24. FINCHINGFIELD. (Db.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)x. N.E., (b)xv. N.E., (c)xv. S.E.)
Finchingfield is a large parish and village about
10 m. E.S.E. of Saffron Walden. The principal
monuments are the Church and Spain's Hall.
b (1). Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
stands on a hill on the E. side of the village. The
walls are of flint rubble with dressings of limestone
and clunch; the roofs are covered with lead,
except those of the N. and S. chapels, which are
tiled. The West Tower (see Plate, p. 89) was
built c. 1170. The Chancel was rebuilt about the
middle of the 13th century; a N. chapel, and a S.
aisle were built at the same time. A. N. aisle
was added c. 1340, and late in the 14th century
the walls of the chancel were partly rebuilt and
raised and a clearstorey was added, the North
Chapel was rebuilt and the South Chapel added;
the North and South Aisles with the two western
bays of the N. arcade were rebuilt, and a S. porch
was added. In the 15th century the bell-chamber
of the tower was altered or rebuilt; a spire was
built possibly at the same time, but it fell in the 17th
century. The church was restored in the 19th
century, and the South Porch rebuilt.
Finchingfield, Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
The W. doorway is a good example of late 12th-century work, and among the fittings the 16th-century Berners monument, the 14th and 15th-century screens and the 14th-century S. door are
Architectural Description—The Chancel (45 ft. by
19½ ft.) has an E. window entirely modern, except
the moulded internal splays, the two-centred rear
arch and the internal label, which are of late 14th-century date. In the N. wall is a window of c.
1370, externally restored, and of two cinquefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head; further
W. is an arcade of c. 1250, of two bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the
octagonal column and the responds with attached
half-columns have moulded capitals; part of one
original base remains. In the S. wall is a window
of the same date and design as that in the N. wall,
but the jambs are more richly moulded and the
moulded internal label has carved head-stops.
Further W. is a doorway of c. 1370, much restored;
the jambs, two-centred arch and label are moulded;
W. of the doorway is an arcade of c. 1370, and of
two bays with moulded two-centred arches which
have moulded labels; the label on the N. side has,
at the E. end, a stop carved as a bull (?), and
below it is a partly defaced inscription; the moulded
column has four attached shafts with moulded
capitals and bases; the responds have attached
half-columns. The clearstorey has four N. and
four S. windows, all of c. 1370, and partly restored;
they are each of two cinquefoiled and sub-cusped
lights with tracery under a square head; the
reveals are moulded; the two western windows
on each side are partly blocked. The 13th-century chancel-arch (see Plate, p. 87) is two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the responds
have each a semi-octagonal attached shaft with a
moulded capital and defaced base; on the E. side
of the S. shaft a hollow with a trefoiled head has
been cut; some 14th-century stones built into the
N. respond have remains of a carved diaper of
four-leaved flowers, probably part of the reredos
of an altar.
The North Chapel (23½ ft. by 17½ ft.) is almost
entirely of c. 1370. In the E. wall is a window of
three trefoiled ogee lights under a two-centred
head; it has been much restored outside and the
tracery is modern; the labels, internal splays and
rear-arch are moulded. In the N. wall are two
windows, the eastern, now blocked and only visible
outside, is of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head and has a moulded
label; the western window is of three trefoiled ogee
lights with tracery under a segmental-pointed head,
much restored; the rear arch and internal splays
are roll-moulded and the splays have small
moulded bases. Further W. is a modern doorway.
In the W. wall is an arch of c. 1350, re-set; it is
moulded and two-centred, and has on each face a
moulded label; the shafted responds and their
capitals are moulded, and the S. respond has remains of a moulded base.
The South Chapel (23 ft. by 16½ ft.) has, in the E.
wall, a window of c. 1370, of three cinquefoiled
lights with tracery under a segmental-pointed head.
In the S. wall is a window of c. 1370 and of three
trefoiled sub-cusped lights with tracery under a
segmental-pointed head and a moulded label; the
lower part of each window has been blocked.
