8 BARTON (with Barton Fell) (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VII, N.W., (b)VII, N.E., (c)VII, S.W.,
(d)VII, S.E., (e)XIII, N.W.)
Barton is a parish on the E. side of Ullswater and
the river Eamont. The church, Barton Church Farm
and the prehistoric monuments on Barton Fell are the
b(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 75)
stands in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of
local sandstone rubble with dressings and ashlar of the
same material; the roofs are slate-covered. The Central
Tower and Nave were built in the 12th century. The
Chancel was re-built in the 13th century, and rather
after the middle of the same century the S. arcade was
built and the South Aisle added; c. 1280–1300 the N.
arcade was built and the North Aisle added. About
1300 the South Chapel was added, overlapping the tower,
and early in the 14th century the chancel was largely
re-built and extended to the E.; probably at the same
period the tower-arches were re-built and widened
and the tower probably reduced in height. In the
17th century the South Porch and Stabling, N. of the
tower, were added and the chancel heightened. The
church was restored in 1904 and the S. wall of the
chancel has been largely re-built, probably in the 17th
The church is of considerable architectural interest
and among the fittings the inscribed coffin-lid and the
communion-rails are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (38 ft. by
18½ ft.) has an early 14th-century E. window of three
pointed lights in a two-centred head with a moulded
label. In the S. wall is a 14th-century segmental
arch of two chamfered orders; the E. respond has
an attached shaft with a moulded capital, a shield of the
arms of Lancaster and two carved heads; the W.
respond has a corbel carved with a crude bust holding
a shield of Lancaster; E. of the arch is the W. jamb
and part of the arch of a destroyed 13th-century
doorway; above it is the E. jamb and part of the head
of a window or opening, perhaps of the 13th century.
The South Chapel (38½ ft. by 10¼ ft.) has an E. window
of c. 1300 and of two pointed lights. In the S. wall
are two windows, the eastern of the 16th century
and of two elliptical-headed lights; the second window
is similar but modern except for the splays; between
them is a doorway of c. 1300, with moulded jambs,
two-centred arch and label. There was formerly a
wall between the chapel and the S. aisle, removed some
time after 1879.
The Central Tower (12¼ ft. by 13¾ ft.) is of two stages
with a plain parapet; it is of the 12th century, reduced
in height in the 14th century. The E. and W. walls
(Plate 76) have each a 12th-century round arch of two
orders on the W. face, the inner moulded and the outer
chamfered; the responds have chamfered imposts; the
lower parts of the responds of both arches have been
removed for the insertion of a broader 14th-century
arch of segmental form and of one moulded order
continued down the jambs. On the E. wall are the
marks of a lower roof of the chancel. In the S. wall
of the ground stage is a round-headed 12th-century
window; the stage has a rubble barrel-vault running
N. and S. The second stage has a set-back at the base
of the 14th-century heightening; the E., S. and W.
walls have each a 14th-century window of two pointed
lights; the window in the N. wall is blocked.
Barton - Parish Church of St Michael
The Nave (40¾ ft. by 21 ft.) has a N. arcade of c. 1280–
1300 and of three bays with two-centred arches of two
chamfered orders; the piers have each four grouped
and filleted shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
and the responds have moulded corbels, the eastern
with a carved head. The mid to late 13th-century
S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders; the columns are octagonal
with moulded capitals and bases and the responds
have attached half-columns. In the W. wall is an
early 16th-century window of three pointed lights
in a segmental head with a moulded label; on the
soffit of the rear-arch is a panel with the monogram
L.L. and a shield-of-arms of Lancaster.
The North Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has an E. wall probably
of the 17th century. In the N. wall, the lower part
of which is probably of the 13th century, are two much
restored 16th-century windows, each of two round-headed lights; the re-set 12th-century N. doorway
has moulded jambs and round head, it is now blocked.
The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall,
two modern windows; the mid to late 13th-century
S. doorway has a round arch of three orders, the outer
plain, the middle chamfered and the inner moulded;
the jambs have each two shafts with moulded capitals
and bases; the outer shafts are modern.
The South Porch is of early 17th-century date and has
a moulded elliptical outer archway with a key-stone;
above it is a panel with a shield of the arms of Lowther,
quartering Lancaster, Beetham and Hartsop.
The Stabling, N. of the tower, was used for its
original purpose until comparatively recent years.
