10 EALING (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XV, S.E.)
Ealing is a parish and borough adjoining that of
Acton on the W.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary, in the S. part of
the parish, was entirely re-built in 1866. It contains
from the older building the following:—
Fittings—Brass: In nave—on N. wall, of Richard
Amondesham (or Awnsham), c. 1490, and Kateryn his
wife, kneeling figures of man in civil costume, wife,
three sons and six daughters, one shield-of-arms.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel
—on W. wall, (1) to Richard Taverner, vicar, 1638,
erected by his widow Elizabeth, alabaster tablet (Plate 13)
with scrolled frame, hour-glass and skull and cross-bones.
In nave—on E. wall, (2) to John Bowman, B.D.
chancellor of St. Paul's and vicar, 1629, marble tablet
with moulded frame. In W. tower—on S. wall,
(3) to Jane [Noreworthy], widow of [W.] Rawlinson,
, marble tablet dated 1713 with fluted pilasters,
Doric entablature and shield-of-arms. Floor-slabs:
In W. narthex—(1) to Elizabeth, wife of John Maynard,
1654–5, with added modern inscription; (2) to Jane
(Noreworthy), widow of W. Rawlinson, 1712, with
lozenge-of-arms. Plate (Plate 22): includes a seal-topped
spoon of 1598, a cup of 1674 with repousse ornament
including the Holy Family and Christ with the woman of
Samaria, a paten of the same character and probably of
the same date, with later foot, a dish also with repousse
ornament and an added centre-piece of 1773, a cup,
flagon and two dishes all of 1684 and given in 1685.
Scratchings: On monument (3)—the scratched names
I. Berisford and John Deane of Heston, 17th or 18th-century.
(2) Rochester House, now the Convent of the
Sacred Heart, 1,000 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of
three storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are
tiled. It is said to have been built by John Pearce who
bought the estate c. 1712. Later in the 18th-century a
second block of equal size was added on the S.W. The
garden-front has segmental-headed windows and a
wooden cornice on which a later parapet has been
added; the central doorway has a moulded frame and a
small wooden porch with side-pilasters, cornice and
(3) Range of two cottages, immediately S. of the
churchyard, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick
and the roof is tiled. It was built probably early in
the 18th century and has been partly heightened.
(4) Cottage, 70 yards N.W. of the church, is of
two storeys; the walls are partly timber-framed and
partly refaced in brick. It was built probably in the
17th century as an outbuilding and has been converted
into a cottage.
(5) Cottage, on the E. side of St. Mary's Road,
400 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys with attics;
the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was
built probably late in the 17th century.