(O.S. 6 in. xxxii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, stands
at the S. end of the village, and is built of
coursed rubble, with wide joints, except the
chancel, which is of small rough rubble, and
the S. porch, which is of modern brick; the
dressings are of stone. The roofs are tiled. The
Nave is of late 13th or early 14th-century date;
the West Tower was added in the first half of
the 15th century, and at the end of the same
century the Chancel appears to have been re-built, in a rougher style, probably by unskilled
local masons; it was probably widened towards
the N. at the same time, the centre line being
2 ft. 6 in. N. of the centre line of the nave.
The North Vestry and South Porch are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(20½ ft. by 14 ft.) has a modern E. window, of
three lights. In the N. wall are two windows
of late 15th-century date, each of two cinque-foiled pointed lights under a square head with
sunk spandrels and an external label; the foils
are crudely shaped and do not fit well into the
arches: the western window is now blocked and
visible only in the vestry; a doorway, now
opening into the vestry, is probably of c. 1300,
re-set, and has moulded jambs and two-centred
head. In the S. wall are two windows, each of
two septfoiled lights under a square head, similar to those in the N. wall and of the same date:
between the windows is a doorway of c. 1300,
re-set; it has moulded jambs and pointed head,
with a re-used label. The chancel arch is of late
13th or early 14th-century date, probably contemporary with the nave, but re-set; the jambs
and two-centred arch are of two chamfered
orders; the S. jamb is flush with the S. wall
of the chancel; the arch is not central with
either the chancel or the nave. The Nave (44½ ft.
by 18½ ft.) has three windows in the N. wall;
the easternmost is a lancet, probably of c. 1300;
the second was inserted in the 15th century,
and is of three cinque-foiled lights under a
square head; the third window is modern; the
N. doorway, between the first two windows, is
probably of c. 1300, and has moulded jambs and
pointed head, with a plain label; the doorway
is now partly blocked, and used as a window.
In the S. wall are four windows; the easternmost of two plain round-headed lights under a
square head, with a plain external label, and an
internal lintel of wood; it was inserted probably
late in the 16th or early in the 17th century,
to light the pulpit: the second window, of late
15th-century date, is of three cinque-foiled
lights, the westernmost light being round-headed and apparently of clunch; the main
head is square, with pierced spandrels: the
third window is a lancet, similar to that in
the N. wall, and the fourth is modern: the S.
doorway is of similar detail to the N. doorway, and also of c. 1300; the external label
has head-stops. The West Tower (12 ft. by
11 ft.) is of two stages, with a moulded string-course and embattled parapet; the S.E. stair-turret is of five stages, carried above the parapet
of the tower, and has a pyramidal roof. The
two-centred tower arch, probably of late 15th-century date, is of two chamfered orders, with
square jambs. In the S. wall is a 15th-century
doorway with a four-centred arch opening into
the stair-turret. The W. window is also of the
15th century, and of two cinque-foiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The
upper storey of the lower stage has plain loop
lights under the dividing string-course. The
bell-chamber has on each side an original window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil
in a two-centred head. On the E. face is visible
the weather course of the former high-pitched
roof of the nave. The stair-turret is lighted by
four loops. The South Porch is modern. The
Roof of the chancel is of late 15th-century date,
and of two bays with three trusses; the easternmost has an arched tie-beam, and the principal
rafters of the westernmost have struts; the central truss is similar to the others, but the tie-beam is modern; the purlins have braces at
the E. and W. ends. The roof of the nave
is probably of the 14th century, re-modelled
late in the 15th or early in the 16th century;
it is of four bays with five trusses, no two
being exactly alike; the easternmost truss has
a cambered tie-beam with curved braces below,
and struts above it; the second truss is modern,
or re-worked; the third and fifth trusses have
foiled struts, apparently part of complete
quatrefoils, now hidden by the plaster ceiling;
and the fourth truss has no tie, but a braced
collar-beam; the cornices are moulded, and the
wall-posts rest on wood corbels, some of which
are almost entirely defaced.
Fittings—Bells: three, and a sanctus, 1st
inscribed 'Sancte Paule Ora Pro Nobis W. H.'
(by William Hasylwood), 1499–1509, 3rd, 1616,
by Henry Knight. Brackets: W. of N.E. window of nave, of moulded wood, projecting peg
on E. side, holes for others in front and on
W. side, probably 15th-century. Brass: in
the chancel, of John Frankeleyn, and Margaret,
his wife, small figures, man in civilian dress,
three sons, four daughters, head of one daughter missing, inscription, in black letter, 'Her'
lyth John Frankeleyn and Margarete hys wyff
which ordeyned leystowe to this chirche
and divine to be doone every holy day in the
yer. Ao Moccccolxiio'. Font: cup-shaped
bowl, with fluted scallops, band of stiff foliage
at the top, rim cable-moulded, early 13th-century, octagonal stem and moulded base, probably 15th-century. Glass: in head of W. window of tower, two fragments, 15th-century.
