33 ICKENHAM (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)IX, S.E. (b)X, S.W.)
Ickenham is a small parish 2 m. N.E. of Uxbridge.
The church and Swakeleys are the principal monuments.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Giles (Plates 126) stands
in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of flint rubble
and brick with dressings of freestone and brick; the
roofs are tiled. The Nave and Chancel were built in the
second half of the 14th century, the nave being the
earlier of the two; the bell-turret was added or re-built
in the 15th century. The North Aisle was added by
William Say c. 1575–80 and the South Porch is of about
the same date. The North Vestry was added, as a
Mortuary Chapel, c. 1640–50 probably by the Haringtons
of Swakeleys. The church was restored in the 19th
century when the chancel-arch and the N. arcade were
The 17th-century vestry is of some architectural
interest and there is a wooden font of c. 1720.
Ickenham, the Parish Church of St Giles
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16 ft. by
12 ft.) has a partly restored late 14th-century E. window
of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
two-centred head. In the N. wall is a wide opening
with a plain wooden lintel. In the S. wall is a restored
late 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (32 ft. by 16½ ft.) has a modern N. arcade;
further W. is a blocked window perhaps of the 14th
century. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern
of the 14th century and of two trefoiled lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the western
window is modern except for the 14th-century splays;
there are two modern dormer-windows; the late
14th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch. The square timber bell-turret over the
W. end of the nave is supported on four chamfered
posts with cross-beams and curved braces and moulded
joists; the upper part of the bell-turret and the spire
The North Aisle (37 ft. by about 18 ft.) is of c. 1575–80
and of brick. In the E. wall is a re-set late 14th-century
window similar to the S. window in the chancel but
with the head cut off square above the lights; further
S. is a modern doorway. The N. wall is of two gabled
bays each with a 16th-century window of two four-centred lights in a square head and with an oval window
in the gable. In the W. wall is a blocked window with
stone splays and S. of it is a re-set 14th-century doorway
with chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The North Vestry (17 ft. by 7½ ft.) is of c. 1640–50.
The N., S. and W. walls have a continuous series of
arched recesses, internally, two on the N. and S. and
six on the W. side; the recesses have moulded heads
and flanking pilasters with moulded capitals and bases,
and bands of arabesque ornament; two recesses on the
N. and four on the W. are pierced by modern windows.
Above the recesses on the N. is a round window and
there is a round panel in the S. wall in a similar position.
The South Porch is of late 16th-century date, restored
and partly re-built. It is of timber on dwarf walls.
The side walls have original plates with the sockets
for four diamond-shaped mullions and the gable has
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type with
one chamfered tie-beam; it is probably of late 14th-century date. The 15th-century roof of the nave is
trussed-rafter type with two king-post trusses and
curved braces to the central purlin. The late 16th-century roof of the N. aisle is of two gabled bays
each with a central queen-post truss and curved wind-braces.
Fittings—Bells: three and a sanctus; 1st by Robert
Mot, 1589 (or 2); 2nd c. 1600; 3rd by T. Bullisdon,
c. 1510 and inscribed "Sancte Necolae ora pro nobis";
sanctus by Phelps, 1711. Brasses: In chancel—on N.
wall, (1) of Edmund Shoreditch, , and [Ellen
(Say) his wife], figures of man in armour and wife, two
sons and one daughter, four shields-of-arms; on S.
wall, (2) of William Say, 1582, figures of man in civil
costume, Isabel his wife, seven sons and nine daughters,
three shields-of-arms. In N. aisle—on E. wall,
(3) figure of man of the Say family, c. 1580, in civil
costume, two shields-of-arms, indent of brass in floor
below. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned
legs and moulded brackets to top rail, 17th-century.
Door: In S. doorway—of battens with strap-hinges,
probably 16th-century, repaired. Glass: In nave—
in S.E. window, fragments of coloured glass, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Michaell Shordich,
1623, slate tablet; (2) to Richard Shorditch, 1660,
black marble tablet with skull and cross-bones, etc.;
on S. wall, (3) to Robert Shordiche, 1676, black and
white stone oval tablet with scrolls and achievement-of-arms; on S. window-sill, (4) to Robert, infant son of
Sir Robert Clayton, 1665, veined marble effigy (Plate
129) of infant on marble slab with shield-of-arms. In
N. vestry—on N. wall, (5) to Elizabeth, daughter of Sir
James Harington Bart., 1647, black marble slab;
(6) to Sir Edward Harington Bart., 1652, black marble
slab; on W. wall, (7) to Katherine, daughter of Sir James
Harington Bart., 1653–4, marble slab; (8) to Thomas
Vyner, 1707, marble slab; on S. wall, (9) marble bust
(Plate 155) of the Earl of Essex in armour, from the
screen at Swakeleys, mid 17th-century. In churchyard
—E. of porch, (10) to William Turner, 1689–90, and
Judith his wife, 1711, table-tomb; S.W. of porch
(11) to George Howlet, 1681, head-stone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to John Glover, D.D., rector,
1714, also to Robert Evans, 1694–5, with shield-of-arms.
