(O.S. 6 in. (a)iv. N.W. (b)iv. S.W. (c)iv. S.E.)
c(1). Parish Church of St. James, stands at
the S. end of the village; the walls are of limestone
rubble, with roughly squared blocks of stone in the
S. aisle, and much ironstone in the S. porch; the
walls of the tower and the dressings of the chancel
are of ashlar. The roofs are covered with slate and
lead. The Chancel and probably an aisleless Nave
were built c. 1170, and the North and South Aisles
were added in the 13th century; at the end of the
century the North Chapel or vestry was added and
the E. wall of the chancel re-built. The S. aisle was
lengthened one bay towards the W. early in the
14th century. The N. aisle and N. chapel were
widened early in the 15th century; the West Tower
and spire were added a little later; the nave
arcades were re-built and the North and South
Porches added at the end of the same century. In
the 19th century the spire was almost entirely
re-built, and the whole building was considerably
restored in 1904–1905.
The church is a large building of elaborate
detail, and the spire is an uncommon feature in
Buckinghamshire; the 12th-century work is of
great interest, although it has been much restored.
Hanslope, the Parish Church of St James the Great.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41½ ft.
by 19 ft.) has an E. window of five lights, all modern,
except the internal splay and rear arch, and the
external label, which are of late 13th-century date.
In the N. wall, about 7 ft. from the E. end, high up,
is an oblong socket, possibly for the beam at the
back of an altar: W. of the socket, also high up,
is a window of c. 1170, much restored and now
opening into the N. chapel; it has a wide splay and
round head, externally chamfered, and the voussoirs
are carved with three leaves; the internal label
and string-course are modern, probably copies of
the original work: under the window is a late
13th-century doorway, much restored: at the W.
end of the wall, opening into the N. aisle, is a late
13th-century arch, widened towards the W. at a
later date; it is of obtuse two-centred form,
and of three chamfered orders; the chamfered
jambs have semi-octagonal pilasters with crudely
moulded capitals. The S. wall retains almost
entirely the 12th-century design, considerably
restored; it has an external arcading of six bays,
separated by half-round columns, which are
carried up to the roof, and have enriched capitals
and moulded bases; the coping of the wall
projects and is supported in each bay by the
columns and by three grotesque corbels; in each
bay but the westernmost is a shallow recess with a
round head and a continuous edge-roll which has
moulded bases; five of the recesses each contained
originally a round-headed window similar to that
in the N. wall, with a moulded external sill-course,
carried under the windows and broken round the
columns and edge-rolls; in the third and sixth bays
the sill-course has been removed: the easternmost,
second and fourth windows remain, but are almost
entirely restored; the window in the third bay was
replaced in the 14th century by a window of two
lights under a two-centred head, now completely
restored. In the fifth bay the recess has no
edge-roll, and the window is blocked; below the
sill-course is an original doorway with a round head
of two orders and a moulded and enriched label;
the outer order has zig-zag ornament and formerly
rested on circular shafts, of which only the capitals
remain, and are much defaced; the inner order has
a continuous edge-roll and a form of horse-shoe
ornament. The recess in the sixth bay was completely destroyed in the 13th century, when a low-side window with a two-centred head was inserted;
the lower part of the window has an internal rebate
for a shutter, added at a later date. All the
arcading has been considerably restored, and the
capitals of the columns are modern; at the S.E.
corner the original work was destroyed when the
E. wall was re-built late in the 13th century, and the
off-set buttresses are also of the 13th century. The
12th-century chancel arch is semi-circular, of one
square order on the E. side, and of four square
orders on the W. side; the innermost order rests on
half-round engaged shafts having enriched scalloped
capitals with enriched abaci, which have been cut
to fit a screen; the other orders have smaller three-quarter round shafts, which have enriched capitals,
with the abaci continued from the inner shafts;
the moulded bases are much defaced. The North
Chapel or Vestry (23 ft. by 10½ ft.) has, in the E.
wall, a late 13th-century window of three uncusped
lights under a two-centred head. In the N. wall
are two windows, each of two lights, of the same
date and design as that in the E. wall, but re-set;
in the eastern window round heads have been added
under the pointed heads of the lights: W. of the
windows is a rough doorway with a wooden frame,
probably inserted in the 18th century. On the S.
wall, towards the W. end, are the remains of one
and a half bays of the original N. arcading of the
chancel, formerly external and similar to the S.
