4. BARNSTON. (E. a.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxiii. N.W.).
Barnston is a small parish, 2 m. S.E. of Great
Dunmow. The principal monument is the Church.
(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown),
stands towards the N. end of the parish. The
walls are probably of flint-rubble but are covered
with plaster; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was
built probably c. 1160–70. The Chancel was
probably re-built in the 13th century. The Bellcote may be of the 17th century.
Among the fittings the piscina is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¾ ft.
by 16½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall are two windows, the eastern completely
restored and the western a small 13th-century
lancet window with chamfered and rebated jambs
and head. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern similar to the eastern window in the N.
wall; the western has a segmental-pointed head
and is possibly a 13th-century 'low-side' window,
enlarged; between the windows are traces of a
The Nave (43½ ft. by 18½ ft.) has in the N. wall
three windows, the easternmost is completely restored; the two western windows have each a
single 12th-century light with a round head but
the eastern window of the two is now blocked;
between the two western windows is the blocked
N. doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred arch, probably of late 13th-century date.
In the S. wall there are two windows in the lower
range, the eastern is of the 15th century and of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery
under a square head; the moulded label has head
stops; the western window is modern; further W.
is the 12th-century S. doorway (Plate p. xxxi) with a
moulded semi-circular arch of two orders, the outer
is original and the inner with the tympanum is
modern; the outer order of the jambs has attached
shafts with scalloped capitals; adjoining the W.
capital is a spiral ornament; the inner order has
grooved and chamfered imposts; high up in the
wall are two modern windows. A narrow space
at the W. end of the nave is shut off by a timber-framed partition partly made up of 15th-century
moulded timbers, re-used.
The Roof of the nave is plastered internally, but
has two late 15th-century or early 16th-century
moulded tie-beams with four-centred arched braces
and moulded wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: two, undated but said to be
of c. 1665. Brass: In nave—on S. wall, to Petyr
Wood, 1525, inscription only. Chest: In gallery
—of oak with moulded feet, 17th-century. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned legs and
moulded top rails with carved consoles, mid or
late 17th-century. Door: In S. doorway—with
feathered battens and strap-hinges, probably 16th-century. Glass: In nave—in S.W. window, round-headed panel with trellis pattern and quarries with
half fleur-de-lis, probably early 14th-century, made
up with modern glass. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall to
Robert Scott, S.T.P., Dean of Rochester, etc.,
1620, slate and marble tablet with strap ornament
and three shields of arms. Floor-slabs: In
chancel—(1) to Richard Scott, 1625; (2) to
Dorothy, 1706; (3) Anne, 1712; and (4) Elizabeth,
1699, daughters of Robert and Barbara Stile; (5)
to William Collard, 1688, and Judeth, his wife,
1665; (6) to Nicholas Collard, 1680; (7) to
William Collard, 1698. In nave—(8) to Nicholas
Exton, 1651. Piscina (Plate p. 6): In chancel
—double, with moulded, interlacing and semi-circular arches resting on a free shaft and jambs
with attached shafts all with foliated capitals
and moulded bases; arches set in a square moulded
head with foliated spandrels; central lintel and
responds with moulded and foliated imposts,
quatre-foiled drains, c. 1200, and possibly brought
from elsewhere, middle shaft modern. Plate:
includes cup and stand-paten of 1712. Poor Box:
of oak with three locks, probably 17th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, some stone work much
(2). Newhouse Farm, house and moat, 1,400
yards S. by E. of the church. The House is of
two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the
17th century. The original central chimney-stack
has grouped shafts set diagonally on a cross-shaped
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good.
(3). Barnston Hall, house and outbuilding,
150 yards W. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered and the roofs are tiled. It
was built c. 1570–80, but may incorporate portions
of a 15th-century house with a Hall and a Solar
Wing at the W. end. There are modern additions
on the N. side. On the N. side there are several
late 16th-century windows with solid moulded
frames and mullions. The central chimney-stack,
of the same date, has grouped shafts set diagonally
on a rectangular base. Inside the building the
easternmost room on the ground floor has an open
fireplace of brick, with stop-chamfered jambs
and four-centred arch set in a square head. The
westernmost room has an open fireplace with a
chamfered oak lintel and two late 16th-century
doors with moulded muntins and ledges. On the
first floor there are two brick fireplaces with four-centred arches and one with a raised hearth and
moulded oak curb. The reconstructed roof includes smoke-blackened timbers, probably those
of the original Hall.
The Outbuilding, N.E. of the house, is of one
storey, timber-framed and plastered; the roof
is tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in
the 17th century. The timber-framing of the W.
wall has brick nogging. The interior is divided
into three bays by chamfered tie-beams.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled
or thatched. Some of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(4). The Rectory, 440 yards E.S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics; it has large modern
additions on the E. and S. sides. Inside the
building the hall has 16th and 17th-century
panelling brought from elsewhere and made up
with modern work. The staircase has some late
17th-century turned balusters.
(5). Aptonfield Farm, house at Hounslow Green,
1600 yards S. by E. of the church. It is of two
storeys with attics, and was built in the 15th
century with a central Hall and cross-wings at
the E. and W. ends. A floor was inserted in the
Hall in the 16th century and the cross-wings have
been shortened making the plan rectangular. The
late 16th-century central chimney-stack has
attached diagonal pilasters and rectangular base.
Inside the building on the first floor there is an
original chamfered tie-beam and shaped wall-posts in the westernmost room.
(6). Shoulder Hall, house 1 m. S. by W. of the
church. The original central chimney-stack is
cross-shaped on plan.
(7). Mawkinherd's Farm, house about 1 m.
S.W. of the church, was built originally in the
15th century to which date the cross-wing at the
E. end belongs; the main block has been subsequently re-built. On the N. front the upper
storey formerly projected at the end of the cross-wing but has been under-built. Inside the building
on the ground-floor the E. wing has an original tie-beam with curved braces. In the main block,
the westernmost room has early 16th-century
moulded beams with foliated stops; there are
indications that the house formerly extended
(8). Wellstye Farm, house 180 yards N.W. of
(7), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the
S.W. end. The upper storey projects at the S.E.
end of the cross-wing with one curved bracket.
The gable-end of the N.E. wing has a late 16th-century moulded barge-board possibly re-used.
(9). Albanes, house, 300 yards N.E. of (8), is
of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the S.E. and N.E. There are modern additions on
the N.E. On the N.W. side there is a door of
moulded battens and a three-light window, both
original. Inside the building there is a panelled
door and some panelling forming a dado, both
(10). Brook Farm, house 500 yards W. of the
church, was built probably in the 16th century on
an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the E. and N. In the 17th century a large wing
and staircase were added in the angle of the earlier
wings. Inside the building, on the first floor, there
are three original windows with moulded frames
and mullions, and a 17th-century door.
(11). Cottage, now two tenements, 660 yards
N.W. of (10). The roof has chamfered tie-beams
and wall-plates and wind-braced purlins.