40 NORWOOD (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XV, S.W. (b)XV S.E.)
Norwood is a parish, with Southall, 2 m. N. of
Hounslow. The church and Southall Manor House
are the principal monuments.
b(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands on the S.
side of the parish. The walls are of flint rubble with
dressings of Reigate and other freestone; the roofs are
tiled. The Nave is probably of the 12th century and
retains parts of a N. arcade of this date. The Chancel
was perhaps added or re-built in the 13th century. The
church is said to have been reconstructed by Archbishop Chichele in 1439 but this seems to apply only
to the roofs and certain windows. The South Porch
was probably added late in the 15th century but has
been much altered. The church was extensively
restored in 1824 when the walls were refaced. The
North Aisle, North Transept, Vestry and Tower are all
Among the fittings the 16th-century tomb and the
glass are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30½ ft. by
16 ft.) has an E. window all modern except the opening
with its two-centred head and rear-arch which are
probably of the 15th century. In the N. wall is a
modern arch and doorway. In the S. wall are three
windows, the easternmost is modern except for the
splays and rear-arch; the second is a partly restored
lancet-light of the 13th century; the westernmost is
probably of the 15th century and of two round-headed
lights with quatre-foiled tracery in a square head; the
doorway has double chamfered jambs and two-centred
head. The late 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and moulded and springs from semi-octagonal
plastered responds with moulded capitals.
The North Vestry is modern, but, re-set in the N. wall,
is a 15th-century window similar to the S.W. window
in the chancel.
The Nave (50¼ ft. by 17 ft.) has a N. arcade of three
bays probably all modern except the late 12th-century
W. arch and respond and the E. respond of the same
date altered in the 15th century; this respond is square
with hollow-chamfered angles; the W. arch is semi-circular and of one plain order with a chamfered label
on the S. side; the W. respond is chamfered and has a
moulded impost. In the S. wall are three windows,
the easternmost is of early 14th-century date and of
two ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head;
the middle window is a 13th-century lancet-light; the
14th-century westernmost window is of two ogee lights
with tracery in a segmental head; the 15th-century S.
doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch
with a moulded label and modern head-stops; the
tower-doorway is modern. The early 15th-century W.
window is of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a
four-centred head. At the W. end of the nave is the
timber-work formerly supporting a bell-turret; the E.
part is largely modern, but the two main posts, tie-beam and braces against the W. wall are old.
The South Porch is probably of the 15th century but
largely re-built in modern times. It is timber-framed
and the posts and braces of the outer entrance are partly
old, as are the plates and king-post truss of the roof.
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type with
moulded wall-plates; it is perhaps of the 15th century.
The 15th-century roof of the nave is of three bays, in
addition to the structure of the former bell-turret;
the trusses are of king-post type with moulded tie-beams, square king-posts with moulded capitals and
bases and four-way struts; the S. wall-plate is moulded.
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of
Matthew Hunsley, 1618, figure of man in civil costume;
on S. wall, (2) of Francis Awsiter, 1624, figure of man
in civil costume. Chest (Plate 18): In nave—small, of
oak, iron bound, with handles, lock-plate and two
staples, lid of iron with key-hole, 16th-century. Font
(Plate 11): octagonal bowl with moulded top and under
side, range of quatrefoils except on W. face, stem with
carved necking and ogee-headed cinque-foiled panels,
moulded base, 15th-century. Funeral Helm: In chancel
—on N. wall, combed helm with vizor and small cross-hilted sword, c. 1600. Gallery: now destroyed but fixed
on W respond of nave, painted board recording erection
of gallery by Francis Awsyter, 1612, with four painted
shields-of-arms. Glass: In nave—in S.E. window,
figures of the Virgin and Child, the latter holding a toy
windmill, and of St. John the Baptist, both standing on
a checker pavement, red and blue figured background,
late 16th or early 17th-century, foreign, head of
Virgin and other parts modern. In W. window, three
roundels of foreign 17th-century glass, (a) Christ in
Gethsemane, (b) an eagle and (c) foliated design.
Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments: In chancel—
in N. wall, (1) ascribed to Edward Cheesman and
Robert his son, 1556, recessed monument (Plate 141)
with panelled base in three bays with quatre-foiled and
sub-cusped panels each enclosing a shield, recess with
panelled reveals and four-centred arch with traceried
spandrels, carved cornice and brattishing, recess flanked
by shafts and on cornice three shields-of-arms, (a) Cheesman with a crescent for difference, (b) and (c) Cheesman
impaling Dacres, probably c. 1530–40; on S. wall—(2)
to Sussanna (Awsiter), wife of Robert Kidwell, 1694,
cartouche-tablet, with scrolls, foliage and cartouche-of-arms; on S. respond of chancel-arch, (3) to Christopher
Merik, 1614 and Agnes his wife, 1637, neither buried
here, white marble tablet. Floor-slab: In nave—to
John Merik, 1663 and Isabella (Burdett), his wife,
1696, with achievement-of-arms. Plate: includes cup
and cover-paten, stand-paten and flagon, all of 1708,
given by Edward Allanson and with his arms.
a(2) Southall Manor House (Plate 170), ¾ m. N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are
timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It belonged to
the family of Awsiter in the latter part of the 16th
century and R. Awsiter built the existing house in
1587; it consists of a central hall with cross-wings at
the N. and S. ends. Shortly afterwards a second wing
was added to the N. and this was extended to the W.
in the 18th century. The E. side has been much
altered and remodelled in modern times. It now
belongs to the Southall Urban District Council.
The house is an important example of timber-framed
work and the hall has some carved details of interest.
The W. front of the original building has exposed
and close-set timber-framing, partly restored. The
end of the N. cross-wing is gabled and the first floor
projects on a moulded bressummer with console-brackets carved with grotesque faces; the ground and
first floors have each a projecting bay-window of five
transomed lights with a central bracket below and a
flat pediment above; the returns have each a single
light and flanking the bays are narrow windows of
four or three lights; the tympanum of the upper bay-window has the date 1587; both windows have been
restored, the upper one being largely modern; the
studs below the window have enrichments of balusterform; the head of the gable has herring-bone framing
and a central post carved with various devices. The
hall-block has a two storeyed bay-window and porch;
the bay is semi-octagonal and has three-light transomed
windows on the face and single-light windows on the
returns; the gable oversails the angles of the bay and
has a moulded bressummer and barge-boards. The
porch has an outer entrance with a moulded frame
and square head enriched with rosettes; the upper
floor has a partly restored four-light window and the
gable has moulded barge-boards; S. of the porch is a
four-light window with a modern heightening. The
end of the S. cross-wing has a much restored semi-octagonal bay-window, similar to that in the hall
block and with narrow flanking-windows; the gable
projects on modern brackets. The middle part of the
N. front is of c. 1600 and has two gabled bays with
exposed framing, largely modern restoration; in the
W. bay is an original door of nail-studded and moulded
battens. At the back of the house are two old chimney-stacks, with diagonal shafts and the gable of the projecting N.E. wing has some old framing.
Southall Manor House, Norwood
Interior—The Hall has an altered fireplace (Plate 169)
flanked by original enriched pilasters of wood; the overmantel is of five bays divided and flanked by coupled
columns standing on an enriched shelf and supporting
an entablature; the middle panel has a shield-of-arms
of Awsiter and strapwork with the initials R.A.; the
flanking bays have or had arcaded enrichment and the
outer bays have vine and snake-ornament; the room
is lined with late 16th or early 17th-century panelling.
The next room on the N. has exposed ceiling-beams
and the passage to the E. has a fireplace with moulded
jambs and three-centred arch. The N.E. room of the
added wing has a large open fireplace with moulded
jambs and head; the recess is lined with late 16th or
early 17th-century panelling. On the first floor, a
room in the main block is lined with late 16th or early
17th-century panelling and the overmantel incorporates
two panels with architectural enrichment.
a(3) Cottage, 530 yards W.N.W. of the church, is
of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the
roof is thatched, it was built probably early in the 17th
century and has some exposed ceiling-beams.