29. GOOD EASTER. (E.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xlii. N.E. (b)xlii. S.E. (c)xliii. N.W.
Good Easter is a small parish 6 miles N.W. of
Chelmsford. The Parish Church is interesting.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands
S. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble,
intermixed with some blocks of freestone in the
chancel; the dressings are mostly of clunch;
the roofs are tiled. The earliest detail indicates
a church of c. 1200 consisting of a small Chancel
and a Nave with a narrow chancel-arch flanked
by arched recesses. Probably c. 1220 a narrow
S. Aisle was added, and shortly afterwards the
chancel was re-built or lengthened and the chancel-arch widened, thus reducing the flanking recesses
to half their original width. Early in the 14th
century the S. aisle was widened and the arcade
partly reconstructed. The South Porch was built
in the 15th century and a North Vestry appears to
have been added to the chancel at the same time
but has been removed. The W. end of the nave
was destroyed by fire in 1885 and was re-built,
and the church generally restored.
Good Easter, The Parish Church of St Andrew.
The stone stalls in the chancel are of interest.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30 ft.
by 14 ft.) has an E. window, all modern except
the splays and two-centred rear-arch which are
probably of the 15th century. In the N. wall is a
window all modern except the splays and segmental
rear-arch which are probably of late 14th or 15th-century date. E. of the window is a 15th-century
doorway with a modern rear-arch on the outside
face; it has moulded jambs and four-centred arch;
further W. is a wall arcade of c. 1230–40 and of
five bays with a bench and moulded two-centred
arches alternately carried down to the bench
and springing from corbels with moulded capitals
and short shafts cut back to a point and foliated.
Above the arcading is a moulded string-course
continued under the window and over the doorway at a later date. In the S. wall are two
windows both modern externally and with splays
and segmental rear-arches probably of the 14th
century; E. of the western window is a doorway,
modern externally but with splays and segmental
rear-arch, probably of the 14th century; between
this doorway and eastern window is a wall arcade
similar to that in the N. wall but of four bays,
the bench is stepped up in the first bay of the
arcade and twice more across the window-recess;
above the arcade is a moulded string-course,
stopped at the doorway by a crowned head.
The chancel-arch of c. 1230–40 is two-centred
and of two orders, the outer chamfered and
the inner moulded; the jambs are thicker than
the arch and have an attached shaft with a
moulded base and bell-capital; the moulding
of the abacus is carried round the respond.
The Nave (48½ ft. by 18½ ft.) has in the E. wall
on each side of the chancel arch half of a moulded
two-centred arch, of c. 1200, partly restored;
the projection in which these half-arches are set
is finished with two courses of modern tabling.
In the N. wall are three windows; the two easternmost are modern, but the westernmost is of two
trefoiled lights with vertical tracery, partly restored, in a two-centred head, and probably of late
14th-century date. The N. doorway between the
two westernmost windows has moulded jambs
and a two-centred head with a segmental-pointed
rear-arch; it is probably of late 14th-century date,
but appears to have been re-set in modern flint-work. The S. arcade is of four bays; the two
easternmost probably of the 13th century and the
third, including the third column, probably a 14th-century reconstruction of 13th-century work;
the two easternmost arches are of clunch and of
two chamfered orders, the third arch is of two
chamfered orders with larger chamfers; the westernmost arch is modern; the W. respond is modern
except for a few 13th-century stones re-set at
the base; on the N. side the arches have moulded
labels which meet in a foliated stop over the
first column and change section at the middle
column. The E. respond has an attached semi-octagonal shaft with a moulded capital and double
chamfered base; the first and third columns are
round and the first has a partly restored capital
similar to that of the E. respond; the third
column is of the 14th century and has a modern
capital; the second column is similar to the first
but octagonal. In the W. wall is a window,
modern externally but with splays and round
rear-arch of c. 1200.
The South Aisle (12½ ft. wide), has in the E.
wall a window with modern tracery; the moulded
splays have each a small attached shaft with
moulded capital of the 14th century. In the S.
wall are three windows all modern except for the
splays and high segmental-pointed rear-arch,
which are probably of early 14th-century date;
the 14th-century S. doorway is of two moulded
orders with a two-centred arch and a segmental-pointed rear-arch. In the W. wall is a single-light window all modern except the splays and rear-arch which are probably of the 14th century.