In the N. wall is a square-headed 17th-century window.
Fittings—Bells: two, 2nd dated 1672 with the
inscription "Saint Mickhaell for Barton." Bracket:
In S. chapel—on E. wall, moulded semi-octagonal
bracket, 15th-century. Brass and Indents: Brass:
In chancel—on E. wall, to Frances (Fletcher) wife of
Lancelot Dawes, 1673–4, inscription set in stone frame
with the name Phineas Briggs of York on the brass.
Indents: In chancel—(1–4) of inscription-plates. By
door of stable—(5) of inscription-plate. Chair: In
chancel—with turned legs, shaped arms, enriched
panelled back and cresting, mid 17th-century. Coffin-lids: In chancel—(1) with ornamental cross in high
relief, inscription in Lombardic capitals to Cris[top]her
de La[ncaster], sword and shield-of-arms of Lancaster,
early 14th-century; (2) with ornamental cross and
sword, c. 1300. In S. chapel—re-used as lintel to E.
window, (3) slab with remains of cross and sword,
probably early 13th-century. In S. aisle—incorporated
in second S. window, (4) stone with crude incised crosshead, mediæval. Incorporated in E. wall of porch:
(5) fragment with ornamental cross, late 13th-century.
Communion Rails: with turned balusters and moulded
top-rail, late 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl (Plate
43), splayed underside and moulded angles, moulded
necking, short stem and moulded base splayed out of
square, 13th or early 14th-century. Monument and
Floor-slabs. Monument: In S. chapel—on S. wall,
to W.D., 1674 (William Davyes), tablet with oval
cartouche in broken pediment on brackets. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) with initials .. H., G.W.,
17th-century partly covered; (2) to M.L., W.L., 1640.
In S. porch—(3) to M.S., late 17th-century. Panelling:
In chancel—round E. end, panelled dado, late 17th-century. Incorporated in screen to vestry, late 17th-century panelling. Piscina: In S. chapel—in S. wall,
recess with trefoiled ogee head of re-used window-tracery, 14th-century, drain cut in late 12th-century
capital with water-leaf foliage. Plate: Includes cup
of 1632 and an early 18th-century flagon. Stoup:
In S. chapel—next doorway, recess with round head
and broken bowl, probably early 16th-century.
Miscellanea: In S. chapel—below E. window, slab
5¾ ft. long carved with conventional ornament, rosette,
fleur-de-lis, two birds, trees, etc., 16th-century.
Incorporated in N. wall of chancel, 14th-century panel
with two quatrefoils; in S. wall, fragments of 12th-century detail. In N. aisle wall—in blocking of N.
doorway, 12th-century voussoir with cheveron-ornament. In E. wall of porch—panel with shield-of-arms
of three stags' heads in low relief, 15th or 16th-century,
and fragment with 12th-century cheveron-ornament.
b(2). Barton Church Farm, house and outbuildings, 250 yards W. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and
the roofs are slate-covered. The building is L-shaped
with the wings extending towards the S. and E. The
S. wing dates from the 16th century; the E. wing was
added in 1628 by the then vicar of Barton, Lancelot
Dawes. The porch was added in 1693, probably by
The house contains some interesting remains of
The 16th-century S. wing retains many of its original
stone-mullioned windows with moulded labels; one
on the W. side is of four transomed lights; the
doorway below it has chamfered jambs and square
head. On the E. side is an original staircase-projection
with a square-headed window. The E. wing retains
some 17th-century windows, including one of five
lights with a moulded label, E. of the porch. The
porch is ashlar-faced and has a doorway with a
triangular arch in a square head; above it is a panel
with a moulded label, carved stops and the inscription
"L. and A.D. Non est haec requies 1628. T. and
E.D. 1693." The inner doorway has moulded jambs
and a triangular arch in a square head; the nail-studded
door has strap-hinges. Inside the building, the former
Hall, in the S. wing, has exposed ceiling-beams and
a fireplace with a wide segmental arch. The two
staircases retain their original stone steps and newel,
in whole or in part. In the E. wall of the E. wing is a
fireplace with moulded jambs and square head. The
first floor room in the S. wing retains parts of a late
16th or early 17th-century plaster ceiling, of two bays
and formerly completely covered with elaborate ribbed
panelling enclosing vine-sprays, rosettes, thistles and
conventional scrolls; part of the plasterwork formerly
on the soffit of a beam has been re-set above the fireplace; it has scrolled arabesques, masks and birds
and below ten grotesque human faces from the ceiling;
the date 1628 is modern. The roof of the S. wing has
tie-beams, struts and curved collars.
