8. BLACK NOTLEY. (F.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxiv. N.W. (b)xxxiv. N.E. (c)xxv.
Black Notley is a small parish and village 1½ m.
S. of Braintree. Stanton's Farm and Black
Notley Hall are the most important monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Peter and St.
Paul stands W. of the village. The walls are of
flint and pebble-rubble with a few dressed stones in
the E. wall; the angle-buttresses of the chancel
are of 17th-century brick. The roofs are covered
with tiles. The Nave was built probably in the
first half of the 12th century, and the Chancel
may be of the same date, but was probably re-built
in the 15th or early 16th century. In the first
half of the 16th century the South Porch was built,
and the West Bell Turret was added probably at
the same time. In 1682 angle-buttresses were
added to the chancel, and in the 19th century
the North Vestry and Organ Chamber was built,
and the church was drastically restored.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (28 ft.
by 22½ ft.) has brick angle-buttresses of which one
has stone panels with the date 1682 and the letters
I.P. In the E. wall is a modern window. In the
N. wall are a modern doorway and an archway
opening into the vestry and organ-chamber; W.
of these is a 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights and tracery in a square head, almost
entirely restored. In the S. wall is a modern
The Nave (41 ft. by 22½ ft.) is not structurally
divided from the chancel. In the N. wall are three
windows, of which the easternmost is modern;
the two western are each of a single round-headed
light of early 12th-century design, but almost
entirely restored. Between the two western windows is the 12th-century N. doorway, now blocked;
it has a semi-circular rear-arch, but is scarcely
visible externally. Between the screen and the
easternmost window is the lower doorway of the
former staircase to the rood-loft; it has an
oak frame, possibly old, with a pointed arch in a
square head; above it the four-centred arch of the
upper doorway is visible, now blocked; outside
is a brick loop lighting the space, and very slight
indications that the turret originally projected
from the wall. In the S. wall are three windows;
the easternmost is of two trefoiled ogee lights
and tracery in a two-centred head; the tracery
and external stonework are modern, but the
internal angles of the splays, which have a keeled
edge-roll, and the chamfered pointed rear-arch
are of the 14th century, slightly restored; the
two western windows are round-headed and of the
12th century, but almost entirely restored;
between them is the plain semi-circular headed S.
doorway of the 12th century, very much restored;
E. of the easternmost window is the E. jamb and
part of the arch of a third 12th-century window.
In the W. wall is a 15th-century window of three
cinque-foiled lights and vertical tracery in a four-centred head, all much restored; above it is a
The West Bell-Turret is probably of early 16th-century date. It is carried on timber-framing
from the floor of the church; the E. side of the
framing is of three bays, of which the central
bay has curved struts forming a four-centred arch;
the other bays have cross-braces. The upper part
or lantern of the turret is square and has curved
struts on the N. and S. sides, and a pyramidal
roof with an octagonal spirelet, both covered with
shingles; the square lantern is covered with
The South Porch is modern except the roof (see
The Roof of the chancel has a moulded tie-beam and moulded and embattled wall-plate of
late 15th or early 16th-century date, but the rest
of the construction is hidden by a modern ceiling.
The roof of the S. porch is of the first half of the
16th century; it has moulded N. and S. tie-beams,
moulded principal rafters and purlins and chamfered
common rafters, and modern wall-plates; all the
main timbers have foliage stops.
Fittings—Brass Indent: (see under Monuments)
Chair: In chancel—with back and seat made up of
17th-century oak panels; the back has carved
arched ornament and moulded uprights, and the top
rail is moulded but does not fit the back; the rest
is modern. Chest: In nave—at W. end, N. side,
dug-out chest, apparently of sycamore, with plain
iron band-hinges. Door: In S. doorway—modern,
but has on outside 12th-century semi-circular
and horizontal iron strap and other ironwork,
rest apparently copied from old ironwork. Glass:
In chancel—in N. window, in the heads of the
two lights, remains of 15th-century tabernacle-work with ruby filling. Monuments and Floor-slabs: In nave—at W. end (1) on S. side, floor-slab of Purbeck marble with remains of marginal
inscription in Lombardic capitals originally filled
with latten: "Sire Water de Wydenal iadis
person de cest (eglise ?) gist ici Dieu de sa alme
eyt merci amen," c. 1300; (2) on N. side, to James
Coker, 1702, and Mary (Clopton), his wife, 1720.
