29 HESTON (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XX, N.W. (b)XX, N.E.)
Heston is a parish including part of Hounslow and
adjoining Isleworth on the N.W. Heston church
and Osterley Park are the principal monuments.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Leonard Heston
stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are
of coursed ragstone with freestone dressings and the
roofs are tiled. The West Tower and Porch were built
late in the 15th century but the porch and the rest of
the church were re-built in 1865–6.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (about
12 ft. square) is of four storeys with an embattled
parapet and carved gargoyles. The tower-arch is
two-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer
continuous and the inner springing from attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; above it is
the line of the roof of the old nave. The W. doorway
has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square
head with a moulded label and roses in quatrefoils in
the spandrels; the much restored W. window is of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. The stair-turret
in the S.W. angle has a blocked doorway to a former
gallery. The N., S. and W. walls of the second storey
have each a window of one trefoiled light in a square
head with a moulded label. The third storey has
windows uniform with those in the storey below. The
bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two
trefoiled and transomed lights in a square head, with a
The West Porch was reconstructed in 1865 largely
with the 15th-century material. It is of timber on
stone walls and of two bays; the outer archway is
four-centred with foliated spandrels; the sides have
four lights in each bay with moulded mullions, four-centred heads and foliated spandrels. The roof has a
moulded ridge and tie-beam with curved braces.
The Lych Gate (Plate 7) has been reconstructed
with the old materials probably of the 15th or 16th
century. It has a post at each end with diagonal struts
standing on a plate and supporting the cantilever beams
at the ends of the gabled roof; on these beams rest
the plates of the roof and framed into them is a central
beam, into which is fitted a pivot-gate.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—on floor, (1) to
[Mordecai Bownell, vicar, 1581 and Constance his wife],
figure of woman in bed with child, angel at side and
Christ in glory above, three texts (one on S. wall of S.
chapel); figure of man and groups of children missing,
inscription cut on stone below. In S. chapel—on S.
wall, (2) to Richard Amondesham, rector of Cranford,
1612, inscription and shield-of-arms; (3) to Ann and
Susan Feilding, infant daughters of George, Earl of
Desmond, both died 1647, inscription only. Doors:
In W. doorway of tower—with vertical ribs, embattled
rail and two original strap-hinges, late 15th-century; in
turret-staircase—three with vertical ribs, probably same
date. Font-cover (Plate 20): of oak with embattled base
having a band of quatrefoils, ogee capping in two stages
(upper stage modern), with crocketted ribs at angles,
faces of lower stage with flowing traceried panels
and two shields, one with the arms of the Drapers'
Company and one with a merchant's mark, carved finial
at top, early 16th-century, made up with modern work.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. chapel
—on E. wall, (1) to William Denington, 1686, oval
marble tablet with scrolls and cartouche-of-arms. In
S. chapel—on S. wall, (2) to Anne, wife of Henry
Lovibond, 1710, scrolled and draped marble tablet
with cherub-head and cartouche. In N. aisle—on E.
wall, (3) to Henry Collins, scrolled marble tablet (Plate
14) with cherubs and cartouche-of-arms, erected 1705.
In churchyard—E. of chancel, (4) to Mary (Grue), wife
of John Caddey, 1692, his second wife Mary, 1710–11
and John Caddey, 1710 (?), slab of table-tomb; S. of S.
aisle, (5) to Henry Cole and Elizabeth, his wife, 1708,
also to their son Edward Cole, 1709, table-tomb; S.E.
of S. porch, (6) to Christian Clarke, 1696, head-stone.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Thomas Bownell,
vicar, 1570; (2) to Nicholas Amondesham, 1674, with
shield-of-arms. In churchyard—S.W. of tower, (3) to
Daniel Cole, 1685, with achievement-of-arms. Plate:
includes a tazza paten of 1685 (?) given by Samuel
Child in 1742, with an engraved scene of the Marriage
at Cana, also a flagon of 1698, given by the same
donor at the same date. Stoup: by W. doorway of
tower—recess with moulded jambs and four-centred
arch in a square head with a label, recessed round bowl
with quatrefoil on moulded panel, late 15th-century.
b(2) Parish Church of Holy Trinity, Hounslow,
stands on the N. side of High Street. It was entirely
re-built in 1828 but stands on the site of a Trinitarian
priory, the church of which was retained at the dissolution to serve the village of Hounslow. It retains
from the old church the following:—
Fittings—Monuments: In nave—on E. wall, (1)
marble wall-monument (Plate 15) with kneeling figures
of man in armour and wife, set in panel finished with
entablature and broken pediment, mid 16th-century.