The Outbuildings form an L-shaped block adjoining
the E. end of the house. The S. range is of c. 1628,
but the roof was re-built c. 1754. There are some
original doorways, loop-lights and windows. A
doorway in the N. wall retains its original flanking
and panelled pilasters. The E. range, extending N.,
was built early in the 18th century and retains several
doorways of that period; one has a key-stone with the
initials and date T. and E.D. Augt. 13th 1702, and
another with the same initials and date Augt. 22. 1701;
above this is an achievement of the arms of Dawes.
The interior has some exposed ceiling-beams, and the
stalls in the stabling are probably original.
b(3). Kirkbarrow, house (Plate 17) and outbuildings 350 yards S.E. of the church. The House is of
two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are
slate-covered. The main block incorporates portions
of crutch-construction probably of mediæval date.
The house was largely re-built, probably by Cuthbert
Sisson, late in the 16th century. There is a late
17th-century addition at the E. end of the N. side.
The late 16th-century windows have mostly been altered
or blocked. The two-storeyed S. porch has inner
and outer doorways with triangular arches in square
heads; the door in the outer doorway is of the 17th
century with strap-hinges; the room above has a
two-light window. Inside the building, some of the
ceiling-beams are exposed. The E. part of the main
block has three mediæval crutch-trusses with heavy
collars. There is a stone newel-staircase and a large
open fireplace with a segmental arch. The Outbuilding,
N. of the house, is probably of late 17th-century date
with later additions.
b(4). Winder Hall, nearly 1¼ m. S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are slate-covered. The main block is
dated 1612 and the E. and W. wings were added
shortly afterwards. The house retains a number of
17th-century stone-mullioned windows, some with
moulded labels; the E. doorway of the main block
has moulded jambs and triangular arch in a square
head with a label and the date 1612; the nail-studded
door is of the same date and has an ornamental
scutcheon. The W. door is also of the 17th century
and has strap-hinges. Next to it is a projection enclosing a newel-staircase. The E. wing has two 17th-century doorways and a bay-window of four lights
with one light on each return; it rests on three shaped
stone corbels. Inside the building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed and in the main block is a large
fireplace with a segmental arch. Several of the doorways are original.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(5). Glebe Farm, house 150 yards W. of the church,
was built by Lancelot Dawes in 1637. The outbuilding to the W. was added c. 1700 and an addition
made W. of the porch. The two-storeyed porch
on the N. front has an outer entrance with a triangular
arch in a square head; above it is a panel with the
inscription "L.D. Non mihi sed successoribus 1637";
the window on the first floor is of three lights with a
label. Other windows on the same side are of similar
type and there are four original windows on the S. side.
The front doorway has a 17th-century door with
strap-hinges. Inside the building the E. fireplace
has corbelled jambs and a square head. Two of the
doorways on the first floor have ogee heads. The
barn, N.W. of the house, is of late 17th-century date.
b(6). Hatch Box, building 300 yards S.E. of the
church, is partly a one-storeyed barn. The middle
compartment (7 ft. square) has walls sloping outwards
to the ceiling level; lying E. and W. are two wedge-shaped ceiling-beams and in the E. and W. walls are
curved 'crutches' with collars; this chamber is entered
by a low doorway on the W. with the mortices of a
large cross-beam 1½ ft. above the floor. The purpose
of this structure is uncertain.
b(7). Low Brow, house 1,050 yards S. of the church,
has an early 18th-century addition on the E. It retains
some original windows.
b(8). High Brow, house 340 yards E. of (7), was
built early in the 18th century. The windows are
mostly of this date and the doorway has an architrave,
frieze with the initials and date C.S. 1708, and a cornice.
b(9). North Farm, Cellaron, house, now farmbuilding, 1,600 yards S.E. of the church.
b(10). Keeper's Cottage, 20 yards S. of (9), has a later
addition at the N. end. It contains large and small
panelled cupboards of c. 1700.
b(11). Cottage, 100 yards N. of (4), retains some
b(12). High Winder, house 670 yards S.S.E. of (4),
has an early 18th-century addition on the W. By an
outbuilding S. of the house is a square boundary-stone
with the initials L., M. and L.
