(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlvii. N.E. (b)xlviii. N.W. (c)xlviii.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Mary and All
Saints, stands in the middle of the village.
The walls are faced with modern flint, and the
limestone dressings are also modern; there are
a few old quoins of Totternhoe stone in the
corner turrets, etc., of the tower. The roofs
of the chancel and chapels are covered with
slate and those of the nave and aisles with
lead. The church appears to have been entirely
of c. 1470, but in the 19th century the Chancel,
North and South Chapels, and North and South
Porches were re-built, the Nave was lengthened
towards the E., and the West Tower and the
North and South Aisles were restored.
Edmund Burke is buried in the church, and
Edmund Waller (the poet) in the churchyard.
The 15th-century altar tomb in the chancel and
the 17th-century iron chest in the N. aisle are
unusually fine examples of their kind.
Architectural Description—The Chancel,
including the chancel arch, the arch opening
into the N. chapel and the two arches into the
S. chapel, is modern. The North Chapel retains
no old detail and the South Chapel only an
original piscina (see Fittings). The Nave
(61 ft. by 21 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of five
bays with pointed arches of two chamfered
orders, octagonal pillars and moulded capitals;
on both sides the three bays from the W. are
original, except, in the third bay, the E. pillar
and part of the arch, which are modern;
the two eastern bays and all the bases and
labels are also modern. The clearstorey is
modern. The North Aisle (12½ ft. wide) has
modern windows and doorway. The South
Aisle (13 ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, four
windows of two lights with old inner jambs and
rear arches; the S. doorway is modern. The
W. window, of four lights, retains inside a few
old stones. The West Tower (14½ ft. by 13 ft.)
is of three stages with a S.W. octagonal stair-turret and smaller octagonal turrets at the
other angles, all with modern pinnacles; the
embattled parapet is also modern. The tower
arch is original, two-centred, and of four hollow
chamfered orders, with half octagonal responds,
moulded capitals and bases. An original doorway with a four-centred head opens into the
stair-turret. The W. doorway is modern, and
the W. window of four lights retains only a few
original stones inside. The four windows of
the bell-chamber, each of two lights with
tracery, have been much restored. The North
and South Porches are modern.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses:
In the nave—(1) of John Warren, 1609, Elizabeth, his wife, four sons and two daughters,
with inscription. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (2)
to Robart Lee, 1572, and Katherine, his wife,
inscription and verse. Indents (see Monuments). Chairs: in the chancel, two, of oak,
upholstered with crimson velvet, one dated
1663, the other about same period. Chest (see
Plate, p. 136): in N. aisle, of iron, with cross
bands and three locks; on front, between the
bands, small painted landscapes, probably
17th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In chancel—on N. side, (1) in
recess, altar tomb of Purbeck marble (see
Plate, p. xxiv.), front of base richly carved and
panelled, with four shields containing indents,
edge of covering slab and plinth moulded, in
slab indent of small shield, recess flanked by
two round columns with moulded capitals and
bases, supporting flat four-centred arch under
square panelled head with moulded and embattled cornice, recess lined with Purbeck
marble, at each side quatre-foiled panel similar
to those on tomb, in back, indents of a man
in armour and a woman with butterfly head-dress, kneeling figures, four sons and apparently four daughters, above them indent of
the Trinity or Virgin and Child, at each corner indent of shield, late 15th-century; in
western arch between chancel and S. chapel,
(2) altar tomb of clunch, in covering slab,
indents of a man in armour and a woman in
pediment head-dress, three sons and two
daughters; in quatre-foiled panels on S. side,
carved shields, first a hart's head with an
arrow through his nostrils and a cross formy
fitchy between the horns, for Bulstrode, quartering a cheveron between three squirrels, with a
crescent for difference for Goostrey, second
shield ermine a bend with three right hands cut
off at the wrist thereon for Mayn, at W. end
shield with the first coat impaling the second,
early 16th-century. In S. aisle—on S. wall,
(3) tablet, grey marble, to Robert Thorpe, 1623,
inscription and arms. In churchyard—(4) tomb,
marble and stone, of Edmund Waller (the poet),
1687, and Maria, his wife, 1700; (5) tomb of
Ann, widow of Sir Frederick Hyde, 1687.
Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) to Thomas
Waller, 1627, and his wife Dorothy, 1626, incised figure of a woman and marginal inscription visible; (2) said to be to Lucy, wife of
Edmund Waller, 1686, names covered. In N.
aisle—(3) to Edmund Waller (cousin of the
poet), 1667, with arms. Piscina: in S. chapel,
with trefoiled head, 15th-century, re-set.
