(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxv. S.W. (b)xxx. N.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin,
stands on a hill S.W. of the village. The walls
are covered heavily with modern plaster, except
those of the chancel, which are of ashlar, and
all have embattled parapets, concealing the
roofs. The three eastern bays of the Nave form
the earliest part of the church; in the middle
of the 13th century the nave was lengthened by
at least two bays, and the North and South Aisles,
with the arcades, were added; c. 1280 the
Chancel was re-built; c. 1330 windows were inserted
in the aisles, and c. 1340 the West Tower was
built in the W. end of the nave. In the 15th
century the clearstorey and the North and South
Porches were added, the chancel arch was re-built
and windows were inserted in the N. aisle; late
in the same century the North Transept was added.
In 1828 the tower, with the bells, was damaged
by fire, and subsequently the church was restored.
The church is a fine building in a commanding
position; the 15th-century roofs are noteworthy.
Among the fittings the pulpit with canopy, the stalls
(see Plate, p. 160) and the rood-screen with remains
of the loft, all of the 15th century, are remarkable.
Church of St Mary, Edlesborough.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (39 ft.
by 21 ft.) has an E. window of c. 1280, much
restored; it is of five pointed uncusped lights and
tracery in a two-centred head, and has a richly
moulded rear arch, and shafted jambs and mullions. In the N. wall, at the E. end, is a window,
also of c. 1280, much restored, of two trefoiled
lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with
an external label; the head and rear arch are
elaborately moulded, and the inner and outer
edges of the internal jambs are shafted; the
internal label has stops in the form of small capitals,
and mitres at the apex with an ogee cornicemoulding: W. of the window is a small doorway
with a four-centred head; it is of late 15th-century date, and opens into a passage constructed
in a small modern turret, leading to the N. transept:
the moulded segmental pointed arch, opening into
the N. transept, is of late 15th-century date, and
dies into the wall on each side. In the S. wall are
three late 15th-century windows, each of three
cinque-foiled lights under a flat four-centred head;
the sill of the easternmost window is carried down
as a square recess and stepped to form two sedilia:
between the two eastern windows is a small doorway of late 13th-century date, with continuously
moulded jambs and two-centred head: over the
doorway is a cornice similar to that on the N. wall:
W. of the westernmost window, and a little above
it, is a defaced fragment of a window label of late
13th-century date. The 15th-century chancel arch
is two-centred and of two orders, the outer order
chamfered and dying on to flat responds, the inner
continuously moulded; on the W. side, above the
apex, is an embattled moulding. The North
Transept (16 ft. by 15 ft.) has, in the N. wall,
a late 15th-century window of five cinque-foiled
lights under a flat four-centred head. In the
W. wall, opening into the aisle, is a segmental
pointed arch of two hollow-chamfered orders,
also of late 15th-century date. The Nave (56 ft.
by 21 ft.) has N. and S. arcades of four bays
and of mid 13th-century date; the pointed
arches are of two chamfered orders with undercut labels, and the columns are octagonal with
undercut moulded capitals; the third column
from the E. end of each arcade is formed
by two responds, back to back, and indicates
the position of the original W. wall; the E.
responds are semi-octagonal; at the W. end are
complete columns, against which the wall of the
tower is built; the bases of the two W. columns
and of the double responds are moulded, and the
other bases chamfered. In the S.E. corner is
the upper doorway of the former rood-loft. The
clearstorey has four N. and four S. windows,
each of two trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head; the openings are of the 15th
century, but the external stonework is modern.
The North Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
four windows; the easternmost is of the 15th
century, and of three trefoiled and transomed lights
under a flat four-centred head, all much restored;
the two windows in the middle are each of c. 1330
and of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred
head, with internal and external labels; modern
tracery has been inserted in the heads: between
the 14th-century windows is the N. doorway, of
late 13th-century date, with a depressed two-centred head more richly moulded than the jambs;
the westernmost window is a small single light,
placed low in the wall, and apparently of the 15th
century. In the W. wall, 7 or 8 ft. from the ground,
is the square recess of a fireplace with remains of a
flue, possibly indicating, with the small window in
the N. wall, that the westernmost bay of the aisle
formed at one time a small lodging of two storeys.
