3. BARKING. (C.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxxiii. S.E. (b)lxxiv. S.W.)
Barking is a parish and suburb of London on the
Roding river, adjoining East Ham on the E. The
church, the remains of the Abbey, the Court
House and Eastbury House are the principal
a(1). Roman tiles and a coin of Magnentius,
found in the ruins of the Abbey Church, may
indicate a Roman building in the neighbourhood.
Roman pottery is found from time to time in Uphall
Camp, Ilford, but the actual ramparts have no
resemblance to Roman work. (See Sectional
Preface, p. xxviii).
a(2). Parish Church of St. Margaret stands
on the W. side of the town. The walls are of
flint and rag-stone rubble except the tower which
is of Reigate stone ashlar; the dressings are of
Reigate stone with some re-used Caen stone ashlar.
The roofs are partly tiled and partly lead covered.
The Chancel was built in the first half of the 13th
century and at this period the building probably
also included an aisled Nave with a crossing and
transepts; of these buildings only the columns of
the N. arcade of the Nave remain standing and
possibly the bases of the two eastern columns of
the S. arcade; the aisles, although re-built, are
probably of their original width and there is
evidence of former transepts in the greater width
of the E. bays of the arcades and in the set back
of the springing in the S. wall of the W. arch of the
S. chapel. During the 15th and 16th centuries
extensive alterations were made, but their precise
sequence is uncertain. Probably the earliest work
was the reconstruction of the N. arcade of the Nave
with the retention of the old columns, this work
extended at least to the two middle bays. The S.
arcade was built or re-built later in the 15th century
W. of the transept arch and this was followed by the
addition of the West Tower about the middle of
the century and the probable re-construction of the
two westernmost bays of the arcades, and lengthening of both aisles to flank the tower. The North
and South Chapels were built in the first half of the
15th century, the South probably the earlier;
the South Vestry was added later in the century.
Later in the 15th century the chancel-arch was remodelled and the two eastern arches of the Nave
arcades were built. It was possibly then that
the transepts were removed. Early in the 16th
century the Outer North Aisle was added, probably
in three periods, one immediately succeeding the
other, the first being the easternmost two bays up
to the then existing N. porch, the second being the
next two bays after the porch had been removed,
the third being the bay flanking the tower; the N.
Porch was subsequently reconstructed where it
now stands. The Outer North Chapel was built
late in the 16th century with the debris of the
destroyed Abbey. The plaster ceilings of the
church are of the 18th century, and the whole
building has been restored in that and the 19th
The church has been so much altered as to lose
most of its architectural interest, but amongst the
fittings the incised slab and font are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (46 ft.
by 17½ ft.) has an early 16th-century E. window
of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head
and is plastered externally. In the N. wall are
two early 13th-century lancet windows, and further
W. is a 15th-century arcade of two bays with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders,
octagonal column and semi-octagonal responds
with modern cement capitals and moulded bases
partly cut away or repaired. In the S. wall is a
late 15th-century doorway with 17th-century
linings and a modern frame; above it is a blocked
13th-century lancet window, visible externally;
further W. is an arcade uniform with that on the
N. but with the bases set at a lower level; on it
are a number of mason's marks. The late 15th-century chancel-arch is four-centred and of two
hollow-chamfered orders; it dies on to the plain
chamfered responds and incorporates some 13th-century voussoirs.
The North Chapel (26 ft. by 12 ft.) has a modern
E. window. In the N. wall is a mid or late 16th-century arcade of two bays with cemented two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders;
the circular pier and responds are apparently of
the 12th century, probably brought from the
abbey, and have scalloped capitals without abaci
and mostly restored in cement. In the W. wall
is an early 15th-century, two-centred arch of two
hollow-chamfered orders dying into the walls.
Barking, The Parish Church of St. Margaret.
The Outer North Chapel (15½ ft. wide) has walls
largely composed of 12th-century ashlar and worked
stones probably from the abbey. The E. window
is modern. In the N. wall is an 18th-century
doorway, and E. of it are two blocked windows
probably used as building material, the eastern
is of early 15th-century date and was of three
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head;
the western window is probably of early 16th-century date and has a segmental head.
The South Vestry has late 15th-century outer
walls with an embattled parapet; it was refitted
in 1698 and has in the E. and S. walls a square
headed window of that date with two lights and a
solid wooden frame.