arcading; the half-round engaged columns have
been cut back, but one original capital and several
grotesque corbels remain in situ; the eastern recess
contains the original N. window and the late 13th-century N. doorway of the chancel. In the W.
wall, opening into the N. aisle, is a rough doorway
with a flat head. The Nave (63½ ft. by 25 ft.) has
several late 15th-century gargoyles under the plain
parapet; one is carved as the Warwick badge,
and another as a man's figure wearing a liripipe
hat or turban, a pleated tunic and trunk-hose;
others are carved as grotesque birds. The N. and
S. arcades are of late 15th-century date, and each
of four bays; the two-centred arches are of two
chamfered orders, carried on slender piers, each
with two semi-octagonal pilasters which have
moulded capitals and bases; the outer order is
continuous. At the E. end of the S. wall is a slight
projection, forming part of a stair-turret (see
S. aisle); in the splayed face of the projection
is the doorway of the rood-loft. The clearstorey
has, on each side, four windows of late 15th-century date, each of two cinque-foiled lights
with a quatrefoil under a four-centred head and
an external label with large stops, carved as grotesque heads, some having liripipe hoods. The
North Aisle (E. bay 19 ft. wide, rest 17½ ft.
wide) extends one bay E. of the nave, the W.
half of the bay being filled by a burial vault,
originally erected c. 1700, and re-built in the 19th
century. In the E. wall, high up, is a 16th-century
window of two uncusped lights under a flat head.
In the N. wall are four windows: the two eastern
are of early 15th-century date, and each of five
cinque-foiled lights with cusped tracery under a
square head and label: the third window is of late
13th-century date, re-set, and of two uncusped
lights with uncusped tracery in a two-centred head;
the rear arch and internal label are moulded, and
the splay has shafts with moulded capitals and
bases; set in and above the external label are three
12th-century grotesque head-corbels: the fourth
window is a 13th-century lancet, re-set, externally
chamfered and rebated, and with an indented label:
between the two western windows is a doorway of
early 14th-century date, re-set; the jambs and
two-centred head are continuously moulded. In
the S. wall, at the E. end, over the arch opening
into the chancel, are some of the 12th-century corbels and remains of the capitals of the N. arcading
of the chancel, formerly external. In the W. wall
is a 16th-century window of three uncusped lights
under a flat head; N. of the window are remains of
a circular opening of uncertain date, now blocked,
and only internally visible; above the window, on
the N. side, is a 12th-century corbel, built into the
wall. The South Aisle (14 ft. wide) has, at the
N.E. corner, a 15th-century square turret with a staircase leading to the roof of the nave, and formerly
also to the rood-loft; the turret has a plain
parapet and a string-course with carved grotesque
animals at the angles. In the E. wall of the aisle
is a 16th-century window of three uncusped lights
under a flat head; the rear arch is two-centred,
and is possibly all that remains of an opening of
earlier date. In the N.E. corner, opening into the
turret, is a 15th-century doorway with moulded
jambs and a four-centred head, from which the
mouldings have been cut away. In the S. wall are
three windows; the easternmost is of the 15th century, and of three cinque-foiled lights with uncusped
tracery under a flat head; the middle window is of
the 14th century, and of two trefoiled lights with a
quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the third window
is of mid 13th-century date, and of two lancet
lights externally chamfered and rebated, and with
a moulded rear arch which has shafted internal
jambs; W. of the third window there is a straight
joint in the walling: between the two western windows is the 15th-century S. doorway, which has a
two-centred head of one chamfered order and a
moulded label. In the W. wall is a 16th-century
window, similar to the window in the E. wall,
but of cruder workmanship. The West Tower
(16½ ft. by 15½ ft.) is of five stages with a moulded
plinth, a stair-turret in the N.W. corner, square
buttresses, an embattled parapet, and a stone spire
of moderate height; under the parapet is a string-course set with small grotesque beasts, and with a
large projecting gargoyle on each wall; the buttresses are panelled at the top and surmounted by
finialled pinnacles of considerable height; from the
pinnacles spring the pierced flying buttresses of the
octagonal spire, which has crocketed angles and, in
four sides, small dormer windows, some of them with
tracery. The whole tower is of the 15th century,
except the spire, which is almost entirely modern.