Over each column of the arcade, spanning the aisle
and forming a flying buttress to the wall of the
nave, is a small moulded arch of late 15th-century
date. The South Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has, in the E.
wall, a 15th-century window of two lights under a
square head; near the N. end of the wall are the
remains of the rood-loft stairs, with a doorway at
some height above the floor. In the S. wall are
three 14th-century windows similar to those in the
N. aisle, and also with modern tracery inserted in
the heads, but the labels and rear arches are of
different profile; between the two western windows is the early 14th-century S. doorway with
jambs and two-centred head of two continuously
moulded orders. Spanning the aisle are three
15th-century arches, resembling those in the N.
aisle, and there is a fourth arch over the W. wall.
The West Tower (17½ ft. by 15 ft.) is of two stages
with an embattled parapet, a S.W. staircase,
rising above the roof of the tower, square angle
buttresses and a smaller intermediate buttress
against the N. and S. walls. The whole tower
is of c. 1340. The two-centred tower arch is of
three chamfered orders; the jambs are of one
chamfered order, each having a semi-octagonal
pilaster with a moulded capital and chamfered
base. The W. window is a single cinque-foiled
light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, two
windows, each of two trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with an external label.
The North Porch has a 15th-century entrance archway, two-centred and of two chamfered orders.
In each side wall is a 15th-century window of four
lights. The South Porch has an entrance archway
of the same date and design as that of the N. porch.
All the Roofs are of the 15th century, except
those of the S. aisle and S. porch. The low-pitched roof of the chancel is of three bays, and
has heavy chamfered tie-beams and straining-beams, curved struts with traceried spandrels,
chamfered purlins and ridge, moulded wall-plates
and chamfered rafters; the easternmost tie-beam is cut away to form a hammer-beam on
each side of the E. window; the trusses rest
on moulded stone corbels, two carved with flowers
and two with faces. The low-pitched roof of the
nave is of four bays, with chamfered tie-beams
and straining-beams, curved struts, plain spandrels,
chamfered purlins and ridge, plain rafters and
moulded wall-plates; the trusses rest on moulded
stone corbels. The N. transept has a low-pitched
roof of two bays with heavy cambered and
chamfered tie-beams, moulded straining-beams,
and curved struts with plain spandrels, moulded
purlins, principals and ridge, and chamfered rafters.
The N. aisle has a flat lean-to roof of four bays,
having chamfered principal rafters with curved
struts resting on moulded stone corbels; the wall-plates and purlins are moulded. The roof of the
S. aisle is apparently modern, but rests on old
stone corbels similar to those in the N. aisle.
The N. porch has a low-pitched roof with a moulded
ridge, bracketed and carried on corbels.
Fittings—Brackets: In N. transept—not in situ,
five, of stone, carved, two as angels with shields,
one as a dragon, the others as crowned heads, re-cut,
one as a skull, the other as a chalice, c. 1500,
Brasses and Indents: In N. transept—on W. wall,
in slab with Ionic pilasters, (1) of Henry Brugis,
1647, who married Frances, daughter of John
Pigott and Winefred, his wife, figures of a man and
woman in 17th-century dress, two inscriptions,
one to Henry Brugis, the other to Winefred
Pigott, daughter of Thomas Sankye of Edlesborough, 1592, three shields, 1st, Piggott impaling
quarterly indented four hunting horns counter-coloured, 2nd, Brugis (Bridges), 3rd, Piggott;
indents of three other shields. In N. aisle—(2) of
John Rufford, 1540, and, Brygett, Anne and
Elynore his wives, four figures, man in plate
armour with mail skirt, large dagger and sword,
figures of wives on one brass, in close fitting headdresses, both brasses in indents of earlier date,
the man in that of civilian in long robe, the wives
in that of a woman with horned head-dress;
black-letter inscription in two pieces, indents
of children and shield. Two brasses, of John
Swynstede, 1395, and John Killingworth, 1412,
formerly in this church, are now in the chapel
at Ashridge, Little Gaddesden, Hertfordshire.