Further W. is a small doorway of early 16th-century date, with moulded jambs, four-centred arch
and label, all of brick; above it, externally, is a
moulded brick panel containing four shields—(a)
much defaced, but apparently crusily three boars'
heads, for Swinburne; (b) quarterly with a label,
for Berners, impaling a cheveron between three
coronels, for Wiseman; (c) the names [Ber]ners
and Elizabeth with a device between them; (d)
a cheveron between three birds. In the W. wall
is a two-centred arch of c. 1370 and of two moulded
orders; on the W. side is a moulded label with
animal stops; the shafted responds and their
bases are moulded; the capitals are carved
The Nave (59 ft. by 27 ft.) has embattled parapets of brick, probably of 1561. The N. arcade is of
five bays; the three eastern bays are of c. 1340, and
the other two of c. 1370; the three eastern bays have
two-centred arches of two moulded orders with
moulded labels; the columns have each four
filleted shafts separated by filleted rolls; the capitals
are moulded; the bases have been mutilated;
the E. respond has an attached half-column, partly
cut away; the two western bays are of the same
date and detail as the S. arcade of the chancel, but
the labels are plain; the W. respond has been much
defaced. The S. arcade is of c. 1250 and of five
bays; the two-centred arches are of two chamfered
orders: the octagonal columns have moulded
capitals and bases and square plinths with spur
ornaments; the responds have attached halfcolumns. The clearstorey has five N. and five S.
windows of the 15th century, each of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental head
with a plain label; the internal splays and rear
arch are moulded.
The North Aisle (13 ft. wide) is of c. 1370, and
has, in the N. wall, two windows, both similar to
the westernmost window in the N. chapel.
Further W. is the N. doorway with moulded jambs
and two-centred arch; the labels, internal splays
and rear arch are moulded. In the W. wall is a
window, all modern except the moulded internal
splays and the external label with one stop.
The South Aisle (12 ft. wide) is of c. 1370,
and has, in the S. wall, two windows; the
eastern is of three uncusped lights under a
segmental-pointed head; the various parts are
moulded and the label has animal-head stops; the
lower part of the window has been blocked; the
western window is of similar detail to the other,
and is of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery
under a segmental-pointed head. Further W. is
the S. doorway (see Plate, p. 32) with richly
moulded jambs and two-centred arch, and a label
with head-stops. In the W. wall is a window
similar to the western window in the S. wall, but
with varied tracery.
The West Tower (16 ft. by 19½ft.) is of three
stages (see Plate p. 89) with a deep embattled
parapet and an 18th-century timber lantern; the
western angles, up to the middle of the second
stage, are shafted and enriched with spiral ornament; between the first and second stages is a double
dentilled string-course of the 12th century, partly
restored; the S.W. stair-turret has brick steps of
the 17th century. The 12th-century tower-arch is
semi-circular and of one square order; the square
responds have shafted angles with remains of
moulded bases, and scalloped capitals with chamfered abaci continued round the responds as
imposts; the impost on the N. has cheveron ornament and that on the S. has a diaper pattern. The
N. and S. walls have each a round-headed window
of the 12th century, restored outside. In the
N.E. and S.E. angles are 12th-century wall-arcades,
extending two bays along the N. and S. walls and
returning one bay on the E. wall; they are partly
filled up with masonry as if for altars; the rough
semi-circular arches are covered with plaster and
rest on shafts set between the bays; the shafts have
scalloped capitals and deep abaci; one capital on
the S. side has carved stiff-leaf foliage. The 12th-century W. doorway (see Plate, p. 89) has a semi-circular head of three orders enriched with cheveron
ornament and a diapered label; the tympanum has
been removed, and the space filled with a modern
glazed frame; the jambs are both of four orders,
the innermost has cheveron ornament and carved
head-corbels at the top; the other orders have
shafts with scalloped capitals; the two outer shafts
have been removed; the shaft of the second
order is spirally fluted on the N. side, and has
cheveron ornament on the S. side. The N., S.
and W. walls of the second stage have each a 12th-century window of a single round-headed light;
those in the N. and S. walls have been blocked. In
the 15th-century bell-chamber the E. and S.
walls have each a window of two trefoiled lights
under a depressed head with a moulded label;
flanking the window in the E. wall are two circular
recesses or blocked openings. The N. and W. walls
have each a window of three trefoiled lights under
a four-centred head with a moulded label.
