properly orientated. The church contains, from the former building, the following:—

Fittings—Communion Table: probably reconstructed but incorporating late 17th-century turned and twisted legs. Monuments: In W. aisle —on N. wall, (1) to Capt. Robert Silk, 1701–2, and Martha his wife, 1689, white marble tablet with drapery, cherub-head, cartouche and vase; on S. wall, (2) to Sir Edward Darcy, 1612, small brown marble tablet with ornamental strap-work border; (3) to Robert Tailor of Silverdale, 1577, small brown marble tablet, incomplete. In W. gallery— on W. wall, (4) to Thomas, Lord Darcy of the North, K.G. [executed 1537], Sir Nicholas Carew, K.G. [executed 1539] and other members of the same families, brown marble tablet with Corinthian columns at sides, cornice, emaciated recumbent figure and three coats-of-arms, probably erected c. 1560. In E. aisle—on E. wall, (5) to William, 1678–9, John, 1682, Charles, 1684, sons of William Pouldon, and to Katherine Pouldon, 1687, his daughter, marble tablet with shield-of-arms. In E. gallery—on E. wall, (6) to Robert Dow, 1612, marble wall-monument with coloured bust in niche and two shields-of-arms, repaired 1675. Organ and Organ-case: In S. gallery—instrument by Renatus Harris, 1676, with additions and restored in 1897. Case with three 'towers' of pipes, pierced and carved frieze below, with cherub-head corbels supporting side-towers and acanthus-corbel under middle tower; towers finished with scroll-work and entablatures; panels between towers with pierced and carved bands and cornices ramped up to middle tower and supporting cherubs playing musical instruments; re-fixed on front of gallery, carved cartouche (Plate 17) inscribed—" This organ is ye gift of Mr. Thomas Whiting to the hole parish 1676"; larger cartouche with arms of Whiting above. Plate (Plate 31): includes cup of 1559 with mediæval stem and gilt band on bowl inscribed with text; tazza-paten (Plate 29) of 1589 with elaborately enriched stem, incised ornament inside bowl with embossed head of bearded man wearing a helmet, in the centre, inscribed and dated 1625; cup of 1594 with incised ornament on bowl, stem and foot, inscribed and dated 1606; tall cup (Plate 29) of 1609 with embossed ornament on bowl, free enrichment of bracket form on stem and incised ornament with bands of enrichment on foot; two large flagons with inscriptions and achievements-of-arms, one of 1613 given in 1614, the other of 1622 and given the same year; inscribed cup and paten, both of 1635, and engraved with scene depicting sacrifice of Isaac; inscribed spoon of 1665, given the same year; inscribed flagon of 1669, given the same year; large inscribed flagon of 1675; and an inscribed stand-paten of 1697. Also the following plate from the church of Holy Trinity, Minories—two inscribed flagons of 1668, given the following year, and an inscribed ewer of 1683 given the same year. Miscellanea: In W. aisle—fragments of carved stonework including defaced angel-corbel and shield with the arms of old France quartering England, in a cusped panel, 14th-century. In vestry—in glass case, severed human head in mummified state, and said to be that of Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk, executed 1554; it was formerly preserved in Holy Trinity, Minories.

Condition—Rebuilt.

Secular

(2) Hoop and Grapes, on the S. side of Aldgate High Street, 30 yards W. of Mansell Street, is of three storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th century and has a square projecting bay in front, starting at the first-floor level and carried up to a dormer with a hipped roof. The main roof has a wooden eaves-cornice. Two old rainwater-pipes and heads remain in position. The back elevation is weather-boarded and much altered. The interior has been completely gutted. In front and in advance of the building are two heavy timber posts with sunk panels carved with vine-leaves and grapes.

Condition—Fairly good.



<--Previous:
Lime Street Ward
Next:-->
Queenhithe Ward