In churchyard—S. of nave (3) slab to Hump.
Nendick of London, 1707, and Mary (Walford),
his wife, afterwards widow of Capt. Thos. Kitching,
1722; (4) to John Ray, M.A., F.R.S., 1705–6,
monument with square panelled pedestal surmounted by obelisk with carved shields, all restored
at various periods. Painting: In nave—on inner
stones of N. doorway, slight traces of colouring.
Piscina: In nave—in S. wall, with cinque-foiled
pointed head, chamfered and hollow-chamfered
jambs with broach stops, and quatrefoil drain,
partly restored, 14th-century. Plate: Includes a
cover-paten of 1567, and an ornamented cup,
probably of the same date, but repaired. Sedile:
In chancel—in S. wall, fitted with oak frame, having
an old segmental-pointed head and modern jambs,
probably 14th-century. Stoup: Outside in S.
wall—E. of S. doorway, rough stone basin, partly
broken, in rough triangular-headed recess,
probably early 16th-century.
Condition—Good, but much restored.
a(2). In field adjoining churchyard on the N.
a(3). S.E. of Wren Park Farm, 1 m. S.W. of
the church, fragment only.
a(4). At Dagnetts Farm, 300 yards W. of (3).
a(5). Black Notley Hall and barn, 100 yards
S. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built in the 15th century with a central
Hall, but the house has been extensively altered
and enlarged at some uncertain date, and the
original plan has been entirely obscured. Inside
the building the lower storey has some chamfered
ceiling-beams. In the upper storey are some
original moulded and embattled ceiling-beams and
wall-plates. In the roof are remains of three
original king-post trusses; the octagonal king-posts have moulded bases and capitals and four-way struts.
The Barn, W. of the house, is timber-framed and
weather-boarded; the roof is tiled. It was built
in the 15th century and is of five bays.
Condition—Of house and barn, good, house
b(6). Stanton's Farm, house, ¾ m. S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built c. 1340
with an aisled central Hall and Solar and Buttery
wings at the W. and E. ends respectively. The
Hall was divided into two storeys and a chimney-stack inserted, probably in the 16th century; soon
after a wing running N. and S. was added at the
E. end, and at some uncertain date the Solar wing
and the greater part of the aisles of the Hall were
destroyed. There are modern additions on the N.
and S. sides of the former Hall.
The 14th-century roof-truss and the capitals of
the oak columns are of exceptional interest.
The easternmost wing has a 17th-century
Interior—The former Hall (34 ft. by 14 ft.
without the aisles), was of two bays with the
screens at the E. end and a semi-octagonal oriel
projecting from the W. bay on the N. side. In
the E. wall are two original doorways with two-centred arches, now blocked. The original roof-truss (Plate p. 114) between the bays is exposed
in the upper storey, and rests on octagonal columns
with moulded capitals; the lower parts of the
columns have been cut away or buried in the
later walls; the tie-beam is hollow-chamfered and
is supported by curved and moulded braces
springing from the columns and forming a two-centred arch; other curved and hollow-chamfered
braces support the hollow-chamfered plates on
which rest moulded cornices. The roof is framed
round the opening to the former oriel, and has
curved brackets to the tie-beam. The timbers
of the main roof and of the oriel are smoke-blackened. The Buttery Wing has original exposed
timber-framing, and the 17th-century wing has an
open timbered ceiling.
