(O.S. 6 in. xxix. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles, stands on
high ground, about 700 yards N.E. of the village
and is built of rubble and rough ashlar, almost
entirely covered with cement. The roofs are
covered with lead, except that of the chancel,
which is tiled. The Chancel and Nave were built
in the 12th century, but the only remaining details
of that date are some carved stones which have
been re-set in the S. porch and elsewhere. The
chancel arch was widened c. 1340 and the windows
of the chancel and nave, except the E. window,
were inserted in the 15th century. The North Aisle
and West Tower were added towards the end of
the 15th century. The church was completely
restored in the 19th century, when the South Porch
and the E. wall of the chancel were re-built and
the North Vestry was added.
The 17th-century pulpit and communion-table
are noteworthy (see Plates, pp. 48, 50).
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19½ ft.
by 16 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the
N. wall is a modern doorway opening into the
vestry; further W. is a 15th-century window of
two cinque-foiled pointed lights under a square
head with a moulded external label and a four-centred rear arch. In the S. wall are two windows; the eastern is of late 15th or early
16th-century date, and of two trefoiled pointed
lights, under a square head, with a segmental
pointed rear arch; the western window is of the
15th century and of three trefoiled pointed lights
under a square head with a four-centred rear arch
and a moulded external label, which has a returnstop on the E. side and a head-stop on the W. side:
between the windows is a doorway, probably of
the 16th century, of one chamfered order, with a
flat three-centred head. The four-centred chancel
arch is of c. 1340 and of two continuously moulded
orders on the E. side and three on the W. side;
the innermost order has moulded ogee-stops and
the other orders have broach-stops. The Nave
(39 ft. by 19½ ft.) has a late 15th-century N.
arcade of three bays with octagonal pillars and
semi-octagonal responds, all having moulded capitals and bases; the arches are two-centred and
of two chamfered orders. In the S. wall are four
windows; the easternmost is of late 15th-century
date and of two trefoiled four-centred lights
under a square head with a segmental pointed
rear arch; the other windows are also of the 15th
century, and are each of two trefoiled pointed
lights under a square head; the 15th-century S.
doorway, under the third window, is of two chamfered orders with a four-centred head; the staircase
to the former rood-loft is shown externally by a
square projection at the E. end of the S. wall, but
the doorway is hidden by the organ. The North
Aisle (10 ft. wide) has a late 15th-century E.
window of three cinque-foiled four-centred lights
under a square head with a moulded label. In the
N. wall are three windows of late 15th-century
date; the eastern and western are each of three
trefoiled pointed lights in a square head; the
middle window is similar to the others, but of two
lights: between it and the western window is the
N. doorway of late 15th-century date, now blocked
and only visible externally; it is of two chamfered
orders, with a four-centred head; the jambs
have moulded plinths. The N.E. buttress of
the tower projects into the S.W. angle of the
aisle. The West Tower (14 ft. by 10 ft.) is of three
receding stages with a cemented parapet; at the
W. angles are diagonal buttresses, and at the S.E.
angle is a projecting, semi-octagonal stair-turret,
rising to the floor-level of the ringing-chamber.
The detail is all of late 15th-century date. The
tower arch is four-centred, of three chamfered
orders on the W. side and two on the E. side;
the inner order has moulded capitals, the other
orders are continuous and have chamfered stops
as bases; on the E. side is a moulded label: the
doorway opening into the stair-turret has a four-centred head. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights under a four-centred head, with a
moulded external label and a rear arch of two
chamfered orders. The second stage has a single
light in the W. wall, and the bell-chamber has a
window of two cinque-foiled lights in each wall.
The stair-turret has two small lights, the lower
a trefoil and the upper a quatrefoil.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd, by James Keene,
1638; 3rd, by John Dier, late 16th-century;
4th, by James Keene, 1634; 5th, inscribed
'ancta maria ora pro nobis', stamped with a
small shield, reversed, containing a rebus—a
W. on a tun—and letters, also reversed, possibly
meant for 'Prior', probably by John Saunders,
1539–1559; 6th, by Richard Chandler, 1638.