The South Porch is modern, but incorporates the
heads of three 14th-century panels of stone; two
of them are built into the E. and one into the W.
wall, and all are cinquefoiled and sub-cusped.
The Roof of the chancel is low pitched and of
four bays, with moulded main timbers, curved
braces and moulded pendants; the braces of the
easternmost truss are inscribed 'This roof was
builded anno domini 1635 at the charge of Robert
Kempe Esquiir'; one brace of the second truss is
inscribed 'Builded by John Glascock'; the late
14th-century stone corbels are moulded and carved
with heads of saints, a king, queen, etc. The late
14th-century roof of the N. chapel has moulded
tie-beams with curved braces and a king-post with
four-way struts; the stone corbels on the N. side
are carved with heads. The low-pitched roof of the
nave is of five bays with moulded main timbers; the
tie-beams have curved braces, and those of the
easternmost truss are curved with foliage and the
date and initials 1561 W.B., S.L.; the carved head
corbels are all of late 14th or early 15th-century
date, except two, which are plainly moulded, and
apparently of the 16th century. The lean-to roof
of the N. aisle is possibly of the 14th century,
and has plain timbers, except the moulded wall-plate and middle principal. The lean-to roof of the
S. aisle is of the 16th century and has moulded principals. The ground stage of the tower has moulded
ceiling-beams and plain joists. The late 14th-century
roof of the S. porch has two king-post trusses with
double hollow-chamfered ridge and purlins.
Fittings—Brasses: In S. chapel, said to be under
organ—(1) to John Meade, 1629, inscription only.
(See also Monuments.) Chest: In N. chapel—with
panelled and inlaid front and panelled ends, late
16th or early 17th-century. Communion Table: In
N. chapel—with turned legs, and carved upper rail
having pendant in middle, early 17th-century.
Doors: In S. doorway—of two folds, each with
three moulded panels having crocketed heads,
tracery, and carvings of the Crucifixion, a pelican,
dove and other figures, two shields, one with a
cheveron, 14th-century, partly restored. (See Plate,
p. 119) In tower—in doorway to stair turret, of
battens, 15th or 16th-century. Font (see Plate, p.
xxix.); with octagonal bowl, supported on carved
angels; in each side of bowl a quatrefoiled panel
with a shield of arms, (a) a lion, (b) a cross, (c) fretty
a fesse, for Helion, (d) quarterly with a molet in the
quarter, for Vere, (e) two cheverons powdered with cloves
(?), for Clovile, (f) a saltire engrailed, (g) a cheveron
between three crosses formy fitchy, (h) a chever on, late
14th-century; stem and base modern. Locker: In
chancel—in S.W. corner, small, rebated, date uncertain. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In chancel—against N. wall, (1) to Richard Marriot,
1703, and others, plastered altar tomb with black
marble slab. In N. chapel—against N. wall, (2) to
Robert Kempe, 1524, and Anne his wife, plain altar
tomb with brass inscription on slab; on E. wall, (3)
to William Kempe, 1628, and 'Philip' his wife,
1623, white marble and slate tablet with four shields
of arms, erected 1652. In S. chapel—in middle, (4)
of John Berners, 15 .... (not filled in) and Elizabeth
(Wysseman) his wife, 1523, altar tomb with brass
figures on Purbeck marble slab, of man in armour
with a tabard of arms, quarterly with a crescent
for difference, for Berners, quartering a cheveron
between three martlets; figure of woman with pedimental head-dress and heraldic mantle, a cheveron
ermine between three coronels, for Wiseman, inscription below figures; tomb of clunch with
traceried panelled sides and ends, each with a
shield of arms: (a) Berners quartering a cheveron
between three martlets impaling Wiseman; (b)
Berners quartering a cheveron between three martlets
and impaling two coats, Wiseman, and three lozenges
ermine; (c) Berners; (d) a cheveron between three
martlets; (e), (c) impaling crusilly three boars'
heads, for Swinburne; (f), (c) impaling (d), E. end
hidden by organ; on N. and S. sides, dividing the
panels, three canopied niches each with a hooded
and habited bedesman, much damaged. Floor-slab: In chancel—(1) to Dorothy, wife of Sir John
Marshall, 1685, with shield of arms; (2) to Lucy,
wife of Sir John Marshall, 1699, with shield of arms.