a(13). Moorend, house 1,400 yards S.W. of the
church, has an 18th-century addition on the N. Inside
the building is an original newel-staircase and a
panelled cupboard of the local type with simple
a(14). Hole House, 660 yards S.W. of (13), has some
original windows and a doorway with embattled
enrichment on the lintel and the date and initials
1693 R. and M.N. The main fireplace has corbelled
jambs, square head and cornice.
a(15). Bowerbank, cottage, 360 yards S.S.E. of (14).
a(16). Cracoe, house 300 yards E. of (15), has been
largely re-built but retains a panel with the date and
initials 1687 A. and S.S.
a(17). The Bank, house on the S. side of the road at
Pooley Bridge 1½ m. S.S.W. of the church, retains some
a(18). Barn, now carpenter's shop, 10 yards N. of
(17), has the initials and date W.P. 1708 on the doorlintel.
c(19). Elderbeck, house and barn 2 m. S.S.W. of the
church. The House has been much altered, but
retains a doorway with moulded jambs, square head
and cornice. The Barn, N.W. of the house, has an
original doorway with a four-centred head and the
initials and date T.W. 1681. There is a similar
doorway in the N. wall.
e(20). Woodside, house 700 yards S. of (19), is of two
storeys with attics. Some of the original windows
have been altered. Inside the building are some
original moulded ceiling-beams and a fireplace with a
moulded surround of c. 1700. The roof of the main
block is of three bays with curved principals. N.W.
of the house is a late 17th-century barn.
c(21). Parkhouse, 220 yards S.S.W. of (20), has a
later E. wing. The house retains some original
windows and a large open fireplace in the E. wing
with a three-centred head.
"The Cockpit" (Stone circle on Barton Fell.)
c(22). Waterside House, on the E. bank of the lake
1 m. S.S.W. of Pooley Bridge, has some original
windows and a doorway with a panelled and enriched
lintel, the initials and date T. and E.D. 1694 and a
moulded cornice. There are several original panelled
doors. The Barn, N.E. of the house, is of six bays.
c(23). Cross Dormont, house 570 yards S. of (22),
retains a doorway with the initials and date T.W. 1682.
The outbuildings, attached to the house, retain some
c(24). Crookdyke, house 630 yards S. of (23).
c(25). Thwaitehill, house 300 yards S.W. of (24), has
been much altered in the 18th century.
c(26). Auterstone, house at the S. end of the parish,
contains a panelled and enriched cupboard of the
local type, with the initials and date C. and S.L. 1659.
A barn, S.W. of the house, retains a roof-truss of
c(27). Earthwork, called Crannog on the O.S.,
on the E. bank of Ullswater ¾ m. S.S.W. of Pooley
Bridge, consists of an area enclosed by the lake on the
N. and W. and by the remains of a ditch on the E.
and S. The ditch on the E. retains a slight outer
bank, but the S. arm has been filled in except for a
length of scarp near the S.E. angle. In the S.W.
corner of the enclosure is a small hill or mound,
probably natural. The work is perhaps of the homestead-moat type.
c(28). The Cockpit, remains of a circular stone
structure on the N. part of Barton Fell and on the
S. side of High Street, over 1½ m. S.E. of Pooley
Bridge. The work consists of what appears to be the
remains of two concentric rings of stones (internal
diameter 84–6 ft.) probably representing the inner
and outer faces of a rough enclosing wall; most of
the stones have fallen, but some thirty still remain
standing on the inner line. On the line of the ring,
on the E. side, are remains of what may have been a
cairn or possibly a dwelling; there are two other
collections of stones on the W. side of the ring.
c and d(29). Mounds, about ¼ m. N. of (28) and
either side of the track from Pooley Bridge. (a) Mound
on the N. side of the track 350 yards N.W. of Ketley
Gate, is about 12 ft. in diameter and 1¼ ft. high.
(b) Two low mounds on either side of the track 270
yards W.N.W. of (a) are about 15 ft. in diameter.
e(30). Stone Circle on Barton Fell, near the source
of Swarth Beck and 2½ m. S.W. of (28), is about 57 ft.
in diameter. Some 65 stones are left, but only one of
these remains standing, about 3½ ft. high.
See also under Askham (46).