35. GREAT YELDHAM. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xi. N.W. (b)xi. N.E. (c)xi. S.E.)
Great Yeldham is a parish and village about
6 m. N.W. of Halstead, in the Colne valley. The
most important monuments are the Church and
the Old Rectory.
a (1). Parish Church of St. Andrew (see Plate,
p. 139) stands at the N. end of the village. The
walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings, except
the S. gable of the porch, which is of red brick, and
the W. tower, which is partly of brick; the roofs
of the N. aisle and the tower are covered with lead,
the other roofs are tiled. The Chancel was rebuilt
c. 1350, and the North Aisle was added at the same
time. A large S. tower was added to the earlier
Nave c. 1400, and the ground stage forms the
present South Porch. The South Chapel was built
late in the 15th century. If the S. tower was
ever completed, the upper part was destroyed
before the end of the 15th century, when the West
Tower was added. Early in the 16th century a
brick gable and an upper room were added to
the remains of the S. tower or S. porch. The
church was restored in the 19th century, when
the South Vestry and Organ-chamber were added.
Great Yeldham, Parish Church of Saint Andrew
The plan is of particular interest as it shows the
positions of the 14th-century and the 15th-century
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24¾ ft.
by 17¾ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the
N. wall are two mid 14th-century windows; the
eastern is of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery
under a segmental-pointed head and chamfered
label; the western window, considerably restored,
is of one lancet light carried down below a transom
to form a low-side window, rebated for a shutter.
In the S. wall is a window similar to the eastern
window in the N. wall; further W. is a modern
arch. The mid 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and moulded, and has moulded responds,
with moulded capitals and bases; on each side of
the chancel-arch is a 15th-century squint with a
cinquefoiled ogee head on the E. face; the southern
squint has been partly restored.
The Nave (41 ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of
two bays and is of c. 1350; the arches are moulded
and segmental-pointed, and the column is moulded
and shafted, with a moulded capital and base;
the responds have attached half-columns; there
is a modern opening in the wall E. of the arcade.
In the S. wall is a four-centred arch of late
15th-century date, of three chamfered orders
on the S. side, and of one hollow-chamfered
and one continuous moulded order on the N.
side; the responds are chamfered and shafted,
and have moulded bases and capitals. Further
W. is the late 14th-century S. doorway, with
moulded and chamfered jambs and two-centred
arch; the chamfered label has grotesque headstops. Near the W. end of the wall is a blocked
doorway leading to the stair turret of the former
S. tower; it is of late 14th-century date, and has
chamfered jambs and a moulded two-centred arch.
The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E.
wall, a window of three cinquefoiled lights, modern,
except the moulded splays and rear arch, which
are of c. 1350. In the N. wall are two windows,
all modern except the splays and one moulded
jamb-stone of the eastern window, and the moulded
splays and rear arch of the western window, which
are of the 14th century. Below the western
window are the bases of the jambs of the former
N. doorway. The window in the W. wall is modern,
except some re-used jamb-stones and the moulded
splays and rear arch, which are of the 14th century.
The South Chapel (13½ ft. by 16¼ ft.) has, in
the S. wall, a window entirely modern, except the
lower part of the moulded splays, which is of the
The West Tower (11 ft. square) was built entirely
c. 1490. It is of three stages with a moulded plinth,
a S.E. stair-turret and a crow-stepped embattled
parapet; the middle merlon on each side of the
parapet has a carved figure of an angel, and there
are crocketed pinnacles at the angles; the offsets
of the buttresses have embattled cornices. The
two-centred tower-arch is of three moulded or
chamfered orders, the two outer being continuous;
the inner order of the responds has moulded bases
and capitals. In the S. wall the doorway to the
stair-turret has chamfered jambs and a four-centred arch. The W. doorway has richly moulded
jambs and a two-centred arch with a moulded
label mitred to a square label with plain spandrels;
the W. window is of three trefoiled ogee lights
with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head,
and has a moulded label. The second stage has,
in the W. wall, a small window of one trefoiled
light with a moulded label; the head of the light
is blind. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a
window of three trefoiled and transomed lights
under a four-centred head with a moulded label
The South Porch (12 ft. square) is the ground
stage of the former S. tower. It is of two storeys
with an attic, and has a crow-stepped S. gable
of brick. The 14th-century outer entrance has
richly moulded responds and a two-centred arch
with an ogee label which is moulded and crocketed;
flanking it are small buttresses finished with small
gables, pinnacles and carved finials. The E. and
W. walls have each a small window of one pointed
light with moulded jambs, head and label; the
window in the E. wall now opens into the S. chapel.
The first-floor chamber has a modern window in the
S. wall. The S. gable has an imitation or blocked
window of brick and of three pointed lights under
a square head with a moulded label.