Piscina: In chancel—with chamfered jambs and
cinquefoiled head, fluted drain, 15th-century.
Royal Arms: In nave—on W. wall, framed and
painted on canvas, Stuart arms, late 17th-century.
Screens: Under chancel arch, of oak, with double
entrance bay and two bays on each side; entrance
bay with two-centred arch and traceried head, side
bays with ogee arch and traceried heads all cusped
and sub-cusped, with crockets carved as foliage or
grotesques; between the bays, buttresses and
springers of vault to former loft; traceried middle
rail and close lower panels; early 15th-century. In
S. chapel, at W. end, of three main bays, middle of
bay two lights, side bays of three lights, all with
cinquefoiled ogee heads and flowing tracery;
between lights in middle and S. bay, circular shafts
with moulded bases and carved capitals; in N. bay,
inserted doorway with cusped and sub-cusped head
and embattled cornice; main cornice moulded
and enriched with small carvings, close lower
panels, c. 1350, head of doorway, 15th-century.
Miscellanea: In S. aisle—on ledge of second
window in S. wall, scratched diagram of 'ninemen's morris.' Loose in chancel and in second
and third stages of tower—architectural fragments,
14th and 15th-century. In churchyard—S. of
tower, fragments of former S. porch including
tracery, capital of respond, etc., late 14th-century.
Condition—Good generally, but there are cracks
in E. wall of nave; the N. arcade of chancel is out
of the perpendicular, and part of the window tracery
is badly decayed.
b (2). Homestead Moat at Howe Hall, ¾ m.
N.E. of the church.
b (3). Spain's Hall, house, outbuilding. millponds and moat, nearly 1 m. N.W. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built
c. 1570 on an irregular T-shaped plan with the main
or cross-wing at the S.W. end. Early in the 17th
century the N.E. wing was widened towards the
N.W., making the plan L-shaped. The original
part of the N.E. wing was burnt down and rebuilt
c. 1768, and there are modern additions on the N.
and W. sides.
The house is an interesting example of Elizabethan brickwork, with carved woodwork on the
gables of the N.W. elevation, and contemporary
rain-water-heads of lead.
The S.W. Front (see Plate, p. 91) has a moulded
plinth of brick; the storeys are divided by moulded
string-courses, also of brick, continued round the
S.E. end. There are seven original gables, two large
and five small, all with curvilinear copings. The
porch is carried up the full height of the house,
and is finished with one of the smaller gables;
the outer entrance has moulded and plastered
jambs and a four-centred arch under a square
head and label. The windows are of plastered
brick with square heads, mullions and moulded
labels; six of them are original, but the large
window lighting the hall is modern. In the side
walls of the porch there are two original windows,
now blocked. Five rain-water pipes and heads
are of 1637, the heads have the arms or initials
of Robert and Elizabeth Kempe; the pipes have
elaborate straps ornamented with leopards, cherubheads, etc.
The N.W. Elevation has a moulded plinth to the
early 17th-century additions, and two projecting
gables of plastered timber-framing; the bressumers and barge-boards are moulded and carved
with guilloche and conventional ornament, and,
at the apices are carved and moulded pendants.
Three of the lower windows are original and similar
to those on the S,W. front; under one gable is an
oriel window, with moulded mullions and transom
of oak, partly restored.
The N.E. Elevation of the main block has two
small gables with moulded copings, and a larger
gable at the end of the drawing-room wing.
Two rain-water heads and pipes have the Kempe
initials and arms, and are both dated 1637. At
the N.E. end of the early 17th-century addition
is an oriel window of the same date, similar to
that on the N.W. elevation. Five original chimney-stacks have octagonal shafts and moulded bases;
the original caps have been destroyed.
Interior—The Hall (37 ft. by 21½ ft.) has
moulded wall-plates and ceiling-beams; the beams
have carved soffits, and on two of them are carved
and painted a shield of arms and a crest; the
doorways from the porch and to the S. staircase are both original, and have double chamfered jambs and four-centred heads; the two
doors, also original, are of richly moulded
battens with iron handles; the fireplace is modern
except the back, which is of original brickwork;
round the walls is a dado of late 16th or early
17th-century panelling, re-used. The Drawingroom has original moulded ceiling-beams, and a
fireplace with a richly panelled overmantel of c.
