(O.S. 6 in. v. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands
on the S. side of the village. The walls of the
chancel are of irregularly coursed ashlar, those
of the nave and aisles are of squared stone rubble;
the tower is of rubble. The roofs are covered with
slate and with tiles. The Chancel, Nave, and
North and South Aisles were built c. 1340: the
chancel, apparently, was built first, then the nave,
the S. aisle, and lastly the N. aisle. The West Tower
was added early in the 15th century. The North
and South Porches and the South Vestry are modern.
The church was restored in 1869, and the external
stonework of the nave and aisles was largely
The church is a good example of 14th-century
work, the E. window of the chancel being especially
fine. Among the fittings, the 15th-century brass
of a priest, with a curious inscription, is remarkable.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35 ft.
by 17 ft.) has a plain plinth, an external string-course below the window-sills, and, on the N. and
S. walls, a moulded cornice enriched with flowers,
grotesque heads and beasts, all of the 14th century;
the buttresses, one in the middle of the N. wall,
and two at each E. angle, are also of the 14th
century, and have gabled heads; those at the E.
end of the side walls have each, in addition, a square
pinnacle, with traceried sides and crocketed gables,
head-corbels at the corners and a tall crocketed
finial; in each buttress against the E. wall is a
niche (see Fittings). The E. window is of c. 1340,
and of five trefoiled ogee lights with elaborate
tracery in a two-centred head; the jambs, mullions
and head are moulded, and the external label has
head-stops; the inner edges of the jambs have
small attached shafts with moulded bases and
bell-capitals; the rear arch is moulded and has a
moulded label with modern stops. In the N. wall
are two windows; the eastern window is of three
trefoiled ogee lights and net tracery, of c. 1340,
slightly restored, the western of three cinque-foiled
lights and tracery of a modified net pattern, also
of c. 1340, with modern mullions and a modern
transom about 2 ft. above the sill; externally
the jambs, two-centred heads and labels of both
windows are moulded; internally the jambs have
keeled edge-rolls continued round the moulded
rear arches, which have moulded labels; the stops
of the labels are carved as heads and grotesque
beasts: E. of the western window is a doorway
of c. 1340, externally restored; the jambs, two-centred head and internal label are moulded.
In the S. wall are two windows similar to those
in the N. wall, both restored; the transom, with
the stonework below it, of the western window is
modern: E. of the western window, now opening
into the vestry, is a 15th-century doorway, with
moulded jambs and four-centred head; the rear
arch, in the vestry, is modern: at the W. end of
the wall is a low-side window of early 15th-century
date, of one cinque-foiled four-centred light-under
a square head with sunk spandrels; it has a
transom at the level of the internal string-course,
which is carried across it; in the W. jamb are
traces of a squint from the aisle: the 14th-century
string-course is carried round the N., E. and S.
walls, inside, and has modern stops under the
chancel arch. The pointed chancel arch is probably
of early 15th-century date, and is of two moulded
orders dying into the walls; on the E. side is a
moulded label, and there are traces of a similar
label on the W. side. The Nave (56 ft. by 17 ft.)
has mid 14th-century N. and S. arcades of five bays,
with pointed arches of two moulded orders, and
piers formed of four engaged shafts, with moulded
bell-capitals and bases; the responds are half-sections of the piers; both arcades have moulded
labels in the nave, with modern stops. The
clearstorey has five modern windows on each
side. The North Aisle (9 ft. wide) has, in the N.
wall, three windows, each of three lights and
tracery; they are all modern, except the moulded
inner jambs, rear arches and labels with carved
stops, and a few stones in the outer jambs, which
are of mid 14th-century date: the N. doorway,
between the two western windows, is also of mid
14th-century date, and has moulded jambs and
two-centred head of two orders separated by a
wide hollow; further W. is a modern doorway
opening into the parvise staircase, and over the N.
doorway is a small trefoiled light of the 14th
century, opening into the parvise. A 14th-century
moulded string-course is carried round the N. wall,
inside, below the sill-level of the windows. The
South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, three
windows, each of three lights and tracery, all
modern, except the 14th-century beast-stops of
the internal label of the easternmost window, and
a few internal stones which have been re-cut;
the S. doorway, between the two western windows,
is modern. The West Tower (11 ft. by 10½ ft.)
is of two stages, with a moulded plinth, an embattled parapet, a N.E. stair-turret, and diagonal
buttresses at the two W. angles; all the detail is
of c. 1400. The tower arch is acutely pointed,
and of three chamfered orders; the outermost
order is continuous with the jambs, and the two
inner orders spring from three attached shafts
with moulded bell-capitals and bases; on the E.
side is a moulded label with returned ends. In
the N.E. corner, opening into the stair-turret, is
a chamfered doorway with a two-centred head.
The W. doorway has a two-centred head of three
moulded orders separated by wide hollows, and
dying on to jambs of three chamfered orders; in
the S. jamb is a deep hole for a wood draw-bar;
the external label is moulded. The W. window
is of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head. The upper storey of the first
stage has, in the S. wall, a trefoiled ogee light.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of
two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the jambs and head are of four
chamfered orders; the moulded label is carried
round the tower as a string-course: over the E.
window is a single trefoiled light. The stair-turret
has a trefoiled loop-light. The North Porch, with
parvise, and the South Porch are modern. The
ceiling of the N. porch has an arched and moulded
tie-beam of the 14th century.