Indents: In chancel—over doorway in N. wall,
(1) of inscription with (?) cross over it. In N.
aisle—(2) of half-figure, scroll and inscription; in
large slab, broken, (3) of knight with dagger,
sword, animal at feet, narrow inscription plate,
four shields and a marginal inscription, late
14th-century. In S. aisle—(4) of figure and inscription. Chair: In chancel—with moulded legs,
shaped arms, carved top rail and fluted rails
below seat, 17th-century, or made up of 17th-century fragments. Chests: In N. transept—
(1) plain, early 17th-century, (2) inscribed 'RLEL1689'.#
Communion Table: In N. transept—of oak, with
turned baluster legs and incised decoration,
early 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl, one
side blank, other sides with quatrefoil panels,
15th-century, much scraped. Font-cover, modern,
with foliated finial, of oak, 15th-century, possibly
the finial of pulpit canopy re-used. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on
N. wall, (1) to Margaret, wife of Thomas Bayley,
S.T.P., principal of New Inn Hall, Oxford, 1701,
and her daughter Margaret, by her first husband, John Theed of Horton, 1700, white marble
slab. In N. transept—on E. wall, (2) to Thomas
Rufford, 1599, of Purbeck marble with semi-octagonal pilasters and semi-circular arch having
guilloche ornament, trefoiled spandrels, three
shields of arms and inscription. Floor-slabs:
In S. aisle—(1) to Elizabeth Hutchinson, 1636;
near S. doorway (2) inscribed M. T. 1700; (3)
inscribed J. T. 1695. Niches: In N. aisle—
between two easternmost windows, shallow, with
cinque-foiled head and traces of defaced canopy,
15th-century. In S. aisle—S. of E. window, with
moulded ogee head, 15th-century. Painting: In
N. aisle—on back of niche, traces of figure of
bishop. Piscinae: In chancel—in S. wall, with
shelf and curious cinque-foiled shouldered head,
15th-century. In S. aisle—in S. wall, with
moulded ogee head, 15th-century. Plate: includes
cup and cover paten, each with band of ornament,
of 1607; large cup of 1636, with inscription,
recording that it was given to the church by
Raph Hutchinson in 1636, and shield of arms,
Hutchinson impaling Bridges; stand paten of
1636, with same arms and pelican engraved on
foot. Pulpit: of 'wine glass' shape, octagonal
tub with moulded fan soffit resting on octagonal
post with moulded cap and base; tub has square
angle-posts with buttresses having crocketed
finials, and panels with traceried heads and vaulted
gabled canopies with tracery, crockets and
finials; two sides forming door have moulded
brackets in lower part of panels, other sides have
modern copies of the brackets; over pulpit,
octagonal canopy, in four diminishing stages
of elaborate design, lowest stage has vaulted
soffit with small roll ribs forming a star pattern,
two vaulted gables to each face meeting at an angle
and having crockets and finials, main posts and
smaller posts between gables having crocketed
pinnacles; two middle stages have tracery in
each face, under a two-centred arch, gables and
pinnacles as in lowest stage; top stage formed by
eight crocketed posts tapering to a point; pulpit
and canopy, 15th-century, much restored, gilded
ball surmounting canopy, probably modern. Screen:
Between chancel and nave—of oak and of five
bays, gates in middle bay each having two open
panels with cinque-foiled heads and tracery under
ogee-curved rail, above them open panel with
pointed arch having seven main foils, each trefoiled and sub-cusped and with foliated ends;
four side bays, each divided above middle rail
into three open panels, with cinque-foiled heads
and tracery under pointed arch; the mullions and
main posts moulded, the posts having circular
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
the capitals on W. side carved with foliage;
moulded middle rail carved on W. side; below
rail, close panels, with traceried heads on W.
side; moulded cornice and fan-vaulted coving
of loft on E. side; 15th-century, much repaired;
on W. side, painting and cornice modern. Sedilia:
In chancel—in S. wall, niche for sedile with
chamfered four-centred head; (see also easternmost window). Seating: In tower—front of seat,
with moulded buttresses, 15th-century. Stalls:
In chancel—six stalls with backs to rood-screen,
having shaped standards with moulded capping,
moulded edges running down to small attached
shafts below the seat level, with moulded capitals
and bases; on elbows of standards, small carvings,
including heads of angels and a bishop, etc., some
of them grotesque, seats have misericordes carved
with birds, grotesque beasts, etc., 15th-century; in
front of all the stalls, including the modern stalls
on N. and S. sides of chancel, desks with moulded
edges, poppy-head standards having buttresses
with moulded offsets, and fronts with panels
having foiled heads and carved spandrels, 15th-century. Tiles: In chancel—near S. doorway,
in nave—on N. and S. sides at E. end, various
patterns, 14th-century. Miscellanea: fixed to N.
jamb of chancel arch, hour-glass stand, of iron,
probably 17th-century, a ring remains on pulpit,
showing probably the original position.