In N. aisle—(2) to Elizabeth, wife of John . . . early
18th-century; (3) to John Blissard, late 17th-century;
(4) to Elizabeth (Crosier) wife of Richard Dobyns, 1669.
In N. vestry—(5) to Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James
Harinton Bart., 1654. Paintings: In chancel—on E.
and S. walls, remains of colour. In N. aisle—on E.
wall, remains of running foliage decoration, &c.,
16th-century. In nave—on roof-plates, cheveron and
and other ornament, 16th-century. Piscinæ: In
chancel—recess with cinque-foiled head, projecting sill
and septfoiled drain, late 14th-century. In nave—in S.
wall, recess with trefoiled head and round drain, 14th-century. Plate (Plate 23): includes flagon and paten of
1682 given by Sir Robert Vyner, Bart., 1683, both with
achievement-of-arms. Scratchings: In N. aisle—on
splay of E. window, the following names and initials,
(a) Pratty Clarke, (b) E.E. 1586 P.W., (c) Kended (a
former rector) 1589. Stoup: In porch E. of S. doorway—much damaged remains of bowl, mediæval.
a(2) Swakeleys, house and outbuildings ½ m. S.W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics; the walls are of red brick with stone or plastered
dressings and the roofs are tiled. It was built by Sir
Edmund Wright between the years 1629 and 1638,
on an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N.
and S. ends. Sir James Harrington owned the house
under the Commonwealth and made certain alterations;
according to Pepys he erected the screen of the Hall
and the plaster ceiling of the Great Chamber is perhaps
his work. The house was bought by Sir Robert Vyner
in 1665. Some minor alterations were made in the
18th century and the house has been reconditioned in
The house is a good and little altered example of the
17th century, with contemporary fittings.
The elevations are symmetrically designed, with
plastered entablatures at the floor levels and curvilinear
gables finished with pediments to the attic-windows;
the windows are square headed, the larger ones with
mullions and transoms; they are mostly cementrendered with some stonework; the windows of the
hall and dining-room are of black marble; above the
principal windows, the entablatures have straight or
curved pediments. The W. Front (Plate 156) has two-storeyed bay-windows to the projecting wings and a
two-storeyed central porch; this porch has a round
outer archway of dark marble flanked by Doric pilasters
supporting an entablature and broken curved pediment
with a cartouche; the porch is finished with an early
18th-century modillioned cornice of wood. The
main wall, above the porch, has a central feature with
a middle and two oval side windows, a cornice and
above it a shell-headed niche with a man's bust (Plate
155) in Roman costume; the niche has supporting scrolls
and a curved cornice or pediment. A rain-water head
on this front has the initials and date E.W. (for Sir
Edmund Wright) 1638. The E. Front is generally
similar to the W. front but has no porch; in place of
this is a dark marble doorway with a segmental keyed
head, flanked by later fluted Corinthian pilasters with
an entablature; the lower windows in the middle bay
have cornices and the broken pediments seem to have
been cut back nearly flush with the wall; the side
windows above have plaster arabesque aprons in low
relief and between them is an oval window; the central
feature of the attic-storey is similar to that on the W.
front but the niche is empty. The S. Front is finished
with a range of four gables; two late 18th-century
windows have been inserted on the ground floor; a rain-water head on this front has the initials and date E.W.
1638. The N. Front (Plate 157) is generally similar to
the S. but the lower part was till recently covered in part
by later additions and some of the windows have been
blocked; there are additional windows in the middle
bay including two of oval form on the first floor. The
chimney-stacks are partly ancient and have either
grouped diagonal or plain panelled shafts.
Interior—The porch has a panelled dado and seats
and a plaster vault with a central pendant and strapwork ornament; the inner doorway has a moulded
archivolt and imposts and a plain key-block. The Hall
is lined with 18th-century panelling and has a fireplace of
the same period; in it is an iron fire-back with a representation of the fall of Namur and the date 1695. The
mid 17th-century screen (Plate 158) is of wood painted
to imitate stone and marble; it is of three bays divided
by Doric columns and flanked by pilasters, supporting
an entablature with minor enrichments and a central
curved and broken pediment with a bust of Charles I
and two crouching lions; the middle bay has a round
arch with a key-block and cherub-heads in the spandrels;
the side doorways are also round-headed and above
each is a cartouche-of-arms supported by cherubs; the
N. face of the screen is similar but has pilasters in place
of columns and a bust of Fairfax; a third bust from
this screen is now in the church. The floor is paved
with stone with small black squares at the angles.
The N. wall of the screens passage is lined to half its
height with original panelling finished with a cornice;
the passage to the E. has similar panelling. The Dining
Room is lined with panelling of early 17th-century
character but most of it is modern. The S.W. Room
has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fire-place. The N.W. Room is partly lined with original
panelling and the angle-fireplace has an overmantel
of two bays divided and flanked by enriched Doric
columns supporting an enriched entablature; the bays
are sub-divided by moulded ribs into small rectangular
panels; the lower part of the overmantel is covered
by modern panelling; beside the fireplace is a rack
with an enriched head. The Kitchen has an early 18th-century fireplace with a segmental head and keystone.