Chest: In vestry—of panelled oak, probably early
17th-century. Communion Table: with top rails
moulded and carved with arabesque ornament
and human faces, foot rails carved and moulded,
four large turned legs, reeded and carved, early
17th-century. Doors: In tower—opening from
ground stage to stair-turret, of oak battens; opening from stair-turret to ringing-chamber, consisting
of a single heavy oak plank; both probably 15th-century. Font: octagonal bowl chamfered at
the bottom, octagonal stem with ogee stops and
square foot, chamfered base, 15th-century. Glass:
In vestry—in E. window, eight small fragments
white and gold, flowers, one quarry with a skull
having a thigh bone in the mouth, another with
part of an inscription in black-letter, probably
15th-century. Piscina: see Recesses. Pulpit:
In nave—in N.E. angle, hexagonal, of oak with
modern stone base, each of the three exposed
sides and door divided into three stages, middle
stage having rectangular and L-shaped panels,
other stages having each a carved foliated panel;
styles enriched with arabesque carvings and cornice
with a running ornament, book-rest carved on the
under side and supported by brackets carved as
grotesque animals; the standard, of two wings,
one on each wall, in two panelled stages having
styles with pilasters carved as herms, and flanked
on each side by grotesque consoles, sounding-board
hexagonal with moulded and carved frieze surmounted by carved pierced cresting, at each angle
a turned pendant and a square pierced pinnacle,
soffit panelled; early 17th-century. Recess: In
chancel—in S. wall, plain, square, occupying
position of piscina, but with no details to show
that it was used for that purpose. In nave—in
W. wall, with splayed jambs, flat sill and head,
use uncertain. Sedile: In chancel—ledge of S.E.
window carried down to form seat. Miscellanea:
In nave—above pulpit at E. end of N. wall, wooden
corbel, moulded and carved with dentil ornament
on face and a volute on side, probably 17th-century.
Built into various walls, the following carved
stones: chancel—outside, in E. gable, (1) carved
head; vestry—outside, in E. wall, (2) small
capital with volute ornament; nave—outside,
in W. end of S. wall, high up, (3) incised face
surrounded with zig-zag ornament; inside, in N.
wall, at W. end, (4) plain corbel; in S. wall, (5) three
pieces of carved string-course or corbels, and plain
corbel; porch—outside, in E. wall, (6) two small
squares with flowers in relief; in W. wall, (7) two
similar flowers and piece of diaper ornament;
in S. wall, (8) three similar flowers and halves of
two birds each with fan-tail; inside, in E. wall,
(9) two pieces of shaft with scallops and two pieces
of diaper ornament; in W. wall, (10) part of moulding of arch with a form of beak ornament, length of
billet-moulded string-course, and two pieces of shaft
with cable and pellet moulding; all 12th-century.
Condition—Windows, etc., repaired with cement
which has stripped off in places, otherwise good.
(2). Homestead Moat and Fish-pond, 130
yards N.W. of the Manor House.
The buildings are all of two storeys, and timber-framed with plaster or brick filling; many are of
17th-century origin, but have been considerably
restored and altered; the roofs generally are
thatched. The cottages are all of rectangular
plan, except one.
(3). Cottage, now two tenements, on the W.
side of the road, about 3/8 mile S.W. of the church.
The central chimney stack has been re-built at the
(4). Farmhouse, W. of (3). The doorways,
windows and chimneys are of the 18th century,
and the walls have been much patched and repaired.
The roofs are tiled. The plan is of half-H shape,
with modern additions at the back. The wings
have hipped gables.
Condition—Fairly good, much altered.
(5). Cottage, now three tenements, in St.
Andrew's Terrace, 100 yards S.W. of (3). It
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century, but has been much altered and enlarged.
The filling is of modern brick and the walls are
partly weather-boarded. The plan is irregular.
Condition—Fairly good, much altered.
Main road, W. side
(6). Cottage, now three tenements, about ½
mile S. of the church.
(7). Cottage, three tenements, about 50 yards
S.E. of (6). It is of uncertain date, probably
mediæval, but much altered and restored. The
gable facing the road has remains of 'crook' or
'fork' construction, and the wall retains traces
of three bays of the same construction; the
timbers originally extended from the ground to
the ridge of the roof, but have been cut.
Condition—Fairly good, the original structure
(8). Cottage, S. of (7). The walls have modern
brick filling. The roof is tiled.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(9). The Old Swan Inn, S.E. of (8). It was
built probably in the 16th century, but the walls
have been partly re-built with modern brick; the
original timber-framing is very rough. The plan
is T-shaped, and at the ends of the wings are
half-hipped gables, with naturally cambered tie-beams.
(10). Cottage, about 3/8 mile S.W. of the church.
It was of the central chimney type, but has been
enlarged and much restored. The walls are gabled;
the roof is tiled.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(11). Cottages, three in one range, behind the
Post Office, at the N. end of the village, about 500
yards S.W. of the church. The walls are on brick
foundations, and the brick filling is whitewashed.
There is a modern addition at the back and a
modern shop at the S.W. end.
(12). House, adjoining (11) at the N.E. end,
is of two storeys, built of red and black bricks
late in the 17th century. The roof is tiled. The
plan is L-shaped, with the internal angle facing
W. The chimney stack at the S.W. end is original.
Interior:—On the ground floor there are plain
ceiling-beams and a wide fireplace.
(13). Lynchets, on Southend Hill and Westend Hill; those on Southend Hill are the best
examples in the county.
Condition—On Southend Hill, very good; on
Westend Hill, fairly good.