42 PINNER (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)X, N.W. (b)X, N.E.)
Pinner is a parish and town 2½ m. N.W. of Harrow.
The church and Headstone Manor are the principal
a(1) Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
stands on the E. side of the village. The walls are of
flint and ironstone rubble with dressings of Reigate
and other freestone and ironstone. The roofs are
covered with tiles and lead. The Chancel, Nave,
Transepts and Aisles were built early in the 14th century, the consecration taking place in 1321. The
West Tower and South Porch were added in the 15th
century and a Vestry was probably added in the
16th century. The church was restored in 1811,
1859, when the South Chapel was added, in 1880,
when the S. Chapel was enlarged, and in 1936; the
North Vestry is modern.
Pinner, the Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Architectural Description—The Chancel (38 ft.
by 18 ft.) has a partly restored 15th-century E. window
of five cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
four-centred head with a moulded label. In the N.
wall are two windows, the eastern of the 16th
century and of two round-headed lights in a square
head with a moulded label; the partly restored western
window is of the 15th century and of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label; the
16th-century doorway to the vestry has chamfered
jambs and four-centred head. In the S. wall is a
modern arcade. The early 14th-century chancel-arch
is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the
restored responds have each an attached semi-octagonal shaft with moulded capital and base.
The Nave (60 ft. by 18 ft.) has early 14th-century
N. and S. arcades each of five bays with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the partly restored
octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds have
moulded capitals and bases; the second pier on the S.
has a plain base.
The North Transept (15 ft. by 11½ ft.) has, in the
E. wall, a partly restored early 14th-century window of
two pointed lights with a moulded rear-arch. There
is a similar but taller window in the N. wall. In
the W. wall is an early 14th-century arch, two-centred
and of one chamfered order.
The South Transept (15 ft. by 11½ ft.) has a modern
arch in the E. wall. In the S. wall is a window similar
to the corresponding window in the N. transept.
In the W. wall is an arch similar to that in the N.
The North Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall,
two windows of the 14th century but completely
restored externally; each is of two cinque-foiled lights
in a square head; the blocked N. doorway is modern
externally, but has 14th-century splays and rear-arch.
In the W. wall is a 14th-century window of one pointed
light all modern externally.
The South Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has, in the S. wall, two
windows similar to those in the N. aisle; the 14th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred
arch. In the W. wall is a window similar to the W.
window of the N. aisle.
The West Tower (13 ft. by 12 ft.) is of the 15th century
and of three stages with a moulded plinth and a modern
embattled parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is of
two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the
inner springing from attached shafts with moulded
capitals and bases. The W. doorway has moulded
jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with a
moulded label and shield-stops, quatre-foiled spandrels
and roses in the quatrefoils; the partly restored W.
window is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label.
The second stage has, in the N., S. and W. walls a
restored square-headed window, the western hidden
by the clock-face. The bell-chamber has, in each wall,
a completely restored window of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label.
The South Porch is of the 15th century, much restored.
The outer archway is modern. In the E. wall is a
partly restored window of one pointed light. In the
W. wall is a partly restored window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head.
The Roofs of the N. and S. aisles are of the 15th
century, flat pitched and with moulded main timbers
and curved braces.
Fittings—Brass: In vestry—loose, of Anne,
daughter of Eustace Bedingfeld, 1580–1, small figure
of swaddled infant, palimpsest on reverse, part of a
late Flemish marginal inscription; on reverse of
inscription a few engraved lines and devices. Chest:
In tower—of hutch-type with three locks and strap-hinges, 17th-century. Communion Rail: moulded
rail with two columns and two half-columns as
standards, and balusters alternately plain and twisted,
early 18th-century. Communion Table: In vestry—
with twisted legs, late 17th or early 18th-century.
Font: octagonal bowl with moulded upper and lower
edge, quatre-foiled panelled sides each enclosing a
foliage-boss, flowered bosses on the lower moulding,
octagonal stem and moulded base, 15th-century.
Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel
—on N. wall, (1) to John Day, "minister of this
church," 1622, shaped and engraved marble tablet
with round-headed panel having figure of man at
desk with book; (2) to Thomas Hutchinson, 1656,
and Margaret (Allanson) his wife, 1656, alabaster and
black marble wall-monument with draped and scrolled
side-pilasters, entablature, broken pediment and achievement and three defaced shields of arms. In S. chapel
—on S. wall, (3) to Christopher Clitherow, 1685,
black and white marble wall-monument (Plate 16), with
a festooned urn, Ionic side-columns, entablatures, pediment, cherubs and cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs:
In chancel—(1) to Christopher Clitherow, 1685, with
achievement-of-arms; (2) to John Hawtry, 1682, and
Jane, his wife, 1682, with achievement-of-arms;
(3) to Thomas Clitherow, 1681, with achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—W. of porch, (4) to Sir
Bartholomew Shower, 1701, with achievement-of-arms; S. of tower, (5) to William Wilkinson, 1658.
