18 CLIFTON (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)III, S.E., (b)IV, S.W., (c)VII, N.E.,
Clifton is a parish and village 10 m. N.W. of Appleby.
The church and Clifton Hall are the principal monuments.
(1). Parish Church of St. Cuthbert stands in
the N.W. part of the parish. The walls are of local
limestone rubble with dressings of the same material;
the roofs are slate-covered. The Nave was built in
the 12th century. The chancel was re-built and
lengthened in the first half of the 13th century and the
North Aisle was added probably in the 14th century.
The South Porch is of uncertain date. The church
was restored in 1846, when the Chancel was re-built
with the re-use of old material.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¾ ft. by
14 ft.) is modern but incorporates some old features.
In the E. wall are three graduated 13th-century lancetwindows. In the S. wall are two similar windows
and farther W. a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs, shouldered head and modern lintel.
The Nave (34 ft. by 17¾ ft.) has, in the N. wall, a
wide opening into the N. aisle. In the S. wall is a
17th-century window of two square-headed lights
with a moulded label; the 12th-century S. doorway
has square jambs and re-cut chamfered imposts, on
which rest a round arch and a plain tympanum almost
flush with the wall-face. In the W. wall is a modern
window and on the W. gable is a plain gabled bell-cote.
The North Aisle (8 ft. wide) has a 16th or 17th-century E. window of two square-headed lights.
In the N. wall is a 14th-century doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and segmental head; it is now
blocked. In the W. wall is a window similar to the
E. window but of one light.
The South Porch has an outer archway with plain
jambs, segmental head and hollow-chamfered imposts.
Fittings—Brackets: In N. aisle—on E. wall, two
chamfered stone brackets, mediæval. Churchyard Cross:
S.E. of porch—rough square base and square to
octagonal shaft, mediæval, later sundial on top.
Coffin-lid: In chancel—slab with traces of cross and
sword, probably 13th-century. Communion Table:
with turned legs and moulded rails, 17th-century.
Font: octagonal bowl, cylindrical stem and moulded
base, probably all modern, but parts perhaps re-cut.
Glass: In W. window of N. aisle—figure of virginsaint, 15th-century; shield-of-arms of Wybergh
impaling Engayne, perhaps c. 1700. Locker: In
chancel—in N. wall, recess with trefoiled head and
hook for former door, 13th-century, re-set. Monument:
In N. aisle—on N. wall, slab recording the marriage
of William de Wybergh and Elianor (Engayne)
38th Edward III, with achievement-of-arms, 18th-century. Panelling: In chancel—on S. wall, three
17th-century panels; on N. choir-stalls, small panel
with the initials and date I.B.D. 1683. Piscina: In
chancel—recess with chamfered jambs, pointed head,
foliage-stops and round drain, cut back, 13th-century,
re-set. Plate: includes a cup of 1709. Pulpit:
incorporated in modern framing, pilasters with
allegorical figures and cherub-heads, plain panels and
panels carved with the Adoration of the Magi, the
last perhaps 16th-century, the rest 17th-century.
Stoup: In nave—in S. wall, modern recess with round
bowl of uncertain date, re-set.
a(2). Clifton Hall (Plate 90), 150 yards N.W. of
the church, consists now only of a three-storeyed tower;
the rest of the house adjoined it on the S. but has been
demolished. The walls are of rubble and the roof
is slate-covered. The manor passed to the Wyberghs
in the 14th century, and one of that family presumably
built the existing tower late in the 15th or early in the
16th century. It seems probable that it formed the
semi-fortified tower-wing of a house of the mediæval
form common in the county and of which the hall
block and S. cross-wing have been destroyed. The
tower has an embattled parapet and an embattled
turret at the S.W. angle in which the staircase is carried
up to the roof. The S. wall shows the marks of the
roof and side walls of the former hall-block and on the
ground floor are three original doorways with chamfered jambs; one retains its four-centred head, but the
other two have later heads. In the W. wall, the
ground floor has a 16th-century window of four lights
and on the floor above is an original window with a
three-centred head and sunk spandrels; it has lost
its mullions. In the N. wall is a blocked original
doorway and there is another in the N.E. angle. The
windows on the E. side are modern. Inside the
building are some original chamfered and moulded
ceiling-beams. Each floor has an original fireplace
with a flat four-centred head, and the ground floor has
an early 18th-century fireplace with a moulded surround in addition. The top floor has some original
Incorporated in the walls of the modern farmhouse
is a stone carved with three blank shields and in the
N. wall is a Roman slab (Plate 3) with carved figures
and inscription. In the back wall of the Rectory
garage is a re-set 15th-century window of two trefoiled
lights with blank shields in the spandrels. It is said
to have come from the Hall.
Condition—Fairly good, structurally, but disused.
d(3). Bridge End Farm, house, 250 yards S.S.E.
of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably
in the second half of the 17th century and retains some
of its original stone-mullioned windows. Inside the
building are two early 18th-century fireplaces with
d(4). Bainbridge Gate, house, 1¼ m. S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble
and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably
c. 1709, the date on a stone in the E. wall, and retains
two original stone windows of four and five lights
respectively. The barn adjoining the house is probably of the 17th century and is of six bays with looplights.
b(5). Mound, 650 yards E. of the church, is of
roughly rectangular form with a flat top. It is about
30 yards by 25 yards and rises about 4 ft. above the
c(6). Megaliths (called Cromlech on the O.S.),
1,230 yards S. of the church, consist of two stones
about 9 ft. apart. The larger is about 6 ft. by 3 ft.
by 5¾ ft. high and the smaller 4 ft. by 2¾ ft. by 2¾ ft.
high. Neither appears to have been worked.