Dalton

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1936

Supporting documents

Page

93

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Dalton', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland (1936), pp. 93. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120749 Date accessed: 29 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

25 DALTON (D.h.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLVII, S.W., (b)L, N.E., (c)LI, N.W.)

Dalton is a parish on the S. border of the county 5 m. S.W. of Kirkby Lonsdale.

Secular

c(1). Dalton Old Hall, in the S.W. part of the parish, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built c. 1666 with a main block and a N. wing, and has small later additions. The N. chimney-stack has a cylindrical flue. The front doorway has a lintel with the jamb-chamfers carried up to form embattled sinkings on the face; above it are the initials and date R. and E.L. 1666. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams, and the staircase has turned balusters and square newels.

Condition—Good.

a(2). Henridding, house, ½ m. E.N.E. of (1), is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century and retains two original stone windows. Inside the building is an original fireplace with a corbelled head and cornice and also some panelled doors. The staircase has moulded strings and rails, and moulded balusters of unusual type.

Condition—Good.

b(3). Deerslack, barn, about 1 m. W. of (1), is of late 18th-century date but incorporates a 17th-century doorway with a shaped head cut on the face of the lintel.



<--Previous:
Crosthwaite and Lyth
Next:-->
Dillicar