The Roofs of the chancel and nave are modern,
but each has an old tie-beam. The flat roof of the
N. aisle has moulded main timbers of the 15th
Fittings— Brackets: In nave—N. and S. of the
chancel-arch, two plain corbels of wood, pierced
with vertical holes, to support the former rood-beam. Brasses: In S. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to
Elizabeth (Quarles) wife of John Symonds, 1666,
inscription only; (2) of Richard Symonds, 1627,
and Elizabeth (Plume) his wife, plate with kneeling
figures of man, woman, five sons and one daughter,
shield of arms; (3) to Orlando Fitzsymonds,
1691, inscription only. Chairs: In chancel—
with panelled back, having guilloche ornament
and shaped top, arms carved and legs moulded,
early 17th-century. In upper storey of porch—
two, with carved backs and front rails; the
legs of one chair twisted, of the other turned,
late 17th-century. Chests: In S. chapel—plain
oak hutch with moulded edge to lid and money
slot, probably 17th-century. In upper storey of
porch—plain, with three hasps and a money slot,
17th-century. Doors: In S. doorway—of plain
battens with foliated scutcheon and drop-handle,
iron staple on jamb, 14th-century. In tower—
in doorway of stair-turret, of battens with
hollow-chamfered frame planted on, c. 1500;
in W. doorway, of ridged battens with moulded
muntins, probably c. 1500. In outer entrance of
S. porch—similar to that in W. doorway, early
16th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded
lower edge, stem panelled on five sides only,
possibly late 15th-century. Monuments: In S.
chapel—on E. wall, (1) to Richard Fitzsymonds,
1680, tablet with carved drapery, cherub-heads
and cartouche of arms; on S. wall, (2) to Susanna
(Bastwick) wife of Dr. Burgoyne, 1685, black and
white marble tablet with entablature, broken
pediment and cartouche of arms; on W. wall,
(3) to John Symonds, 1692, black and white marble
tablet with carved pilasters at sides, entablature
supporting cherubs and a cartouche of arms.
Niches: On S. porch—on S. wall, flanking window
on first floor, two; each with moulded jambs,
pointed head and ogee label, crocketed, and with
carved finials and stops, 14th-century, pedestal
defaced. Piscinæ: In N. aisle—in sill of modern
arch, E. of N. arcade, quatrefoil drain, probably
14th-century. In S. chapel—in S. wall, with
moulded jambs, cinquefoiled ogee head and
quatrefoil drain, 14th-century, re-set. Pulpit: of
oak, octagonal, with arcaded panels enriched with
guilloche ornament, moulded top, early 17th-century, partly restored, base modern. Screen: Under
chancel-arch—of oak, and of six bays, the two
middle bays forming entrance, all with cinquefoiled
ogee and sub-cusped heads, having tracery above
them, buttresses and pinnacles between the bays,
moulded and embattled cornice and moulded middle
rail, close lower panels with traceried heads, the four
lower panels on S. side with remains of painted
figures—(a) almost obliterated; (b) probably St.
Ursula with an arrow and book; (c) bishop or
abbot with claw-hammer, probably St. Eloy; (d)
St. Edmund the King, late 15th-century, screen
much restored. Sedilia: In chancel—sill of S.E.
window carried down to form seat, splays cut square
and having trefoiled ogee and sub-cusped heads,
14th-century, seat modern. In S. chapel—sill
of S. window carried down to form seat with
chamfered edge, 15th-century. Stoup: In S.
porch—plain arched recess with rectangular bowl,
having cusped ornament in front, probably 14th
century. Miscellanea: In S. porch—fragments
of oak tracery, late 15th-century.
Condition—Good, but much ivy on S. side of
a (2). Yeldham Hall, 100 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. The plan is Lshaped, with the wings extending towards the S.W.
and N.W. The N.W. wing was built c. 1500.
Probably in the 17th century the S.W. wing was
added, with a small staircase wing in the angle
between it and the N.W. wing. There is a modern
addition on the N.W. side of the 17th-century
wing. Two of the chimney-stacks are of old
brickwork. Inside the building, some of the
rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams and shaped
wall-posts. In the N.W. wing a room is lined
with panelling of c. 1600, and over the fireplace are
a few pieces of 16th-century linen-fold panelling.
On the first floor is a 17th-century panelled door.
Of the two staircases, one has late 16th or early
17th-century flat pierced balusters and newels
with turned terminals; the other staircase has
twisted balusters and a moulded handrail of c. 1700.
