(O.S. 6 in. (a)xix. S.W. (b)xxiii. N.W.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, in the village, is built of stone rubble with
dressings of clunch and stone; the tower is of
large squared stones in courses. The roofs are
covered with lead, except that of the chancel,
which is tiled. The present Nave was built c. 1330.
The Chancel was re-built between 1396 and 1401.
The West Tower was added and the walls of the
nave were heightened late in the 15th century.
The church was restored in 1880–81.
Among the fittings is a rare example of a 15th-century chrismatory (see Plate, p. 50), and a carved
alabaster panel, also of the 15th century, is
Architectural Description:—The Chancel (20½ ft.
by 14½ ft.) has an E. window of three cinque-foiled
lights and tracery in a two-centred head with an
external label, of 1396–1401, restored and re-tooled.
In the N. wall is a window of the same date as the
E. window and of two cinque-foiled lights with
tracery in a two-centred head; externally the label
and part of the tracery have been restored: further
W. is a doorway, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head and a moulded external label, of late
15th-century date, restored; the date 1589 is
scratched on the internal E. splay. In the S. wall
are two windows of 1396–1401; the eastern
window is similar to that in the N. wall, with
tracery of clunch, externally much restored; the
western is a low-side window of one trefoiled light
with moulded jambs and head. The chancel arch
is of the 14th century, restored, and is two-centred,
of two chamfered orders, the outer order continuous, and the inner resting on semi-octagonal
responds with moulded capitals and bases, probably
re-cut when the chancel was re-built; on the W.
side is a plain label with modern stops. The Nave
(43½ ft. by 21 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows;
the eastern window is of late 15th-century date, and
of three cinque-foiled lights under a square head
with pierced spandrels; parts of the mullions and
the moulded external label are modern; further
W. is one jamb and part of the chamfered two-centred rear arch of an early 14th-century window:
the second window is of mid 15th-century date,
and of two trefoiled lights under a square head with
pierced spandrels and a moulded external label;
the mullion is modern; a flat wooden lintel with a
hollow-chamfered edge takes the place of a rear
arch: between the windows is the N. doorway
with moulded jambs and two-centred head, of
early 14th-century date, much restored; the label
is modern, but the head-stops are original. In
the S. wall are three windows; the easternmost is
similar to the corresponding window in the N. wall,
but much restored; near the E. jamb is a fragment
of an early 14th-century window; the second
window is of early 14th-century date and of two
trefoiled lights under a two-centred head, with a
modern external label and restored tracery; the
westernmost window is similar to the second window in the N. wall, and is also much restored: the
S. doorway, between the second and third windows, resembles the N. doorway, but the label has
uncarved stops. The West Tower (9½ ft. by 9 ft.)
is of three stages with an embattled parapet;
between the two upper stages there is a string-course only on the N. and E. sides; in the S.W.
angle is a staircase. All the detail is of late
15th-century date. The two-centred tower arch
is of two chamfered orders, with square jambs.
The W. doorway has heavily moulded jambs and
depressed head, under a moulded external label
with much worn stops; the W. window is of two
cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a two-centred
head, and has a moulded external label with carved
head-stops, one almost worn away; the mullion
is modern. In the S.W. angle, opening into the
staircase, is a small doorway with moulded jambs
and four-centred head; one jamb has been
restored. In the second stage, in the E. wall,
is a small doorway with a straight-sided head,
opening on to the roof of the nave; the S. and W.
walls have each a small loop light opening into the
staircase. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a
window of two trefoiled lights under a square
head with a moulded external label; the mullions
are modern. The Roof of the chancel is of trussed
rafter construction of late 15th or early 16th-century date, restored; there is a moulded cornice
on each side wall, and at the W. end is a plain
tie-beam. The flat-pitched roof of the nave has
one 15th-century moulded tie-beam, mortised for
wall-brackets, which are now missing; on the W.
face of the beam are initials and a date, apparently
Fittings—Bells: five and sanctus; 1st by Ellis
Knight, 1637; 3rd by Robert Atton, 1623; 4th
inscribed 'Robert Atton. Nathaniel Bolter, 1628';
5th inscribed 'In Multis Annis Resonet Campana
Johannis', probably by Roger Landen, mid
15th-century; sanctus, blank, possibly by one
of the Chandlers, 17th or 18th-century. Book:
At vicarage—Bible, of 1613, black-letter. Bracket
(or corbel): In nave—on N. wall, at E. end, high
up, square, double-chamfered. Chair: In chancel
—with carved back and top rail, shaped arms,
turned legs and arm-supports, plain foot rail,
late 17th-century. Communion Table: of oak,
with large turned legs, moulded top rail with
inscription 'Annis Hopper 1625' at N. end, moulded
foot rail, top modern; formerly at Middle Claydon
church. Locker: In chancel—in E. wall, at N. end,
rectangular, rebated; oak door with moulded
panel and two strap-hinges with floriated ends.
Piscinae: In chancel—in S. wall, with chamfered
jambs and cinque-foiled two-centred head, cinquefoil basin with projecting moulded edge, c. 1400.