The South Chapel (21½ ft. by 12 ft.) has in the
E. wall traces of a blocked window. In the S. wall
are two windows, the eastern of the 18th century
and the western modern except for some re-used
stones in the splays; between the windows is an
early 15th-century doorway, now blocked, and of
which the E. jamb and part of the two-centred
head are visible externally. In the W. wall is an
early 15th-century, two-centred arch of two
hollow-chamfered orders dying on to the chamfered
respond on the N. and set back into the wall on the
S.; the respond has re-used 13th-century material.
The Nave (68 ft. by 21 ft.) has a N. arcade of
four bays; the easternmost arch is probably of
late 15th-century date and is four-centred and of
two hollow-chamfered orders incorporating some
13th-century voussoirs; the other arches are
probably of early 15th-century date and are two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the octagonal
columns are of small stones and probably of the
13th century; the capitals are all modern except
those of the third column, and the W. respond
where part of the mid 15th-century moulded
capitals remain; the westernmost arch is higher
than the others and has some re-used 13th-century
voussoirs; the bases are modern except that to
the third column where part of a chamfered base
is exposed. The S. arcade corresponds in form
to the N. arcade but is of later 15th-century date;
except possibly the bases of two piers which do
not fit the columns above them; the arches have
plastered outer orders, and all the capitals and
bases are cemented or modern except that the
third column has a portion of the original capital
cut back; the westernmost arch has a number of
mason's marks. The late 18th-century clearstorey
has on each side four windows groined into the
The North Aisle (9¼ ft. wide) has in the N. wall
an early 16th-century arcade of five bays with
moulded four-centred arches, the outer members
continuous and the inner resting on attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the piers
vary in width and the westernmost arch is higher
and wider than the others; E. of the arcade is a
window of three cinque-foiled lights, not grooved
for glazing, in a square head; it probably served as
a squint. In the W. wall is a 15th-century doorway
to the turret staircase, with moulded jambs and four
The Outer North Aisle (16¼ ft. wide) is continuous with the outer N. chapel, and is of early
16th-century date. In the N. wall are four early
16th-century windows; the three eastern are of
two cinque-foiled lights with tracery in segmental-pointed heads; the westernmost is of similar
character, but of three lights with a moulded
label; all much restored; between the second and
third windows is the N. doorway with moulded
jambs and two-centred arch in a square head, with
quatre-foiled spandrels, enclosing discs and a
moulded label; it is possibly not in situ. E. of
the N. porch is a large patch of re-used ashlar
enclosing a re-set 16th-century window of two
pointed lights; this patch may represent the position of a former N. doorway. In the W. wall
is a three-light window, modern externally but
with splays and rear-arch partly of the 16th
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the S. wall
four windows all modern, except for some re-used
stones in the splays and rear-arches. In the W.
wall is a window, modern externally, but with late
15th-century splays and rear-arch.
The West Tower (14½ ft. by 13½ ft.) is of the 15th
century and of three stages with moulded plinth,
string-courses and embattled parapet with the
stair-turret rising above it. The E. tower-arch is
two-centred and of two moulded orders; the
responds are splayed and have attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
The N. and S. arches are similar in detail but much
lower. The W. window and doorway are modern
externally but have old splays and four-centred
rear-arches; below the window is a gallery formerly
part of a lower floor to the tower and entered by a
doorway from the stair-turret uniform with that at
the end of the N. aisle. The second stage has in
the E. wall traces of a former doorway. In the
N., S. and W. walls are windows, all modern
externally. The bell-chamber has in each wall a
window, modern externally.
The North Porch is covered with cement, but is
probably of early 16th-century date. The two-centred outer archway is roughly moulded and has
responds, each with an attached shaft with a
moulded capital, perhaps of the 13th century,
The Roofs of the whole building are ceiled
except that of the N. porch which is of the 15th
century, re-used and has a tie-beam, king-post,
four-way struts and double chamfered plates.
The Churchyard has walls largely of rag-stone
rubble and probably of the 16th or 17th century.
At the W. end is a length of red-brick wall with
buttresses and two niches with four-centred heads
in the W. face, all probably of the 16th century.
(For the Fire Bell Gate, see Barking Abbey).
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In
chancel—(1) of priest in academic robes with chalice,
c. 1480, inscription lost; (2) of Thomas Broke,
1493, and Alice his wife, with figures of man and
wife, one son and one daughter; slab cut for an
earlier brass and with indent of figure and two
shields; (3) of John Tedcastell and Elizabeth
(Mey) his wife, 1596, with figures of man and wife,
four sons and five swaddled infants, scrolls and
achievement of arms; indent of figures of
seven daughters. In N. chapel—(4) fragments of
scroll with indents of figures of two civilians, two
women, Trinity and inscription-plate, c. 1480.
