35 HAVERBRACK (D.h.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLVI, N.E.)
Haverbrack is a small parish formerly part of
Beetham parish. The parish church of Beetham is
the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 97),
Beetham, stands in the S.E. corner of the parish. The
walls are of local limestone rubble with sandstone
dressings, and the roofs are lead-covered. The lower
part of the West Tower is perhaps of the 12th century and
is the earliest part of the existing structure. It appears
to have been planned in connection with a narrower
nave than that at present existing, and foundations of
an early wall were found in 1872 within the line of
the N. arcade. A S. aisle was added c. 1200 and
perhaps in the 13th century the Chancel was extended
to the E. The Beetham Chapel was added late in the
14th century. In the 15th century the church was
enlarged by the addition of the North Aisle, the widening of the South Aisle and the addition of the clearstorey. The top stage of the tower was added early
in the 16th century. The church was restored in
1873–4 when the South Porch was added.
Haverbrack, the Parish Church of St. Michael. Beetham
The church is of some architectural interest and
among the fittings the Beetham monument is noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41¼ ft. by
16½ ft.) has a modern five-light E. window. In the
N. wall are two bays of the main N. arcade of the
nave; farther E. is a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, now blocked and only visible in the
vestry. In the S. wall is a late 14th-century arcade
of two bays, with segmental-pointed arches of two
chamfered orders; the pier is octagonal with a moulded
capital; the responds are chamfered and have hollow-chamfered imposts. There is no structural chancel-arch.
The Nave (46¾ ft. by 16¼ ft.) has a 15th-century N.
arcade of five bays, two of which are in the chancel;
the two-centred arches are of two chamfered orders
and the octagonal piers have moulded capitals and
splayed bases, except the first, which has a double-chamfered capital; the chamfered responds have
hollow-chamfered imposts; the W. springers of the
second arch show evidence of an alteration during the
building. The late 12th-century S. arcade (Plate 98) is of
four bays with round arches of a single chamfered order;
the cylindrical columns have moulded capitals and
bases; the square E. respond has a scalloped capital
with a moulded abacus and the W. arch springs from
a corbel of the same type; the westernmost pier is
slighter than the others and has a different moulded
capital; both it and the W. arch were probably re-built
in the 13th century. The clearstorey of the chancel
and nave is of the 15th century, but the windows, five
on each side, are modern.
The North Aisle (14 ft. wide) is of the 15th century
but has the E. bay cut off by a modern wall to form a
vestry. The E. window is of three cinque-foiled lights
in a four-centred head with a moulded label. In the
N. wall are five windows similar to that in the E.
wall; the second window has been partly restored;
between the second and third windows is a doorway
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head; the
main N. doorway has chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed arch; one stone has a saltire-marking. In
the W. wall is a window similar to those in the N. wall;
on the outer face of the wall is a straight joint marking
the extent of the nave before the addition of the aisle.
The South Aisle including the Beetham Chapel (13½–14½
ft. wide) has a 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred
head with a moulded label. The S. wall has an
embattled parapet and contains six windows; the
easternmost and the third are each of c. 1400 and of
two trefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded
label; the 14th-century second window is of two
trefoiled ogee lights in a square head with a moulded
label; the other windows are of the 15th century and
uniform with those in the N. aisle; the S. doorway
of the chapel has chamfered jambs and flat lintel;
the re-set late 14th-century S. doorway has jambs and
two-centred head of two moulded orders. In the W.
wall is a late 14th-century window of two trefoiled
ogee lights in a square head with a moulded label.
The West Tower (8 ft. by 7½ ft.) is of three storeys,
of which the two lower are perhaps of the 12th century
and the bell-chamber is an early 16th-century addition.
The late 12th-century tower-arch is two-centred and
of one chamfered order; the responds are square
and have plain impost blocks. In the W. wall is a
late 14th-century doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label; above it is a window of the
same date and of two trefoiled ogee lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label.
The second storey has, on the E. wall, the marks of
the former steep-pitched roof of the nave and above
it a loop-light. The N. wall has a loop-light and
above it a blocked square-headed opening formerly
of two lights; the S. and W. walls have each two
loop-lights and the W. wall a square opening in
addition; the second storey is finished with a line of
corbelling, over which the bell-chamber projects
slightly. It is finished with an embattled parapet and
pinnacles and has in each wall an early 16th-century
window of three elliptical-headed lights in a square
head with a moulded label.