The tower arch is of three chamfered orders; the
two outer orders are continuous; the innermost
order of the jambs has engaged round shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. The W. doorway is
of two moulded orders, the inner order two-centred,
the outer square; above the doorway is a window
with an original opening, but modern mullions and
transom. The ground stage was originally vaulted,
but only the wall-arches and the spring of the
vaulting remain. The third stage has, in each
wall, a window of two trefoiled lights under a square
head. In each wall of the fourth stage is a quatrefoil opening set in a square reveal; that in the N.
wall is covered by the clock. The bell-chamber
has, in each wall, coupled windows, each of two
cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the heads are enclosed by a
square label. The North Porch (10 ft. by 9½ ft.)
has a plain parapet. All the detail is of late 15th-century date. The outer entrance has continuously
moulded jambs and straight-sided four-centred
head; over it is a species of knot carved in stone.
The South Porch (9 ft. by 8½ ft.) also has a plain
parapet. The outer entrance is of late 15th-century date, but has been much restored; the jambs
are square; the pointed head, of one heavy chamfered order, is of ironstone. The Roof of the nave
(see Plate, p. 41) is low-pitched, and probably of late
15th or early 16th-century date; it is of six bays
with seven trusses, which have plain chamfered
tie-beams, roughly cut, with curved struts under
the beams; three of them have been strengthened
with extra pieces under the ends; above the beams
are plain king-posts and curved struts; the two
eastern bays were restored in 1770, as recorded on
the easternmost tie-beam; the purlins and ridge
are chamfered, some of the rafters are original and
are roughly stop-chamfered; all the trusses, except
the S. end of the easternmost truss, had stone corbels, but only three of them remain; they are
carved as angels, each holding a musical instrument
or a shield. The roofs of the N. chapel and N. aisle
are modern, except a moulded 15th-century principal in a line with the E. wall of the nave, which
has mortice holes in the soffit, probably for a former
partition or screen. The N. porch has a low-pitched 15th-century roof, with moulded ridge and
cross principals; the W. wall-plate is dated 1765,
probably recording a restoration of the roof.
Fittings—Bells: six, 5th by Robert Atton, 1626.
Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In N. chapel—in
slab of Purbeck marble, (1) to —Troughton, and
his wife, daughter of —Hampden, inscription in
English verse, composed by their son Richard
Troughton, probably late 16th or early 17th-century. In nave—at E. end, in grey stone slab, (2)
indents of man in armour and two women in pedimental head-dresses, from the mouths of the
women brass scrolls inscribed with prayers, partly
broken, in the upper corners of slab two shields of
lead charged with a fesse (of brass) with three boars'
heads thereon, indent of inscription plate, probably
of c. 1530, lower part of slab cut away; at W. end,
in slab of Purbeck marble, (3) of Mary, daughter of
Thomas Birchmore, 1602, tapering plate with figure
of child in Elizabethan dress, Latin inscription in
Roman capitals. Indents: In chancel—in grey
stone slab, (1) figure of priest, and inscription
plate, late 15th or early 16th-century, on slab two
incised 18th-century inscriptions; (2) half-figure
of priest, and inscription plate, late 15th or early
16th-century, on slab incised 18th-century inscription; in large slab, (3) full-length figure of priest in
Mass vestments, his head resting on cushion, under
cinque-foiled and sub-trefoiled ogee canopy with
crockets and finials, flanked by buttresses with
crocketed pinnacles, marginal inscription with (?)
symbols of the Evangelists, at the four corners,
late 14th or early 15th-century; (4) of civilian in
hood and gown, under crocketed canopy, flanked
by buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, marginal
inscription, slab in two pieces, shortened by some
inches, top of head of figure missing, probably early
15th-century. Doors: In S. aisle—at foot of
stair-turret, plain oak, with strap-hinges, 15th-century. In tower—at foot of stair-turret, with
plain strap-hinges, mid 15th-century. Glass: In
N. aisle—in tracery of two eastern windows in N.
wall, white with yellow foliage, in one of the lights
small fragment, all 15th-century. Lockers: In
chancel—three, all rebated for doors, one retaining
iron hook for hinge. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In chancel—under the communion
table, (1) part of heavy oak coffin, in one piece, dug
up in the churchyard. In S. aisle—on sill of S.E.