In N. aisle—on N. wall, (2) to Margaret (Stroud), wife
of George Trevelyan, 1646 (or 7), draped marble
tablet with broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms.
Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten and flagon of
1705 and a stand-paten with cover of 1713. Miscellanea: On external S. wall of church—panel with
shield-of-arms of Windsor quartering Andrews and
two other defaced coats, in a roundel with the inscription "Monsyr Andrews Wanedsor," 15th or early 16th-century. Re-set in vestry—key-stone inscribed "Domus
Dei ornata Ano. Dni. 1710."
b(3) Osterley Park, house and stables 1 m. E.N.E.
of Heston church. The House is of three storeys and
the walls are of brick with stone dressings. A house
was built here by Sir Thomas Gresham and finished
about 1577. It was bought by Sir Thomas Child in
1711 and judging from a drawing by Robert Adam
was extensively altered about this time. The house
was largely reconstructed by Robert Adam in 1761.
As it stands the building has four square towers at the
angles which probably represent an Elizabethan feature,
refaced early in the 18th century. Inside the building
the S.W. tower contains an early 18th-century staircase
with twisted balusters and close strings. Two rooms
in the S. range are lined with bolection-moulded
panelling of the same period and there is other woodwork of the same date elsewhere in the house.
The Stables (Plate 148), N.E. of the house, are of two
storeys; the walls are of brick with stone and plastered
dressings and the roofs are tiled. They form a half
H-shaped block with the wings extending towards the
S. and were built probably by Sir Thomas Gresham,
c. 1570–80. Considerable internal alterations were made
early in the 18th century, when the clock-turret was
added. The elevations retain a number of original
windows, partly restored and of two or three transomed
lights with square heads; there are also some original
doorways with four-centred heads; in the N. wall are
six windows each of three loop-lights. The N. range
is entered by an early 18th-century doorway with a
round head, flanked by Doric pilasters supporting an
entablature. At the angles of the courtyard (Plate 148)
are semi-octagonal stair-turrets with single-light windows and now finished with low pyramidal roofs. The
early 18th-century clock-turret has panelled sides, a
cornice and an open upper stage, perhaps later and
containing a bell of 1753. Inside the N. range, the
large stable has an early 18th-century wooden screen to
the stalls with round arches, key-blocks, cornice and
square posts with moulded caps; the back wall of the
stalls has early 18th-century panelling with a moulded
cornice. The stables in the E. range have also an early
18th-century screen (Plate 148) to the stalls; it has round
arches, with moulded archivolts and key-blocks, springing from responds with moulded bases and imposts;
between the bays are Doric pilasters supporting a continuous entablature. A fireplace in the W. range has an
original four-centred head and a doorway to the N.W.
turret has a head of similar form. The roofs are of
queen-post type. The range (Plate 148), adjoining the
stables on the N.E., is probably of slightly later date
and has had an upper floor inserted in the 18th century;
It was no doubt built as a barn. In the S. wall is an
archway with an original four-centred head; a number
of original loop-lights remain in the N., S. and W. walls.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(4) Old Cote, house on the E. side of the road, 150
yards N. of the church, was built probably early in the
16th century and formerly extended further to the S.
The roof is of two bays and has original king-post
trusses on shaped wall-posts and curved wind-braces.
a(5) St. Laurence Cottages, range of two tenements,
400 yards W. of the church, is a brick building.
a(6) House, on the S.W. side of the road 100 yards
S. of the church, is a brick building of c. 1700.
a(7) White House, on the W. side of the road 650
yards S. of the church, has been much altered but
retains part of an early 16th-century roof with curved
wind-braces. There is also a stone doorway with a
four-centred head of the same date and a fireplace has
a moulded oak lintel.