Piscina: In S. transept—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and octofoiled drain, 14th-century. Seating:
In porch—settle, with panelled back, panels with
shaped heads, early 18th-century.
b(2) Headstone Manor, house, barn and moat
1 m. E. of the church. The House is of two storeys;
the walls are partly timber-framed and partly of brick
and the roofs are tiled. The property formed part
of the archbishops' manor of Harrow. One wing,
forming the middle part of the house, survives of a
14th or 15th-century building of which the hall-block
perhaps occupied the site of the later S.E. block, called
the chapel. This and the main block of the house were
built or re-built late in the 16th century. Late in the
17th century a wing was added at the N. angle of the
building and a small addition made at the N.E. end of
the original wing. The 'chapel-block,' which perhaps
represents one bay of the original hall, has an 18th-century S.E. wall, which may indicate that the S.E.
part of the building was destroyed at that period.
There are later additions and alterations. The S.W.
front has been largely refaced in brick, but the 'chapel-block' has a tall late 16th-century window with
moulded frame and mullion; the central chimney-stack has 17th-century grouped shafts, two of them
set diagonally. On the N.E. side, some timber-framing is exposed and the original wing has an
acutely pitched gable; in front of it is an early 17th-century porch with moulded framing and a round
head to the entrance, with a key-block; flanking it
on one side is a narrow light with a round head; the
corresponding light, on the other side, has been
destroyed; further to the N.W. are two late 16th-century three-light windows with moulded mullions.
There is a similar window at the N.W. end of the
house. Inside the building, the original wing retains
a 14th or 15th-century roof of three bays with king-post trusses; the heavy tie-beams are chamfered and
have curved braces and the king-posts have two-way
struts under the central purlin. The so-called chapel
is of a single storey and has a flat ceiling with exposed
beams and moulded wall-brackets; in one wall is a
double entrance with moulded post and lintel; there
is a borrowed light in the same wall with a moulded
mullion; the panelling is probably of early 17th-century date and at one end is a fixed bench with
turned legs. The staircase retains some symmetrically
turned balusters and square newels of c. 1600. There
are also some 17th or early 18th-century battened
The Barn, W.S.W. of the house, is a timber-framed
and weather-boarded structure, of ten bays with two
porches. It is of c. 1600 and has trusses of queen-post
type. The adjoining cart-shed has shaped brackets
under the plate.
The Moat surrounds the house and is partly revetted
in brick. The bridge, on the S.W. side, has been
Condition—Fairly good, except 'chapel-block.'
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys;
the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled.
Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(3) East End Farm (Plate 29), house and outbuildings, 330 yards N.E. of the church. The House was
built late in the 16th century and has a porch with foiled
barge-boards. One original window, with moulded
frame and mullions, remains, and at the E. end is a
chimney-stack with stepped offsets and diagonal shafts.
Inside the building the staircase has an early 17th-century newel with a moulded terminal. The Outbuildings, E. of the house, are weather-boarded.
a(4) Tudor Cottage (Plate 29), 80 yards S. of (3), was
built probably late in the 16th century but has been
altered and added to. The timber-framing is exposed.
a(5) Church Farm, house and barns, 70 yards N.W.
of the church. The House was extended to the W.
and N. in the 18th century. Inside the building several
rooms are lined with early and late 17th-century
panelling and one room has a marble surround to the
fireplace and panelling, probably of early 18th-century
date. The Barns, W. and N. of the house are weather-boarded. The garden-wall is partly of 17th-century
a(6) House with shops on the N. side of High Street,
100 yards W. of the church.
a(7) Queen's Head Inn, adjoining (6) on the W., has
been added to at the back. The upper storey projects
on the S. front. Inside the building one room is
lined with original panelling and the staircase has flat,
wavy balusters, also original.
a(8) House, 90 yards W.S.W. of (7), was built
probably early in the 16th century, and has exposed
timber-framing. One window has square bar-mullions
set diagonally. Inside the building one room has
late 17th-century panelling and a fireplace with a
moulded surround and shelf.
a(9) House, with shop on the S. side of High Street,
210 yards W. of the church, was built in the 16th
century and has the modern date 1580 on the front.
The upper storey projects on the N. and W., with a
post and diagonal bracket at the angle. The staircase
has original symmetrically turned balusters and
handrail to the landing and a square newel with a
moulded terminal. The adjoining tenement is probably
of the 17th century.
a(10) House, 50 yards E. of (9), has a projecting
upper storey on the N. front.
a(11) House, two tenements with shops, 120 yards
W.S.W. of the church, bears the modern date 1603.
The central chimney-stack has three shafts set diagonally.
a(12) House, 20 yards W. of the church, has been
altered and partly refaced in brick.
a(13) House, 30 yards S. of the church, has been
refaced in modern brick.
a(14) House, three tenements, on the E. side of
Love Lane, 250 yards N.W. of the church, has been
a(15) House, on the W. side of Waxwell Lane, 40
yards N. of Common Road.
a(16) House (Plate 26), 50 yards N. of (15).
a(17) Waxwell Farm, house ½ m. N.N.W. of the
church, has some exposed timber-framing and one
original window with moulded frame and mullions.
The central chimney-stack has one hexagonal and two
square shafts, the latter set diagonally.
b(18) Cottage, at the S. end of an island site at Hatch
End, over 1 m. N.E. of the church, bears the modern
a and b(19) Pinner Park, site of former deer-park,
N.E. of the village. The park seems to have been enclosed by a line of double ditches with a medial bank;
of this there are still considerable remains. Where the
boundary crosses the Pinn stream, on the S.W. side,
there is a high bank, probably a former dam, and now
cut through. The area enclosed seems to have been
approximately 250 acres and to have been roughly
For Grim's Dyke, see p. xxiii.