(O.S. 6 in. xxxiv. S.E.)
(1). Plateau Camp, occupies the summit of a
ridge of the Chiltern Hills, about 610 ft. above
O.D. The works enclose the church, which is
situated at the S.W. end of the site.
The camp is a fine example of its class, and
is remarkable for the strength of the defences.
The site, including the defences, covers
slightly over 15 acres, is roughly oval in shape,
and is defended on the E. by a treble rampart
and double ditch, and on the remaining sides by
a double rampart and single ditch. The ramparts vary from 9½ ft. in height and 34 ft. in
width on the W. to 12½ ft. in height and 42 ft. in
width on the S.E., while the ditches are from
4 ft. to 11 ft. deep and 34 ft. to 52 ft. wide. A
small triangular outwork projects from the W.
side of the work. The position of the original entrance is doubtful. Within the defences are two
ponds, known as Bury Pond and Holly Pond.
Condition—Part of the S. side is destroyed,
otherwise fairly good.
Earthwork, Parish of Cholesbury.
(2). Parish Church of St. Lawrence, stands
at the N.W. corner of the village. The walls
are of flint with stone dressings; the roof is
tiled. The church built in the 13th century
consisted apparently of a chancel and the
present Nave; the Chancel was re-built in the
14th century. In 1872-3 the entire building,
with the exception of the S. wall, was pulled
down, and re-built on the same foundations, the
old materials being re-used as far as possible.
The West Bell-turret, the South Porch, and
the South Vestry are modern.
The 13th-century S. doorway, though partly
restored, is worthy of note.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(23 ft. by 14 ft.) has a three-light E. window,
which retains part of the 14th-century shafted
inner jambs. In the N. wall are two arched
recesses, probably modern. In the S. wall is a
window of two trefoiled lights, partly of re-used
14th-century material; the doorway opening
into the vestry has two original moulded stones
re-used in the jambs. The chancel arch is
modern. The Nave (33 ft. by 14 ft.) has, in
the N. wall, two windows, each of two lights,
almost entirely modern, but with some traces of
old material, re-used; the eastern window has
shafted inner jambs of the 14th century, with
moulded capitals and bases. In the S. wall,
probably formerly in the chancel, is a window
with 14th-century shafted jambs, similar to
those in the N. wall; the sill has been cut down
to form a sedile; the 13th-century S. doorway
has moulded jambs with detached shafts of later
material, re-used, original moulded capitals,
and modern bases; the two-centred arch is of
two elaborately moulded orders with a modern
dog-tooth label. The W. window is modern.
Fittings—Bells: one, inscribed 'Com and
praye'. Font: modern, copied from fragment
of 13th-century font with circular bowl, now in
the churchyard. Piscina: in the chancel, with
square basin, 14th-century. Plate: includes
cup of 1577. Sedile: (see window in S. wall of
Condition—Good, almost entirely re-built,
remaining original details restored.
(3–5). Cottages, two, and The Bricklayers'
Inn, are each of two storeys, built in the 17th
century, and much restored. The roofs are
tiled. The first cottage, 100 yards S.E. of the
church, has been entirely re-faced with modern
brick, but has a 17th-century chimney of
brick, with oversailing courses at the top. The
inn, 200 yards E. of the church, has been refaced with 18th-century and modern brick; one
chimney stack is original. The second cottage,
300 yards S.E. of the church, has walls covered
with cement; the plain rectangular chimney is
of 17th-century brick.
Condition—Of first cottage and inn, good; of
second cottage, fairly good.