Screens: between chancel and S. chapel, of four
bays, easternmost forming doorway, with
tracery and carved cornice, 15th-century, cornice partly modern: between nave and tower,
similar to chancel screen, also restored, and
with some 17th-century incised woodwork at
back of cornice. Miscellanea: consecration
cross—built into W. wall of tower, outside,
square stone having circular sunk panel with,
a cross paty in relief, much defaced.
The village contains, in addition to those
noted below, many buildings probably of the
16th or 17th century, now much altered and
retaining few traces of original work.
c(2). Hall Barn, stands in a large park about
½ mile S. of the church. It is a three-storeyed
building with an attic; the walls are of red
and black bricks, with stone dressings; the
roofs are covered with slate. The earliest part
of the present house appears to have been built
c. 1675, and consists of a rectangular block
facing N. At the beginning of the 18th century a wing was added on the S. side, extending
towards the E., and apparently offices were built
on the W. side. In 1883 an addition was built
in the N.E. angle between the 17th and 18th-century blocks, and other alterations were made.
N. Elevation:—The ground floor, with the
portico, is of modern stone; the upper storeys
are divided into four bays by shallow double
pilasters, of the Corinthian order; the pilasters
are of stone, with a filling of rubbed red brick
between each pair; the rest of the walling is of
darker red brick, with black headers in
Flemish bond. The pilasters, stone string
courses between the storeys and a heavy
cornice with modillions, are probably 18th-century additions to an original plain front.
The attic is lighted by dormer windows.
W. Elevation:—The lower part of the original
block is covered by modern offices; the upper
storeys are of red and black brick as on the N.
front, but the string-courses are of brick. The
S. and E. Elevations are of the 18th century and
modern. The interior retains no 17th-century
In the grounds there are three fine yew
hedges, probably of the 17th century.
c(3). Woodwork, Stable and a Wall at the
Rectory, 100 yards N.W. of the church. The
house is an 18th-century building, but contains the following 16th and 17th-centurywoodwork: One room has panelling of two dates in
the 17th century, and a fluted frieze; another
room has similar panelling and a 17th-century
overmantel, richly carved and supported on
Ionic pilasters; in a third room there is 16th-century linenfold panelling, but the framing
may be of later date; the frieze is formed of
longer panels laid horizontally, and the overmantel is made up of 17th-century panels with
strap-work ornament, etc.
The Stable, E. of the house, is a 16th-century
building of two storeys, much restored. On the
E. side the lower storey is faced with modern
brick; the upper storey, of original timber and
brick, projects, except in the middle, where
two long curved brackets support the eaves.
The N. end is of timber and brick; the W. side
and S. end are almost entirely modern. The
roof is tiled. On the E. side is an original
doorway with a moulded frame. The E. Wall
of the garden is of 16th and 17th-century brick;
it contains several small niches with four-centred heads, some blocked.
c(4). The Old Rectory, on the W. side of the
churchyard, is a two-storeyed house of timber,
brick and plaster; the roofs are tiled. It is
said to be on the site of a cell of Burnham
Abbey, and was built in the first half of the
16th century. In 1901 it was restored, and
as far as possible to its original condition,
and is now used for parochial purposes. The
building forms three sides of a courtyard, the
fourth being enclosed by a wall; in the W.
or main block is the hall, with a room at
the S. end; the wings project towards the E.,
and each contain two rooms; a passage at the
W. end of the N. wing leads to a small staircase
The original stone fireplaces and oak doorways are worthy of note.
E. Elevation—The lower storey of each
wing is built of thin red bricks with a diamond pattern in blue bricks; the overhanging
upper storey, built of timber and plaster, is
gabled, and has a modern oriel window. The
wall across the courtyard is of similar brickwork to that of the wings, and contains an
entrance doorway of modern stone. N. and W.
Elevations:—The lower storey is built of brick
and the upper storey of timber and plaster, all
much restored, especially on the W. The N.
end of the main block and the staircase wing
are gabled. S. Elevation—The end of the main
block, built entirely of brick, projects and is
gabled; the lower storey of the wing is also of
brick, and the upper storey of timber and
plaster. Courtyard Elevations—The walls are
of timber-framing, much of it modern, with
plaster filling. The chimney stacks have square
shafts, and are of 16th-century brick.
