(O.S. 6 in. (a)lvi. N.W. (b)lvi. S.W.)
b (1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands in
the middle of the village, on the N. side of the
main street. It was entirely re-built in 1857–60,
except the Chancel, of which the walls are faced
with Totternhoe stone, partly restored; all the
details are modern. The roofs are tiled.
Fittings—Bells: five, 2nd by Henry Knight,
1615, 5th by Henry Knight, 1607, with inscription, 'Sancta Johanis Ora Pro Nobis'.
Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of
Richard Hanbery, citizen and goldsmith of
London (date of death not filled in), and Alice,
his wife, 1593, kneeling figures, two daughters,
two shields of arms, all on one rectangular
plate, on pedimented marble tablet with arms
of London between two Tudor roses; on S. wall,
(2) to Katherine, daughter of William Blount,
wife of Sir Mores Barkeley, 1559, inscription
and shield with arms. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall,
(1) marble tablet to Christopher Barker, 1599,
and Rachel, his wife, 1907; (2) of John
Wheeler, 1636, marble and alabaster, bust and
shield with arms; (3) of Hanbury Wheeler,
1633, marble and alabaster, bust and shield with
arms; on S. wall, (4) to Mary, wife of Edmund
Wheeler, 1626, with arms and inscription. In
vestry—on S. wall, (5) to Katherine, wife of
John Balch, 1679, with arms and inscription.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Hanbury
Wheeler, with arms and undated inscription,
17th-century; (2) to Thomas Brinley, Auditor
of Revenue to Charles I. and Charles II., 1661,
and the father of his wife, William Wase,
1642; (3) with arms, illegible, probably 17th-century. In S. aisle—(4) to Robert Conway,
167(?)3; near S. doorway, (5) to Rose, wife of
Richard Budd, Auditor of the King's Revenue,
1624, her son Richard, her niece Anne, wife of
William Wase, 1661, William Wase, 1673,
James, son of William Wase. In N. aisle—(6)
to George Cooke, 1687, and Alice, his wife, 1692.
Plate: includes cup and cover paten of 1569.
Miscellanea: in churchyard, tombstones to
members of the Aldridge family, 1633, 1693,
169—: other tombstones, illegible, 17th-century.
b (2). The Manor House, now two dwellings,
on the S. side of the main street, opposite the
church, is of three storeys, timber-framed with
plaster filling; the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the second half of the 16th century, and
much restored in the 19th century. The plan
is rectangular, facing N., with a slight projection at the S.E. end, and a modern addition
at the S.W. corner. On the N. front all the
timber-framing of the upper storeys is painted,
and the rest is modern or has been re-cut; the
overhanging third storey has four gables, and
is supported on curved brackets; some of the
windows retain original casements with ornamental iron fastenings; the two doorways have
four-centred heads and carved spandrels, but
the woodwork is modern or re-cut. The back of
the house is covered with plaster. Inside the
eastern part of the house is an original moulded
oak doorway with a four-centred head; the
newel staircase, which has a short balustrade
at the top, with flat, shaped balusters, is also
of the 16th century, and there are a few old
beams over the windows, and two oak brackets.
Condition—Good; much restored and altered.
b(3). House, almost opposite the E. end of
the church, is a low two-storeyed building,
timber-framed, with modern brick filling; the
W. front is covered with plaster and painted;
the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th
century, and was originally two cottages, converted into one dwelling in the 19th century.
The central chimney stack has three square
shafts, and is of thin bricks. The room at the
S. end has original exposed ceiling joists, and
the room next to it has similar joists of old
timber, brought from elsewhere.
b (4). The Royal Stag Inn, on the W. side of
the churchyard, was built probably in the 17th
century, but the front of the house is modern.
The back is probably original, and is of two
storeys, built of brick and timber. The roof is
Condition—Good; much restored.
a(5). Riding Court, a farmhouse, about
3/8 mile N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys
and an attic, built in the 17th century, and now
much restored and enlarged; the walls are faced
with modern brick on an old brick plinth. The
roofs are tiled. Several rooms are lined with
17th-century panelling, and have carved and
panelled oak overmantels; all the oak has been
varnished or painted, and in two rooms the
panelling is hidden by wall-paper.
The S. wall of the garden is of 17th-century
Condition—Good; much altered.
b (6). Boundary Walls, at South Lea Farm,
¾ mile S. of the church, are of 17th-century