140. GREAT WOOLSTONE.
(O.S. 6 in. x. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of the Holy Trinity,
at the S. end of the village, was re-built in 1839, but
contains, from the former church, the following:—
Fittings—Bells: one, by Anthony Chandler,
1679. Font: circular bowl with four attached
shafts having scalloped capitals and chamfered
bases, brought from the church of St. Cuthbert,
Bedford, 12th-century, brick pedestal modern.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Floor-slabs: In
nave—(1) to George, son of George Dudly, 1697;
(2) to Ketura, daughter of George Dudly, 1695;
(3) to [Ge]orge, son of John Gilpin, 1683; (4) to
Ann, daughter of John Gilpin, 1694; (5) to George
Dudly, 1699; all have been slightly reduced in
size. Plate: includes cup of 1569. Seating: In
nave—at W. end, on S. side, one seat with traceried
N. standard partly cut away, S. standard, plain
and narrow, back rail moulded, early 16th-century.
Condition—Fairly good; of seating, poor; of
font, damaged, and now painted.
Main road, W. side
(2). Farmhouse, about 100 yards N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, built towards the end
of the 17th century, and apparently timber-framed,
but entirely covered with plaster. The roofs are
tiled. The plan is of F-shape, the long range running N. and S., and the two short wings extending
towards the E. The range is divided in the middle
by a large chimney stack; S. of the stack are the
hall and staircase, the parlour and a smaller room;
N. of the stack are also three rooms, forming
kitchens and offices. Each wing contains one
room on each floor. Elevations:—Under the
eaves is a plain cornice with mutules; the principal
doorway, on the E. front, is probably of c. 1700,
and has a shell canopy carried on carved modillions.
Many of the windows are original, and have plain
wooden frames and mullions, leaded glass and
metal casements, and some of them also retain
wrought iron furniture. The N. half of the central
chimney stack is original, the S. half apparently
of c. 1700, or later date. The chimney stack at
the N. end of the house has a string-course of
Interior:—The hall has a large ceiling-beam
enclosed in panelling, which is probably of c. 1700;
the walls are lined with bolection-moulded panelling in two stages, also of c. 1700; the fireplace is
surrounded by a heavy moulding and is now
blocked; the floor is paved with stone, set in a
diamond pattern. The staircase is of c. 1700, and
has twisted balusters, a close string and a plain
moulded handrail without ramps. The room on
the ground floor in the S.E. wing is lined with
panelling similar to that in the hall. The two
kitchens have plain chamfered ceiling-beams and
(3). Cottage, 140 yards N. of (2), is of two storeys
and of the central chimney type, built late in the
16th or early in the 17th century, with a modern
extension and porch at the N. end of the E. front.
The walls are timber-framed, with brick filling,
partly restored and partly whitewashed; at the
S. end the lower storey is of modern brick. Some
of the window frames are original. The central
chimney stack is of thin bricks, and has a rectangular shaft with small square pilasters on all sides;
the top has been restored with modern brick.
Interior:—On the ground floor the N. room has
an open timber ceiling, and a large open fireplace
with a stop-chamfered lintel; the S. room has
stop-chamfered beams in the ceiling, an open
fireplace with traces of corner seats, and an oven
now converted into a boiler. On the first floor is
a fireplace with a three-centred arch.
(4). The Cross Keys Inn, 100 yards N. of (3),
is of two storeys, built in the 17th century, with
modern additions at the back. The walls are of
stone, except the gable at the N. end, and the W.
wall, which are timber-framed with brick filling.
The roofs are thatched. Two of the chimneys
are apparently of late 17th-century date. Interior:
Some of the ceilings have chamfered beams, and
there is one wide fireplace, partly blocked.
(5). House, 130 yards N.W. of the church, is
of two storeys, built of stone in the second half
of the 17th century. The roofs are tiled. The
plan is L-shaped, with the wings extending towards
the N. and E. Each wing has a chimney stack
of original brick, restored at the top. Interior:—
Some of the ceilings have stop-chamfered beams;
in the kitchen is a wide, open fireplace, and a
similar fireplace in another room has been partly