The South Porch is of the 15th century and has a
moulded plinth and an outer archway with a
moulded four-centred arch in a square head with
trefoiled spandrels; the jambs have each an
attached shaft with moulded capital and base;
in each side wall is a window of two four-centred
lights under a square head with a moulded label.
Fittings—Brass and Indent. Brass: In S.
aisle, on S. wall, of Margaret (Buggx), wife of
Thomas Norrington, 1610, with figures of woman
and daughter. Indent: In S. aisle for same
brass. Chair: (Plate p. 103) In chancel—with
panelled back, fluted styles, carved cresting and
shaped arms, mid 17th-century. Coffin-lid:
(Plate p. 103) In chancel—in N. wall, small tapering
slab of Purbeck marble with moulded edge and
foliated cross in high relief, 13th-century. Door:
In chancel—in N. doorway, of two battens with
hollow-chamfered fillets, old oak lock and large
key, 15th-century. Glass: In S. aisle—in easternmost and second windows, fragments in tracery,
including a saint's head, a censing angel, and
tabernacle work, all 14th- and 15th-century.
Helm: In chancel—on N. wall, with pointed
vizor, crest of dog's head below, probably late
16th-century. Paintings: In nave—on back of
recess in E. wall N. of chancel arch, traces of black
line and red ornament, probably 13th-century.
Piscinae: (1) In chancel—with restored two-centred head, and jambs with attached shafts
having moulded capitals and bases, circular drain
probably c. 1230–40; (2) in S. aisle—with chamfered
jambs and two-centred head, square drain, probably
13th-century. Sedilia: In chancel—in S. wall
under easternmost window, seats in continuation
of arcading (see under Architectural Description).
Stoup: In S. porch, with rough four-centred head
and broken basin, late 15th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
c(2). At the site of Imbers, N. of the church.
c(3). In the garden of the Vicarage.
a(4). At the site of Paslowes, 700 yards S.S.W.
of the church.
c(5). At Wares, 1,300 yards E.S.E. of the church.
c(6). At Armours, 1 m. N.E. of the church.
c(7). At Mudwall, ½ m. N.N.E. of the church.
a(8). Fouchers, house and moat, 1,100 yards
S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built in the 15th century with a central
Hall, and Solar and Buttery wings at the W. and
E. ends respectively. On the S. front the upper
storey projects. Inside the building the central
hall, originally open to the roof, has been divided
into two storeys. In the E. wing is a moulded
oak wall-bracket, and in the W. wing is an octagonal
king-post with moulded capital and four-way
The Moat partly surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good, much restored.
d(9). Great Newarks, house and moat, about
1 m. S.E. of the parish church. The House is
of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the
17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and S.; there is a
modern addition at the back. Inside the building
there is some original panelling.
The Moat is circular.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, timber-framed
and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Many of the
buildings have original chimney-stacks, wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(10). Cottage, at Tye Green, ¼ m. N.N.E. of the
c(11). Parsonage House, S.E. of (9) was built
probably late in the 16th century, and has a gabled
cross-wing at the S.W. end. On the front of the
wing the upper storey projects.
c(12). Assers, house, 1,200 yards N.N.E. of the
church, has a gabled cross-wing at the N. end.
On the front of the wing the upper storey projects.
c(13). Pipers, house, 250 yards N.W. of (11).
c(14). Bedfords, house, 150 yards N.E. of (5),
was built probably in the 16th century on an
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the E. and S. On the W. front are three gables.
The two original chimney-stacks have remains
of octagonal shafts. Inside the building is some
original panelling and an original fireplace with a
four-centred head and chamfered jambs.
c(15). Gatehouse (Plate p. 128), 1½ m. E. of the
b(16). Blue House, house 1 m. S.W. of the
church. The original chimney-stack has diagonal
a(17). Cottage, at Ash Ground, 1,100 yards W.
of the church.