34 ISLEWORTH (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XX, N.E.)
Isleworth is a parish on the left bank of the Thames
adjoining Twickenham on the N. Syon House is the
(1) Parish Church of All Saints (Plate 153) stands
on the river bank. The walls of the nave are of brick
and those of the tower of rag-stone with freestone dressings. The West Tower was built late in the 15th century.
The Nave was re-built in 1706–7 and is said to have been
in part designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The church
was restored in 1866–8, when the Chancel, Vestry and
Organ Chamber were added.
Architectural Description—The Nave (84½ ft. by
54 ft.) is of 1706–7 and of red brick. The interior is
divided into a body and aisles by square brick piers,
five on each side with chamfered stone bases; the piers
are panelled in wood and have moulded capitals supporting the gallery-fronts; over each pier, above the
gallery, is a timber Doric column, supporting a continuous entablature, from which springs the elliptical
plastered ceiling. In the E. wall is a modern chancel-arch and at the end of the N. aisle are two round-headed windows, one above the other with moulded
stone architraves; at the end of the S. aisle is a modern
archway. The side walls have each two ranges of
round-headed windows, two in each bay except the
westernmost where the lower window is replaced by a
square-headed doorway with moulded stone architrave,
pediment and consoles. In the W. wall, flanking the
tower, are two round-headed windows, at the gallerylevel.
Isleworth, Parish Church of All Saints.
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is of late 15th-century
date and of three stages with an embattled parapet and
pinnacles at the angles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing from attached shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. The W. doorway
and window are modern except for part of the label
of the doorway and part of the head and the moulded
rear-arch of the window. The second stage has a
square-headed doorway, now blocked, in the E. wall.
In the N. wall is a fireplace with hollow-chamfered
jambs and four-centred head. In the W. wall is a
window of one square-headed light. The bell-chamber
has, in the E., N. and S. walls, a wholly or partly
restored window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square
head, with a moulded label; there is a similar window
of three lights in the W. wall.
Fittings—Brasses and Indent. Brasses: In nave—
on E. wall, (1) to Margaret Dely, nun of Syon Abbey,
1561, small figure in gown, bodice, wrist-bands and
veil; on floor of nave, (2) figure of man in armour,
c. 1450; (3) to William Chase, sergeant to Henry VIII,
1544, inscription only; palimpsest on back 14th-century Flemish canopy-work; (4) figure of man in civil
costume, c. 1590; (5) to Frances, daughter of Edwarde
Holland, 15, inscription only, palimpsest on
reverse, part of a 16th-century Flemish achievement;
(6) to Katherine, wife of Richard Cox, 1598, inscription
and figures of two sons. Indent: In churchyard—S.
of S. doorway, fragmentary slab with remains of rivets.
Communion Table: In S. aisle—with twisted legs,
probably early 18th-century. Doors: In second stage
of tower—two, of nail-studded battens, probably
17th-century. Galleries: On both sides of nave—with
plain panelled fronts and cornices; galleries approached
from staircases at W. ends of aisles with re-used turned
balusters, early 18th-century. Monuments: In N. aisle
—on N. wall of gallery, (1) of Katherine (Leigh), wife
of Sir Francis Darcy, , wall-monument with
kneeling figures of man in armour and wife, Corinthian
columns, entablatures and achievement-of-arms; (2) to
Richard Downton, 1672, and to Sir Richard Downton,
1711, who erected the monument in 1702, black
marble slab, with shield-of-arms; on W. wall, (3)
to Margaret (Culliford) wife of Henry Scardevile,
Dean of Cloyne, 1698, white marble tablet with scrolls
and foliage. In S. aisle—on S. wall of gallery, (4) of
Richard Wiatt, 1619, wall-monument with kneeling
figures of man and wife at prayer-desk set in recess
with Corinthian side-columns, cornice and three
shields-of-arms; (5) to Sir Theodore de Vaux, F.R.S.