The Roof of the chancel and nave is of early 16th-century date, partly restored and of nine bays; it is
low-pitched with cambered and chamfered tie-beams;
the truss between the chancel and nave and the curved
braces and wall-posts are modern. The late 15th or
early 16th-century pent-roof of the N. aisle is of
twelve bays; the principal timbers in the five E. bays
are moulded, and in the vestry are two star-shaped
Fittings—Books: In vestry—a small library of
theological, historical and scientific works, given to
the church by William Hutton in 1705. Chest: In
vestry—of oak, panelled, with long drawer in lower
part of front, enriched top rail carved with the
initials and date T.H. 1689. Churchyard Cross: S.
of S. chapel—base only, mediæval. Communion Table:
with carved bulbous legs and carved top rail, late 16th-century, modern lower rails. Font-cover: of oak,
seven-sided and of two stages, the lower enclosing the
bowl, with spire-shaped capping, finials at angles and
ball-finial at top; both stages panelled and enriched
with conventional designs; on lower panels the date
Ano. Dom. 1636, also the date 1891 when the cover
was extensively restored. Glass: In Beetham Chapel
—in S.E. window, various portions of heraldic glass
including (a) fragment with three roundels, perhaps
not heraldic, and fragments; (b) panel made up of the
following coats: 1. lozengy a chief with a molet therein
(possibly two separate coats), 2. a cheveron between three
crosslets, 3. a cheveron between three covered cups, 4. a
cross paty; also upper part of figure of the Child
Christ and a panel with figure of a bearded king, all
late 15th or early 16th-century; in second S. window,
shield-of-arms of Stanley quartering Lathom and a
checky coat, the whole quartering the Isle of Man,
also four quarries with sun-burst design, late 15th-century. In W. tower—in W. window, a Crucifixion
and a Virgin and Child; below, figures of man in
cope and probably St. John, and, in tracery, two
mitred heads of a bishop and archbishop, also various
fragments, 15th-century. Monument: In chancel—
under S. arcade, altar-tomb and effigies (Plate 100)
of man and wife of the Beetham family, altar-tomb
with quatre-foiled panelled sides and W. end (Plate
46) enclosing shields-of-arms, etc., N. side, (a)
Beetham as in the Furness Abbey roll, (b) leopard's-head mask, (c) Thwayts, (d) blank, W. end, (e)
Harrington, (f) Beetham, (g) Tunstall, S. side,
(h) a cross raguly, (i) Musgrave, (j) Strickland or
Dacre, (k) Middleton; effigy of man in armour
with laminated skirt and hip-belt, head, legs and arms
missing; effigy of woman in long cloak, head and
hands missing; c. 1420. Piscinæ: In chancel—
rectangular recess with two round drains, mediæval.
In Beetham chapel—in S. wall, rectangular recess with
round drain, mediæval. Plate: includes a cup of
1692 with an inscription giving that date. Scratchings: On N. arcade of nave and on S. doorway, various
masons' marks. Seating: In N. aisle—bench with
panelled back with initials T.P., T.I. and I.C., one
shaped arm, 17th-century. Sundials: On E. jamb-stone of doorway of S. chapel—round dial with four
arms; on buttress, scratch-dial. Miscellanea: In vestry
—portion of small oak frame with entablature and
part of pediment, inscribed T. and M.B. 1624.
(2). Dallam Tower, house, etc., 1 m. N.N.W. of
the church. The House was entirely re-built by Daniel
Wilson in 1720–2, but contains some earlier woodwork
re-set. On the ground floor one of the W. rooms is
lined with 17th-century panelling including a small
cupboard door with the initials and date T.W.D. 1676.
