Hillingdon, West

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1937

Supporting documents

Pages

77-78

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hillingdon, West', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex (1937), pp. 77-78. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=121984 Date accessed: 23 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

31 HILLINGDON, WEST (A.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. XIV, N.E.)

West Hillingdon is a parish almost surrounding that of Uxbridge.

Secular

Monuments (1–9)

The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, with or without attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition—Good.

(1) House, with shops Nos. 219–222 on the N.E. side of High Street Uxbridge and 340 yards S.E. of Uxbridge church, is mainly of brick.

(2) House, immediately N.W. of (1), has been refronted in brick.

(3) House, with shops Nos. 215–217, immediately N.W. of (2) has a brick front with a cornice under the eaves.

(4) House, with shops Nos. 210–212, 10 yards N.W. of (3), has been refronted.

(5) House, with shops Nos. 207–209, immediately N.W. of (4), has been much altered.

(6) House, with shops Nos. 204–206, immediately N.W. of (5), was built c. 1700 and has a brick front with a wooden eaves-cornice.

(7) House, with shops Nos. 188–190, 90 yards N.W. of (6), has exposed framing at the ends.

(8) Park Lodge, about 500 yards E. of Uxbridge church, is a brick building almost entirely re-built late in the 18th century. The Stable, N.E. of the house, is also a brick building and retains some of its original stall-divisions.

(9) Cottage, on the W. side of Cowley Road 1,060 yards S.S.W. of Uxbridge church, has been refronted late in the 18th century.



<--Previous:
Hillingdon, East
Next:-->
Hornsey