The roof of the N.W. wing has a rough original
Condition—Good, much altered.
b (3). Spaynes Hall, about 600 yards S.E. of
the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. The House was
built early in the 17th century, probably on an
L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards
the N. and W. Probably late in the same century a
second wing was added on the W., making the plan
half-H-shaped. There are 18th-century or modern
additions on the W. On the E. front the upper
storey projects and rests on original shaped and
carved brackets, it is gabled at the N. and S. ends,
and has a projecting gable in the middle. There
are two gabled projections on the S. elevation; the
western gable has original barge-boards carved with
arabesque ornament. Two of the chimney-stacks
are original and have attached diagonal shafts.
Interior:—The middle room of the main block
has an open timber ceiling, and the walls are
wainscoted with early 17th-century panelling; the
carved and panelled overmantel has carved
pilasters, and has been partly restored. The S.
room is lined with linen-fold, traceried, and moulded
panelling, probably brought from elsewhere; the
fireplace has an early 17th-century carved and
panelled overmantel with carved pilasters. Other
rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams, and there is
an original door of moulded battens.
a (4). The Old Rectory, 50 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with cellar and attics;
the walls are timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built, probably late in the
15th century, on an H-shaped plan, with the crosswings at the N. and S. ends. There is a modern
addition at the S. end. On the E. front the upper
storey projects. The cellar under the W. wing
has an original doorway with a four-centred head,
and a door of studded battens.
Interior:—The former Hall, in the main block,
has original moulded ceiling-beams and joists. A
room in the S. wing has an original moulded and
carved ceiling-beam. The S.W. wing has, on the
first floor, an elaborate roof (see Plate, p. xxxiv) of
two bays with moulded timbers; the middle truss
has curved braces forming a four-centred arch, and
the spandrels are carved with foliage and shields
bearing the following badges—a water bouget and
fetter-lock, the Bouchier knot, a merchant's mark,
fleur de lis, rose, crown, chequer-board and the
a (5). Gunces Farm, house, about 1 m. W. of
the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built late
in the 15th century on a half-H-shaped plan, with
the wings extending towards the W. Probably
late in the 16th century the Hall was divided into
two storeys, and a chimney-stack was inserted.
The S.W. wing was further extended, probably in
the 17th century, and there is a modern addition
between the wings. On the E. front the upper
storey projects and there are three gables. Inside
the building, the lower storey of the former Hall
has moulded ceiling-beams and two moulded
brackets of the 16th century. Other rooms have
chamfered ceiling-beams. The roof of the S.W.
wing has two original king-post trusses, with
chamfered king-posts which have two-way struts.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have
original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed
Condition—Good or fairly good, without exception.
a (6). Weybridge Farm, house, nearly 1½ m.
W.N.W. of the church.
a (7). Borley's Farm, house, now three tenements,
200 yards E. of (6), with an 18th-century addition
on the N. side. The original central chimney-stack has three attached diagonal shafts.
a (8). Man's Cross Farm, house, 700 yards
W.N.W. of the church, is of T-shaped plan, with
the cross-wing at the E. end. There are 18th
century additions in the angles between the wings.
The original central chimney-stack has a small
buttress at one angle.
a (9). Change Farm, house, now two tenements,
150 yards N. of the church, was originally of
T-shaped plan, with the cross-wing at the S.W.
end. Probably early in the 18th century an
addition was made on the N.W. side of the N.E.
wing, extending beyond it, and there are modern
additions on the N.E. side of the cross-wing. The
S.W. front has a gable at each end, and an original
chimney-stack with two octagonal shafts, modern
at the top. There are two gables at the back of
the original cross-wing. The original chimney-stack of the N.E. wing has four octagonal shafts,
modern at the top. Inside the building, the
staircase is original, and has flat shaped balusters
to the upper flight, and square newels with turned
a (10). School House, 100 yards E.S.E. of the
church, has a small staircase-wing on the S. side.
In the 18th century a wing was added at the E.
end of the N. side, making the plan L-shaped.
The 18th-century wing has a modern extension.
Inside the building are two original doors of
a (11). House, now two tenements, on the W.
side of the Colne Bridge, 400 yards S.S.E. of the
church, was built c. 1500 on a rectangular plan.
Early in the 17th century a wing was added at the
N. end of the W. side, and other small additions
were made on the same side. There are modern
additions on the N. side of the 17th-century wing.
The E. front has a gable at each end, and there
are three gables at the back of the main block.