window, (2) stone coffin-lid, with raised ornament,
half worn away, 13th-century, found under the
floor of the church. In S. porch—set in W. wall,
(3) octagonal stone, with cross in relief in round
sunk panel, probably part of a coffin-lid, 13th-century. In tower—(4) stone coffins, two, probably 13th-century, found under the floor of the
church. In churchyard—E. of chancel, (5) gravestone to Joane, wife of John Reeve, 1646. Floor-slabs: In chancel—on N. side, (1) to Basill,
son and heir of Sir Nathaniel Brent, 1695;
(2) to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Golding of
Poslingford, Suffolk, 1693. In nave—under E.
arch of N. arcade, (3) part of slab, name illegible,
1694; at W. end, (4) to John Newman, 1716, and
Ann his wife, 1696. In N. aisle—at W. end, (5)
part of slab, inscription in Latin, partly missing, to
Mary, wife of —Castell, chemist, daughter of John
Ha . . . [of] Huntingdon, probably 17th-century.
Paintings: In nave—on wall of stair-turret, representation of the Warwick badge, a bear and ragged
staff, white, on red background, with yellow foliated
ornament, in mouth of bear scroll with traces of
black-letter inscription, 15th-century; on same
wall, above former rood-beam, figure, white, on
blue background, 15th-century; on E. respond of
S. arcade, traces of colour, red; in roof, at E. end,
on second truss, remains of colour, red and black;
on tie-beam quatre-foiled circles in white line, on
king-post black cheveronny lines on white ground,
late 15th or early 16th-century. Piscinae: In
chancel—in range with sedilia, with shafted E.
jamb and detached shaft next to sedilia, moulded
bases and capitals, two-centred trefoiled head,
early 14th-century, sill and label with mask-stops,
modern, no basin. In N. chapel—at E. end of
S. wall, with chamfered jambs and semi-circular
head, carved flowers at springing, and foliage in the
spandrels, circular fluted basin, partly 12th-century
material, re-used. In S. aisle—at E. end of S. wall,
with stop-chamfered jambs and two-centred head,
no basin, 13th-century, in one jamb a shaped stone,
12th-century, re-used. Plate: includes cup of
1621, inscribed 'Hanslope 1623'. Recesses: In
N. aisle—in N. wall, with stop-chamfered jambs
and chamfered drop arch, probably 14th-century,
label apparently cut away. In S. aisle—in S. wall,
with shafted jambs, moulded bases and capitals,
two-centred arch of two orders, the inner order
cinque-foiled and chamfered, the outer moulded and
with band of dog-tooth ornament, plain two-centred
label, c. 1260, label damaged. Sedilia: In chancel
—in range with piscina, three seats under trefoiled arches, separated by detached shafts with
moulded bases and capitals, early 14th-century,
labels and one shaft with base modern. Stoup:
In N. aisle—on E. side of N. doorway, with trefoiled head and deep circular basin, 15th-century,
projection of basin cut off. Tiles: In S. aisle—on
sill of W. window, cemented together in three
slabs, fragments with different designs, a horse, a
fleur de lis, etc., 14th or 15th-century, much worn.
Miscellanea: S. aisle—on external jamb of S.W.
window, sundial, fragment; on buttress near the
same window, sundial, traces. In N. chapel—
leading to the Manor pew, stairs, of oak, in two
small flights, with twisted balusters, moulded handrail and plain newels, c. 1700.
Condition—Fairly good; much restored in
parts; roofs of chancel and nave leak.
Homestead Moats (2–4)
c(2). In Hanslope Park.
c(3). At Ivy Farm, 700 yards S.E. of the church,
a(4). At Gordon's Lodge, about 2½ miles N.W.
of the church.
c(5). Rectory Farm, house and moat, 80 yards
S. of the church. The House (see Plate, p. 61) is
of two storeys and an attic, built of stone c. 1600,
enlarged and restored with modern brick. The
roofs are tiled. The original plan is L-shaped,
with the wings extending towards the S. and W.;
the angle between them is filled by a 19th-century
addition. The N. front is of modern brick. At
the S. end of the S. wing is a large original gable
with chamfered coping; on the ground floor is a
window of moulded stone and of four lights with
an external label; on the first floor is a similar
window of four lights, with a moulded transom;
the attic is lighted by an original window of three
lights, similar to that on the ground floor. On the
E. side of the house, on the ground floor, is an
original window of one light, with moulded jambs
and head; on the first floor are two windows
similar to that on the ground floor, but both are
blocked and one of them is of two lights with a
moulded mullion; two large projecting chimney
stacks are of stone, with shafts of modern brick.
