9. BOBBINGWORTH. (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)l. N.E. (b)li. N.W. (c)li. S.W.)
Bobbingworth is a small parish 2 m. N.W. of
b(1). Parish Church of St. Germain stands in
the middle of the parish. The Nave was re-built
or entirely re-faced probably late in the 18th
century, and the Chancel was re-built and the
Tower added in the 19th century. The Roof of
the nave is of uncertain date; it is of the trussed
rafter type with one stop-chamfered tie-beam and
Fittings—Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall,
(1) to William Bourn, 1581, inscription and
achievement of arms. On S. wall, (2) to Robert
Bourne, 1639; inscription and two shields. Chest:
In vestry—iron-bound with shaped feet, four slits
for coins, two staples, probably late 17th-century,
now painted. Panelling: In nave—on N. and
S. walls, dado made up of late 16th-century and
later panelling, upper range of panels with raised
centres, moulded top rail largely modern. Clerk's
desk, next to pulpit, made up of similar panelling.
Piscina: In nave—re-set in S. wall, with moulded
two-centred arch, jambs with attached shafts
having moulded bases and capitals carried along
as imposts, 13th-century. Plate: Includes cup
of 1635, and paten probably of 1683 inscribed
"Bovinger 1684." Pulpit: Of oak, hexagonal,
with moulded top and rail, angle-posts with simple
arabesque enrichment, panelled sides with plain
jewel ornament and upper panels also with
arabesques, poor work, early 17th-century.
Condition—Rebuilt, nave poor, owing to subsidence of S. wall.
b(2). Homestead Moat, S.E. of the church.
b(3). Gainthorpes, house and moat, 300 yards
N. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and covered with rough-cast and
weather-boarding; the roofs are tiled. It was
built in the 17th century on a rectangular plan
with gables at the N. ends of the E. and W. sides.
The chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and covered with plaster
or weather-boarding. The roofs are tiled. Some
of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams,
wide fireplaces and original chimney-stacks.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(4). Bobbingworth Hall, house, about 100 yards
S.W. of the church, has an original outbuilding at
the back. Inside the building is an old oak door
of moulded battens.
b(5). Newhouse, house, 800 yards N. of the church,
was built on a half H-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the N. and with a staircase
wing on the N. side. Inside the building is some
a(6). Bobbingworth Lodge, house, 1 m. N.W. of
the church, has a modern addition in front and
has been partly re-faced. The original chimney-stack has six octagonal shafts with moulded bases.
a(7). House, now tenements, at Lower Bobbingworth Green, 1,100 yards W.S.W. of the church.
c(8). Waterend Farm, house, 1 m. S.S.E. of the
church, was built on an L-shaped plan with the
wing extending towards the W., and has modern
additions on the N., W. and S.