Interior:—The hall has an original stone fireplace with moulded jambs and a flat four-centred head, all re-tooled; the spandrels are
carved with vine ornament and shields, one
bearing the arms of Rawson, but incomplete,
the other the Rawson crest. In the W. wall,
near the S. end, are two niches with pointed
heads; the doorway in the S. wall has a solid
oak frame and a four-centred head with sunk
spandrels; the hall also contains two 17th-century oak chests; one has carved framework
and inlaid panels; the other, of later
date, has moulded framework and plain
panels. In the N. wing, on the ground
floor, the western room has a fireplace
and doorway similar to those in the hall,
but the fireplace has been less restored; two
sides of the room have 17th-century oak
panelling; one side is of later date than the
other, and has carved bolection mouldings;
both rooms on the first floor have fireplaces
resembling those on the ground floor, that in
the eastern room, and two posts in the N. wall
of the same room showing traces of original
colour; the western room has an open timber roof
and an original doorway with a four-centred
head and sunk spandrels; another room has a
similar doorway. The N. staircase has been
restored, but the octagonal central newel and
the handrail against the wall are original.
The lower part of the wall between the garden,
on the N. side of the house, and the churchyard is built of 16th-century brick, and the
upper part of 17th-century brick.
Beaconsfield, Plan Shewing Positions of Monuments
c(5). House, now a Bank and dwelling-house, at the N.E. corner of the churchyard,
is a rectangular two-storeyed building of the
16th century, altered and restored in the 19th
century. The walls are timber-framed with
modern brick filling; the roof is tiled. The
projecting upper storey is supported on curved
brackets. Inside the house are old ceiling-beams.
London Road, S. side, from W. to E.
c(6). The Royal Saracen's Head, a two-storeyed house, was built probably in the 17th
century, but retains only some old timbers in
the ceiling of the covered passage which opens
into the yard.
Condition—Good, completely restored.
c(7). House, now two dwellings, is of two
storeys, built late in the 17th century. The
front is of red and blue bricks, and the other
walls are of plain brick; the roof is tiled. The
central chimney stack, with square shafts, is
c (8). House, now divided into two dwellings
(Burke House and Burke Lodge), about 500 ft.
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys. The
walls are of brick; the roofs are tiled. It was
originally an inn, built late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century, but much restored and
altered in the 18th and 19th centuries. The
plan is of half-H shape, with the wings projecting towards the S. In front the wall has been
re-faced and five bay windows have been added;
a gateway which formerly opened into the yard
behind the house has some old brick and timber
in the side walls; at the back the walls are
of 18th-century and modern brick. Two chimney stacks are built of thin bricks; one has
four square shafts, the other a single shaft.
Inside the house there are some old ceiling
beams and a little early 17th-century panelling; some panelled doors with moulded frames
may be of the 17th century.
c(9). Houses, now shops, form a row of small
two-storeyed buildings of early 17th-century
date, much restored. The front is covered with
plaster. The E. end is partly of old timber-framing with brick filling, and partly of 17th-century brick. At the W. end a covered passage
has old timbers in the ceiling. The roofs are
c(10). Cottages, two, forming an L-shaped
block, are of two storeys, built of brick and
timber in the 17th century, now much restored.
In front only the upper storey of the western
cottage is original; a few old timbers remain
at the back. The eastern cottage has an original
c(11). Cottages, three, adjoining, are each
of two storeys, built of brick and timber late
in the 16th century, now much restored. The
roof is tiled. In front the lower storey is of
modern brick and the upper storey has modern
brick filling; at the E. end the entrance to a
covered passage has a four-centred wooden head
with a chamfered edge, partly blocked. The
square central chimney stack is built of thin
bricks. The rooms have old timbers in the walls
c(12). Cottages, three, form a T-shaped
block, of two storeys, built of brick in the 17th
century and re-fronted with modern brick.
The roofs are tiled.
c(13). The Old Swan Inn, is of two storeys,
built late in the 16th century, now much
restored and altered. In front the lower storey
is of modern brick; the gabled upper storey
retains old timber-framing with filling of thin
bricks. The roof is tiled. The original central
chimney stack has been restored at the top.
N. side, from E. to W.
c(14). House, formerly an inn, now three
dwellings, is of two storeys, and almost encloses a courtyard. It was built possibly in the
16th century, enlarged and restored in the 17th
century, and re-fronted with brick in the 18th
century; the other walls are of 17th-century
brick, except those of the W. wing, which have
a modern base, the upper part being of 17th-century timber and brick. The roofs are tiled.