In nave—(5) to Christopher Merell, 1593, and Anne
Yardlye, his sister, 1579, inscription and shield
of arms. In N. aisle—(6) of Richard Malet, 1485,
chaplain of the Sampkyns Chantry, half-figure of
priest in mass vestments, found on site of abbey.
Loose in vestry—(7) Lombardic capitals L and I
found on site of abbey, early 14th-century. Indents: In chancel—(1) of inscription plate;
(2) of figure and inscription plate. In N. chapel—
(3) of three groups of children. In nave—(4)
of civilian and three wives, inscription plate, five
scrolls, Trinity and bell, mid 15th-century; (5)
of kneeling figure with inscription plate. In N.
aisle—(6) of two figures, inscription and two
groups of children; (7) of inscription plate and
small figure; (8) of shield. In outer N. aisle—
(9) of man and woman with inscription plate,
late 15th-century. In S. aisle—(10) of man and
woman, inscription plate, and two groups of
children, early 16th-century. Chairs: In chancel
—two, with turned and carved posts, carved backs
and arms, late 17th or early 18th-century. Door:
see Panelling. Font and cover: (Plate p. xxxii).
In outer N. aisle—stone stem carved with scrolls,
etc. Bowl of same font now at Creeksmouth
church, octagonal and moulded with three carved
cartouches and foliage ornament; ogee-shaped
oak cover surmounted by dove, early 17th-century.
Glass: loose in vestry, fragments from site of
abbey, mostly 15th-century. Helm: In N. aisle—
on N. wall, funeral helm with vizor, late 16th-century. Inscriptions: On tower arch—including
series of numerals and head-shaped design, 15th
or 16th-century. Locker: In chancel—in E.
wall, with rebated jambs and two-centred head,
re-set, date uncertain. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on E. wall, (1)
to Elizabeth (Bennet) widow of the Hon. Robert
Bertie, 1712, marble Corinthian pilaster with
drapery, urn and cartouche of arms; on N. wall,
(2) of Francis Fuller, 1636, marble tablet with
bust in oval niche, segmental pediment and three
shields of arms. On S. wall, (3) to Robert, son of
Robert Bertie. Earl of Lindsey, 1701, white
marble tablet with Ionic side-pilasters, trophies of
arms and two shields of arms; (4) to Alice
(Bernard), wife of the Hon. Robert Bertie, 1677,
white marble tablet with Composite side-columns,
segmental pediment and two shields of arms; (5)
to Elizabeth (Powle), widow of M. Hobart, 1590,
alabaster panel with black marble inscription and
two shields of arms; (6) of Sir Charles Montagu,
1625, marble wall-monument with recessed panel
carved with a man in armour seated in a tent,
camp in background, broken pediment with
shield of arms. In S. chapel—on E. wall, (7) to
John Fanshaw, 1699, white marble tablet with
broken pediment and shield of arms. In N. aisle
—(8) to William Pownset, 1553, moulded white
marble sarcophagus and black marble slab, repaired in 1784. In churchyard—on E. wall of
chancel, (9) to Thomas More, 1670, plain tablet;
(10) To Mary...... late 17th-century, headstone with skull and cross-bones; N. of chancel,
(11) to William Kempton, 1709, headstone; (12)
to Thomas Pittman, 1705, headstone; N. of N.
chapel, (13) to Gilbert Jones, 1713, headstone;
(14) to ...... 1703 (?), headstone with skull
and cross-bones; (15) to Jane, daughter of Edward
Younge, 1689, headstone with skull and crossbones; (16) to...... 1679; S. of nave, (17)
to Anthony..... oe, 1708, headstone; (18) to
Edward Holmes and Robert Cooke, 170–, headstone with skull and cross-bones. Floor-slabs:
In chancel—against N. wall, (1) of Martin, first
vicar of Barking , incised half-figure of
priest in mass vestments with Lombardic inscription, (Plate p. 103) found on site of abbey;
on floor, (2) to John, 1677, and Augustin Brewster,
1708, with shield of arms; (3) to Francis Osbaston,
16–; (4) to Ann Wilmer, Abraham Wilmer and
Elizabeth Wilmer, 1711, with shield of arms; (5)
to...... Fanshawe, 1689. In outer N. chapel
—(6) to Paul Stevens, 1675, and Judeth (Reymers), 1697, with shield of arms; (7) to Capt.