and physician to Charles II, 1694 and to Judith his
second wife, draped tablet with cherub-heads and
cartouche-of-arms; (6) to John Land, 1697, draped
tablet with cherub-heads, broken pediment and
cartouche-of-arms; on sill of first lower window,
(7) effigies of a boy, a girl and an infant, remains of a
monument to [Elizabeth, 1612, Henry, 1611 and
another child of Sir Thomas Savage, later Earl of
Rivers], shield-of-arms probably from same monument
on W. wall of N. aisle; (8) to John Bedingfield, 1692,
and Martha (Williamson) his wife, 1698, widow of John
Porter, erected by Penelope Atterbury, white marble
tablet with three shields-of-arms; (9) to Grace (Hewes),
wife of Sir John Danvers, 1678, white marble tablet
with scrolls; (10) to Elizabeth (Berblock), wife of
George Pigot M.D., 1706–7, slate tablet; (11) to
Joseph Taylor, 1714, oval white marble tablet with
achievement-of-arms; (12) to Edward Baron, 1640,
Catherine his wife, 1643 and William Daw and Barbara
(Baron), his wife, 1674, tablet erected 1721; (13) to
Simon Basill, the king's clerk-of-works, 1663, slate slab.
In W. tower—on S. wall, (14) to Sir Orlando Gee, 1705,
draped pedestal and bust of man in relief (Plate 145),
flanked by Corinthian columns supporting entablatures
and three shields-of-arms. In churchyard—on N. wall
of tower, (15) to William Ivory, 1708–9 and Johanna
Phillips, 1710, and others later, slab; (16) to Barbara,
wife of Henry Jordan, 1704 and her daughters Mary
and Barbara, round-headed slab; S. of S.E. doorway,
(17) to Frances, wife of John Burrt, 1692, table-tomb;
(18) to Ann Burt, 1706, and others later, headstone;
N.E. of N. aisle, (19) to Richard Rice, 1680 and John
Rice, 16.., slab. Scratchings: On brick quoin of
N.W. angle of nave, "John Clements 1706"; on
brickwork W. of S. doorway initials and the date 1706.
Miscellanea: On window-sill in S. aisle, 15th-century
roof-corbel with angel holding shield charged with a
(2) Homestead Moat, S.W. of Wyke Farm nearly
1½ m. N.N.W. of the church.
(3) Homestead Moat, 350 yards N.E. of (2), is of
oval form and is now cut through by the railway.
(4) Homestead Moat, on the N. side of the road
1 m. W.S.W. of the church, has been almost entirely
(5) Syon House, and outbuildings 800 yards N.E.
of the church. The House is of three storeys, the walls
are of brick with some ashlar facings and dressings
and the roofs are lead-covered. An abbey of Bridgettine Nuns was founded by Henry V at Twickenham
in 1415; it was moved to the present site in 1431 and
dissolved in 1539. The existing courtyard no doubt
represents the nuns' cloister of the abbey and part of
the 15th-century undercroft of the W. range is incorporated in the W. range of the house; how much more,
if any, of the mediæval building survives it is now impossible to determine. After the dissolution the abbey
was granted in succession to Protector Somerset and
John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland; the nunnery
was refounded for a short time under Queen Mary and
eventually passed to Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, in 1604. Somerset appears to have reconstructed
the house substantially in its present general form with
turrets at the angles. Henry, Earl of Northumberland
spent £9,000 on the property and his successor
Algernon restored the building in 1659, the date
formerly on the rain-water heads; probably at this
period or rather earlier the loggia was inserted in the
E. front. The principal rooms on the first floor were
reconstructed by Robert Adam in 1760–5, for the first
Duke of Northumberland. Under the third duke,
c. 1819–26, the building was almost entirely recased
and substantially altered and the W. porch was added.
The N. wing also is modern.
The house has interesting remains of a 15th-century
The angle-turrets, with the exception of that on the
N.W., are all substantially of 16th-century brick and
retain doorways with four-centred heads; the turrets
have been refaced externally. The exterior of the
house generally has no ancient features except the 17th-century loggia on the E. front. This is of eleven bays,
the middle bay projecting from the general wall-face;
each bay has a round-headed arch, springing from rectangular piers with moulded cornices and plinths; the
side and front faces are panelled; the arches have coffered
soffits, moulded architraves, keystones and round panels
in the spandrels. Two doorways on the S. front have
moulded surrounds perhaps of early 18th-century date.