In the dining-room is a cupboard (Plate 40) of the
local type, said to have come from Beetham Hall; the
fascia has the initials and date T. and B.M. 1694. In
a room on the first floor is a wooden fireplacesurround and overmantel (Plate 99), said to have come
from Nether Levens; it has gadrooned and bulbous
Ionic columns and an overmantel of three bays divided
and flanked by Ionic pilasters; the main panels have
cartouches, one bearing the arms of Preston, and on
cartouches above is the inscription "Ano. T.P.A. 1602"
referring to Thomas Preston. Incorporated with this
fireplace is rather later carved work of different
provenance. Another room is lined with 17th-century
panelling incorporating two panels with the initials
R. and E.C. and the date 1685.
At the entrance to the kitchen-garden, S. of the
house, is a gabled stone gateway, flanked by panelled
pilasters each with a baluster-shaped upper stage and
supporting the main entablature and pediment; in
the pediment are the initials and date E. and D.W.
1683, for Edward and Dorothy Wilson.
(3). Parsonage Farm, house and pigeon-house,
40 yards N. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the
roofs are slate-covered. A mediæval building, known
as the College, was pulled down in 1756 and the S.
part of the existing house appears to have been its N.
cross-wing. The N. block of the house was added
probably late in the 17th century. The S. wall retains
a mediæval doorway, with a two-centred head and
now blocked. On the E. front is a late 17th-century
attic-window with moulded frame and mullion; there
is also a chimney-stack of the same period with cylindrical shafts. Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. The drawing-room is lined with
17th-century panelling with enriched frieze-panels. In
the kitchen is a two-stage cupboard (Plate 34) of the
local type; it has enriched upper panels, pendants and
fascia with the initials and date S. and E.D. 1684. A
room on the first floor is lined with panelling of c.
1700 and has a fireplace and overmantel of the same
date. The staircase of c. 1700 has turned balusters and
square newels with ball-terminals. In a passage by the
kitchen is a panel with the initials and date R. and I.A.
The Pigeon House, S.W. of the house, is a square
stone structure, gabled towards the N. and S. It is
of late 16th or early 17th-century date. On the N.
wall is a panel with a defaced date and initials. The
front garden has a pair of late 17th-century gate-piers,
one retaining its ball-terminal.
(4). Haverbrack Cottage, house, nearly ¾ m. N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of
rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The N.E.
block of the house was built in the 17th century but
the rest of the structure is modern.
(5). Mound, in the park 350 yards S.E. of Dallam
Tower, is of irregular semi-circular form, about 33
yards across and rising about 5 ft. above the surrounding ground. It was probably the site of some mediæval
(6). Constructions near Wray Cottage, 1,200
yards S.W. of (2), are the remains of two stone galleries or chambers wholly or partly below the surface
of the ground. The first is about 180 yards N.N.W.
of the cottage, and about 6½ ft. of the covered gallery
survive. It is over 2 ft. wide and 2½ ft. high and is
built of dry-stone walling in a natural channel in the
rock; the covering is of large slabs and above the
cover-stones is 1-1½ ft. of loose stones and earth.
The construction was at least 20 ft. long but has
collapsed at both ends. The second structure stands
immediately behind the cottage. The W. end of the
gallery survives intact and is 2¼ ft. wide and 2½ ft.
high. At this point it is largely above ground-level
and is enclosed by dry walling 4½ ft. thick on the S.
side. The lintel of the entrance is some 6 ft. long
and the gallery opens into a circular kiln across which
the flue was carried. There seems no doubt that
this structure was a kiln, but the purpose of the other
gallery is uncertain.
Condition—Of first, bad; of second, fairly good.
(7). Cave, probably in origin a natural 'pot-hole'
and known locally as 'The Fairy Hole', is situated
on the S.W. slope of Haverbrack Bank nearly ¾ m.
W.S.W. of (2). It was partially explored in 1912 by
Dr. J.W. Jackson (C. and W. Trans., N.S. XIV, 262).
Its opening, which measures about 5 ft. by 3 ft., is at
the ground-level and partly masked by two heavy
limestone covers. The shaft below was filled with
clay and limestone blocks to within 3 ft. of the surface
and has a diameter of about 3 ft. at the top. Excavation showed that the E. wall opened out to give a
maximum width of 12 ft. Practical difficulties brought
the excavation to an end at a depth of 17 ft., the bottom
not being reached. The upper deposit yielded one
potsherd said to be of 16th-century date, and lower
down were bones of various animals: horse, sheep,
goat, pig, dog and wolf. Bones of dog (50 individuals) and pig were most numerous and there were
remains of five wolves.