Of the Moat only fragments remain, in a field
S.E. of the house.
Condition—Of house, fairly good; walls cracked
and weak in places, particularly at the S.E. end,
where there is some ivy on one of the chimneys;
there are two bolts in the S.W. wall.
These buildings are nearly all of two storeys, and
of the 17th century, altered at later dates. The
walls are of stone; the roofs generally are thatched.
Many of the plans are rectangular.
Main street, N.E. side
c(6). House, at the corner of Newport Road,
about 100 yards E.N.E. of the church. In front
are four original windows with stone frames and
labels; the mullions are missing; between the
two upper windows is a tablet bearing the initials
and date 'H.H.A. 1624.' At the N.W. end of the
building is an original window, now blocked. At
the back are modern additions.
A malthouse, N. of the house, is of early 17th-century date, built of stone, and now used as a
c(7). Cottage, now three tenements, 400 yards
N. of the church. The plan is L-shaped. Some
of the windows have old metal casements. The
chimney stacks are of 17th-century brick.
c(8). House, about 300 yards N.W. of the church.
Some of the windows have old casements. Two
of the chimney stacks are of the 17th century;
one of them has two square shafts of brick on a
stone base. The house has been enlarged at the
back. Interior:—The ceiling-beams are original;
and there are wide fireplaces, now blocked.
c(9). House, about 180 yards N.N.W. of the
church. The front is gabled, and has a doorway
of moulded oak with a depressed head and a nail-studded oak door; two of the windows have stone
labels; in the head of the gable are the initials
and date 'H.N.—A.N. 1646.' In the S. wall is
a window with a moulded frame. Two of the
chimney stacks are original. Interior:—In the
ceilings are chamfered beams, and there is one wide
c(10). The Green Man Inn, about 100 yards
N. of the church, is of two storeys and an attic.
The roof is tiled. At the back is an addition
built of modern brick. In front, on the ground
floor, the windows have original stone labels. At
the back is a window of two lights, now blocked.
Interior:—On the first floor are three oak-panelled
doors of early 17th-century date; the upper
panels of two of them are carved with a semi-circular pattern and leaf ornament. The floorboards and the treads of the stairs are of old oak.
In the attic is an old door of oak battens with
c(11). House, now two tenements, opposite to
the Greyhound Inn, and 1 mile E. of the
church, is of two storeys and an attic, facing E.
Many of the windows are original and have stone
mullions; the N. and E. windows have labels. At
the back a window, on the first floor, is blocked,
and a small outbuilding has been added. The
central chimney stack is original. Interior:—In
one tenement there is an open fireplace.
c(12). Tathall End Farm, house and dovecot,
400 yards N. of (11). The House is of two storeys
and an attic; the roof is tiled. It was built
possibly in 1602, the date inscribed on the dovecot;
the date 1625, inscribed on a stone in the S. gable
of the house, probably records a slight extension,
which is also indicated by a change in the masonry
at the S. end. The N. and S. gables have chamfered copings and shaped kneelers; in the N. gable
is an original window of two lights, with jambs,
head and mullion of moulded stone; over the
same gable is an original chimney stack of stone,
with two square shafts having moulded caps,
set on a rectangular base moulded at the top.
Two other chimney stacks have original bases of
stone and shafts of modern brick.
Interior:—On the ground floor the ceilings have
chamfered beams with moulded stops, and many
of the floors are of old oak boards; in one room is
a large open fireplace. On the first floor, at the N.
end, is an original fireplace with moulded jambs
and depressed head, of stone, now partly blocked.
In the attic are visible the roof-trusses, of large
timbers pegged together; the truss over the
staircase has a collar-beam with curved chamfered
brackets, and was apparently originally open to
the first floor.
The Dove-cot, at the N. end of the house, is a
square building with walls of stone rubble; the
roof is tiled. In the E. wall, over the doorway, is
a stone inscribed 'T.B. 1602.' Interior:—On the
upper floor the walls are lined with recesses and
ledges for the doves.
c(13). The Manor Farm, about ¾ mile S.E. of
the church. The house is partly of three and partly
of two storeys. The 17th-century building is
rectangular, but an E. wing was added in the 18th
century, making the plan T-shaped, and in the S.E.
angle between the wing and the main block is a
low modern addition. The roofs are covered with
tiles and slate. The original part of the house, on
the S. front, is gabled and has three stone-mullioned
windows, one on each floor; in the W. wall are five
mullioned windows, now blocked; in the E. wall,
at the N. end, is a window, now blocked, and a
doorway; the rest of the wall is covered by the
18th-century and modern additions.
c(14). Green End Farm, ½ mile W. of the
church. The house is of two storeys, with a
cellar, and was built late in the 16th or early in the
17th century. The roofs are covered with tiles and
slate. The plan is now T-shaped; the central
wing projects towards the S., with an addition,
possibly of late 17th-century date, on the E. side;
the plan was probably originally H-shaped, with
a former S. wing which has been pulled down.