The W. range incorporates two rooms forming part
of the 15th-century vaulted undercroft (Plate 123)
of the abbey; the rooms are of two and three bays
respectively and have brick columns and vaulting; the
columns are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal
and from them spring the chamfered vaulting-ribs;
each bay has diagonal and ridge-ribs; in both the
dividing wall and the W. wall is an original doorway
with a four-centred head and there are two blocked
windows in the W. wall. A room on the first floor
contains thirteen enriched oak panels (Plate 123) of
c. 1530, one with the initials H.P. and the Percy badges
and motto; these must have been brought from elsewhere. There is also a large map of Isleworth hundred,
The Lodges to the W. of the house are of early 17th-century date and are shown on the map of 1635. They
have been refaced but retain some original two-light
windows. The N. lodge has some original doors and
panelling. An Outbuilding, N. of the house, now the
muniment-room, is an L-shaped building of 16th-century brick, but its other features are modern.
To the N.W. of the house is a Stable of 16th-century
origin, but much altered and re-built. A few yards to
the N.W. is a long building, perhaps of mediæval
origin and of stone much re-built in 16th-century brick;
it retains a stone doorway with a four-centred head and
two 16th-century windows. Running E. from the
N.E. angle of this building is a rubble wall with a
16th-century brick capping; in it is a 16th-century
archway with a round head and flanked by brick
Syon House, Isleworth. Plan Showing Older Portions Still Visible.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date and
of two storeys with attics or three storeys; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(6) Ferry House, 100 yards N.E. of the church, was
perhaps built early in the 17th century but was almost
entirely re-built early in the 18th century. Inside the
building is some panelling and balusters of the latter date.
(7) Ingram Almshouses, range of one-storey tenements, 350 yards W.S.W. of the church. In the low
central gable on the N. front is a panel with the inscription—"This almshouse was founded by the Right
Hono. Sir Thomas Ingram Kn. Chancell. of the Duchy
of Lancaster one of his Majesty's Hono. Privy Council
1664"; above it is a cartouche-of-arms and motto.
The doorways retain their original frames.
(8) Silver Hall (Plate 34), on the N. side of North
Street 100 yards W.S.W. of (7), has brick bands between
the storeys and a modillioned cornice of wood.
(9) House, No. 18 at the S.E. corner of Lower Square
380 yards S.W. of the church, has brick bands between
(10) House (Plate 27), Nos. 5–7 on the S. side of
Swan Street 60 yards W. of (9), is of two storeys.
(11) House and shop, No. 2 on the W. side of Lower
Square 25 yards N. of (10).
(12) House, Nos. 4 and 5, 10 yards N. of (11), was
built in the 17th century and refronted c. 1700.
(13) House, Nos. 6 and 7, immediately N. of (12),
was built early in the 17th century and refronted c. 1700.
(14) House, No. 11 on the E. side of North Street,
25 yards N. of Swan Street.
(15) House, with shops Nos. 17–19 on the S. side of
South Street, 570 yards S.W. of the church.
(16) House with shop, Nos. 60–64 on the N. side of
South Street, 120 yards W. of (15).
(17) House, with shop, No. 72, 20 yards W. of (16).
(18) House, on the S. side of South Street, 50 yards
W. of (17).
(19) Range of four houses Nos. 116–122 on the E.
side of Twickenham Road, 110 yards N. of Worton
Road, has brick bands between the storeys and an
eaves-cornice; the doorways have side-pilasters and
flat hoods. The building retains its original staircases
with turned balusters and close strings and in No. 116
is some original panelling.
(20) Holme Court, house 140 yards S. of (19), has
bands between the storeys and a dentilled cornice. It
retains some original panelling.
(21) Rose Cottages, on the N. side of Worton Road,
200 yards W. of Twickenham Road.
(22) Cottage, 20 yards W. of (21).
(23) House, on the E. side of Twickenham Road, 190
yards S. of the river Crane, has a modillioned eaves-cornice. The upper staircase is original and has
turned balusters and close strings.
(24) Range (Plate 34) of houses Nos. 105–109 on the
S. side of St. John's Road, 50 yards W. of Twickenham
Road, is now part of the Isleworth Club.
(25) House with shops, No. 97 on the S. side of
High Street Hounslow and close to the junction of
Hanworth Road, is of two storeys.
(26) House with shop, Nos. 115–119, 60 yards
W.S.W. of (25), has a modillioned eaves-cornice.