Hillbeck

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1936

Supporting documents

Page

112

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hillbeck', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland (1936), pp. 112. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120762 Date accessed: 31 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

38 HILLBECK (G.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. XVI, S.E.)

Hillbeck is a parish adjoining Brough on the N.

Secular

(1). Thornthwaite, house, on the E. side of the parish 1 m. N.E. of Hillbeck hamlet, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has been extensively altered but has a 16th-century or earlier doorway, with chamfered jambs and ogee head; it has been, perhaps, re-set.

Condition—Good.

Unclassified

(2). Lynchets, in a field, on a W. slope, 370 yards E. of Bullistone Bridge, consist of seven terraces, averaging 18 yards wide and about 100 to 130 yards long. The average drop between each terrace is 2½ ft.

Condition—Fairly good.



<--Previous:
Heversham
Next:-->
Hincaster