24 HARMONDSWORTH (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIX, N.E.)
Harmondsworth is a parish and village 5 m. S. of
Uxbridge. The church, barn (2) and the Grange are
the principal monuments.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 127) stands
on the N. side of the parish. The walls generally are of
flint-rubble with dressings of Reigate and some Barnack
stone; the upper part of the tower is of brick; the
roofs are tiled. The Nave with the S. arcade and South
Aisle were built late in the 12th century. The N.
arcade and Aisle were built and the Chancel probably
enlarged early in the 13th century. The North Chapel
was added probably in the 14th century. Early in
the 15th century the Chancel was largely re-built and
probably lengthened and the S. aisle remodelled.
About 1500 the chancel was widened, its N. arcade
built, the N. chapel heightened and the Tower added;
a beginning was also made in the reconstruction of the
S. arcade of the nave and the chancel-arch was removed.
The church has been extensively restored in modern
times and the Porch and Vestry added.
The church is of some architectural interest including
the chapel roof, and among the fittings the seating
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31½ ft. by
20 ft.) has a much restored early 15th-century E.
window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is an
arcade of c. 1500 and of three bays with moulded
four-centred arches, octagonal piers and a half-octagonal
E. respond, with moulded capitals and bases; this
arcade is continued into the nave. In the S. wall are
two windows, the eastern all modern except for parts
of the splays and rear-arch; the western window is of
similar character to the E. window but of two lights
and much restored; the partly restored doorway is of
early 15th-century date and has hollow-chamfered jambs
and two-centred arch.
Harmondsworth, the Parish Church of St. Mary
The North Chapel (31½ ft. by 10 ft.) has a much
restored E. window of c. 1500 and of three cinque-foiled
lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded
label. In the N. wall are three windows, the easternmost uniform with that in the E. wall and the other two
of the 14th century and each of one trefoiled light,
The Nave (44¾ ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of three
bays mostly of early 13th-century date, with two-centred arches of one chamfered order with a chamfered
label; the piers are cylindrical with moulded bases and
capitals and square abaci; the W. respond has an
attached half-column; the E. bay has been half
re-built with the arcade of the chancel, the two works
meeting at the crown of the arch. The late 12th-century S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred
arches of one chamfered order with a chamfered label;
the cylindrical piers and half-cylindrical E. respond
have scalloped capitals; the arch of the W. bay has
been reconstructed when the tower was built and the
W. pier has been restored. The W. window is modern
except for the splays and rear-arch.
The North Aisle (10 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
three windows, the easternmost of early 16th-century
date and of three four-centred lights in a square head
with a label; the middle window is modern except
for the splays and rear-arch; the westernmost window
is of early 13th-century origin, restored externally and
of one pointed light; the N. doorway is modern.
In the W. wall is a modern window.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has a much restored
15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights in
a square head with a modern label. In the S. wall are
two similar windows, much restored and without labels;
the re-set 12th-century S. doorway (Plate 135) has a round
arch of three orders, the outer with cheveron-ornament,
the middle with a roll-moulding and beak-heads and
the inner with diaper-ornament; the middle order
rests on enriched shafts with scalloped capitals but the
other orders are continued down the jambs.
The South West Tower (11¼ ft. by 12¼ ft.) is of three
stages (Plate 136), the lowest of flint and the two upper of
brick finished with an embattled parapet with pedestal-pinnacles at the angles, all rendered in cement. The
whole structure appears to be of c. 1500. The ground-stage has an E. doorway with chamfered jambs and
four-centred arch. The N. tower-arch is two-centred
with mouldings dying on to the chamfered responds
The S. and W. windows are modern. The upper
stages are of early 16th-century date. The second stage
has, in the S. and W. walls, a window of one elliptical
headed light; W. of the S. window is a sunk panel.
The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two
elliptical-headed lights in an elliptical head, all cement-rendered.
