42. LANGLEY. (A.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)vii. S.E. (b)viii. S.W.)
Langley is an agricultural parish with two
scattered hamlets, about 8 m. W. by S. of Saffron
Walden; until 1875 it was a chapelry of Clavering.
b (1). Parish Church of St. John the Evangelist stands at the N. end of Upper Green. The
walls of the nave and tower are of pebble rubble,
but the facing is almost entirely modern; the
dressings are of limestone and clunch; the chancel
walls are of red brick; the roofs are covered with
tiles. The Nave is probably of the 12th century.
The West Tower was added in the 14th century,
and c. 1560 the Chancel was rebuilt. The church
was restored in 1885, when the upper stage of
the W. tower and perhaps the S. wall of the nave
were rebuilt, and the North Vestry and South Porch
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25¼ ft.
by 13½ ft.) is entirely of c. 1560, the detail being
all of brick. The E. window is of three four-centred lights under a four-centred main head
with a moulded external label; the jambs
and mullions are moulded. In the N. wall
is a modern doorway to the vestry. In
the S. wall are two windows, each of two rounded
lights under a three-centred head, of detail similar
to that of the E. window; externally they have
imitation masonry of plaster. Between the windows is a doorway with double chamfered jambs and
segmental head. There is a modern bressumer in
place of a chancel-arch.
The Nave (45¾ ft. by 19½ ft.) has, in the N. wall
two windows; the eastern is of two cinquefoiled
ogee lights with tracery under a two-centred head,
almost entirely modern; only the tracery and part
of the splays are of late 14th or early 15th-century
date; the western window is a single round-headed
light, modern externally, but with 12th-century
splays and rear arch. Further W. is the blocked
N. doorway, also modern externally, but with an
old segmental rear arch. In the S. wall are three
windows, the easternmost is of two trefoiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; it is
modern externally, but internally of late 13th-century date; the middle window is of modern
brick with a few 16th-century bricks incorporated
in it; the westernmost window is a single modern
light with some old stones in the splays. Between
the western windows is the mid 12th-century S.
doorway, with a semi-circular head of two moulded
orders and a chamfered label; the jambs are
modern, except the capitals of the shafted outer
order and the chamfered abacus of each order.
The West Tower (8 ft. square) is of two stages.
The lower is divided into two storeys and is
of the 14th century; the upper stage is modern.
The 14th-century tower-arch is pointed and of two
chamfered orders; the responds have attached
semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. The 14th-century W. window is of two
trefoiled ogee lights, with tracery in a two-centred
head; externally it is modern.
The Roof of the nave is of late 15th-century date,
considerably restored, and of four bays, with five
trusses of double hammer-beam type, with tiebeams above the lower hammer-beams; the collars
and hammer-beams are moulded, and carved with
running foliage; the wall-posts also are moulded;
only one tie-beam is original.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st, 3rd and 4th by
Richard Keene, 1702. Communion-Table: with
carved apron, turned legs and moulded rail,
17th-century. Font: plain octagonal bowl, date
uncertain, stem modern. Glass: In E. window—
Royal (Stuart) Arms, late 17th-century. Plate:
Includes cup of 1563 and paten with three feet,
Condition—Good, much restored.
The following monuments are generally of two
storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster
or weather-boarding, and are all of the 17th century. The roofs are covered with tiles or thatch.
Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks,
wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b (2). Langley Hall, now a farmhouse, 30 yards
N.E. of the church, has an 18th-century kitchen at
the W. end, and modern additions on the N. and E.
sides. The E. and W. gables of the main block have
original moulded barge-boards, with dentils. The
original central chimney-stack has four engaged
shafts, set diagonally.
b (3.) Cottage, two tenements, at the corner of
the turning, 160 yards S.E. of the church, was
built probably early in the 18th century.
b (4). Cottage, a range of four tenements, on the
W. side of the Green, ½ m. S.S.W. of the church.
b (5). Cottage, two tenements, between Upper and
Lower Green, 750 yards S.W. of the church.
a (6). Cottage, two tenements, at the N. end of
the Green, opposite to the Inn, 300 yards S.W. of
a (7). Cottage, two tenements, on the E. side of
the Green, 400 yards S.E. of (6), with half-hipped
gables and a modern addition at the back.
b (8). Cottage, two tenements, 220 yards S.E.
b (9). Cottage, 120 yards S.E. of (8), built
probably early in the 18th century, with a low
wing on the S.W.