20. DAGENHAM. (C.f.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxvi. S.W. (b)lxxiv. N.W. (c)lxxiv. N.E.
(d)lxxiv. S.W. (e)lxxiv. S.E.)
Dagenham is a village and extensive parish
adjoining Barking and Ilford on the E.
c(1). Parish Church of S.S. Peter and Paul
stands in the village. The walls are of rubble,
covered with cement; the dressings are of limestone and the roofs are covered with tiles and slates.
The Chancel was built early in the 13th century.
The North Chapel is mentioned as new in a will
of 1475. The Nave and West Tower were re-built
between the years 1800 and 1805.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (40½ ft.
by 14 ft.) has in the E. wall three early 13th-century
lancet windows, covered with cement externally and
internally. In the N. wall is a late 15th-century
arcade of two bays with moulded four-centred
arches; the column has four attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases, and the responds have
each one similar attached shaft; further E. is a
modern doorway. In the S. wall are four windows;
the two eastern are lancet windows, entirely restored; the third window is of the 15th century
and of two lights, with the former cinque-foiled
cusping cut away; the westernmost window is
similar to the third, but has restored heads. The
chancel-arch is modern.
The North Chapel (36 ft. by 14 ft.) is of late
15th-century date with an embattled parapet,
except the E. wall, which is of the 18th century.
It has no other ancient features.
Fittings—Altar: In chancel—stone slab with
chamfered under edge and two consecration crosses.
Brasses and Indent. Brasses: see Monuments.
Indent: In chancel—of figure of priest or woman
with scroll and marginal inscription. Chest: In
N. chapel—heavily bound with iron, three hasps
and staples, 17th-century. Door: In doorway of
N. chapel—of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, probably late 17th-century. Funeral
Helms: In chancel—on N. wall, with gauntlets
and sword; on S. wall, helm and gauntlets, all
17th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. side, (1) of [Sir Thomas
Urswyk, 1479, chief baron of the exchequer and
recorder of London], plain altar-tomb with moulded
slab, brass figure of man in judicial robes, but
without coif or hood, and woman in butterfly head-dress, etc., feet on dog; two shields of arms; (a)
quarterly 1 and 4 on a bend, three lozenges, for
Urswik, 2 and 3 a bend engrailed between two . . . .?
impaling a cheveron between three crosslets; (b) the
impaled coat of (a); group of nine daughters, one
of them habited as a nun and two in butterfly
head-dress, indents of two shields, group of four
sons and marginal fillet; (2) on S. wall, to Jacob
Uphill, 1662, and Ann, his wife, 1667, white marble
tablet, erected in 1707. In N. chapel—on E. wall,
(3) to James Harvy, 1627, alabaster tablet with
carved frame, black marble Corinthian side-columns, cornice and three shields of arms; on N.
wall, (4) to Jonathan Lloyd, 1652, oval tablet with
alabaster frame and achievement of arms; (5) of
Sir Richard Alibon, 1688, justice of the King's
Bench, large marble monument with standing
figures of man in judicial robes, and wife, urn and
shield of arms. In churchyard—(6) to Thomas
Witham, 1646, and Bridget, his wife, 1655, table-tomb with panelled sides; (7) to Captain Richard
Comyns, 1700, table-tomb with shield of arms.
Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) to Mary, daughter
of Michael Thompson, 1687–8; (2) to Thomas
Bonham, 1676, and Anne, his wife (?), 1678, with
two shields of arms; (3) to Dr. Thomas Comyns,
1656, with shield of arms. Piscina: In chancel—
with two-centred head, Purbeck marble sill and
quatre-foiled drain, 13th-century, restored. Plate:
includes egg-shaped cup of 1589 (York marks),
engraved bands and pendants of fruit, fluted knop
to stem and trumpet-shaped base; stand-paten of
1678, and large cup of same date, with marks
defaced. Screen: In N. chapel—parclose with
middle post and five bays on each side with four-centred heads and moulded mullions, moulded top
and chamfered middle rails, close lower panels,
early 16th-century, two bays removed for modern
The Church, Communion Cup, 1587
Condition—Good, much altered.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Valence House, 1¾ m.
N.W. of the parish church.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Several
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
e(3). Cross Keys Inn, 20 yards N.W. of the
parish church, was built probably in the 15th
century with a central Hall and cross-wings at the
E. and W. ends. The upper storey projected at the
S. end of both cross-wings, but in the E. wing it
has been under-built. On the N. side of the Hall,
at the E. end is an original doorway, with a four-centred head. Inside the building, the Hall has
an original moulded ceiling-beam and in the roof
is a cambered tie-beam with the mortice for a
e(4). Vicarage, 40 yards N.N.E. of the parish
church, is of two storeys with attics. The middle
portion at the back of the house is probably of
early 17th-century date, but the front part was
re-built in 1665, the date on the gable of porch.
There are modern additions on the E. and W.
Inside the porch is a late 17th-century pavement
of black and white squares.
e(5). Eastbrooks Farm, cottage, two tenements,
760 yards N.W. of the parish church. The upper
storey projects on the W. side.
c(6). Eastbrook Farm, house, about 1¼ m. N. by
W. of the parish church.
c(7). Cottage, two tenements, 550 yards W. of (6).
d(8). Cottage, on S.W. side of Halbutt Street and
about 1 m. N.W. of the parish church. The original
central chimney-stack has a diagonal pilaster on
d(9). Osborne's Farm, house, about 1¼ m. W.S.W.
of the church, was built probably in the 16th
century with a cross-wing at the E. end. The
upper storey projects at the N. end of the cross-wing.
a(10). Padnall's Farm, house, about 3 m. N.N.W.
of the parish church, incorporates part of a 16th-century house, with a projecting upper storey at
the N. end. Inside the building is an original
a(11). Roselane Farm, house, 300 yards N. by W.
of (10), was built in the 15th century with a cross-wing at the N. end. Late in the 16th century a
porch was added on the W. side, and in the
17th century the roof of the main block was
heightened. The gable of the porch has late 16th-century moulded barge-boards and a shaped
pendant. The 17th-century chimney-stack is
cross-shaped on plan.
a(12). Sheepcotes, house, 600 yards N.N.E. of
(11), was built probably late in the 16th century,
but there are extensive 18th-century and modern
additions on the N., S. and W.