36 LALEHAM (A.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXIV, N.E.)
Laleham is a parish and village on the left bank of
the Thames 2 m. S.E. of Staines. The church is the
Laleham - Parish Church of All Saints
(1) Parish Church of All Saints stands in the
village. The walls are of rubble and brick, with
Reigate stone and brick dressings, and the roofs are
tiled. The Nave has late 12th-century N. and S.
arcades which formerly extended at least one bay further
E. The North Chapel was added and the chancel was
re-built in the 16th century when the nave was shortened;
the former S. aisle was probably pulled down at the
same time and the arcade built up. The West Tower
was added in 1732 (the date with the initials R.H. on
a brick); more recently the Chancel and North Aisle
have been re-built, the South Porch added and the filling of the S. arcade re-built.
The 12th-century arcades are of some interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by
15½ ft.) is modern except for the chancel-arch and
perhaps the E. end of the N. wall. The 16th-century brick chancel-arch is two-centred and of one
chamfered order; the responds have re-used 12th-century imposts.
The North or Lucan Chapel (21 ft. by 13½ ft.) is of
early to mid 16th-century date and of red brick with
some diapering. The E. window is of three four-centred lights in a square head. In the N. wall is a
similar window and E. of it is a doorway with
moulded jambs and four-centred head. In the W.
wall is a two-centred arch of one chamfered order.
The Nave (34¼ ft. by 18 ft.) has late 12th-century N.
and S. arcades (Plate 5), now of three bays, with
two-centred arches of one chamfered order with labels;
the cylindrical columns and semi-cylindrical W. responds
have scalloped capitals and restored moulded bases;
the E. pair of columns is partly embedded in the
16th-century walling to the E. and the N.E. column
has a modern capital; the first arch on the N. has been
re-built in 16th-century brick as has part of the second
arch; the S. arcade has a modern blocking-wall. In
the W. wall is a window all modern, except the 16th-century splays and rear-arch.
Fittings—Altar: In N. aisle—re-set vertically against
W. wall, Purbeck marble slab with five consecration-crosses and indent of later brass inscription. Bells:
three by William Eldridge, 1663. Scratchings: on
columns of nave arcade, various scratchings also the
initials and date F.R. 1692. Miscellanea: Re-set in S.
wall of nave—various stones probably from the 12th-century S. doorway, including square stones with
diapering, voussoirs with cheveron-ornament and
imposts with foliage, a beast and an Agnus Dei; re-used
as keystone of S. doorway, moulded impost and fragment with cheveron-ornament; on S. side of same
doorway, another fragment.
(2) Church Farm, house 30 yards N.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the
17th century and has some exposed timber-framing
inside the building.
(3) Earthwork, about 850 yards W. of the road
junction at White House and just over 1 m. N. of the
church, is not now visible from the ground. The plan
in Stukeley (It. Cur. ii, pl. 59) shows a rectangular work
with a smaller rectangle within it; it is there called
Cæsar's Camp. Air photography has recently proved
its existence and precise position (Antiquity VII. 290).