15 BURTON (D.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLVII, S.W.)
Burton is a parish and small town 6 m. W.S.W. of
Kirkby Lonsdale. The church is the principal monument. In the square of the town is an 18th-century
market-cross still retaining the leg-irons which did
duty as stocks.
(1). Parish Church of St. James (Plate 11)
stands in the middle of the parish. The walls
are of local limestone rubble with sandstone dressings
and the roofs are slate-covered. The earliest part of
the existing building is the 12th-century West Tower;
at this period the nave appears to have been rather
wider than, but of the same length as, the present
nave; the N.W. angle is still preserved in the W.
wall of the N. aisle. A N. aisle was perhaps added
in the 13th century, and late in the same century the
N. Chapel was added. The S. arcade was built and
the South Aisle added in the 14th century. Late in
the 15th or early in the 16th century the N. arcade
was built and the North Aisle added or re-built; at
the same time the chancel-arch was removed and the
South Chapel added. The South Porch is probably of
mediæval date, but retains no old features. The
church was restored in 1844, when the Chancel and
North Chapel were re-built and the clearstorey added;
the church was again restored in 1872, when the S.
arcade of the chancel was re-built.
Burton - The Parish Church of St. James
Architectural Description—The Chancel (40½ ft. by
17½–19 ft.) has a modern E. wall and window. In the
N. wall is a modern arch opening into the N. chapel
and the E. bay of the N. arcade of the nave is included
in the chancel. The S. arcade is modern. There is no
The North Chapel (15 ft. by 14 ft.) is modern but
has a late 13th-century E. window of three pointed
lights with plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred
The South Chapel (28 ft. by 14¾ ft.) has a re-set E.
window of c. 1300 and of three trefoiled lights with
plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred head;
above the window is a carved man's head. In the S.
wall are two windows probably of late 16th-century
date and of two square-headed lights with a moulded
label; between them is a re-set doorway of c. 1300,
with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head.
The Nave (40 ft. by 21½ ft.) has a late 15th or early
16th-century N. arcade of four bays, with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the octagonal piers
have splayed capitals and splayed and chamfered bases;
the responds are chamfered and have chamfered
imposts. The 14th-century S. arcade is of three bays
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders;
the octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds have
moulded capitals and bases; the E. respond is modern
and the E. half of the first arch has been re-built. The
clearstorey of the chancel and nave is modern.
The North Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
four windows, the easternmost of the 16th century
and of two square-headed lights with a moulded label;
the second and third windows are of early 16th-century
date and of two and three lights respectively; the
lights have rounded heads and the windows have
moulded labels; the westernmost window is of the
14th century, re-set; it is of two ogee lights in a square
head with head-stops; farther W. are traces of a
destroyed doorway. In the W. wall is a 16th-century
window of two square-headed lights with remains of a
moulded label and head-stops.
The South Aisle (12½ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall,
two windows of c. 1330 and each of two trefoiled ogee
lights in a square head; the 14th-century S. doorway
has hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
In the W. wall is a partly restored early 16th-century
window of three elliptical-headed lights in a square
head with a moulded label.
The West Tower (15¾ ft. by 15 ft.) is of 12th-century
origin and of three storeys with a later embattled
parapet. The 12th-century tower-arch is semi-circular and of one plain order with chamfered imposts.
The late 14th-century W. window is of two trefoiled
ogee lights with tracery in a semi-circular head. The
second storey has a square-headed light in the S. wall.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, an early 16th-century window of two elliptical-headed lights.
The Roof of the chancel and nave is of nine bays
with eight king-post trusses; the four westernmost
trusses are of heavier timbers than the rest and are
probably of early 16th-century date; the others are of
late 16th or early 17th-century date. The pent-roof
of the N. aisle is probably of the 16th century. The
gabled roof of the S. aisle is of eight bays with tiebeams and struts to the principal rafters; it is of the
16th century or earlier.
Fittings—Chairs: In chancel—two, one (Plate 39)
with turned front legs, shaped arms, carved and panelled
back with scrolled cresting and the date 1712; second
chair with square legs, shaped arms, panelled back and
shaped cresting, late 17th-century. Cross-shafts: In N.
aisle—three fragments (Plate 7) probably from the
same cross, (a) greater part of a wheel-head (14¼ in.
across); (b) top of shaft (9 in. across face and 13 in. high)
with panel with defaced figure on face, conventional
ornaments on side; (c) lower part of shaft (9¼ to 11 in.
across face and 3 ft. 2 in. high) with panel of figure
subjects on face including two figures above and under
an arch, a larger figure holding a cross and perhaps small
figures below, possibly the Harrowing of Hell;
at back conventional scrolled ornaments much defaced;
sides also with conventional design and interlacement
much weathered; cross probably late 10th-century.
