11 BOWNESS ON WINDERMERE (B.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXII, S.E.)
Bowness is a small civil parish on the E. side of the
lake. The church of the old parish of Windermere is
the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Martin at Bowness
is built of local rubble with sandstone dressings; the
roofs are covered with lead. The church is said to
have been burnt down in the 15th century and to have
been re-built and consecrated in 1483. To this period
belong the Chancel and Nave, the North and South
Aisles and the West Tower. The South Porch was
added perhaps early in the 16th century. The church
was completely restored in 1870, when the chancel
was lengthened and the tower heightened. The
North Chapel was added in 1922 and the North Vestries
are also modern.
Bowness, The Parish Church of St. Martin, Windermere
Among the fittings the glass in the E. window is
noteworthy and the inscriptions on the arcades are of
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave
(100 ft. by 20½ ft.) are structurally undivided. The
seven-light E. window is modern but reproduces the
earlier window. The N. and S. arcades, presumably
of late 15th-century date but plastered, are each of
six bays with plain two-centred arches and square
piers with chamfered angles, brought out to the square
at the impost-level. The late 15th-century clearstorey
has, on each side, six old windows, each of three
square-headed lights; the two easternmost windows
on each side are modern.
The North Aisle (15¾ ft. wide) has a modern E.
window. In the N. wall are five windows, the easternmost modern; the other windows are of late 15th-century origin more or less restored; they are each
of three pointed or four-centred lights in a square
head, except the first, where the heads of the lights
have been altered to a rounded form. The opening
to the organ-chamber is modern; the 15th-century
N. doorway has chamfered jambs and four-centred
head with a re-set label. In the W. wall is a restored
15th-century window similar to those in the N. wall,
but with a modern head.
The South Aisle (16½ ft. wide) is of late 15th-century
date and has a partly restored E. window of four
four-centred lights in a square head with a moulded
label. In the S. wall are four windows, the three
eastern similar to that in the E. wall and the westernmost modern; between the two eastern windows is a
doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs, two-centred
head and a moulded label; the S. doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs and elliptical head with a relieving-arch. In the W. wall is a window similar to the E.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of three stages, the
two lower of late 15th-century date and the bell-chamber modern. The plain plastered tower-arch
has square responds and two-centred arch. The
blocked W. doorway has hollowed-chamfered jambs
and two-centred head with a moulded label; the W.
window is modern. The second stage has a modern
window in the N. and W. walls.
The South Porch, probably of early 16th-century date,
has an outer archway with rough jambs and triangular
head. The side walls have each a loop-light.
Re-set in the modern N. vestry is a late 15th-century
window of three pointed lights in a square head, with
a moulded label.
The Roof of the main body of the church is probably
of late 15th-century date; it is low-pitched and of
ten bays with cambered tie-beams and king-posts;
the three E. trusses are modern. The roof of the N.
aisle, excluding the N. chapel, is of the same date; it
is of pent form and of five bays with chamfered main
timbers. The S. aisle has a similar roof of six bays.
The porch-roof is of uncertain date; it has a chamfered
ridge, plain rafters and plates.
Fittings—Books: In nave—four bibles of 1599,
1608 and 1611, and an authorised version of 1636,
also a Defence of the Apology of the Church of England. Brass: see Monument (2). Chests: In N. aisle—
(1) of plain boards on raised feet, with line of incised
embattled ornament on front, two handles and one
lock, late 17th or early 18th-century. In rectory—
(2) plain with iron straps and two locks, late 17th or
early 18th-century; (3) plain, of hutch-type with two
hasps and locks, probably same period as last. Church—
yard Cross: S. of church—octagonal shaft on four
octagonal steps, mediæval. Font: octagonal bowl (Plate
43) with projecting rim and splayed underside, four
crudely carved human heads at alternate angles, possibly
13th-century, stem modern. Glass: In chancel—in E.
window (Plate 81), partly restored glass almost certainly from Cartmel Priory; the seven main lights are
occupied by figures of the Crucifixion (head modern)
with St. Mary and St. John in the middle lights, St.
George and St. Barbara on the N. and St. Katherine and
a jumble with four small figures on the S.; the Crucifix
has attendant angels holding chalices to the wounds;
St. John is much restored and St. Barbara is mostly
modern, there being no evidence as to what saint was
originally represented; St. George is in late 15th-century armour and St. Katherine holds the sword
and wheel; the small figures in the S. light represent
two archbishops and two deacons, probably St.
Stephen and St. Lawrence; above the main figures
are canopies of tabernacle-work and at the foot of six
of the lights are panels with kneeling figures of donors;
(a) a canon, with the inscription "John Plo . . . por.
(prior) of Kerkmel"; (b) a man in armour with a tabard
and a lady in a heraldic mantle, with the inscription
"Willm. Thornboro and his wyff"; the tabard bears
the Thornborough arms and the mantle bears Thornborough impaling a coat ascribed to Broughton but
if so wrongly restored; (c) group of canons, with the
names Thomas Hogson, Willym Bareaye, Will.