1640, flanked by Ionic pilasters; the walls are
covered with panelling of the same date as the
overmantel. The Library has original moulded
ceiling-beams, one of them having foliated stops;
the panelled overmantel with Ionic pilasters, and the
panelling on the walls are of late 16th or early
17th-century date. The modern Kitchen has a
dado of late 16th or early 17th-century panelling,
re-used. In the Offices some modern partitions
have old panelling, re-used, and there are two
old panelled or battened doors. Under the S.
staircase is a similar door. The early 17th-century S. Staircase has turned balusters, moulded
handrails, and square newels with turned finials
and acorn tops. On the first floor a room in the
early 17th-century addition has chamfered ceilingbeams, and a fireplace with chamfered brick jambs
and a four-centred arch; the richly carved and
panelled overmantel and the panelling on the walls
are both of early 17th-century date. There are
several old doors of moulded battens, some with
drop-handles; two of the doors have moulded
frames planted on.
Spains Hall, Finchingfield
The Garden has some late 16th or early 17th-century walls of brick; one wall has a large brick
The Moat, which formerly surrounded the house,
has been obliterated, except on the N.W. side.
The Outbuilding, formerly a cottage, N. of the
house, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roof is tiled. It is probably
of the 17th century, and has some old casement
windows and original chimney-stacks. Inside the
building are some original doors of moulded
S.E. of the house were a succession of eight
rectangular basins or ponds, formerly feeding a
Mill; the existing lake represents two of these
ponds and there are traces of most of the others.
Condition—Of house and outbuilding, good;
of moat, poor.
a (4). Cornish Hall, farmhouse and moat,
about 1¾ m. N. of the church. The House is
of two storeys with attics; the walls are timberframed and covered with plaster; the roofs are
tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in
the 17th century on a roughly rectangular plan,
but c. 1700 a wing was added on the S., making
the plan L-shaped, with the wings extending
towards the E. and S. There is a small modern
addition on the N. side. The gable at the W. end of
the main block has original barge-boards, carved
with guilloche pattern, now much worn. At the W.
end of the N. or back elevation is a gable with
plain original, barge-boards, and the back door
is original, with mouldings planted on. The S.
wing has a wooden eaves-cornice of c. 1700. The
original central chimney-stack has four octagonal
shafts with moulded bases, and a moulded capping
to the stack. Inside the building, on the ground
floor, two rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams, and
there are several panelled or battened doors of
c. 1600; one door has an ornamental hinge. On
the first floor of the S. wing one room has deal
panelling of c. 1700, with a moulded architrave
and panelled overmantel to the fireplace. At the
head of the staircase are four turned balusters.
There are two panelled cupboards also on the first
The Moat has been partly obliterated.
Condition—Of house, good.
a (5). Brockhold's Farm, house and moat,
about 2¼ m. N.N.E. of the church. The House
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early
in the 17th century; at the S. end the upper
The Moat is of irregular shape; a stream forms
the N. arm.
Condition—Of house, poor, now unoccupied; of
moat, fairly good.
b (6). Boyton Hall, farmhouse, malt-house
and moat, 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church. The
House is of two storeys with attics and cellar;
the walls are timber-framed and plastered, and the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in the
16th or early in the 17th century, on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W.
and S. The N. front has, at the E. end, a gable
with original barge-boards carved with guilloche
ornament. The original chimney-stack has six
octagonal shafts with moulded bases restored at the
top. Inside the building the chamfered ceilingbeams and shaped wall-posts are exposed; the
wide fireplaces are partly blocked. On the first
floor is an original fireplace with stop-chamfered
jambs and four-centred head. The early 17th-century staircase has moulded rails, turned newels
and flat balusters with vertical mouldings.
The Malt-house, N. of the house, is timberframed and weather-boarded; the roof is thatched.
It was built in the 17th century and is now used
as a stable.
The Moat is of irregular form, the N. side has
been filled in recently.
Condition—Of house, good.
b (7). Sculpin's Farm, house and moat, 1½ m.
E.N.E. of the church. The house is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built in the 17th century, on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the N.E.
and N.W. The N.E. wing has been shortened.