Fittings—Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, of
John Mordon alias Andrew, 1410, with figure of
priest in Mass vestment, scroll issuing from mouth
inscribed, 'Jon preyth the sey for hy~ a pat' nost'
& an ave', and inscription "Orate p~ aīa mrī Johīs
Mordon als~ Andrew quondm~ Rectoris isti' eccliē
qui dedit isti eccliē portos missai~ ordinal~ ps~
oculi in crat' ferr' manual p~cesonal~ & eccliē de
Olney catholicon legend' aur' & portos in crat'
ferr' & eccliē de Hullemorton portos in crat' ferr' &
alia ornamēta qui obiit . . . . . die mens' . . . . . an° dnī
M°cccc°x cuius aīe ~ppiciet' deus ame'." Chairs:
In chancel—two, richly carved, with shaped arms,
turned legs, and red velvet seats, late 17th-century. Door: In tower—in doorway of staircase,
with plain strap-hinges, possibly 15th-century.
Font (see Plate, p. 45): octagonal bowl, with
panelled sides of window-tracery pattern, and
moulded lower edge, stem also panelled, base
moulded, late 14th or early 15th-century. Locker:
In chancel—in N. wall, plain, date uncertain.
Niches: Chancel—in two E. buttresses, each with
trefoiled pointed head, crocketed and gabled label,
14th-century. Piscinae: In chancel—in range
with sedilia, jambs with small attached shafts,
moulded capitals and bases, cinque-foiled ogee
head with moulded label, octofoil basin, jambs
14th-century, much restored, head modern. In
S. aisle—with chamfered pointed arch, no jambs
or basin, possibly remains of 14th-century piscina.
Plate: includes cup and cover paten of first half
of 17th century, no marks; large salver of 1671
dated 1694; two pewter flagons, possibly late
17th-century. Recesses: Chancel—under E. window, outside, 1 ft. 5 in. square, with chamfered
jambs, lintel and sill, carried down about 2 ft. in
thickness of wall, probably led formerly to a
charnel vault under the chancel; under N.E.
window, inside, plain, possibly modern. Screen:
In chancel—across front of recess under N.E.
window, remains, of oak, with three cinque-foiled
and sub-trefoiled four-centred heads, carved spandrels, 15th-century, restored, mullions modern,
westernmost head much damaged, all cusp-points
broken. Sedilia: In chancel—three in range
with piscina, jambs and intermediate shafts of
similar detail to that of piscina, 14th-century,
bases perished, heads and spandrels modern.
Condition—Good; except the plinth of the
tower which is much decayed.
(2.) The Rectory, about 150 yards N.E. of the
church, is of stone, almost entirely re-built in the
18th century. A cellar with two windows opening
into an area on the N. side of the house, is of the
17th century; the windows are each of two lights,
with jambs, head and mullion of moulded stone.
(3). House, now two tenements, on the E.
side of the road to Olney, 170 yards N.E. of the
church, is of two storeys, built c. 1699, the date
inscribed on the central chimney stack. The
walls are of stone rubble; the roof is covered
with slate. The plan is rectangular; the central
chimney stack is of stone, with a panel, apparently
of plaster, on which are scratched the initials
and date, 'TPS 1699.' The S. end is gabled, and
has a chimney stack of late 17th or early 18th-century brick. Interior:—The wide fireplaces
are partly blocked, and the original ceiling-beams
(4). House, adjoining (3), at the N. end, is
of two storeys, built of stone rubble, probably
early in the 17th century; the roof is thatched.
At the S. end is a large projecting chimney stack
of stone, restored at the top with modern brick;
at the N. end is a chimney stack of brick, probably
of late 17th-century date. Interior:—On the
ground floor one room has an open timber ceiling.
(5). House, on the W. side of the road, about
340 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys
and an attic, built of stone rubble, probably late
in the 16th century; the roof is tiled. The plan
is rectangular. The E. end, facing the road, has
a gable with chamfered coping and a moulded
apex; the windows have old stop-chamfered
lintels of oak. On the N. side, near the E. end,
is a large projecting chimney stack of stone, with
a 16th-century chamfered plinth; the top is of
modern brick; the windows have stop-chamfered
oak lintels. The W. end has a gable similar to
that at the E. end. On the S. side, near the W.
end, is a 16th-century doorway with a moulded
Interior:—The ceilings have stop-chamfered
beams. On the ground floor is a 16th-century
door of battens, and in the S. wall, near the E. end,
is a doorway with a moulded oak frame similar
to that further W., and formerly external, now
covered by the adjoining modern house, and
blocked. The kitchen has a little re-used panelling of late 16th or early 17th-century date.
On the first floor, in the large N.E. stack, is a
square fireplace of moulded stone, probably of
the 16th century; in it is set a smaller moulded
stone fireplace, probably of later date. The
staircase, from the ground floor to the attic, is
of late 16th or early 17th-century date, and has
square newels with moulded caps, turned balusters
and a moulded rail.