15 FINCHLEY (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XI, N.E. (b)XI, S.E.)
Finchley is a parish and borough adjoining the
county of London on the N. The church is the
a(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the S.W.
part of the parish. The walls are of rag-stone rubble
with free-stone dressings and some rag-stone ashlar;
the roofs are slate-covered. Some fragments re-set in
the N. aisle indicate the existence of a church here in
the 12th century, but in the 15th century the whole
structure, including the Chancel, Nave, North Aisle and
West Tower, seems to have been re-built. Some minor
alterations appear to have been made early in the 16th
century. The church was extensively restored in
1872 and the chancel was extended to the E., the S.
wall re-built, the Organ-chamber added and the South
Aisle and arcade built. The arches of the N. arcade,
with the clearstorey above, were also re-built. In 1932
the Outer South Aisle and Vestries were built.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (40 ft. by
18¼ ft.) has modern E. and S. walls. In the N. wall is
a modern archway; further W. is an arcade of two bays
with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered
orders; the octagonal pier and semi-octagonal responds
have moulded capitals and bases; close to the W. angle
of the wall is the partly blocked round-headed doorway
to the former rood-loft.
The North Chapel (22½ ft. by 14¾ ft.) has a modern
arch in the E. wall. In the N. wall are two much
restored windows each of two cinque-foiled lights in
a square head with a moulded label.
The Nave (49 ft. by 25¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of four
bays with octagonal columns and semi-octagonal E.
respond with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered
bases; the W. arch springs from a moulded corbel;
the arches and clearstorey are modern; the skewed
wall E. of the arcade has an early 16th-century doorway
with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square
head. In the S. wall is a modern arcade, but the clear-storey above retains four windows each of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental head with a moulded label,
the third is modern and the others partly restored.
The North Aisle (10¾ ft. wide) has in the N. wall
three much-restored windows similar to those in the
N. chapel; the W. wall is modern.
The South Aisles are modern, but re-set in the S.
wall is an early 16th-century doorway with moulded
jambs and four-centred head.
The West Tower (11¼ ft. square) is of four storeys
finished with a restored embattled parapet. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders springing from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals
and bases. The W. doorway has hollow-chamfered
jambs and two-centred head; the W. window in the
second storey is largely restored and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; the
third storey has in the W. wall a window of one trefoiled
light in a square head; there is a similar window in the
S. wall now blocked and partly covered by the clock-face. The bell-chamber has in each wall a restored
window similar to the W. window.
The Roof of the N. chapel is divided into six panels
by early 16th-century moulded beams with similar
wall-plates. The 15th-century roof of the nave is
flat-pitched and of four main bays with five moulded
tie-beams; the tie-beams have curved braces with
trefoiled spandrels and below the junction of the tie-beams and the ridge are small shaped pendants.
Fittings—Brasses: In N. chapel—on floor, (1) to
Richard Prate, 1487, and Joan his wife, effigy of wife
and inscription, man's effigy and groups of children
lost; (2) to William Godolphin, 1575, inscription,
rebus and shield-of-arms, effigy and small plate missing;
on end wall, (3) extract of will of Thomas Sanny, 1509,
inscription only; (4) to Simon Skudemore, 1609,
figure of man in civil dress, wife and achievement-of-arms; on same slab, (5) to Elizabeth (Skudemore),
wife of Nicholas Luke, early 17th-century, figures of
woman, three daughters and shield-of-arms, figure of
man and group of sons missing; (6) to Roger Hayton,
1663, plate with achievement-of-arms and devices;
(7) to Thomas White, 1610–1, and Mary, Martha and
Honnor, his wives, kneeling figure of man in civil
costume at prayer-desk, three wives, three groups of
children and three shields-of-arms set in a marble
slab with a round-headed sinking. In S. aisle—on W.
wall, (8) figure of lady in a veiled head-dress c. 1480;
(9) to William Blakwell and Richard his son, c. 1500,
inscription only. Door: In doorway of tower stair-turret—of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, 17th-century. Font (Plate 9): octagonal bowl of Purbeck
marble with two pointed panels on each face, early
13th-century, stem modern. Monuments and Floor-slabs.
Monuments: In N. chapel, on S.W. wall, (1) to Lt.-Col.
John Searle, 1682, and Anne his daughter, 1681, marble
and slate wall-monument with Ionic side-columns supporting entablature, a scrolled and broken pediment,
and urn; achievement-of-arms and trophy of arms on
apron. In nave—on W. wall, (2) to Alexander Kinge,
1618–9, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 50)
with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk,
Corinthian side-columns supporting entablature, with
putti, central feature with pediment and achievement-of-arms, three other shields-of-arms; (3) to Sir Thomas
Allen, 1681, and Mary (Weld) his wife, 1663–4,
erected by Edward Allen, black and white marble
wall-monument (Plate 65) with drapery, scrolls and
Corinthian side-columns supporting an entablature,
scrolled and broken pediment and urn, achievement-of-arms on apron. In churchyard—S. of S. vestry,
(4) to Mary daughter of John Pelham, 1710, headstone;
N. of N. aisle, (5) to Richard Clewin, 1680, headstone;
(6) to Bridget, wife of Jacob Broad, 1713? headstone.
S. of Tower (7) to Thomasin, wife of John Marsh, 1673,
headstone. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel, (1) to Edward
Allen, 1683, with achievement-of-arms. In S. chapel,
(2) to Thomas Lovel, 1650, with shield-of-arms.
Miscellanea: Incorporated in W. wall of N. aisle—
stone fragments with cheveron-ornament and foliage,
a(2) Church of St. Paul in Long Lane is entirely
modern but has a bell formerly at Hatford, Berkshire,
inscribed "Beatus Venter qui Te portavit," cast in
London c. 1380.
b(3) Homestead Moat, called Bishop's Lodge, on
Highgate Golf Course, nearly 2 m. S.E. of the parish
church, is fragmentary.
a(4) Homestead Moat at the Manor House, ½ m.
S.E. of the parish church, is fragmentary.
a(5) Verandah House on the S.W. side of the
Market Place, 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the parish church, is of
two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th or early
in the 18th century.
b(6) Spaniards Inn, in the extreme S. angle of the
parish, is of three storeys; the walls are of brick and
timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the 17th century but has been extensively altered,
added to and refaced.