Part of a second shaft (6½ in. wide and 16 in. high)
with roll-moulded angles, with zig-zag and crude scroll
pattern, 10th or 11th-century. Font: In churchyard—
octagonal bowl, shaft and chamfered base, probably
16th-century. Panelling: In N. aisle—on N. wall,
panelling with carved enrichments and the inscription
"P.L. Fundator 1628"; on E. wall two similar
panels with the inscription "Soli (Deo) Gloria."
Piscinæ: In S. chapel—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and three-sided head, fragmentary drain,
probably early 16th-century. In S. aisle—in S. wall,
recess with trefoiled head and round drain, cut back,
14th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 54) of 1634
(York) and cover-paten with the date 1633 on the foot.
Pulpit: of five sides and of oak (Plate 53), each side
in two tiers of panels, lower with enriched pilasters and
lozenge-enrichment, upper panels with enriched arches
enclosing carved designs, frieze and sill enriched, early
17th-century, cornice, posts and base modern. Recess:
In S. aisle—in S. wall, with moulded segmental head
and enclosing slab with diaper, representing the arms
of Harrington (?) with a label, 14th-century tomb-recess. Miscellanea: In churchyard—apex-stone of
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys.
The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(2). Clawthorpe Hall, 750 yards N. of the church,
is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N.E.
end. In the S.W. front is a panel with the initials
and date S. and M.O. 1673, and there are some original
stone windows, mainly on the N.E. side. Inside the
building, the kitchen has an original fireplace with
moulded jambs and elliptical head. Another fireplace has an enriched and shaped sinking on the
lintel. The staircase has turned balusters and square
newels and ball-terminals.
(3). Cottage, on the N.W. side of the road 200 yards
E.N.E. of (2).
(4). Rose Cottage, 400 yards N.E. of (3), was built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
(5). Oakwood Farm, house, two tenements, 50
yards E. of (4).
(6). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, opposite
the church, said to have been the old school. The
doorway in the S. wall has a lintel with the date 1689
and an added inscription of 1785.
(7). Cottage, two tenements, adjoining (6) on the N.
(8). Ivy Cottage, on the W. side of the road 70 yards
S. of the church, retains some original windows with
modern mullions. Inside the building is a two-stage
cupboard (Plate 35) of the local type, with carved
upper panels, pendants and fascia with the initials and
date S.B. 1708. Another room has a large wall-cupboard with panelled doors. In the kitchen is an early
18th-century fireplace with a corbelled head.
(9). Old Hall, on the N. side of the road 200 yards
S.S.W. of the church, retains an original stone window
and a doorway with embattled cutting on the face of the
(10). Burton Hall, nearly opposite (9), retains two
original stone windows with moulded labels. Inside
the building, the staircase has turned balusters and an
earlier enriched newel on the landing. The S.E.
room has an early 18th-century fireplace with a corbelled head.
(11). House, standing back, on the W. side of the
main street and 460 yards S. of the church.
(12). House, immediately S.E. of (11), retains an
original stone window at the back.
(13). Range of two cottages at the N.W. corner of
the square has an upper storey projecting over the
pavement on three stone piers.
(14). Cottage, now bakehouse, behind the S.W. corner
of the square, has remains of a staircase with turned
balusters and moulded handrail.
(15). Range of three tenements, on the W. side of
the street 20 yards S. of the square, is partly of plastered
timber-framing. The upper storey has a deep projection on the street-front. Inside the building is an
early 18th-century fireplace with a corbelled head.
(16). Cottage, 160 yards S. of (15).
(17). Hordley House, 30 yards S. of (16), was built
late in the 17th or early in the 18th century. The
upper windows in front have solid wooden frames with
mullion and transom. Inside the building is a fireplace with a corbelled head and the staircase retains
two newels with attached half-balusters. The barn,
S.W. of the house, is probably of the same age.
(18). Manor House, on the E. side of the main street
680 yards S. of the church, is of three storeys and
appears to have been re-built late in the 18th century.
It has, however, a panel with the initials and date T.
and I.S. 1701.
(19). House, 110 yards N. of (18), has two chimney
stacks with round or oval shafts. Inside the building
is a cupboard with the initials R.H. on the door.
(20). House, 70 yards N. of (19), has a chimney-stack with a diagonal shaft. Inside the building are
some original panelled doors.
(21). House, 50 yards N. of (20), retains two original
windows lighting the cellars.
(22). Range of cottages, 30 yards E. of (21), is modern
but incorporates a stone lintel with embattled sinking
and the initials and date R.G. 1665.