John Bennett, 1706, and Mary, his wife, 1712.
In outer N. chapel—against N. wall, (8) part of
black marble slab with marginal inscription—
[M] AVRICII. EPI. LVNDONENSIS . ALFGIVE
. ABBE . BE. ..... probably early 12th-century. In nave—(9) to Thomas Stych, 1656,
with defaced shield of arms; (10) to Mary (Dunche),
wife of Thomas Kirton, 1638, with two shields of
arms; (11) to Rebecca Hubbard, 1714, and John
Hubbard, sen., 1669. In S. aisle—(12) to Mrs.
Christian Cogan, 1710. Panelling: In chancel—
on E. wall, two arched panels with key-blocks
and imposts, c. 1700. In S. vestry—walls lined
with panelling with cornice, door and cupboard,
on W. wall cartouche of the Bertie arms and
inscription recording redecoration of vestry, 1698.
Piscinæ: In chancel—in N. wall, divided by
shelf to form two recesses with four-centred heads
and foliated spandrels, lower shelf cut back, early
16th-century, probably not in situ. In N. chapel—
in E. wall, generally similar to last, but much
damaged, early 16th-century. Plate: includes paten
given in (16)77; flagon of 1680, given in 1681
and with two shields of arms; cup and cover
paten of 1680, both with shields of arms, and alms-dish of c. 1700, with shield of arms and elaborate
repoussé ornament. Recess (Plate p. 85): In
N.E. pier of tower, with moulded four-centred
head and embattled cornice, ornamental vaulted
soffit, three sides of recess with traceried panels
and one with small niche, 15th-century, uncertain
use. Table: In vestry—of oak with turned legs
and added gate-leg flaps, late 17th-century.
Miscellanea: In N. aisles—part of shaft of Saxon
Cross with interlacing ornament; fragment of
stone with the letters "ollo"; large stone basin
with sloping upper surface; fragments of worked
stone from site of abbey, late 12th and 15th-century. In vestry—tiles and various small
objects from site of abbey. In churchyard—W. of
tower, fragments of window tracery, 15th-century.
Condition.—Fairly good structurally, but some
cracks in chancel walls.
a(3) Barking Abbey, ruins, immediately N. of
the parish churchyard, consist of little more than
the general lay-out of the main building, the
"Fire-bell" or Cemetery Gate and part of the
precinct wall. The abbey was founded c. 666 by
St. Erkenwald for Benedictine nuns, and became
one of the most important houses of the order in
England. The remains are of rag-stone rubble
with dressings of Reigate, Binstead and Caen
stone. The main lay-out of the building appears
to be of late 12th-century date. Early in the 13th
century the Abbey church was extended to the
E. by the addition of a "Saint's Chapel" and a
projecting chapel beyond it. Other work of the
same period is apparent in the building N. of the
chapter-house. The Infirmary chapel and the
Cemetery gate are of the 15th century. The abbey
was dissolved in 1539 and the church destroyed in
1541. The site was excavated in 1910, but many
of the walls had previously been entirely removed.
The remains, though scanty, are interesting as
those of an important house, and the "Fire-bell"
gate contains a remarkable early 13th-century rood.
Architectural Description—The Church has been
entirely destroyed except for parts of the Lady
Chapel, the S. sides of the Saints' Chapel, S. aisle
of the presbytery, S. transept with an eastern
chapel, S. aisle of the nave and S.W. tower. None
of the walls are standing more than about 6 ft.
above the former floor level, and the remainder
of the reconstructed plan of the church and
claustral buildings has been laid out on the ground
in modern rag-stone.