On the S.E. front is a small gable. The central
chimney-stack is original. Inside the building is
an old door of moulded battens.
The S.E. arm of the Moat has been destroyed.
Condition—Of house, good.
b (8). Petches, farmhouse and moat, 1 m. S.E.
of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built probably early in the 16th century,
and has a S.E. wing of later date. The N.E. and
S.W. elevations have each two gables, and the
original chimney-stack has two spirally fluted
shafts. Inside the building, the Hall and a bedroom have panelling of c. 1600. The roof under
the E. gable has a central purlin and king-post with
The Moat has been obliterated, except at the W.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b (9). Outhouse at Nortofts, barn and moat,
1⅓ m. S.E. of the church. The Outhouse is now
of two storeys with attics; the walls are of
brick, and the roof is tiled. It was built late
in the 16th century, possibly as a Banqueting
House. At the E. and W. ends are curvilinear
gables; the windows, many of which are
now blocked, have brick jambs and mullions and
moulded labels. On the N. side are three gabled
dormer windows, all now blocked; the doorway
is modern, but has an old door of nail-studded
battens with a drop handle and old hinges; there
is no trace of the original doorway. Inside the
building, the staircase is of solid oak.
The Barn, W. of the house, is timber-framed and
plastered; the roof is tiled. It is probably of late
16th-century date, and is of five bays with aisles.
The Moat has been obliterated, except on the E.
Condition—Of outhouse and barn, fairly good.
b (10). Great Winsey, farmhouse and moat,
about 1 m. S.W. of the church. The House is of
two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century,
on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the E. and N. There are 18th-century
additions on the E. and N. of the E. wing. On the
N. front of the E. wing is a gable, and the original
central chimney-stack has three shafts, set
The N. side of the Moat has been destroyed.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b (11). Great Biggins, farmhouse and moat,
350 yards W.S.W. of the church. The House is of
two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the
17th century; the plan is L-shaped with wings
extending towards the W. and N. The N. wing is
possibly of later date than the other. The W.
gable has original barge-boards with traces of
carving. Inside the building some chamfered
ceiling-beams are exposed.
The Moat can be traced, but only the N. arm is
Condition—Of house, good.
b (12). Brent Hall, nearly ¾ m. W.N.W. of
the church, is of two storeys, partly timber-framed
and plastered, and partly faced with 18th-century
brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built probably
early in the 17th century, on a T-shaped plan with
the cross-wing at the S. end. There are 18th-century extensions on the E. and W. sides, and the
S. front has been re-faced with brick. The central
chimney-stack of the cross-wing has two original
shafts, set diagonally on a stepped base. On
the E. side of the N. wing is an original projecting
chimney-stack with diagonal shafts and pilasters
on a stepped base. Some of the windows have old
casements. Inside the building, on the first floor,
some original wall-posts and ceiling beams are
exposed and there are some old battened doors.
The Garden-wall, W. of the house, is of 17th-century brick.
b (13). The Guildhall, now the Parish Hall and
Almshouses, N.W. of the churchyard, is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built probably c. 1500, and consists of five tenements, with an open gateway to the
churchyard; above the gateway is the parish
hall. On both the N.W. and S.E. fronts the upper
storey projects, and the windows have some old
casements; on the N.W. front two windows have
original moulded mullions. Some of the chimney-stacks are of old bricks. Under the gateway is a
post, which has the head carved with the initials
E.T. 84 (probably for 1584.) Inside the building
the tenements have exposed ceiling-beams and
joists, and the roof of the parish hall has a king-post
truss with two-way struts and curved braces to the
The following monuments (see Plate, p. 95),
unless otherwise described, are all of the 17th
century, and of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks,
wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b (14). The Red Lion Inn, on the N. side of the
road, opposite (13), was built, probably early in
the 16th century, on an L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the E. and N. In the
18th century another wing was added on the E.,
making the plan half-H shaped. The front and
back of the main block have been re-faced with
modern brick. Inside the building, the ground
floor has moulded ceiling-beams, on the first
floor are two original fireplaces with stop-chamfered
jambs and four-centred heads; one of them has
been blocked, and above both are traces of fleur-delis decoration, now covered with wall-paper.
b (15). House, 50 yards E. of (14), with a small
cross-wing at the W. end.
b (16). The Two Gables, formerly 'Cabbaches,'
80 yards S.E. of the church. The house was built
probably in the 15th century, and is of the mediæval
type with a Hall in the middle, a Buttery and a
Solar at the W. and E. ends respectively. In the
16th century the Hall was divided into two storeys,
and a chimney stack inserted at the N. end. A S.E.
wing added at some uncertain date makes the
existing plan L-shaped. On the W. front the
upper storey formerly projected at each end,
but has been under-built; both front and back
back elevations have a gable at each end. The
16th-century central chimney-stack has three
octagonal shafts on a moulded base.
