19 HAMPTON WICK (C.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXV, N.E. (b)XXV, S.E.)
Hampton Wick is a small town and parish on the W.
bank of the Thames and adjoining Hampton on the E.
Some of the buildings actually in this parish are
described under Hampton Court in Hampton parish.
b(1) Stud House, house and stables in Hampton
Court Park 1,000 yards E. of the palace. The House is
of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and
the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the
18th century, but was extensively altered and added to
in 1817–18. Part of the original S. front is still exposed
and is of five bays with square-headed windows and
an eaves-cornice. Inside the building, the drawing-room has two original fireplaces with moulded stone
surrounds and ornamental iron fire-backs; one of these
has figures of Hercules, Virtue and Voluptas and the
other a figure probably of Charity.
The Stables (Plate 35), E. of the house, form a rectangular block of two storeys; the walls are of brick.
They were built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
century and retain the eaves-cornice, solid framed
windows and two original panelled doors. The stalls
are entered under a continuous timber arcade (Plate 35)
having pillars with moulded caps, round arches and an
entablature. The staircase, at the N. end, has turned
a(2) Lancaster House and York Lodge, house now
in two tenures, on the N. side of Hampton Court Road
580 yards N.E. of the palace, is of two storeys with
attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled.
It was built early in the 18th century, but the roof has
been reconstructed. The windows are square-headed
and there is a brick band between the storeys. Inside
the building is some 18th-century panelling.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys
with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs
are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(3) House, with shops, Nos. 6 and 8 on the E. side
of High Street, Hampton Wick, 65 yards N. of the
bridge-approach retains a fireplace with a moulded
surround and shelf of c. 1700.
a(4) House and shop, No. 16, 20 yards N. of (3), was
built early in the 18th century. The walls are of brick
and the front has a restored eaves-cornice.
a(5) House, now two tenements, Nos. 18 and 20,
immediately N. of (4), has been faced with brick. The
front retains one original window with moulded frame
a(6) Wolsey's Cottage, on the E. side of Lower Teddington Road, 20 yards N. of (5) is of two storeys.
It was built late in the 16th century, but the former N.
cross-wing has been reduced in height. In a modern
addition is a re-set window of c. 1600 with moulded
frame, mullions and transom. Inside the building, the
Drawing Room is lined with original panelling and the
fireplace (Plate 36) is flanked by fluted stone pilasters
supporting a gadrooned shelf; below the shelf is a
bracketed lintel carved with bird-monsters, dolphins,
foliage and a cartouche with knotwork and the initials
I., T.E.S.S.; the oak overmantel is of two bays
divided and flanked by terminal pilasters supporting
an enriched entablature; the bays have ornamental
panels. The Dining Room and corridor are partly
lined with original panelling, made up with modern
work. The well over the entrance-hall has early
18th-century balusters and there is an original moulded
beam on the first floor.
a(7) Hawthorn Lodge, in Bushy Park nearly 1 m. N.
of the palace, is a small brick building, dating probably
from early in the 18th century. The S. front has a
moulded eaves-cornice and there are two original
sash-windows in the E. wall.