Painting: on the stonework W. of S. door,
traces of old red paint. Piscina: in chancel, with
cinque-foiled ogee head, sexfoil basin, probably
late 14th-century, covered with plaster. Plate:
includes a cup of 1569. Miscellanea: in E.
jamb of S.E. window of nave under wood lintel,
small head-corbel, of stone, evidently not in
situ: in the churchyard, opposite the S. door,
part of churchyard cross, octagonal stem, with
broach stops, octagonal chamfered base.
(2). Homestead Moat, S.E. of the church,
deep and wide, with an inner rampart; only
(3). House, 100 yards N.E. of the church, is
of two storeys, built of brick and timber in the
17th century, but much altered; the roofs are
tiled. The original plan was rectangular, but
it has been enlarged. On the first floor is a
wide fireplace with a flat head decorated with
an arabesque design.
Condition—Good; much altered.
(4). Cottage, now two tenements, about 250
yards N.W. of the church, is of one storey and
an attic, built in the 17th century. The walls
are partly of timber and brick, partly covered
with plaster; the roof is thatched. The plan
is L-shaped. Some of the ceilings have old
beams, and in one room is a large open fireplace.
(5). House, W. of (3), is of two storeys, built
in the 17th century, and timber-framed, with
brick filling, partly in herringbone pattern; the
roof is tiled. The building originally extended
further towards the W., and a bricked-in fireplace is visible externally in the W. wall. One
old chimney stack remains; under it is a large
open fireplace, and the rooms on the ground
floor have chamfered beams in the ceilings.
(6). The Bell Inn, 400 yards N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, built in the 17th century. The walls are covered with plaster; the
roof is thatched. The plan is L-shaped, and
at the W. end is an old chimney stack. Inside
the house is an open fireplace, and some of the
ceilings have chamfered beams.
(7). House, opposite (5), is of two storeys,
built of timber and brick in the 17th century;
the roof is tiled. The plan, originally rectangular, facing S., is now L-shaped, an extension having been added at the back.
(8). Cherry Orchard, about 230 yards N.W.
of the church, is an early 17th-century house of
two storeys. The plan is L-shaped, with the
main wing projecting towards the W., and the
short wing towards the N. The walls of the
main wing have been re-faced with red and blue
bricks; the short wing is timber-framed, with
brick filling, and has a small projecting window. The roof is tiled. Inside the house one
room has a large moulded beam in the ceiling;
other ceilings have chamfered beams, and there
is a large open fireplace, partly blocked.
(9–10). Cottages, two, on opposite sides of
the road, about 250 yards N.W. of the church,
are each of two storeys, the upper storey partly
in the roof. They were built probably early in
the 17th century, and are timber-framed, with
brick filling; the roofs are thatched. The cottage on the W. side of the road ('The
Rosaries') has stone foundations, and is partly
covered with plaster; some of the windows are
old. The plan of the other cottage was originally
rectangular, but modern additions have made
it L-shaped. Both cottages have old chimney
stacks and large open fireplaces, partly blocked.
(11). Cottage, 500 yards N.W. of the church,
is of two storeys, built late in the 17th century,
of timber and brick, partly covered with plaster; the roof is tiled. The chimney stack is of
old thin bricks.
(12). Cottages, two, 100 yards S.E. of (11),
are of two storeys, built in the 17th century.
The walls are covered with plaster and modern
rough-cast; the roofs are thatched.
Condition—Of both, fairly good.
(13). Cottage, opposite the School, was built
in the 17th century. It is of two storeys, the
upper storey partly in the roof. The walls are
on stone foundations and covered with plaster;
a little timber-framing shows in one gable. The
roof is thatched. The central chimney stack is
of old thin bricks.
(14). Cottage, S.E. of (13), on the opposite
side of the road, is of two storeys, built in the
17th century. The walls are timber-framed,
with brick filling, set partly in basket pattern.
The roof is covered with slate.
(15). Cottage, about 200 ft. S.E. of (14), is
an early 17th-century building of two storeys,
the upper storey partly in the roof. The walls
are timber-framed, with brick filling, and
partly covered with plaster; the roof is thatched.
One of the chimney stacks is old, and under it
is a wide open fireplace.