Condition—Fairly good; the walls of the tower
are bulging outwards, apparently owing to recent
settlement of the foundations.
b(2). Homestead Moat, double, at Manor Farm,
about ¼ mile N.E. of the church.
b(3). Butler's Farm, house and moat, nearly
1 mile W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, almost entirely of brick; the roofs are
tiled. It was built probably early in the 17th
century, on an L-shaped plan, the internal angle
facing S., and was altered apparently in 1701;
there is a modern addition in the angle between the
wings on the S.E. front, and another at the back.
In front the S.E. wing is of red bricks with blue
headers; a stone set in the wall bears a date,
possibly 1701, but the last two figures are defaced;
between the storeys and at the foot of the gable
are stone string-courses. The N.E. wall is covered
with cement. The S.W. wing has, on the S.W.
side, brick in the lower part of the wall and 17th-century timber and brick in the upper part.
One chimney stack is original and has four grouped
The Moat surrounds a large site, which is sub-divided by another ditch and has the house in the
Condition—Of house, poor, one wall is bulging
outwards; of moat, much denuded.
b(4). Barn, Dovecot and Moat, at Church
Farm, 300 yards N.E. of the church. The Barn
(see Plate, p. 112) is a long rectangular building of
mid 16th-century date, and is a good example of
its kind. The walls are almost entirely timber-framed with filling of thin bricks, on a projecting
plinth of brick with a string-course of Totternhoe
stone; on the E. side part of the plinth is entirely
of stone, on the W. side it has been restored with
modern brick and cement. The S. end is of late
17th-century brick and the gable is weather-boarded. In the W. wall are some narrow looplights.
Interior:—The walls are partly covered with
plaster; the partitions and upper floor are modern.
The open roof has nine trusses with massive timbers,
curved struts, etc., supported on attached posts
carried on low walls of Totternhoe stone.
The Dovecot is square, built of brick, in the
second half of the 17th century. The roof is tiled,
and retains two of the supporting timbers of a
lantern, originally the opening to admit the doves.
The walls are lined inside with small brick
The Moat is stirrup-shaped and encloses a large
area, with the dove-cot in the E. half.
Condition—Of both buildings, good generally,
but the timber-framing of the barn is decaying;
of moat, good.
These buildings are nearly all of the 17th century, and of two storeys. The walls generally are
timber-framed, with brick filling, much restored
with modern brick. The roofs, except two, are
tiled or thatched.
The Green, W. side
a(5). Cottages, a range, about ½ mile N.E. of
the church. The S.E. front is entirely of modern
brick. The central chimney stack is original and
has three square shafts, one set diagonally, on a
rectangular base; the tops of the shafts are
a(6). Cottage, 130 yards N.E. of (5). The
plan is T-shaped. The S. front is entirely of
modern brick. One chimney stack is of 17th-century brick.
a(7). Cottage, about 1,000 yards N.E. of the
church. It was built late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century, but has been re-fronted with
modern brick and much restored. The plain
rectangular chimney stack is of old thin bricks.
a(8). Cottages, two adjoining, 70 yards S.W. of
(7). At the back is a large modern addition.
The plain square chimney stack is original.
a(9). Cottage, 80 yards S.W. of (8). It is of
late 16th or early 17th-century date, restored
and enlarged. The central chimney stack is
original and has three square shafts.
a(10). The Post Office and adjoining Cottages,
150 yards S.E. of (9). The building has been
almost entirely re-fronted with modern brick.
The original plan is L-shaped; at the S.E. end is a
modern addition. At the N.W. end is a projecting
chimney stack of thin bricks; the central stack
has four square shafts, and another original stack
has one square shaft.
a(11). House, now four tenements, E. of (10).