In nave—in remaining jamb of 14th-century window in S. wall, angle piscina, with
plain angle-mullion, ogee head in wall and
pointed head in splay, cinquefoil basin, early
14th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1569. Miscellanea: In chancel—alabaster panel (15 in. by
9¾ in.) with representation of the Crucifixion and
four or more attendant figures, top of panel coved,
probably part of a reredos, slight indication of
colouring on background, alabaster very white,
15th-century, was built into gable of a farmhouse
in the village, badly weathered, legs of the figure
of Christ broken away; chrismatory, consisting
of rectangular box, 6 in. long, of pewter, with
'lion' feet at three corners (fourth missing), fitted
with three removable cups, two cups retain lids,
knobs missing; attached to each lid a hook for the
tow with which the oil was administered, tow
remains in the bottom of each cup, and though
dry, brown and friable, still appears oily; of
gabled lid of box two fragments remain, the larger
with flat flowered cresting, and two bits of the
sloping sides, now pressed together; part of hinge,
with pin, remains on box; 15th-century, found
during a restoration, built into E. wall of nave, S.
of chancel arch; stone fragment, apparently part
of four-centred head of fireplace, with carved
frieze and part of jamb, late 15th or early 16th-century.
Condition—Good, except W. doorway which is
These buildings are of two storeys and of the
17th century, considerably restored; they are
almost all of brick and timber; the roofs are
The Hoggeston road, S. side
b(2). Cottage, 60 yards N.E. of the church, is of
the central chimney type, with modern additions
on the E. and N. The front is covered with
rough-cast. The central stack has square shafts
built of early 17th-century brick.
b(3). Cottage, 180 yards E.N.E. of the church.
One chimney is of old thin bricks.
b(4). Cottage, 140 yards E. of (3). The walls
are partly covered with plaster. The plan is
L-shaped. A large chimney stack at the E. end,
and two small square chimneys are of 17th-century
brick. Interior:—On the ground floor is a large
open fireplace, partly filled in. One room, now
sub-divided, has a large chamfered ceiling-beam
and exposed joists.
b(5–6). Cottages, two, opposite to (3). The
walls in front are of modern brick, the other walls
are partly covered with rough-cast. The buildings
are of the central chimney type, with stacks built
of 17th-century brick. Interior:—In each cottage
is a large fireplace, one partly blocked, and the
ceilings have old beams.
b(7). Cottages, a range of three, opposite to the
N. side of the church and set back from the road.
At the E. end is a modern addition and in front
the lower storey is almost entirely of modern
brick. One chimney stack has four grouped shafts,
built of 17th-century brick, and a small square
chimney is possibly also original. Two rooms have
each a large open fireplace.
b(8). Cottage, now two tenements, opposite to
the N. side of the church, has a modern addition
at the back. The central chimney stack is of late
The North Marston road, W. side
b(9). Cottage, opposite to the W. end of the
church, has been entirely re-faced with modern
brick, except the central chimney stack, which is
of the 17th century.
b(10). Cottage, now a shop, about 40 yards
N.W. of (9). The plan is L-shaped. One chimney
is of 17th-century brick.
b(11). The Sovereign Inn, 240 yards N.N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys, built late in the
16th or early in the 17th century. The walls are
partly covered with rough-cast or cement, and
partly of modern brick; the roofs are tiled. The
plan was originally T-shaped, the short central
wing projecting towards the N.; a modern addition
has been built in the N.E. angle. Over the central
wing is an original chimney stack with square
shafts set diagonally on a rectangular base moulded
at the top. Interior:—One room has a large
ceiling-beam and an open fireplace, and some of
the other rooms have original ceiling-beams.
Condition—Fairly good; the cement is cracking
These cottages are of two storeys, built of brick
and timber in the 17th century, and are of the
central chimney type, with small modern additions.
The roofs are thatched.
b(12). Cottage, about 180 yards N. of (11).
At the back is a modern addition.
b(13). Cottage, about 60 yards S.W. of (12).
The walls have been restored with modern brick.
b(14). Cottage, about 80 yards S. of (13).
The walls are covered with modern rough-cast.
Condition—Of all the cottages, good.
b(15). Rookery Farm, ¼ mile N.W. of the
church, is a house of two storeys, built of brick and
timber, probably early in the 17th century, and
much restored with modern brick in front; at the
back are 18th-century or modern additions. The
roofs are tiled. Interior:—One room has a plain
ceiling-beam, and another room has a moulded beam
with a moulded stop. The cellar at the W. end
of the house has an old ceiling-beam; the E. wall
is timber-framed, with plaster filling, which retains
traces of painted lozenges, foliage, etc.
A barn E. of the house is of the 17th century.
The walls are timber-framed, partly with filling of
thin bricks, and partly weather-boarded.
a(16). Tumulus, or site of windmill, on Millknob
Hill, is about 60 ft. in diameter and 4 ft. high.
a(17). Enclosure, in Biggin Field, ¾ mile N. of
the church, is said to mark the site of the former
farm or Manor house of Biggin. The enclosure is
pear-shaped, and is surrounded partly by a bank
and partly by a ditch. The surface of the field
shows traces of other enclosures, and further W.,
running parallel to the field boundary, is a straight
line of entrenchment consisting of a strong rampart
and ditch, with gaps, resembling embrasures, in
Condition—Of enclosure, poor; of line of entrenchment, good.