(Purfoot), Roger Thwaytts and George Fis[hwick]
(d) figures of a man and lady similar to (b), formerly
with the inscription ". . . Pennyghton and hys wiff";
the tabard bears the arms of Pennington and the mantle
the same arms impaling Eure; (e) similar group,
inscription missing; the tabard bears arms ascribed
to Kirkby and the mantle those of Fitzalan of Bedale;
(f) similar group with remains of an inscription
". . . ington wyf"; there is no heraldry, but the
tabard is said to have formerly borne the arms of
Swetenham; all the above glass is probably of late
15th-century date; the tracery-lights are filled with
glass of various dates, including 21 shields-of-arms,
five of them set in trefoiled panels from 14th-century
windows; the lights are as follows: (a) mostly foliage;
(b) parts of a figure-subject, perhaps the Entry into
Jerusalem, also four shields, 1, Gurney, 2, Urswick,
3, Harrington with a label and 4, Harrington with a
label impaling Frecton; (c) figures of the Virgin and
Child and four shields, 1, Harrington, 2, Bardsey
impaling Leyborne, 3, Fleming?, 4, Grey of Ruthyn
quartering Hastings and Valence; (d) fragments of
a figure-subject, perhaps the Resurrection and two
shields, 1, Argent two bars azure quartering a blank
coat, 2, 15th-century Royal Arms with a label and
the garter probably for Edward Prince of Wales;
(e) fragments and seven shields, 1, Middleton of Leighton Hall, 2, Washington (?) quartering Lawrence (?),
3, Sable three lions argent quartering Harrington with a
label, 4, Gules three hand-mirrors (?) argent, 5, Fleming,
6, Cartmel Priory, 7, Redmain; (f) fragments and
four shields, 1, Redmain, 2, Thweng, 3, Cartmel
Priory, 4, Frecton; (g) fragments; the heraldry
above is largely of late 13th and 14th-century date
except the one 15th-century piece. In N. aisle—
in third N. window, panel with carrier's implements—rope, hook, packing pins and a type of
hammer, 16th or 17th-century with modern inscription
below. Monuments: In S. aisle—on S. wall, (1) to
Robert Philipson, 1631, plain marble tablet; on
second pier, (2) to Thomas Dixon, 1691, brass plate
with wooden frame. Paintings: On soffit of second
arch on S. side, Latin inscription in nine verses commemorating the failure of the Gunpowder Plot, with
the name and date of Christopher Philipson Jun.
1629; ornamental bands above and below inscription.
On spandrels of N. and S. arcades, eight inscriptions
in black-letter consisting of questions and answers
taken from "Short Questions and Answeares" by
Thomas Dawson, 1590, probably late 16th or early
17th-century; two further inscriptions at E. end,
modern or partly modern. On face of third pillar
on N., text from Coverdale's Bible, 2nd Timothy iv. 2.
Plate: includes cup and cover-paten of 1682 with
band of engraved ornament round bowl of cup and
inscription of 1684, also a pewter flagon and plate.
Stoup: In S. porch—in N.E. angle, roughly cut recess
probably for former stoup. Tables: In vestry—
(Plate 38) with turned legs, carved top rail and brackets,
initials and date I. and A.G. 1629 on top of front legs.
In nave—with turned legs and plain rails, late 17th or
early 18th-century, front top-rail, re-used material with
Elizabethan arabesque carving on back. Miscellanea:
In tower—carved wooden figure of St. Martin on horseback, dividing his cloak with a beggar, probably
17th-century and foreign.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams and
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(2). Rectory, about ½ m. S. of the church, is said to
have been partly re-built in 1650 and again partly in
1680. It was 'improved' in 1770 and has modern
additions on the E. and S. The house has a cross-wing at the E. end and a porch on the N. side. The
main entrance has an original door of moulded battens.
Inside the building are some original doors and two
cupboards with moulded framing. The room over
the porch has an early 18th-century fireplace with a
moulded surround and in the scullery is a boarded
(3). Bordriggs Farm, house, 1,200 yards S. of the
church. The projecting part of the E. wing is a later
addition. Inside the building, the main room has two
early 16th-century moulded ceiling-beams, re-used.
(4). Brantfield Farm, house, ½ m. E.S.E. of the
church, has additions on the N. side. Inside the
building are some late 17th and early 18th-century
doors and a boarded partition.
(5). Helm Farm, house, 1,150 yards E. of the church,
has a wing on the S. side. On the N. front is a
lozenge-shaped panel with the initials and date I. and
(6). Lickbarrow, house, 600 yards N.E. of (5), was
re-built in 1730, but incorporates an earlier three-stage
cupboard of the local type with carved panels and top
rail; on the middle cupboard are the initials and date
A. and K.A. 1615, I.B.
(7). Old Heathwaite Farm, house, 200 yards N. of
(6), has been re-built in the 18th century but incorporates a three-stage cupboard with carved framing,
panels and top-rail; on the rail are the initials and date
G. and I.B. 1694. The barn adjoining the house on
the N.W. is perhaps of the 17th century.
(8). Cottage at Millbeck Stock, 700 yards N. of the
church, has an added wing on the N. Inside the
building is a two-stage cupboard with a carved top
rail dated 1684. There is also an original muntin and
(9). Old Fallbarrow, house, 200 yards N.N.W. of the
church, has been altered and added to in the 18th
century. Inside the building is a large two-stage
cupboard, with carved panels, styles and rails; on
the projecting top-rail are the initials and date P. and
M.C. 1662. There are also two original doors and a
framed and moulded partition.
(10). New Hall Inn, two tenements, 80 yards N.N.E.
of the church, was much altered in the 18th century.
(11). Robinson's Place, house, three tenements, 40
yards N.N.W. of the church, was built late in the 17th
or early in the 18th century but has been considerably