The Lady Chapel (24 ft. by 16 ft.) was of early
13th-century date, and retains in the two E.
angles the moulded bases of the former vaulting
shafts. The Saints' Chapel (46½ ft. by 42 ft.) is
represented only by the S. wall; in the S.E. angle
is the base of a vaulting shaft similar to those
in the Lady Chapel. The Presbytery (with its
aisles 71 ft. by 64½ ft.) has in the S. aisle wall
remains of two 12th-century responds and between
them the set back in the walls of a former arcade
of three bays, of which the moulded base of one
shaft is still in situ. Traces of a former apse at
the end of this aisle were found during the excavations. The South Transept (31½ ft. by 31 ft.)
retains the base of a 12th-century pilaster in the
S.W. angle and the core of the walls. Opening
from the E. side is an apsidal chapel of horseshoe form, still retaining some of its internal
plastering. The Nave (with its aisles 165½ ft. by
64½ ft.) has remains of three responds of the S.
aisle vault and of a projecting doorway or porch in
the seventh bay from the E. The S. W. Tower is
represented by a large fragment of its S. W. clasping
The Cloister (about 99 ft. square) has almost
entirely gone. On the E. side there are remains of
the E. and N. walls of the Chapter House. The
range N. of the chapter house retains the base of
most of the E. wall with two early 16th-century
fireplaces with tile-on-edge hearths and a passage
to the Infirmary. The remains of the Infirmary,
Hall, Chapel, and Misericorde, Frater, etc., are
sufficiently represented on the plan. The position
and size of the Dorter and Rere-dorter were discovered by excavation, but the only portion now
showing above ground is the chamfered plinth of
one of the columns of the dorter range with rebated
The Fire-Bell Gate or Cemetery Gate (Plate
p. 7) forms the present entrance into the parish
churchyard. It is of two storeys with an embattled
parapet, diagonal buttresses and an octagonal
stair-turret at the N.W. angle. It was built in
the 15th century, and has inner and outer archways with moulded jambs, four-centred arches and
labels; above each archway is a niche with an
ogee head much decayed. The upper floor formed
the chapel of the Holy Rood and has in the E.
and W. walls a window of three cinque-foiled lights
in a four-centred head; there are similar windows
in the N. and S. walls now blocked with brick.
Below and to the N. of the E. window is a late
12th or early 13th-century Rood in stone (Plate
p. 7) with figures of the Virgin and St. John;
the cross is of raguly form and the ground-work is
diapered fretty in broad interlaced bands. The
head of the cross has been damaged by the window
sill above it.
To the N. of the gate are remains of the former
b(4) Eastbury House, house, garden and barns,
about 1 m. E. of the church. The House (Plate
p. 11) is of three storeys; the walls are of red
brick with some diaper-work in black headers,
and the roofs are mostly tiled. It was built
probably in the middle of the 16th century on an
H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the E. and
W. ends; on the S. the wings are joined by a wall
to form an enclosed courtyard.
The house is an unusually complete example of
a mid-16th-century brick mansion of medium size.
The mural paintings, though much damaged, are
of particular interest.
Eastbury House, Plan
Elevations.—All elevations are arranged symmetrically with the exception of the porch on the
N. front; the walls have a moulded plinth; the
windows had plaster dressings to imitate stonework, but have recently been restored with cement;
the gables are all flanked and surmounted by the
corbelled bases of former pinnacles; the lower
pinnacles are square and set diagonally, the upper
are hexagonal. The North Front has on each
floor a range of original mullioned and transomed
windows, mostly of three lights, several partly
restored. The main block has two gabled dormers
for the third storey. Adjoining the N.W. wing is
a small porch wing of three stages; the entrance
has moulded jambs and four-centred head with a
square moulded label; above it is a pseudoGothic pediment with a panelled tympanum and
three attached pinnacles. Between the main
block and the wings are two chimney-stacks, the
eastern with three and the western with two
octagonal shafts having moulded engaged bases
The East Elevation has three gables similar to
those on the N. front. On each of the first and
second floors were seven three-light windows uniform with those on the N. front, but two have
been destroyed by modern doorways and others
are blocked; in the middle is an original square-headed doorway with chamfered oak frame.
On the South Elevation the house surrounds three
sides of a courtyard which is enclosed on the S.
by a brick wall containing an original square-headed doorway with a chamfered oak frame.
The wings have gables similar to those already
described; under each is a square-headed gablelight, and a three-light window to each storey.
In the N.W. angle of the courtyard is an octagonal
stair-turret with plastered quoins, and a moulded
parapet with traces of a pinnacle at each angle;
it is lighted by square-headed windows with
moulded labels, and has in the S.E. face a square-headed oak-framed doorway with a moulded label.
There was formerly a similar stair-turret in the
N.E. angle of the courtyard but its outer walls
have fallen; it has a sunk and moulded handrail. S. of each turret and projecting towards the
courtyard from the angle of each wing is a garderobe to the height of the second storey with a
square-headed opening at the base for clearing the
pit; the W. opening is now blocked. The main
block has on the ground floor, two, and on the
first floor, one, two-light windows; in the middle
is a broad chimney-stack with five shafts having
moulded bases and cappings; between the shaft
and the ruined N.E. stair-turret is a segmental
arch springing from moulded corbels. On the
return of each wing is a similar chimney-stack,
the western with three shafts; those of the eastern
have been destroyed above the bases.