A passage which leads from the front to the
courtyard has old timbers in the walls, with
large beams and joists in part of the ceiling.
Inside the house there are also old ceiling-beams.
Condition—Of front and sides, good; of back,
c(15). House, formerly an inn, now two
dwellings, one known as Essex House, was
built possibly in the 16th century, but
altered and enlarged at various later dates. The
walls are chiefly of brick; the roofs are tiled.
The plan consists of an L-shaped block (Essex
House) with a covered passage at the E. end,
dividing it from a square block, which forms
the second dwelling. The S. front was re-faced
early in the 18th century, but the side walls of
the passage are of old timber and brick. At
the back Essex House has a modern addition,
with a little original timber-framing above it;
the N. wing is of 17th-century brick, restored
with modern brick. The back of the second
dwelling is entirely modern. The chimney
stacks are built of 17th-century brick. Some
of the rooms have old ceiling-beams.
c(16–17). Houses, two, now shops, are of two
storeys, built originally late in the 16th century, and now re-fronted, covered with plaster
and almost entirely modern. The first house
has 18th-century shop windows; the moulded
base of a large original chimney stack remains. Inside the shop is a wide fireplace
with restored jambs and arch; detached posts
support the ceiling-beams, and on the walls
there is panelling of 17th-century design, in
pitch pine. The second house retains only an
original chimney stack, which has three octagonal shafts with moulded bases; the tops are
Shepherds Lane, N. side
c(18). The White Hart Inn, at the corner of
the lane and the Market place, is a two-storeyed
house, built probably late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century, but entirely re-faced with
modern brick and timber. The roofs are tiled.
The plan is L-shaped. One original chimney
stack remains, and has grouped shafts on a
large base with a moulded top.
Condition—Good, much altered.
c(19). Cottages, eight, forming an L-shaped
block, are of late 17th-century date, and of two
storeys, built of timber and brick. The roofs
are tiled. The chimney stacks are original.
c(20). Cottages and Stables, near the W. end
of the lane, were built early in the 17th century. The lower storeys are of thin bricks, the
upper storeys timber-framed with brick filling.
The roofs are tiled. One of the stables has a
panelled door of late 17th-century date. Inside
the buildings the walls and ceilings have old
Aylesbury Street, W. side
The following buildings (21–23) are all probably of early 17th-century date, and of two
storeys; the roofs are tiled.
c(21). Cottage, formerly the Old Elm Tree
Inn, near the S. end of the street, has, in front,
a low modern addition, above which the original wall has been re-faced with modern brick.
The gabled ends are of original timber and
brick. The plain rectangular chimney stack is
built of 17th-century brick. The ceilings have
old stop-chamfered beams.
c(22). House, now four cottages, at the corner
of an alley, is of L-shaped plan, with the wings
extending towards the S. and W. On the street
front the lower storey has been re-faced with
modern brick, and the timber-framing of the
upper storey covered with boards; the brick
filling is modern. The W. end is of modern
brick; on the N. front the timber-framing is
original, with modern brick filling. The chimney stack at the S. end, built of 17th-century
thin bricks, has oversailing courses. Inside
the house are chamfered beams in the ceilings,
wind-braced roof timbers, and an old fireplace,
with the chimney-corners enclosed in cupboards.
c(23). House, now four tenements, stands
near the N. end of the street. The timber-framing of the front and gabled ends is covered
with modern boards, and the brick filling is
also modern; at the S. end of the front the
upper storey projects, and is gabled. The plan
is rectangular, with a central chimney stack
built of 17th-century thin bricks. In the
ceilings there are plain oak beams, now almost
enclosed by plaster.