Inside the building, the N. room of the original
block has a 16th-century moulded ceiling-beam,
and the middle room has some early 17th-century
panelling. On the first floor are heavy wall-posts,
and in a cupboard is a window with old quarry
glazing, re-fixed. Two cambered tie-beams with
curved braces are visible in the original block,
and in the roof of the 17th-century wing are
fragmentary remains of a king-post truss.
b (12). House, now an inn, on the S. side
of the Little Yeldham Road, ¼ m. S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics; it has
modern additions at the E. and W. ends. The
original central chimney-stack has grouped diagonal
shafts. Inside the building is an original door of
b (13). House, two tenements, 30 yards N.W. of
(12), was originally of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and N. Late in the 17th
century a wing was added on the N.E. side of the
N. wing. There is a modern addition on the S. side
of the W. wing. The original central chimney-stack has two octagonal shafts.
a (14). Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of
the Tilbury Road, 300 yards W.S.W. of the church,
with a modern addition at the N. end. The
chimney-stack is original, and has two buttresses
b (15). Brook Farm, house, 600 yards N.E. of the
church, was built late in the 15th century, on an
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S. and W. It had a central Hall with a Solar at
the S. end and a Buttery in the W. wing. The Hall
was divided into two storeys, probably early in the
17th century, and there are 18th-century and
modern additions on the W. side. The E. front
has a gable at the N. end with 16th-century
moulded barge-boards. The main roof is hipped
at the S. end. The 17th-century chimney-stack at
the N. end has a shaft, cross-shaped on plan, set
diagonally on a square base with a moulded capping. Inside the building, the former Hall has a
roof of two bays with an original king-post truss;
the cambered tie-beam has curved braces, and the
stop-chamfered king-post has two-way struts.
Main Street, W. side
a (16). House, now three tenements, 700 yards
S.S.E. of the church, was built c. 1500, on a half-H-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. Early in the 17th century the staircase was
added between the wings, and there are modern
additions on the E. and W. sides. On the E. front
the upper storey projects and is gabled at the S.
end; the projection has curved brackets springing
from much weathered wall-shafts with moulded
capitals. Inside the building, the two southern
rooms of the main block have original moulded
ceiling-beams and joists; at the back is an original
doorway, formerly external; it has a three-centred head and a plain battened door. The
staircase has flat shaped balusters of early 17th-century date.
b (17). The White Hart Inn, 1,100 yards S.S.E. of
(16), was built c. 1500, on a half-H-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the W. Early in the
17th century small additions were made between
the wings and at the S. end. Modern additions
make the plan rectangular. On the E. front,
there is a gable at each end, and the upper storey
projects, except below the S. gable. The 16th-century central chimney-stack has gabled buttresses
and four modern octagonal shafts with old moulded
bases. At the back of the original building is a
door of richly moulded battens. The 16th-century
chimney-stack of the N.W. wing has three octagonal
shafts. Inside the building, the timber framing
and some shaped and moulded wall-posts are
visible. On the ground floor a modern room is
lined with early 17th-century panelling, which has a
carved frieze. On the first floor several rooms have
panelled walls, now covered with paper. At the top
of the staircase are some flat wavy balusters of the
17th century. The roof of the S.W. wing has a
rough original king-post truss.
b (18). Lovington's Farm, house, 1¼ m. S.S.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics, and has
18th-century or modern additions on the W. side.
The gable at the N. end has original carved and
moulded barge-boards. The original S. chimney-stack has a shaft, cross-shaped on plan, set
diagonally; the top is modern. Inside the building, the N. room is lined with original panelling,
and has a carved and panelled overmantel.
b (19). Outbuilding, at Pool Farm, 200 yards
N.N.E. of (18), is partly timber-framed with brick
filling, partly weather-boarded and partly of brick.
It was built in the 16th century, and twice extended
towards the N. during the 17th century. There are
modern additions on the E. side. Inside the
building, the N. part of the original block has
original moulded ceiling-beams; the roof is of the
king-post type, much repaired.
b (20). Cottage, two tenements, 150 yards N.W. of
(19), with modern additions on the E. side.
b (21). Cottage, 100 yards N. of (20), was originally
of half-H-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the E. There are 18th-century or modern
additions on the N. side and at the S.E. angle of
the house. The W. front and S. end have been
re-faced with modern brick. The original central
chimney-stack has a sunk panel with a date,
b (22). House and outbuilding, 750 yards S.S.E. of
the church. The House was built in the 15th
century, with a central Hall and slightly projecting
cross-wings at the N. and S. ends. Early in the
17th century the Hall was divided into two storeys,
and the N. cross-wing was extended towards the E.
The W. front has been re-faced with modern brick,
and there are modern additions at the back. At
the W. end of the N. cross-wing the upper storey
projects, and has some curved brackets. The
17th-century chimney-stack at the back has two
diagonal shafts. Inside the building, the roof of
the former Hall is of two bays, and has an original
king-post truss with a steeply cambered tie-beam
and a moulded king-post.
The Outbuilding, E. of the house, is now partly
a cottage, and is of four bays, mostly weather-boarded. It was built c. 1500, and has original
king-post trusses with curved braces.
a (23). Cottage, on the N. side of the Finchingfield
Road, 1,100 yards S. of the church.