The West Elevation is similar to the E. elevation,
but has no original entrance except a square-headed, oak-framed doorway, now blocked, which
apparently opened into a basement.
Interior—On the ground-floor the main block
was originally occupied by the Great Hall (about
40 ft. by 21 ft.), but is now divided by modern
partitions; the E. wing was formerly occupied by
a passage and two rooms, each with a fireplace
of which only the semi-circular brick arch is now
visible; the W. or kitchen wing is almost entirely
altered; but one room is lined with panelling
probably of early 17th-century date; the turretstaircases have a moulded brick handrail, and the
western retains its central oak newel and solid
oak treads. On the first floor the main block was
originally occupied by the Great Chamber; in
the S. wall is a fireplace, now blocked; the walls
are plastered and on the E. and S. retain traces
of elaborate painted decoration of late 16th or
early 17th-century date (Plate p. 10), consisting of
well-executed panels with landscapes and seascapes in an architectural setting comprising a
panelled dado and round-headed arches flanked by
twisted Corinthian columns; until recently similar
columns were visible on the N. wall. On the S.
wall above the fireplace is a crudely painted landscape and a shield with the arms of More of Cheshire;
the whole is in an architectural composition similar
to that of the E. wall and there are traces of a
seascape in one side bay. In the long gallery is an
original fireplace of stone; the lintel is enriched
with lozenge-shaped panels.
The brick Garden Walls, E. of the house, are of
the 16th century and contain small triangular-headed niches, possibly for hives. W. of the house
are remains of the walls of a similar square garden.
Two Barns, S.W. of the house, were of the 16th
or 17th century, but have now been destroyed.
Condition—Of house and garden walls, good.
a(5). Court House, on the W. side of Broadway, 50 yards E.N.E. of the church, is of two
storeys; the walls are of rough cast and weather-boarded timber-framing, and the roofs are partly
slated and partly tiled. It was built in 1567, the
date carved, with a crowned fleur-de-lis and the
initials E.R., on a stone set in the chimney-stack,
and is of rectangular plan (externally 70 ft. by
22 ft.). The upper storey, containing the court
room, projects on the E. and W. and on this side
has a moulded eaves-cornice; the lower storey is
cut up into three divisions of which the central
or largest forms a market-house formerly open to
the street on both sides through wooden arcades,
now blocked, each of four bays with octagonal
posts and chamfered struts forming four-centred
arches; the posts on the W. side have chamfered
bases, those on the E. side have moulded capitals
and bases. The N. and S. divisions are both
enclosed; the northern contains in its western
half the 'cage' which opened towards the W.
through wooden bars now boarded up, and in its
eastern half is the original well-staircase with solid
treads; the S. division forms part of a small caretaker's dwelling, which occupies both floors;
on the lower floor in the E. wall are two original
three-light windows with moulded mullions, and
in the W. wall is a similar window now blocked.
The upper storey now has three modern windows
in the E. wall but was originally lighted by a range
of four-light windows set high up in the wall on
each side; these windows are no longer visible
except for one with moulded mullions in the E.
wall; a similar mullion is also visible in the N.
wall. The court room formerly had the dais at
the S. end; on the S. wall are the Elizabethan
royal arms, in plaster relief, and on the N. wall is
a painted panel of the royal arms of Queen Anne.
Over the staircase is a fragment of the original
elliptical ceiling with a moulded cornice; the roof
is of queen-post type without the collar-beam.
b(6). Outbuilding and barns at Gale Street
Farm, 2¼ m. E.N.E. of the church. The Outbuilding is of one storey; the walls are of brick
with occasional blocks of ashlar; the roofs are
tiled. It is a rectangular fragment of a larger
building of mid or late 16th-century date, but
has been much altered; the partitions, windows
and doorways are modern. At the S.W. angle is
the lower part of an octagonal turret, containing a
square-headed doorway on the ground and first
Four Barns, S.W. of the outbuilding, are of
weather-boarded timber-framing and have thatched
roofs. They are probably of the 17th century,
and have massive tie-beams with curved braces.
Condition—Of outbuilding, fragmentary; of