The Roof of the chancel is modern except for one truss
of c. 1500 with a moulded tie-beam and a collar with
curved braces. The roof of the nave is of the 15th
century and of four main bays with king-post trusses;
the king-posts are modern. The early 16th-century
roof (Plate 3) of the N. chapel is of three bays and of
single hammer-beam type with moulded main timbers
and carved pendants to the side-posts; the wall-posts
rest on moulded brackets. The N. aisle has a 15th-century roof of three bays and of simple tie and collar-beam type. The 15th-century pent-roof of the S. aisle
is of three bays.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th by
Bryan Eldridge, 1658. Book: Bible of James I (1611)
with cover of oak and tooled leather. Bracket: In
nave—on haunch of S.E. arch, moulded bracket
probably for front of rood-loft, 15th-century. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Jane (Banckys), widow of
Mathew Cruchfeild, 1683–4. In N. chapel—(2) to
Frances Woosley, 1712, with achievement-of-arms.
In S. aisle—(3) to Richard Combes, 1672, with achievement-of-arms; (4) to Thomas Jordan, 1694–5, with
achievement-of-arms. Font (Plate 9): of Purbeck
marble with octagonal bowl, central and eight small
shafts and chamfered plinth, late 12th-century, repolished. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess (Plate 21) with
cinque-foiled head and part of round drain, 15th-century,
modern stem. In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with
four-centred head, early 16th-century, sill modern.
Seating: In N. aisle, nave and S. aisle, pews (Plate 20)
with panelled standards with enriched buttresses and
moulded rails, continued along panelled backs; buttresses
repeated on back where exposed, early 16th-century.
Sedilia: In chancel—of three bays (Plate 21) with
cinque-foiled arches in square main head, 15th-century.
Stoup: E. of S. doorway—recess with four-centred
head, c. 1500, bowl removed. Sundial: On S. wall of
S. aisle—circular dial. Miscellanea: Incorporated in
N. wall of N. chapel, fragment with diaper-ornament
and in splays of S. doorway, fragments of diapered
(2) Barn and moat, 70 yards W. of the church.
An alien priory, cell to the Benedictine abbey of the
Holy Trinity Rouen was founded here temp. William I;
it passed into the possession of Winchester College in
1391 and to other owners after 1544. The Barn (Plate
140) is a timber-framed building of twelve bays, 190 ft.
by 36 ft., with boarded walls and a tiled roof. It was
built in the 14th or 15th century and has two rows of
posts on stone bases, supporting king-post trusses
with curved braces below the tie-beams; the aisles
have ties at the level of the wall-plate, with curved
braces below and a curved strut above each. Three
bays, the third, seventh and tenth from the S., are
floored and have entrances on the E. The main roof
is continued over the aisles without a break. The
Moat retains only its W. arm, with traces of the enclosure on the N. and S.
Tithe Barn at Harmondsworth
Condition—Of barn, good.
(3) The Grange, house 160 yards S.S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in 1675
on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and E. There are some minor additions. The
exterior has a moulded band between the storeys and a
modillioned eaves-cornice; the windows generally
are of the two-light transomed type, but the lower-range windows on the N. have been carried down to
the ground. The central doorways on the W. and N.
have moulded frames and lights over them; above the
W. doorway is a sunk brick panel with the date 1675;
the S. end of the roof has a wrought iron weather-vane; between the sash-windows at this end is a
painted sun-dial with the date 1695. Inside the
building, the dining-room is lined with re-used early
17th-century panelling with a late 17th-century cornice;
the doorway has an eared architrave, entablature and
key-block. There are several late 17th-century panelled
doors. The original staircase (Plate 37) has symmetrically turned balusters and square newels with ball-terminals and pendants. On the first floor are two fire-places with moulded surrounds, entablatures and panelled
overmantels; a third fireplace has a moulded surround
and shelf. The garden has a brick wall of late 17th-century date and two gate-piers with cornices and
(4) Harmondsworth Hall, 130 yards S. of the
church, has been completely remodelled or re-built in
the 18th century and more recent times, but incorporates a 17th-century chimney-stack, of cruciform
plan set diagonally.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(5) Five Bells Inn, 40 yards S. of the church, has been
much altered and refaced.
(6) House (Plate 28), three tenements, on the S. side
of the street, 100 yards S.E. of the church. The W.
cross-wing was built early in the 16th century but the
main block seems to have been re-built at a later date.