The plan is T-shaped, with a modern addition in
the W. angle between the wings. The central
chimney stack has four square shafts of original
b(12). Charity Farm, house and barns, about
½ mile N.E. of the church. The House was built
probably in the second half of the 16th century,
but has been almost entirely restored with modern
brick. The plan consists of a rectangular block,
facing N., with a slightly projecting wing at each
end; at the E. end is a low modern addition. In
front the upper storey of the central block retains
the original timber-framing, with filling of modern
brick; only one of the timbers is continued to the
ground; the roof is carried in one plane over the
central block and the wings; between the wings
it rests on a beam supported by two curved
brackets. The gables at the E. and W. ends are
timber-framed, with filling of very thin bricks.
Interior:—Some of the ceilings have old beams,
now encased; the wide fireplaces are partly
blocked. The roof retains the original large
The Barns, enclosing a courtyard in front of
the house, are also of the 16th century. The
walls are weather-boarded, and the open roofs are
original, with large beams, curved struts, etc.
Condition—Good; much restored.
Slickett's Lane, S. side
a(13). House, about 80 yards N.E. of (12), is of
one storey and an attic. In the projecting chimney
stack at the N.E. end is a brick dated 1760.
a(14). Cottage, now an outhouse of the Rule
and Square Inn, S.W. of (13).
Condition—Bad; the walls falling down.
b(15). Cottage, on the E. side of the road,
160 yards S.W. of (12). One chimney stack is of
late 17th-century brick.
b(16). Cottage, 40 yards S.W. of (15). The
building has modern additions. One chimney
stack is of 17th-century brick, restored.
b(17). Cottage, nearly opposite to (15), is of
late 16th or early 17th-century date. In front
some of the brick filling is set in herring-bone
pattern. The wall at the back is covered with
plaster. The central chimney stack is original.
Interior:—There is one wide, open fireplace.
Condition—Very bad, uninhabited and neglected.
The Northall road, N. side
b(18). The Bell Inn, N.E. of the church. The
walls are of late 17th-century brick; the plan is
rectangular with a central chimney stack and a
large modern addition at the back. The chimney
stack is of thin bricks, with round-headed panels
in the sides. Interior:—On the ground floor the
ceilings have rough chamfered beams, and there
is a large open fireplace with seats in the chimney
b(19). The Greyhound Inn, N.W. of (18). The
plan is rectangular, with a modern addition at the
back. In front the original timber-framing is
covered with modern boards; the upper storey
formerly projected, but has been under-built with
modern brick. The timber-framing of the N.W.
gable is covered with cement. Interior:—The
wide fireplaces are partly blocked.
b(20). House, now two tenements about 70 yards
N. of the church. The walls are of red and black
bricks, of c. 1700. In front, on the ground floor,
the doorway in the middle has been made into a
window, but retains part of the original frame;
the window on each side has been lowered and
made into a doorway, and the other windows have
been altered. On the first floor three of the
windows are blocked; two of them retain original
oak mullioned frames. Interior:—Some old beams
remain in the ceilings.
Northall, main road, W. side
a(21). Farmhouse, at the S.E. end of the hamlet,
about 1 mile N.W. of the church. The walls have
been re-faced with modern brick; the roofs are
covered with slate. The large central chimney
stack is of 17th-century brick, with four square
shafts which have oversailing courses at the top.
Interior:—A few plain ceiling-beams and large
roof-timbers are visible.
Condition—Good; almost entirely modern.
a(22). House, about 1¼ miles N.W. of the
church. The roofs are covered with slate. The
central chimney stack has two attached square
shafts; it is probably original, but is covered with
a(23). The Village Green Inn (see Plate, p. 112),
240 yards N.W. of (22), was built probably in the
16th century. The original plan is rectangular,
and at the S.W. end is a modern addition. On
the S.E. side the upper storey projects; on the
N.W. side it has been under-built with modern
brick. The central chimney stack is of old thin
a(24). Cottage, No. 14, about 80 yards N.W.
of (23), is of late 16th or early 17th-century
date. In front the overhanging upper storey
has strips of tarred cement in imitation of the
original timber construction. At the S.E. end is
a large projecting chimney stack with stepped and
moulded offsets, and a plain shaft of original brick.
Interior:—The wide fireplace has been partly
a(25). Cottage, two tenements, Nos. 12 and 13,
N.W. of (24).
b(26). Lynchets, S. of the church, not well