The central wing, or original hall, contains, at
the N. end, a small entrance lobby with a staircase; in the transverse wing is the kitchen and
another room, sub-divided by modern partitions.
Many of the windows are original, with stone mullions and labels. N. Elevation:—The small porch
is of stone, and the entrance doorway has an old
wooden frame under a depressed head: on the
ground floor is a window of three lights; on the
first floor one window is of three lights, two of
them being blocked; in the other window the
mullions are missing. W. Elevation:—The end
of the transverse wing is gabled, and has on the
ground floor a window with plain metal casements; the central wing has two mullioned windows. S. Elevation:—The central wing is gabled;
on the ground floor is a straight joint, probably
marking the position of a former doorway, and
towards the E. end is a doorway with a frame of
moulded oak; on the first floor is another doorway,
indicating the existence of the former S. wing.
The later addition has a doorway with a panelled
oak door, much repaired. E. Elevation:—The
roof is brought low down, and at the N. end of
the central wing is a doorway with an original
door of panelled oak, inserted under the label
of a former window. A window on the ground
floor of the transverse wing has had the mullions removed. The chimney stacks are of stone
and much restored.
Interior:—The staircase, in the entrance lobby,
has newel posts and balusters apparently of c. 1700.
The hall has, in the S. wall, a fireplace with moulded
stone jambs and carved spandrels under a square
head; in the E. wall, now opening into the E.
addition, is a doorway with an old oak frame, and
in the same wall is a mullioned window of three
lights, now blocked; in the ceiling is a massive
beam slightly moulded at one end. The kitchen
has a large open fireplace, with a rounded arch,
and in the ceiling is a large beam similar to that
in the hall. The staircase to the cellar retains an
old newel-post. On the first floor are two early
17th-century doors with oak panels.
Part of the wall surrounding the house is probably contemporary with it, and has a moulded
Condition—Fairly good; the N. front is in bad
c(15). Hales Folly Farm, 1,150 yards N.W.
of the church. The plan of the house is L-shaped,
the wings extending towards the N. and W. with a
modern extension in the angle between them. The
S. front was re-faced with brick in 1751, as recorded
on a tablet in the wall. The roofs are covered with
tiles and slate. The chimney stacks are of 17th-century brick. Interior:—Some of the ceilings
have original beams: the open fireplaces have been
c(16). Cottages, a range of three, on the N.E.
side of the road, 1,600 yards N.W. of the church.
One chimney stack is original, and has a stone base
with two square shafts built of brick, and set
diagonally. Interior:—Some of the rooms have
chamfered ceiling-beams, and there is one large
c(17). House, on the S.W. side of the road, 300
yards N.W. of (16). The plan is T-shaped; some
of the old casement windows remain, and one
chimney stack with a stone base is original; the
roofs are tiled. Interior:—The ceiling-beams are
original, and there is a wide fireplace with a wooden
lintel, partly blocked.
b(18). Pindon Manor, at Pindon End, about
1½ miles W.N.W. of the church, is a house of two
storeys and an attic; the walls are of stone; the
roofs are tiled. It was built on a rectangular plan,
facing S., c. 1656, the date inscribed on a tablet at
the back of the house; two wings projecting
towards the N. were added probably in the 18th
century, making the plan of half-H shape. Nearly
all the windows in the main block are original, of
four, three or two lights, and of stone. The S.
front has a gable at each end; the doorway in the
middle is original and has moulded stone jambs and
square head. In the E. wall is visible the straight
joint between the original block and the wing. In
the W. wall one window has an old metal casement.
At the back the original block is gabled, and in the
head of the gable is the stone dated 1656. The
chimney stacks are partly of old stone.
Interior:—The walls on each side of the entrance
hall are very thick and probably contain old fireplaces.
Condition—Good; much altered internally.