21. DODDINGHURST. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lix. N.W. (b)lix. N.E. (c)lix. S.W.
Doddinghurst is a parish about 3½ m. N. of
Brentwood with a small hamlet at Fox Hatch.
b(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands
on the N. side of the parish. The remaining
ancient wall is of flint-rubble; the dressings are
of limestone. The roofs are tiled and the bell-turret weather-boarded and surmounted by a
small shingled spire. The Nave, of which the N.
wall is ancient, may be of the 13th century, the
date of the re-set S. doorway. The South Porch
was added late in the 15th or early in the 16th
century and the bell-turret is probably of the same
date. The church was restored in 1886 when
the Chancel was entirely re-built, the North Vestry
and Organ Chamber added and the S. and W.
walls of the nave either re-built or entirely refaced.
Architectural Description—The Nave (47½ ft.
by 22¼ ft.), has in the N. wall two modern windows.
In the S. wall is a modern window and further W.
the re-set S. doorway of which part of the jambs,
the inner order of the arch and three stones of the
outer order are of c. 1220; the jambs and two-centred arch are of two orders the inner hollow-chamfered and the other moulded, the arch having
"dog-tooth" ornament on the soffit. The bell-turret at the W. end of the nave stands on four
angle and two intermediate posts, all chamfered
and supporting tie-beams with curved braces
and cross-beams to form a square to support the
turret; two modern posts have been inserted.
The South Porch (Plate p. 186) is of timber and
of two bays and stands on modern dwarf walls.
The four-centred outer archway has a moulded
head or fascia and at each side is a moulded sill
both internally and externally; flanking the
archway are two openings with four-centred heads.
The side walls have each ten similar lights; some
of the mullions and all the heads are modern.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and
has four trusses with double-chamfered plates,
chamfered tie-beams, king-posts with four-way
struts, central purlin and trussed rafters. The
roof of the S. porch has two late 15th or early
16th-century tie-beams with curved braces.
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be 1st by
Thomas Laurence, early 16th century and inscribed
"Sancte Nicolai Ora Pro Nobis"; 2nd by James
Bagley, 1712; 3rd by Robert Mot, 1578. Chair:
In vestry—with panelled back and fluted frieze,
shaped arms and turned legs, early 17th-century.
Images: On rood-beam—carved and painted
wooden figures of Crucifix, the Virgin and St.
John, foreign work possibly late 17th-century
and presented by late rector. Monuments: In
churchyard—S.E. of chancel, (1) to Nathaniel Snow,
16–3, John, 1670 (?), and Nathaniel, 1677, his
sons, and Rhoda, wife of Nathaniel Snow, 1697,
low table-tomb with defaced shield of arms; S.
of chancel, (2) to Thomas Mosse, 1712, head-stone
with skull. Panelling: In vestry—incorporated
in modern chest and including four panels with
elaborate strap-ornament and foliage, early 17th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1562 and cover-paten of 1567. Miscellanea: incorporated in
modern credence table, four symetrically turned
balusters c. 1600. In churchyard—stone from
doorway dated 1509 and said to have come from
Wishfield. (See Monument 4.)
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
b(2). About 350 yards S.E. of the church.
b(3). On site of Doddinghurst Place, 700 yards
W. of the church.
d(4). At Wishfield Farm, about 1 m. S. of the
b(5). Doddinghurst Hall, house and moat,
about 150 yards E.N.E. of the church. The House
is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the
17th century but has been entirely refaced with
modern brick. Inside the building are some
original chamfered ceiling-beams.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
d(6). Park Farm, house and moat, about ½ m.
S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built probably late in the 16th century
and has a modern addition on the S. side. The
original chimney-stack is cruciform on plan.
The Moat is incomplete.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
b(7). Swallows Cross Farm, house and moat,
nearly 1½ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House is
of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the
16th century on a rectangular plan. On the E.
and W. sides the upper storey projects and is
gabled at the N. end.
The Moat is fairly complete and lies E. of the
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Many of the
buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
b(8). Priest's House, S.W. of the church, was
built probably in the 16th century.
b(9). Barfields, cottage, ⅓ m. N. of the church.
a(10). The Elms, cottage, ½ m. W.N.W. of the
d(11). Cottage, now two tenements, at fork of
road 2/3 m. S.W. of the church. The original
chimney-stack has diagonal pilaster strips.
c(12). Cow Farm, house, at Doddinghurst
Common, about 1 m. S.W. of the church. The
upper storey projects, on curved brackets, and is
gabled at the N.W. end of the S.W. front.
d(13). Day's Farm, house, about 1½ m. S. by W.
of the church, is of two storeys with attics, and was
built probably in the 16th century on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the S. and
W. Inside the building the timber framing is
exposed and there is an original moulded ceiling-beam. The queen-post roof has tie-beams with
curved braces. On the wall of a room on the first
floor is a painted black-letter inscription above the
fireplace and now protected by glass; the subject
matter is a series of texts, now much defaced.
d(14). Shops Farm, house, nearly 1 m. E.S.E. of
d(15). Petit's Farm, house, about 200 yards
W.S.W. of (14), is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and S.
a(16). The Stocks (Plate p. 258), near Fox
Hatch, ¾ m. W.S.W. of the church, are probably of
early 18th-century date. They are of oak
strengthened with iron, and have two pairs of