The upper storey projects on the N. front and the
cross-wing has close-set timber-framing, with curved
braces in the upper part.
(7) Cottage, 170 yards E. of (6), has been faced with
(8) Cottage, at the road-junction 300 yards E. of the
church, retains an original door and a door and fire-place of c. 1700.
(9) Cottage, on the N. side of the road 35 yards N.E.
(10) House, 110 yards E.S.E. of the church, has been
incorporated in a larger modern house.
(11) Sun House, S.E. of the churchyard, was built
probably in the 16th century and extended in the 18th
century. Inside the building, the shaped wall-posts
of the original roof-trusses are exposed.
(12) King William Inn, on the S. side of the road at
Sipson, nearly 1 m. E. of the church, has been extensively altered.
(13) Old Magpie Inn (Plate 28), on the S. side of the
road 1¼ m. S.E. of the church, has a thatched roof.
The building has been much altered.
(14) Palmer's Farm, house ½ m. S. of (13), was built,
c. 1600, but has been largely refaced in brick.
(15) Perrott's Farm, house 220 yards S. of (14), has
a cross-wing at the N. end.
(16) Heathrow Farm, house and barns 350 yards
S.S.W. of (15). The House was built late in the 16th
century and has 18th-century and later additions on
the N. side. The house has been refaced in brick.
Inside the building one room has an original moulded
ceiling-beam. There are also two original doors and
a little original panelling with enriched upper panels.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of the 17th century,
timber-framed and of six bays with a porch. A rather
earlier barn adjoins this one on the S.W. To the W. of
the second barn is a third, of four bays, and of late
16th or early 17th-century date.
(17) Cottage, two tenements, 170 yards W. of (16).
(18) Cottage, three tenements, immediately W. of
(17), is thatched.
(19) Cottage, two tenements, 350 yards W. of (18),
has been largely refaced in brick.
(20) Cottage, two tenements, 350 yards W. of (19),
has been much altered and partly re-roofed with iron.
(21) Perry Oaks Farm, house, barns and pigeon-house, 1½ m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is a
brick building, probably of late 16th-century date.
It was remodelled in the 18th century when an addition
was made at the N. end and the W. side perhaps slightly
heightened. The E. side has three gables. In the
house are three doors of 17th and early 18th-century
date. The Barn, N.W. of the house, is timber-framed and probably of the 16th century; it is of
seven bays, with queen-post trusses and a porch. The
barn, W. of the house, has been incorporated in a
larger building. The Pigeon-house, N. of the house,
is a square timber-framed building of the 17th century,
with a pyramidal roof.
(22) House, two tenements, on the S. side of the road
at Longford, 1,100 yards S.S.W. of the church.
(23) House, three tenements, 60 yards W. of (22),
has a cross-wing at the N. end.
(24) College Farm, house, three tenements, on the
N. side of the road 220 yards W. of (23), has been
partly refaced in brick and has a cross-wing at the E.
(25) White Horse Inn, 130 yards S.W. of (24), has
been much altered and refronted in brick.
(26) House, nearly opposite (25), was built in the
16th century with cross-wings at the ends. The
upper storey of the wings probably projected in front,
but has been under-built, and the N. wing has been
refronted in brick. There are some original windows
with moulded frames and mullions and some original
and later doors.
(27) Cottage, three tenements, 50 yards S.W. of (26),
has a thatched roof. It has been refaced in brick.
(28) Weekly House and barns 50 yards S.W. of (27).
The House is of brick and has a coved eaves-cornice
on the E. and W. sides. Inside the building, the
original staircase has turned balusters and square
newels with ball-terminals and pendants. There are
some original doors and a fireplace with a moulded
surround, shelf and panelled overmantel with flanking
pilasters. The Barns, E. of the house, are timber-framed.
(29) Earthwork, called Camp on O.S., nearly 2 m.
S.E. of the church, was an oblong of about 90 by
130 yards with rounded angles. It has been practically
obliterated by the plough. It is referred to in Aubrey's
MS. Mon. Brit. iii, 161.