Stanton's Farm, Black Notley
a(7). The Rectory, about 400 yards N.E. of
the church, is of two storeys with a cellar and
attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered,
and the roofs are covered with tiles and slate. It
was built probably early in the 17th century, but
early in the 18th century was completely altered
on a plain rectangular plan; there are modern
additions on the N. and E. sides. A few windows
are of early 18th-century date. Inside the building, on the ground floor, one room has an original
moulded ceiling-beam, and another a chamfered
ceiling-beam. The 18th-century staircase has
twisted balusters and a moulded hand-rail. There
are several original doors in the house, one of which
is panelled and the rest battened; all have original
c(8). Black Notley Lodge (Plate p. 270),
about 1,000 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys,
with cellar and attics; the walls are of brick and
the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th
or early in the 18th century. There is a modern
addition at the S.E. angle. The elevations have a
plain plinth, a string-course between the storeys,
and a moulded cornice below the parapet; at the
angles are plain pilasters. The doorway on the
W. front has an eared architrave, and a pediment
resting on projecting brackets; above it is an
arched recess of rusticated work. The N. and S.
elevations have each two shaped gables. Some of
the windows have original double-hung sashes.
Inside the building, across the entrance hall, is a
panelled archway with moulded imposts and
panelled responds. The N.W. room on the
ground floor has panelled walls and a moulded
cornice, and the S.E. room has a panelled dado.
The staircase has twisted balusters, a moulded
handrail and carved brackets to the string. The
landing on the first floor has a moulded cornice.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled or thatched. Many have original chimneystacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—When not specially mentioned, good
or fairly good.
c(9). Cottage, on the E. side of the Braintree
Road, 180 yards N. of (8), with a modern addition
on the N.E. The upper storey projects and is
gabled at the W. end of the S. front. The original
central chimney-stack is of cross-shaped plan.
c(10). Cottage, on the W. side of the Braintree
Road, 250 yards N.N.W. of (9), is of L-shaped
plan with the wings extending S. and W. Modern
cottages adjoin it on the N.E., and there is a
modern addition on the W. of the S. wing. The
original chimney-stack in the S. wing has grouped
a(11). Oak Farm, house, about 750 yards W.
of the church, was originally of L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the E. and S.
There are modern additions on the N. side and in
the angle between the wings.
a(12). Ludham Hall, farmhouse, about ¾ m.
W.N.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the E. and N.; there
are modern additions on the N. and E.
Baker's Lane, N. side
a(13). Cottage, now two tenements, 1,500 yards
W.S.W. of the church.
a(14). Cottage, now two tenements, 500 yards
S.W. of (13), was built in the 15th century,
probably with a central Hall and cross-wings at
the E. and W. ends; the W. wing is a modern rebuilding. The upper storey projects and is gabled
at the E. end of the S. front, and has two curved
brackets. The central chimney-stack has three
attached shafts, set diagonally. Inside the building,
on the first floor, is an original window in the E.
wall; it is now blocked, but has diamond-shaped
mullions. At the W. end of the house is a braced
and cambered tie-beam with the mortice for a
a(15). Fryer's Farm, house, about 1¼ m. S.W. of
the church, was originally of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the W. and N.
There are 18th-century or modern extensions to
both wings. In the W. wall of the N. wing is an
original panelled door. The original central
chimney-stack has grouped diagonal shafts and
pilasters. Inside the building are two old doors
of moulded battens.
a(16). Cottage (Plate p. 128), E. of Young's End,
and 1½ m. S.W. of the church, may perhaps be
the middle part of a 15th or early 16th-century
house. The first floor and chimney-stack are
probably of c. 1600, and there are modern additions at both ends. Inside the building, on the
first floor, are two original windows, now blocked;
one is of five lights with diamond-shaped mullions,
and the other was of four lights, but the mullions
a(17). The Mill House, 600 yards E. of the
church, has an early 18th-century addition on
the W. and modern additions on the N. and E.
The 18th-century addition has a mansard roof.