25. FOXEARTH. (E.b).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)vi. N.W. (b)vi. S.W.)
Foxearth is a small parish and village on the
border of Suffolk, about 3½ m. N.W. of Sudbury.
The Hall and the Post Office are the principal
a (1). Parish Church of St. Peter and St.
Paul stands on the E. side of the village. The
walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings, and
the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The Nave
is of uncertain date, but c. 1350 a N. aisle was
added and the Chancel was rebuilt. The North
Aisle was rebuilt and widened c. 1450, and the
North Chapel was added; the chancel-arch was
possibly removed at the same time. The West
Tower was added in 1862, and the church was
restored and the South Porch added during the
19th century. There is said to have been a S.
aisle, but no structural evidence remains.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft.
by 18¼ ft.) has an E. window of c. 1350, and of
three cinquefoiled ogee lights with leaf tracery
in a two-centred head; the internal and external
labels are chamfered. In the N. wall is a modern
doorway, and further W. a two-centred arch of
c. 1450 and of two hollow-chamfered orders; the
responds are moulded and shafted, with moulded
bases and capitals. In the S. wall are two windows;
the eastern is of c. 1350, partly restored, and of
two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head, under a chamfered label; the
western window is modern, except the internal
splays and hollow-chamfered rear arch, which
are of the 15th century. Between the windows
is a modern doorway. There is no chancel-arch,
but between the chancel and nave is a chamfered
and moulded beam, probably of the 15th century,
which rests on curved brackets and has plastered
timber-framing above it.
The North Chapel (27 ft. by 11¾ ft.) now the
vestry and organ-chamber, is of the 15th century,
and has an embattled parapet with crocketed
pinnacles. In the E. wall is a window of three
cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a three-centred
head; the label is moulded. In the N. wall are
two windows similar to that in the E. wall, but
with two-centred heads; the mullions of the
western window are partly restored. In the W.
wall is an arch similar to that in the N. wall
of the chancel, but the capitals have different
The Nave (42¾ ft. by 18¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of
c. 1350, and of four bays; the two-centred arches
are of two chamfered orders; the columns are
octagonal and the responds have attached halfcolumns; all with moulded capitals and bases. In
the S. wall are three windows, all modern except
the internal splays and rear arches, which are of
c. 1450; the two eastern windows have moulded
four-centred rear arches and moulded splays
with cinquefoiled heads; the western window
has a moulded segmental-pointed rear arch and
moulded splays; between the two western windows
is the modern S. doorway.
The North Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has, in the N.
wall, three windows; the eastern is modern except
the splays and rear arch which are similar to
the eastern windows in the nave; the two western
windows are similar to those in the N. wall
of the N. chapel. In the W. wall is a modern
The Roof of the chancel is of three bays, and
probably of c. 1350; it is of the trussed-rafter
type with moulded wall-plates; the brackets at
the feet of the principals rest on carved headcorbels of wood, of which some are original. The
lean-to roof of the N. chapel is probably of late
15th-century date; some of the rafters are moulded
and the rest, with the wall-plates, are stop-chamfered. The 15th-century roof of the nave is of
four bays with chamfered timbers and moulded
and embattled wall-plates; the trusses have each
two collar-beams, the lower supported by curved
brackets springing from wall-posts. The 15th-century lean-to roof of the N. aisle has moulded
main timbers; the principals have curved brackets
with carved spandrels, and the feet of the wallposts are carved with foliage or faces. The roofs
have all been painted.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 6th by Miles Graye,
1665. Brass: In chancel—on N. wall, to Joseph
Sidey, 1605, inscription only. Chair: In chancel—
with panelled back and moulded frame, carved
brackets supporting upper rail of back, shaped
arms with carved ends, and turned legs, early
17th-century. Piscina: In chancel—with hollow-chamfered jambs and cinquefoiled head, 15th-century, now painted, basin modern. Screen:
Between chancel and nave—with close lower
panels, six on each side of doorway, all with traceried heads and band of quatrefoils at base, each
panel painted with figure of saint, and name:
—(1) St. Barbara, (2) St. Helena, (3) St. Mary
Magdalene, (4) St. Dorothy, (5) St. Apollonia,
(6) The Blessed Virgin, (7) Our Lord (ihc),
(8) St. Alban, (9) St. Walstan, (10) St. Felix,
(11) St. Edmund, (12) St. Augustine (the Doctor),
early 16th-century, paintings partly restored, upper
part of screen, modern.