Interior—The former Hall has slight traces of
colouring on the W. wall-plate, and a moulded
bracket; the walls are partly lined with 17th-century
panelling. In the N. room is a brick fireplace
which has moulded jambs and four-centred
head with an oak lintel above it; in the ceiling is a
large beam with a curved brace. On the first floor,
the room over the Hall has a cupboard with a
panelled 17th-century door. The S. end of the
house has an original roof with king-post, central
purlin and remains of four-way struts. In the
outhouse at the back is an old door, of moulded
b (17). Parsonage Farm, house and barn, 150
yards S. of the church. The House is of half
H-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards
the S. It was built c. 1600. At the E. end of the
N. front is a gable with original barge-boards
carved with grotesque beasts. Inside the building
are five original doors of richly moulded battens.
The original staircase has moulded rails and square
newels with turned finials.
Finchingfield, Plan Shewing Positions of Monuments
The Barn, N. of the house, is probably of late
16th or early 17th-century date. The walls are
The Green, S. side
b (18). House and shop, 200 yards W.S.W. of the
church, was built probably early in the 17th
century; a wing was added at the back late in the
same or early in the following century. The
central chimney-stack has grouped shafts, with
b (19). The Old Poor House, S.W. of (18), was
built probably late in the 16th century. The N.
front has two gables, and some old casement
windows remain. The original central chimney-stack has four octagonal shafts with moulded bases.
Inside the building, on the ground floor one room is
lined with 17th-century panelling. On the first
floor there are two old doors of moulded battens.
b (20). House and shop, S.W. of (19), with a
modern extension at the E. end.
b (21). Hill House, 60 yards W. of (20), is of two
storeys with attics. It was built in the 16th
century, and has modern additions on the S. and
W. The front and back elevations have each four
gables. Inside the building, the S. room has
original moulded wall-plates and joists.
b (22). House, now two tenements, 100 yards
N.N.W. of (21). At the E. end of the S. front is a
gable, and the upper storey projects beneath it.
There is also a gable at the E. end of the back
elevation. Inside the building some shaped wallposts are exposed, and there is one original door of
b (23). House, E. of (22), is of two storeys with
attics. It was built probably late in the 16th
century, and has several modern additions. The
original central chimney-stack has four octagonal
b (24). The Fox Inn, E. of (23). It has modern
additions at the back, making the plan half
H-shaped. The original central chimney-stack has
b (25). House, 80 yards E.N.E. of (24), is of three
storeys and has an addition of later date at the back,
making the plan L-shaped, with the wings extending
towards the S. and W. The E. front has two gables
with original barge-boards carved with different
forms of guilloche ornament. At each end of the
house the gables have also carved barge-boards.
The original central chimney-stack has diagonal
shafts and pilasters. Inside the building are two
doors of moulded battens.
b (26). Street Farm, house and barn, N. of (25).
The House was built, probably early in the 16th
century, on a plain rectangular plan. In the 17th
century an addition was made on the S.W. and a
brew-house built on the N.E., making the plan of
modified Z-shape. The original central chimney-stack has four grouped shafts. Inside the building
one room has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
The roof of the main block is original and has a
chamfered king-post, two-way struts and a central
The Barn, N. of the house, is of five bays; the
walls are weather-boarded.
b (27). Cottage, 50 yards S.S.E. of (26).
b (28). Cottage and shop, S. of (27).
b (29). House, five tenements, on N.W. side of
road, 200 yards N.N.W. of the church. Some old
casement windows remain.
b (30). Cottage and shop, on S.E. side of road, 130
yards N.E. of (29).