Wycombe End, N. side, from E. to W.
c(24). The George Hotel, is of two storeys
and an attic, built at the end of the 16th
or beginning of the 17th century, timber-framed with brick nogging, and re-fronted
with brick in the 19th century. The plan is L-shaped, the wings extending towards the N. and
E., with the staircase in the angle between
them; a late 17th-century addition at the N.
end is built of red brick with black headers, and
has a coved cornice. The roofs are tiled. A
large covered gateway opens from the S. front
to the yard at the back. The central chimney
stack and another stack on the W. side are built
of thin bricks. In the older part of the house
all the rooms have original ceiling-beams with
stop-chamfered edges, and the kitchen has a
wide fireplace with chimney-corner seats and an
oak lintel. On the first floor are two old
battened doors of oak, one with the original
strap-hinges. The oak staircase, with a central
octagonal newel, is original, except the lowest
c(25). House, now three cottages, two being
shops, is of two storeys and an attic; the walls
are partly of brick, partly timber-framed with
brick filling; the roofs are tiled. It was built
probably in the 16th century on a T-shaped
plan, with the middle wing extending towards
the N., but late in the 18th or early in the 19th
century the space on the N.W. between the
wings was enclosed. In the 19th century the
S. front was re-faced, and the overhanging
upper storey under-built. At the back, towards
the E. end, are two small brick gables, apparently original, and, on the first floor, original
windows with oak mullioned frames and leaded
lights; the 16th-century middle wing has
original brick and timber in the E. wall and
in the foot of the gable at the N. end, the head
being of modern lath and plaster. At the E.
end is a chimney stack with oversailing courses
at the top, built of 16th or 17th-century thin
bricks. Interior:—Two rooms have wide fireplaces, partly blocked, but one retains the
original chimney-corner seats; the front room
of the middle cottage is lined with early 17th-century panelling, said to have been brought
from the parish church. The ceiling-beams
show the line of the former projection of the
upper storey, and those in the westernmost cottage are moulded, a post which supports one of
the beams having similar moulding; the position of the joists indicates that on the ground
floor the westernmost and middle cottages
originally formed one long room.
Condition—In front, good; at the back, poor.
c(26). Cottages, two, standing in an alley at
the back of a coachbuilder's shop in the High
Street, and facing W., are said to have been
formerly a barn which belonged to a farmhouse
on the site of the shop. They consist of a
rectangular block, of two storeys, gabled at the
N. end, and built in the 17th century; the walls
are of original timber-framing with brick
filling of later date. The roof is tiled.
c (27). House, now three tenements, is a rectangular two-storeyed building of late 16th-century date, but re-fronted with brick and
considerably altered in the 19th century. The
gabled E. end retains much of the original
timber-framing and brick filling. The roof is
tiled. Inside the house there are old ceiling-beams.
c(28). House, at the W. end of the street, is
of two storeys. The plan is L-shaped with the
wings extending towards the N. and W.
The wing facing the street appears to be
of two dates; the E. half was built probably
early in the 17th century, but has been refronted with modern brick; a small part of the
original E. wall projects beyond the adjoining
building, and is of timber, now plastered, and
brick; the W. half is of mid 17th-century brick
with a moulded plinth on the street front. The
N. wing is apparently of later date than the
rest of the house, and is of flint with modern
brick dressings. All the foundations are of
flint; the roofs are tiled. On the E. is a chimney stack built of thin bricks, probably of early
17th-century date; the large fireplace under it
is now partly blocked, and the chimney-corner
seats are enclosed in cupboards. In the ceilings
are old beams.
S. side, from W. to E.
c(29). House, now two cottages, is of two
storeys, built early in the 17th century, and
timber-framed; the brick filling is of various
later dates, and the timbers are now painted.
The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped,
the wings projecting towards the S. and E.
The front wing is said to have extended originally further towards the E., and a similar
extension at the W. end is indicated by the
appearance of the W. wall, part of it being of
modern brick under a gable of old timber and
brick. In the two rooms on the ground floor
the large fireplaces, partly blocked, have oak
lintels, and there are old ceiling-beams with
Condition—Poor; the timbers in the W.
gable lean outwards at a dangerous angle.
c(30). House, now two dwellings, is of two
storeys and an attic. It was built early in the
17th century, of brick and timber. The roofs
are tiled. The plan is of half-H shape, with
the wings extending towards the S. The N.
front has been re-faced with modern brick, and
has, at the E. end, a modern addition, used as a
shop. On the E. side of the house the timber-framing is covered with plaster, and the upper
storey and attic have original windows with oak
frames and rectangular leaded lights. The
central chimney stack and a stack in the W.
wing are built of original thin bricks.
Windsor End, E. side
c(31). The Greyhound Inn, is of two storeys,
built probably early in the 17th century. The
walls are timber-framed and covered with
plaster; the roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped, with a modern extension at the E.
end. A large covered gateway opens into the
yard at the back, and there is a central chimney
stack, built of thin bricks. The ceilings have
original stop-chamfered beams.
c (32). House and a range of four Cottages,
opposite the Greyhound Inn, are probably of
the 17th century and originally may have
formed one building. The House has a gabled
front of modern timber-framing, with a filling
of old thin bricks, re-set in various patterns.
