Addenda et Corrigenda

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1930

Pages

114-115

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Addenda et Corrigenda', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 5: East London (1930), pp. 114-115. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120520 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ADDENDA ET CORRIGENDA.

Since the publication of the previous volumes on the County of London, the following additions and corrections have come to the notice of the Commission:

Vol. I.

Westminster Abbey.—The paintings in the Chapter House are now in process of being cleaned and a number of subjects which were only dimly visible when reported on by the Commission are now clear and precise. Of the central figures of the Doom on the E. wall (Plate 189), the seraph on the S. has the following names of virtues inscribed on his lower feathers—Orationis dev[otio], Elemo[sinarum largicio], C[arnis maceracio]; Simplicitas, Hum[ilitas], F[irmitas]; other inscriptions are much defaced. The group of heads in the S.E. bay (Plate 190), though not by the same hand as this central composition, appears to have formed part of the Doom which occupied the three easterly bays of the Chapter House.

To the S. of this group the series of scenes from the Apocalypse begins again with Chap. XIII (Plate 191)—the beast with seven heads making war on the saints (v. 7); the false prophet making men adore the beast (v. 12) and the mark of the beast on the forehead and the hands (two scenes) (v. 16). In the next arch are the remains of two more subjects. In the fifth arch of the S. bay are scenes from Chapters XVI and XVII (Plate 191)—the seventh angel pouring out his vial and the fall of the cities (XVI, 17–19); the angel talking to St. John (XVII, 1); the woman on the scarlet beast (XVII, 3); St. John and the angel, rest obliterated. Traces of the series of animals remain in these bays, including the name "Lyon" (S.E. bay, fourth arch) and the figure and name "Greyhund" (S.W. bay, first arch). The two first arches of the S.W. bay (Plate 192) have also been cleaned. They are described in Vol. I, pp. 80–81.

Vol. II.

Holborn: (5) Lincoln's Inn.—The Old Hall built about 1493–4 had by 1924 become so dilapidated that immediate steps had to be taken to preserve the structure. The stripping of the stucco and the removal of the late 18th-century plaster vault revealed the fact that the additional weight of the vault had not only forced the walls outwards and dislocated the timber roof, but had fissured the walls themselves longitudinally. In these circumstances it was found necessary to re-build the walls, resetting the old brick facing and diapering wherever it had survived. The original buttresses had been pared back to the wall-face and larger buttresses had been substituted; these later buttresses have been removed and the form of the original buttresses restored. The stonework of the windows had been heavily re-inforced in cement and cusping added in the heads of the lights; these additions have also been removed and the stonework restored. The original timber roof with its curved and moulded trusses and octagonal louvre was found to have survived more or less completely and after re-construction has been re-instated. A certain amount of original linen-fold panelling was found in the roof and has now been fixed in the hall.

Holborn: (6) Gray's Inn.—The block of offices No. 7, on the E. side of South Square, was pulled down and replaced by a new Library in 1925.

Lambeth: (1) St. Mary Lambeth.—Insert under Monuments—in S. porch— to William Suthes, 1625, master-mason of Windsor Castle, plain slate tablet.

Westminster: (27) Malmesbury House Undercroft.—This undercroft should be described, more correctly, as under Cadogan House.

Westminster: (35) Harrington House.—This house was demolished in 1928–9 except for the W. front which together with the re-constructed staircase will be incorporated in the new building.

Vol. III.

Page 27. Heading and first line of Section 5, for 60 read 61 and delete Footnote 2.

All Hallows Barking.—In 1928 a Roman pavement of plain red tesseræ was found under the tower of the church and extending a short distance to the east.

Vol. IV.

Farringdon Without: (5) St. Dunstan in the West, p. 133a, Monument (12), the date of Joshua Marshall should read 1678 not 1675.

Farringdon Without: (10) Middle Temple.—The centre-piece of the fountain shown in Plate 198 is modern and has now been removed.



<--Previous:
Woolwich
Next:-->
Glossary