b (31). Cottage, two tenements, on W. side of
road, ½ m. N.N.W. of the church. Some old
casement windows remain.
b (32). Cottage, now two tenements, on E. side
of road, 100 yards N.E. of (31). There are some
old casement windows, and the original central
chimney-stack has two grouped shafts.
b (33). Dairy Farm, house and barn, nearly 1 m. S.E.
of the church. The House is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the N.W. and N.E.;
the N.E. wing is probably of later date than the
other. There is a gable at the E. end of the
S.W. front and in the N.E. wing there are some old
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is partly weather-boarded.
a (34). Tinker's Green Farm, house, 2½ m. N.N.W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics, and has
a modern addition at the W. end.
a (35). Rivett's Farm, house, about 2 m. N.N.E.
of the church, was built late in the 16th or early in
the 17th century, and was apparently part of a larger
building. An original chimney-stack on the W.
side has two octagonal shafts with moulded bases
and modern tops. Inside the building, on the
ground floor, the S. room has original moulded
ceiling-beams resting on moulded posts. The
newel staircase on the E. side of the house is
original, and has a moulded rail and turned balusters
at the stair-head. There are four old ledged doors.
On the first floor is some re-used panelling with
part of a fluted frieze.
a (36). Whitehouse Farm, house, about 2¼ m.
N. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the E. and N. The S.
front has remains of two original plaster panels
with foliated ornament. The original central
chimney-stack has diagonal pilasters.
b (37). Sharpe's Cottages, a range of four tenements, about 2 m. N. of the church. Some of
the doors are original, and have moulded and ledged
battens. The second chimney-stack from the S.
end has diagonal pilasters. Inside the building
the second tenement contains an original ledged
door with moulded battens. The third tenement
has moulded ceiling-beams.
b (38). Hobtoe's Farm, house and barn, about 1½
m. N. of the church. The House contains some
old doors of moulded battens.
The Barn, near the house, has weather-boarded
walls and is of six bays.
b (39). Mill Farm, house, nearly 2 m. N.E. of
the church, has an original chimney-stack with
b (40). Elm's Farm, house and barn, 2 m. N.E.
of the church. The House has modern additions
on the N. and S. sides.
The Barn, N.W. of the house, has weather-boarded walls.
b (41). Pigeon-house, at Oldborne's Farm, about
1 m. N.E. of the church, is built of brick and has
a timber lantern in the middle. The nests have
been removed, and the building is now used as a
stable. The walls have a moulded plinth and
string-course, and the three windows are each of two
lights with moulded jambs, mullions and labels.
b (42). Cottage, in Howe Street, about 1 m.
N.E. of the church.
b (43). Tile-kilns, farmhouse, 1 m. E.S.E. of
the church, was originally of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the S. and W. In
the 18th century a wing was added on the E. side,
making the plan T-shaped.
b (44). Cotton's Farm, house and barn, about
1½ m. E. of the church. The House has a brewhouse at the W. end.
The Barn, E. of the house, has a projecting
b (45). Cottage, at Scott's End, about 1½ m.
E.S.E. of the church.
c (46). Ashwell Hall, farmhouse and barn, 2 m.
S.E. of the church. The House is of half H-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the N.
The S. front has at each end a slightly projecting
The Barn, S.E. of the house, has a projecting
bay on the W. side.
c (47). Hawkins Harvest, farmhouse, nearly 1¾
m. S.E. of the church; it has an 18th-century
addition on the S.E. side. The original central
chimney-stack has diagonal pilasters.
c (48). Cottage, 280 yards N.N.W. of (47).
c (49). Cross Farm, house and barn, 1½ m.
S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys
with attics, and is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N.E. and N.W. The
original central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal
The Barn, near the house, is of five bays with
c (50). Cottage, N. of (49), with an early 18th-century brewhouse at the W. end.
b (51). Daw Street, house, 1 m. S.S.W. of the
church, was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century on an L-shaped plan, with the wings
extending towards the S. and E. There are
modern additions on the E. and W. The E.
front has two gables, one with original carved
barge-boards. Above the doorway of the porch
is a strip of original plaster-work. The two
original chimney-stacks both have diagonal
b (52). Cottage, at Little Winsey Farm, nearly
¾ m. S.W. of the church.