Condition—Good, much restored.
a (2). Foxearth Hall and moat, 400 yards
W.N.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed
and rough-cast; the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the second half of the 15th century on a rectangular plan with a central Hall, a Buttery at
the N. end and a Solar at the S. end. In the
16th century the Hall was divided into storeys,
and a wing was added projecting E. from the
original Buttery. There is a later addition at
the N. end. On the W. front, at the S. end the
upper storey projects and is gabled, and the 16th-century central chimney-stack of the main block
has four attached octagonal shafts on a square
Interior—On the ground floor the former Solar
has original moulded ceiling-beams and heavy
shaped posts. The former Hall has one chamfered
ceiling-beam, and the former Buttery has an open
timber ceiling. The staircase is original, but has
been covered by modern work; the staircase
to the attics has solid oak steps. On the first
floor the roof of the former Hall is visible and is
of three bays with smoke-blackened timbers and
king-post trusses; the tie-beams are cambered
and the braced king-posts have two-way struts.
The roof of the former Solar and of the 16th-century E. wing have exposed and cambered
tie-beams. One old door is of moulded and
nail-studded battens, and several modern doors
incorporate linen-fold panelling.
The Moat still surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house and moat, good.
a (3). West End Hall and moat, about 1,000
yards N.N.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built probably in the second half
of the 16th century, and has 18th-century or modern
additions on the E. side. The original central
chimney-stack has a panelled base and four
octagonal shafts with moulded bases.
The Moat is incomplete and dry.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings
have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
Main Street, N.E. side
a (4). Cottage, two tenements and post office, 300
yards W.N.W. of the church, was built in the 15th
century, probably on a half H-shaped plan, with
the wings extending towards the E.; the S.E. wing
has been destroyed. Early in the 16th century a
fireplace was inserted in the middle of the Hall, and
c. 1600 the Hall was divided into two storeys.
The early 16th-century fireplace is noteworthy.
Interior—On the first floor, in the former Hall,
the upper part of the 16th-century fireplace has
a moulded and embattled cresting with panelled
merlons; below it are sunk trefoil-headed panels
with blind tracery enriched with carved roses;
all probably of plastered brickwork. S. of the
chimney-stack is an original roof-truss with a
cambered tie-beam, octagonal king-post with
moulded capital and base, and four-way struts.
a (5). Cottage, three tenements, 100 yards W. of
the church, was built late in the 16th century, and
has modern additions at the E. and W. ends. The
original central chimney-stack has two trefoil-headed panels in the base, and a modern shaft.
a (6). Cottage, three tenements, on the N. side of
the turning to Belchamp Walter, 130 yards S.S.W.
of (5). It has an 18th-century wing at the E. end
and a modern addition at the back. The original
central chimney-stack has three grouped diagonal
a (7). Cottage, now two tenements, 140 yards S.W.
of the church, was built in the second quarter of the
16th century. The N. front and the back each
have a gable at the E. end. The original central
chimney-stack has four octagonal shafts, modern
at the top. Inside the building, on the ground
floor, the W. room has an original moulded ceiling-beam and joists. The E. room has a beam
with moulded casing of early 18th-century date.
On the first floor, the E. room has an original
a (8). Cottage, three tenements, 40 yards E. of
(7), with a modern extension at the E. end.
b (9). Eyston Lodge, now two tenements, about
1½ m. S.W. of the church. It has an 18th-century
wing on the N. side, making the plan T-shaped.
The roof of the main block is hipped at the ends.
Inside the building, the rooms on the ground floor
of the main block have open timber ceilings with
original moulded joists.
a (10). Cottage, now three tenements, ½ m. W.
of the church; it has an 18th-century addition
at the N. end and another on the W. side.
a (11). Constable's Farm, house, nearly ¾ m. N.
of the church. The upper storey projects and is
gabled at both the N. and S. ends of the house;
at the S. end the gable also projects, and both
the projections have original carved bressumers
with carved voluted brackets or consoles. At
the N. end the upper storey has an original moulded
bressumer with shaped brackets. Inside the
building, on the ground floor, the N. room has an
original moulded ceiling-beam.
a (12). Cottage, two tenements, 300 yards S.E. of
(11). Inside the building is one original moulded
beam, not in situ.
Condition—Bad. Pulled down since visit.