39. FLEET MARSTON.
(O.S. 6 in. xxviii. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands
2¾ miles N.W. of Aylesbury. The walls are of
stone rubble, set in courses in the S. wall of
the nave; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel
and Nave were built possibly in the 12th or 13th
century; the S. wall of the nave was re-built
probably late in the 14th century. A small
projection at the W. end of the N. wall of the
nave was added to support a wooden bell-turret
which has disappeared; the present bell-turret
over the W. end is modern. The church was restored in 1868–9, and the North Porch and E.
wall of the chancel have apparently been re-built.
The 15th-century roof of the nave is a fine
example of the queen-post type.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(19 ft. by 13½ ft.) has an E. window of one trefoiled light with modern jambs; the head and
small external label are of uncertain date,
probably not mediæval. In the N. wall is a
14th-century window of one trefoiled light with
a chamfered external label; near the middle of
the wall are traces of a small single-light window, possibly of the 12th or 13th century; in
the S. wall are traces of a similar window, and,
at the E. end, a 14th-century window of two
trefoiled ogee lights with modern tracery in a
square head; near the W. end is a window similar to that in the N. wall, but partly restored
and without a label; between the windows is a
14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs,
partly restored, two-centred head and external
label. The chancel arch, of c. 1320, is of two
chamfered orders, originally two-centred, now
spread to a slightly four-centred form; the
moulded capitals each have four ball-flowers
carved on the bell; the lower parts of the jambs
are formed partly out of the remains of a stone
screen. The Nave (39 ft. by 14 ft.) has, in the
N. wall, two windows; the eastern, of c. 1400,
partly restored, is of two cinque-foiled lights
with a sexfoil in a two-centred head having an
external label; the western window, a wide
pointed light, has an original rear arch but has
been much restored; between the windows is a
14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs,
two-centred head and external label, which has
head-stops made up with cement. In the S.
wall is a late 14th-century window of four
cinque-foiled lights with pierced spandrels in a
square head having a moulded external label.
The North Porch is modern, but re-set in each
side wall is a small trefoiled light of the 14th
century. The Roof of the chancel is modern,
except one cambered and chamfered tie-beam.
The 15th-century roof of the nave is of four
bays, with five queen-post trusses, curved wind-braces and struts; on the E. truss are remains of
colour (see Paintings); the westernmost bay
is a copy of the other bays, made when the N.W.
bell-turret was destroyed.
Fittings—Font: roughly made, uneven bowl
with tapering sides and lower edge roll, plain
cylindrical stem, probably 13th-century, re-cut.
Glass: in head of S.E. window of chancel, fragment, yellow and white, with foliated design,
14th-century: in head of E. light of N.E. window of nave, larger fragment, representing
apparently wings of angel, the outline of head
and shoulders filled in with other pieces.
Locker: in N. wall of chancel, square, rebated
for shutter, early 15th-century. Monument: In
chancel—on S. wall, to Agnes, wife of John
Hoffman, rector of the parish, 1639, and their
two daughters. Niche: in N. porch over N.
doorway, with moulded jambs, trefoiled head
and sunk spandrels, 14th-century. Paintings:
on inner jambs of N.E. window of nave, traces
of red colour with two palimpsest coats of
colour: in nave, on jambs of N. doorway, and
on easternmost tie-beam of roof, traces of red
colour. Piscina: in sill of S.E. window of chancel, sexfoil basin, 14th-century. Miscellanea:
at E. end of N. wall of nave, stone corbel formerly supporting bressumer of rood-loft: in S.
wall of nave, outside, sundial.
Condition—Good, except N. wall of nave,
which has, near the E. end, a crack, showing
(2). House, now two tenements, on the E.
side of Akeman Street, about 220 yards N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys, built early in
the 17th century. Much of the walling has
been re-faced with modern brick; the E. front
has a gable covered with plaster; the back is
partly of old stone in courses, and a gable near
the N. end has timber-framing, now plastered.
The roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular, with
a modern addition at the S. end. The central
chimney stack is of thin bricks. Inside the
house are chamfered ceiling-beams with
moulded stops, and the original winding staircase of oak.
(3). Fleet Marston Farm, nearly ½ mile
N.W. of the church, is a house partly of two
storeys and an attic, partly of one storey. The
walls are covered with rough-cast; the roof is
tiled. It consists of a rectangular block, facing
S., built probably c. 1650, with modern additions at each end and at the back, and a S.E.
wing making the plan L-shaped, probably also
modern, but with some re-used material. The
original central chimney stack is repaired at the
top. Inside the house are chamfered ceiling-beams, with moulded stops, and some original
doors of oak battens; the lower part of one staircase is of old elm, the upper part, of oak, is