On the first floor the Saloon (Plate 159) is lined with
18th-century fielded panelling; the mid 17th-century
ceiling is divided into panels by moulded trabeations
with guilloche ornament on the soffit; the middle
panel has an inner circle and the adjoining panels have
laurel-wreaths; the main end panels have inner
octagonal panels with cherub-heads in the spandrels;
the panel in the projecting bay has a laurel-wreath and
cherub-heads. The S.W. room has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fireplace with a cornice
above. The middle S. room has a dado of original
panelling and the fireplace has a black marble surround.
The S.E. room has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fireplace with a wood cornice above it.
The room S. of the staircase has an original wooden
entablature with ornamental triglyphs and brackets.
The panelled Room, N. of the staircase, is lined with
original panelling and finished with an enriched
entablature; the 18th-century marble fireplace is
flanked by the lower parts of original fluted pilasters.
The N.E. room has an original enriched entablature
with bracket-triglyphs; this and other rooms have
18th-century marble surrounds to the fireplaces. The
rooms to the W. retain some early 18th-century panelling and remains of an original enriched entablature.
The main staircase itself has been renewed but the
lower walls retain some original panelling; above the
dado of the staircase the walls are painted up to the
level of the first floor with rusticated masonry; above
this are painted figure-subjects as follows—on the S.
wall the death of Dido (Plate 161), on the N. wall the
founding of Lavinium (Plate 161), on the W. wall a
landscape (Plate 160) with a bridge and stream with
an architectural setting and a draped curtain; above
the doorway in this wall is painted a pedestal and urn;
the ceiling (Plate 160) is painted to represent the sky
with figures of Juno, Iris, etc.; the paintings are
attributed to Robert Streater, temp. Charles II. In
the 18th-century Orangery are two newels from the
original staircase; they are square with shaped finials.
The secondary staircase (Plate 37) has heavy turned
balusters, handrails and strings. In the attics are some
dadoes of c. 1700, painted to represent fielded panels.
The Stables form three sides of a quadrangle immediately N. of the house. They are partly of one
storey and partly have attics above; the walls are of
brick. They seem to have been built at two periods
in the 17th century but have been much altered. The
stables have round-headed doorways and windows,
with solid frames. The coach-houses, flanking the
entrance, were formerly open to the courtyard on the
ground floor and have oak posts with moulded capitals
and curved brackets under the moulded bressumer.
The roofs are partly original. The Dovecote (Plate 49),
N. of the house, is a square structure of brick with
plastered quoins, entablature and pyramidal roof with
a lantern. It was built about the same time as the
house. Each wall has an oval opening in the upper
part; there are two round-headed doorways on the
S. side, the lower modern and giving access to an icepit in the middle of the building. The upper storey is
lined with nests.
b(3) Manor Farm, house and moat 1,100 yards
S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built early
in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N. and W. The staircase was
added in the 17th century and there are 18th-century
additions. The upper storey projects at the N. end of
the W. wing on a moulded bressumer. On the E. side
of the same wing is an original window of four round-headed lights with moulded frame and mullions. The
W. wing has been refaced in brick. Inside the building,
both wings have original moulded ceiling-beams and
there are two doorways with four-centred heads.
The N. room in the N. wing is partly lined with
original linen-fold panelling and there are two blocked
windows in the same room similar to that on the E.
front. The 17th-century staircase has turned balusters.
The Moat formerly surrounded the house and there
is a large outer enclosure and moat on the N. side.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tile or
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(4) Cottage, 60 yards E. of the church, was built
late in the 15th or early in the 16th century, but has
early 18th-century additions on the E. and N. The
upper storey of the original block projects on the S.
on heavy curved brackets. The walls have been faced
in brick and on the S. front are the date and initials
1705 W. C. Inside the building, the original wing
has moulded wall-posts with curved braces under the
moulded ceiling-beam of the first-floor and also under
the moulded and cambered tie-beam of the roof.
a(5) Coach and Horses Inn, 100 yards S.S.E. of the
church, has been much altered but retains an original
window with a moulded frame.
a(6) Barn, at Milton Farm, 320 yards S.S.W. of the
church is a single-storey building of five bays, weather-boarded.
a(7) Tipper Farm, house 460 yards S.E. of the
church, contains a little original panelling.
a(8) Cottage, 200 yards S.S.E. of (7).
a(9) Barn, at Ivyhouse Farm, 365 yards W.N.W. of
the church, was built in the 16th century, probably as
a house. The upper storey projects on the S.W. side
on curved brackets and there is a gabled cross-wing.
The building is weather-boarded and has an extension
on the N.W.
a(10) House, at the entrance to Swakeleys, 80 yards
S.W. of (9) is of brick and has later additions at the
a(11) Beetonswood Farm, house 1,160 yards N.N.W.
of the church, is of brick and retains some original
windows with moulded frames and mullions and some