On the N. side is a chimney stack built of
old thin bricks. The Cottages are covered with
plaster on the street front, which has two gables
at the N. end; there are old timbers in one of
the gables and also at the N. end of the back
of the range.
c(33). Hyde Farm, about 1 mile S.E. of
the church, is a two-storeyed house of brick and
timber; the roofs are tiled. It appears to have
consisted originally of a rectangular block, built
early in the 17th century, with a central chimney stack and, on the W. side, a small staircase
wing; later in the same century a wing was
added at the N. end, projecting towards the E.;
in the 19th century the house was restored, and
additions were built on the W. side, N. and S.
of the staircase wing. The S. front has been refaced with modern brick. The E. side of the
main block is of original timber and brick;
the N. and E. walls of the N. wing are of
modern brick, but at the E. end is a large
chimney stack built of late 17th-century brick,
with round-headed panels in the sides of the
shaft; the stack formerly projected, as shown
by the S. wall of the wing, which is partly of
old timber; the W. wall of the wing is of late
17th-century timber and brick. The staircase
wing, and the wall above the low modern
addition N. of it, are of original timber and
brick, the wing being gabled. The central
chimney stack of the main block is of early
17th-century date, and the fireplace retains the
original chimney-corner seat, now enclosed in
a cupboard. The ceilings have old stop-chamfered beams.
a(34). Gregories Farm, about ¾ mile N.W. of
the church, is a two-storeyed house, built of brick
in the 17th century, but much restored and
altered. The roofs are tiled. The plan is L-shaped, with the wings extending towards the
E. and S.; in the angle between the wings is a
small projection with three gables, one of them
hipped. The walls are covered almost entirely
with cement, but the original brick is visible at
the N. end of the longer wing, and the N. wall of
the shorter wing is of modern brick. Three
chimney stacks are of 17th-century brick; the
others are modern or restored. One room has
early 17th-century panelling and two wide fireplaces remain, one now filled in.
A barn S.W. of the house has old thin bricks
in the walls.
(35). Sealey's Farm, about 1 mile N.W. of
the church, is a two-storeyed house, of brick
and timber; the roofs are tiled. It was built in
the second half of the 16th century, but considerably altered and repaired in the 17th and
The dated panelling in two rooms is of
The plan is H-shaped, with the hall and one
room in the main block, and two rooms in each
of the wings. The S. front, except the E. wing,
was re-faced c. 1690 with red and blue
bricks, and between the two storeys is a projecting string-course; the W. wing is gabled;
the E. wing is gabled at both ends, and is lower
than the front part of the rest of the house; it
is built of 16th-century brick on a moulded,
much damaged plinth; on the S. front it has a
string-course between the two storeys, and, on
the ground floor, a small blocked window, with
chamfered brick jambs and head; on the E.
side the wall has been restored, and there
are also blocked windows; at the back
the E. half of the main block is only of one
storey, built of 16th-century brick; the W.
half and the W. wing are gabled, and timber-framed with filling, partly of lath and plaster,
partly of brick. The W. side is of 17th-century brick, except a projecting chimney stack
with two attached shafts, built of 16th-century
Interior:—The room on the E. side of the
hall has oak panelling with moulded styles, and
moulded and chamfered rails; in each panel of
the frieze is an inlaid lozenge device; that over
the fireplace contains the date 1572, and below
it are the initials GPBM in a frame, all inlaid; one
of the doors is of similar panelling, and has
original ornamental hinges; in the N.E. corner
of the room a small alcove has fluted pilasters
with moulded capitals and bases, a semi-circular arch and a moulded cornice; it is probably of late 17th-century date; round the fireplace is a large moulding of wood of the same
date, and the ceiling has chamfered beams.
One room on each floor of the W. wing has late
17th-century panelling; in the upper room the
panels have bolection mouldings, and there are
two pictorial panels, that over the fireplace
being dated 1693. The staircase is probably of
late 17th-century date, and has square newels,
moulded handrail and turned balusters.
A small square outbuilding near the W. end
of the house and parts of the walling of the
barns on the N. are timber-framed with brick
filling, and are probably of the 17th century.
b (36). The Mount, a tumulus in Wilton
Park, about 7/8 mile N.E. of the church.